Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Aitor

I totally agree with you, don't know why I felt like I heard it mentioned or read it somewhere that they would shortlist after stage one..... Maybe it was in a dream!!

I came in under the 2016 conpetition, and I never got the impression they ever shortlist based on the form. They may screen candidate forms prior to the interview, but it always seemed to me that they just shortlist based on test results. Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Stage 1 is the online tests with a caveat that you may be asked to do in person tests at a later stage.
    Stage 2 is shortlisting based on application form.

Be interesting to see what approach they take.

(From what ive read, there was no shortlisting last time)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

I totally agree with you, don't know why I felt like I heard it mentioned or read it somewhere that they would shortlist after stage one..... Maybe it was in a dream!!

They definitely mentioned shortlisting on the initial notice and used it for recent HEO recruitment, where they hadn't previously. I think the logic is that it means people who just don't have the required experience won't make it to interview

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

CBCB wrote: »
    I think the logic is that it means people who just don't have the required experience won't make it to interview

In fairness to PAS they do learn and adapt - especially to deal with situations which have wasted a lot of time and effort

Interviewing a large amount of people who are failing due to not having sufficient experience to meet criteria is a waste of everyone's time - including candidates

Shortlisting makes sense for positions at management level

Riskymove wrote: »
    In fairness to PAS they do learn and adapt - especially to deal with situations which have wasted a lot of time and effort

Interviewing a large amount of people who are failing due to not having sufficient experience to meet criteria is a waste of everyone's time - including candidates

Yep, I agree. It makes sense for AP positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

CBCB wrote: »
    They definitely mentioned shortlisting on the initial notice and used it for recent HEO recruitment, where they hadn't previously. I think the logic is that it means people who just don't have the required experience won't make it to interview

When/how did they do it gor the HEO?
    I'd imagine itll be roughly the same approach.

When/how did they do it gor the HEO?
    I'd imagine itll be roughly the same approach.

They completed the online and supervised as far as I recall. Then the successful applicants were shortlisted based on the application forms submitted. I know a few people were knocked out based on the fact that they didn't have sufficient management experience.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Can anyone remember from 2016 - did they use the same bank of questions in the supervised as the unsupervised?

Exact same- much to my annoyance- there is a particular coal mine that I wished never existed out there somewhere..........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

The cynic in me feels that a LOT more private sector people will be successful from this competition than the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

Where does the AP role fit compared to the Administrative officer and Senior Executive Officer in the local authorities? To me it looks like HEO is somewhere between Senior Staff Officer and Administrative officer and AP is something between the Administrative officer and Senior Executive Officer. Better starting money and leave in the local authority anyway. They don't seem to recruit much though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maybenever

The cynic in me feels that a LOT more private sector people will be successful from this competition than the last one.

They have a lot to offer. Coming from the private sector I'm surprised at the level of ability of some of the people at HEO level tbh and I think there are a shed load of people out there that could easily do an AP job. It obviously varies wildly but I wouldn't be "cynical", I would welcome the fresh outlook and increased competition. Always surround yourself with people better than you.....

they have to start applying first, the rate is very low

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bravenewworld1

they have to start applying first, the rate is very low

How do you know? Regarding external applicant numbers that is....

How do you know? Regarding external applicant numbers that is....

there were reports made after previous competitions. I think Unions published them

there were reports made after previous competitions. I think Unions published them

Thanks. Just curious as to why external applicants seem more attractive? Is it a culture shift within CS? As far as I can see anyone who gets through the application process successfully and does a good interview is in with an equally good chance. Or am I naive? I am an external candidate so am genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Thanks. Just curious as to why external applicants seem more attractive? Is it a culture shift within CS? As far as I can see anyone who gets through the application process successfully and does a good interview is in with an equally good chance. Or am I naive? I am an external candidate so am genuinely curious.

Some people have a perception that PAS would prefer to hire external candidates. Certainly the government would like to see more external candidates, which is why the policy decision was made to open up competitions at more levels to external candidates.

I don't see that there is any evidence that PAS considers externals to be more attractive, that they would place a finger on the scales to bring more of them in, or that they would compromise their processes to preferentially hire externals. As far as I can see the focus has been on trying to advertise more to external candidates, with the presumption being that if you can get them to apply at all the battle is won.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 llcolj

Page 4 of the info booklet says Stage 2 Shortlisting will take place in early to mid October.

