Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Addle wrote: »
    I genuinely believe most people, especially newer recruits, work harder in the public sector than private.
    I think that's why it's not attracting external candidates.

I'm in the private sector looking to switch based on what I've seen from some friends. Any of the ones at EO or AO level work there socks of from what I can see. I know two COs who have been doing the same job for a number of years and barely seem to do a jot.

It's like any industry in public or private, some are ambitious and work hard, others barely do enough to get by

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭APcomp

Worth pointing out that the salary of ~66,000 results in the same take home pay of a salary of ~57,600 in the private sector (using taxcalc, not jointly assessed). I know the pension is good (though not anywhere near as good as it used to be/still is for longer serving civil servants), but if you're in your thirties in Dublin (where most of these AP positions will be based) and want to start saving for a house in Dublin then the extra net pay matters. There are a lot of companies in Dublin who pay their staff at this level generously, 75-80k, which results in a net pay for which to get the equivalent net pay in the public sector you would require a gross salary of ~92,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

Why are people applying for public sector so? I mean qualified/experienced older people, not new graduates? You don't even get the flexi at AP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

WAW wrote: »
    Why are people applying for public sector so? I mean qualified/experienced older people, not new graduates? You don't even get the flexi at AP.

A huge thing I hear of is that the conditions of employment are fantastic such as family friendly policies etc... but when same folk try and get Shorter Working Year, Parental Leave (I know there’s a statutory right for it but I know of people who have been blankly refused it), flexible working arrangements etc... they’re just not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kilometres na gcopaleen

WAW wrote: »

I think partly because the "Damocles Sword" of imminent non-employment doesn't exist for the vast majority of Civil Servants at most levels, who perform their job adequately. It is a really terrible feeling to have worked your ass off for a company and then to find out, Presto! you're on the dole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maybenever

APcomp wrote: »
    Worth pointing out that the salary of ~66,000 results in the same take home pay of a salary of ~57,600 in the private sector (using taxcalc, not jointly assessed). I know the pension is good (though not anywhere near as good as it used to be/still is for longer serving civil servants), but if you're in your thirties in Dublin (where most of these AP positions will be based) and want to start saving for a house in Dublin then the extra net pay matters. There are a lot of companies in Dublin who pay their staff at this level generously, 75-80k, which results in a net pay for which to get the equivalent net pay in the public sector you would require a gross salary of ~92,000.

I assume you are considering pension related deductions in this? You should really have a pension in the private sector too you know. You do pay for that, sometimes your employer will contribute, sometimes they won't. Whilst the new pension isn't the same as the old one, it's still worth a lot and it's pretty much defined benefit. Most private pensions are defined contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

So betting on results day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

So betting on results day?

Id say we are looking at a long wait, crime analyst stage two results just took five weeks!

I'm going to hazard a guess at Friday 26th

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Max Mustermann

Id say we are looking at a long wait, crime analyst stage two results just took five weeks!

I was thinking it would be around Friday 19th

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

I was thinking it would be around Friday 19th

At exactly 15:17 as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Max Mustermann

delricyo wrote: »
    At exactly 15:17 as well :)

Maybe Thursday 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭taato

Maybe Thursday 18th

26th at 5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Bingo results 4.30 26th bank holiday weekend ruined either way by not passing or knowing you have to do the tests again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Stage 2 usually takes longer because the etray (or equivalent) has a human correction component.

Stage 1 seems to have taken nine days.

I'm gonna go for Friday 12th at 3.54pm

Stage 2 usually takes longer because the etray (or equivalent) has a human correction component.

Stage 1 seems to have taken nine days.

I'm gonna go for Friday 12th at 3.54pm

Stage two for other comp was just verbal and numerical tests again...... They said there was some delayon shl side or something like that

Would love if results landed end of this week though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭dee75

Stage two for other comp was just verbal and numerical tests again...... They said there was some delayon shl side or something like that

Stage 2 was verbal, numerical, job simulation and etray.

dee75 wrote: »
    Stage 2 was verbal, numerical, job simulation and etray.

We were discussing stage two of a different comp if you look back, which was just verbal and numerical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Wonder would PAS give an idea of the results date if we contacted them....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

sillysocks wrote: »

I nominate you to make the call :)

• Advertisement

sillysocks wrote: »

Are you volunteering as tribute? Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

If someone posts the email here I will!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

duffman13 wrote: »
    I nominate you to make the call :)

Might try if I get out of work in time ! Just wasn’t sure if anyone had asked before.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Are you volunteering as tribute? Haha

Tribal drums rolling......... :D

never_mind wrote: »
    If someone posts the email here I will!

Email is Aprecruitment2018@publicjobs.ie

Done. Will let ya know if they reply!

Done. Will let ya know if they reply!

Good hustle! I feel like I contact them so often between all the comps that they will start blocking me

Good hustle! I feel like I contact them so often between all the comps that they will start blocking me

Got a reply - to be released in the coming weeks. A bit vague so I guess they might not know themselves.

Got a reply - to be released in the coming weeks. A bit vague so I guess they might not know themselves.

Thanks for emailing, they usually are so vague! I rang last Thursday looking for an update on a different campaign and was told results would be out "some time in October". Results issued at 12 the next day!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I rang them regarding results at one of the stages in the 2016 competition and was told it would be at least two weeks before the results were out... they released them later that day.

Advertisement