This is absent in the 2016 AP booklet.

Subutai wrote: »
    Some people have a perception that PAS would prefer to hire external candidates. Certainly the government would like to see more external candidates, which is why the policy decision was made to open up competitions at more levels to external candidates.

I don't see that there is any evidence that PAS considers externals to be more attractive, that they would place a finger on the scales to bring more of them in, or that they would compromise their processes to preferentially hire externals. As far as I can see the focus has been on trying to advertise more to external candidates, with the presumption being that if you can get them to apply at all the battle is won.

Apparently DPER lamented both the calibre and the quantity of external candidates last time around- and stated they were surprised and unhappy that more high calibre external candidates had not been successful in the competition.

It would seem its DPER- rather than PAS- who have a higher opinion of external candidates- than internal candidates. That said- the bigger issue is at AP level- any reasonable candidate could expect significantly better recompense in the private sector (at other grades too- however, that's not for discussion here).

DPER have it in their head that there is a premium associated with working in the public sector- and for this reason, they do not have to offer a competitive salary/package- however, at AP grade- where you often may not have flexible working opportunities- and you may be on call at all times- that premium may actually be a negative rather than a positive.......

Different strokes for different folks?

DPER and their notions!

Maybenever wrote: »
    They have a lot to offer. Coming from the private sector I'm surprised at the level of ability of some of the people at HEO level tbh and I think there are a shed load of people out there that could easily do an AP job. It obviously varies wildly but I wouldn't be "cynical", I would welcome the fresh outlook and increased competition. Always surround yourself with people better than you.....

I agree.

I know that DPER are very disappointed with the amount of private sector people applying for AP roles therefore I’d be expecting that they’ll try and balance up the scales somehow.

DPER want the best and brightest throughout the Civil Service but they are struggling to attract them and then hold onto them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Simple. External applicants are better, in general. Most CS people have minimal qualifications and a lesser work ethic.

Obviously defensive people will disagree and point out the 1 exception, but..

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    Simple. External applicants are better, in general. Most CS people have minimal qualifications and a lesser work ethic.

Civil Servants are more likely to have a third level education and more likely to be a member of a professional body than a private sector worker.

I love your posts!

Haha! I only wish this were true. I might feel more confidant about the whole process. Unfortunately for me, and many other candidates coming from private sector, I suspect the calibre of candidates from within CS is exceptional. However an injection of new blood into any organisation is beneficial. It's what I tell myself anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1100010110

Are you the one TT, is it you that is the exception?

Do you work in the Public Sector ? If so, you should consider another career avenue cause your negativity can only be bad for you and those surrounding you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Apparently DPER lamented both the calibre and the quantity of external candidates last time around- and stated they were surprised and unhappy that more high calibre external candidates had not been successful in the competition.

Why? I mean, they can't be oblivious to private sector norms - those norms include a substantially better remuneration package at the equivalent of AP level in the private sector. What are they expecting?!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mod

Thumbtaxed

Don't post in this thread again

Why? I mean, they can't be oblivious to private sector norms - those norms include a substantially better remuneration package at the equivalent of AP level in the private sector. What are they expecting?!

There is an element of stubbornness in the manner in which they are unwilling to assess and consider this (and its not just at AP level). If they were to assess people objectively across the board- their fallback position- would be that the premium associated with working in the civil service or the public sector- has a cost associated with it- and while they are willing to put a price on it in some circumstances- they want their cake and to eat it too..........

The fact of the matter is- from EO grade up- particularly in any role that involves a discipline or a specific skillset- staff are and continue to, be hemorrhaging from the public sector. For a significant cohort- flexible working conditions were dangled as an inducement to working in the civil service- however, you can now get selfsame conditions (which are a privilege, not a right) in the private sector.

Look at the number of staff who are jumping ship across all grades- its a frightful waste of talent. Yet- even discussing it- is toxic- and immediately makes you the target of trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

What would people say is an equivalent role to AP in the private sector? Middle management in most private sector companies would be in a similar ball park to the salary on offer especially if you take on board incremements. A loss of a bonus and possible health insurance would be the main area of concern for people making the jump to the public sector IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I genuinely believe most people, especially newer recruits, work harder in the public sector than private.
    I think that's why it's not attracting external candidates.

Advertisement