Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2018 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 CavanGilly

Heard back and they said it was correct and should be viewed as you giving advice to a junior member of staff . Thought it was way off , not sure if allowed to post the screenshot here

Thanks. Still strange. Maybe it was how the option was worded ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

I think I may have overthought on the Numerical one, stayed waaaay to long on specific questions, ended up missing 3 or so questions. Silly. Verbal and Situational seemed okay though. Here's to hoping.

Best of luck folks. And remember it's a crude way of selecting. Or a least that's what I am telling myself.

Most of my civil service colleagues agree that you aren't really supposed to be able to finish these tests. Don't be concerned if you can't finish them. I studied maths for 4 years in college and I still didn't finish them!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Just got the tests done there. The numerical wasn't 2:1 as bad as I had feared :D:D:D. Certainly nothing like the practise tests either.

I found the Verbal more forgiving too.

Had loads of time left over at the end of both tests... Wait now til ya see, I'll have all failed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Time left over on the maths? :eek::eek:
    I tip my hat to you sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

God those maths were terrible. First time ever that I didn't finish them. Not a hope I'll make the next round.

Have to hope the 2016 panel comes up with something before the end of the year.

• Advertisement

Time left over on the maths? :eek::eek:
    I tip my hat to you sir!

About 9 minutes too, couldn't believe it. Those practise tests were awful by comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭APcomp

APcomp wrote: »
    Does anyone know for definite if the numerical does not count towards the ranking, and that you just have to pass it? I understand this was the case for other competitions, but I can't find anything on this in the material we received for this campaign...?

bump

Very interested to know the answer to this... thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭R777B

APcomp wrote: »
    bump

Very interested to know the answer to this... thanks

I dont think they ever specificy until the results are out that the numerical test is a pass/fail. I imagine they hold onto the option of ranking based on that if their numbers are too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I had some time leftover in both too but that doesn’t mean I got them all right! Could just have easily been rushing too much and got extra wrong. Will see what the results bring. Hopefully we won’t be left waiting too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Found it easy.Had a few minutes to spare in verbal and maths and did the last one in 18 minutes. Very basic stuff really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CP30

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    Found it easy.Had a few minutes to spare in verbal and maths and did the last one in 18 minutes. Very basic stuff really.

Lol although you are probably a compete tosser I must say your posts have great comedy value - keep em coming please.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

R777B wrote: »
    I dont think they ever specificy until the results are out that the numerical test is a pass/fail. I imagine they hold onto the option of ranking based on that if their numbers are too high.

Last couple of competitions I did (AO and HEO) the Verbal and Situational scores were the ones used to place you. The numerical just had to be passed.
    I assume this will be the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Sbibii121

Well safely say I'm out based on that numerical test. Verbal and situational was ok. Disappointed as I'd practiced the numerical stuff alot, they are like riddles with equations and ratios thrown. Still have a chance on EO, booked in for etray and more mumerical/verbal tests and going to apply for AO role. Good luck with the results everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gagsvonbuten

There seems to be a dichotomy regarding the numerical testing, some mentioning euro dollar conversions and time problems, others mentioning loads of time and easy. For my part I done them yesterday at 14:00, I had loads of time, noticed no currency conversion questions , had a few that required a lot of dancing across the keys of the calculator, but can honestly say, was surprised how easy. Agree with post that practice qs (and shl )tests were significanctly harder .
    For context found recent HEO testing more challenging( came in top 150 nationally)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There seems to be a dichotomy regarding the numerical testing, some mentioning euro dollar conversions and time problems, others mentioning loads of time and easy. For my part I done them yesterday at 14:00, I had loads of time, noticed no currency conversion questions , had a few that required a lot of dancing across the keys of the calculator, but can honestly say, was surprised how easy. Agree with post that practice qs (and shl )tests were significanctly harder .
    For context found recent HEO testing more challenging( came in top 150 nationally)

I found the recent HEO testing- signficantly easier than this one. In this one I got the currency conversion one (buying a particular product on behalf of a particular company at different times in different currencies etc).

I had plenty of time over doing the verbal and the situational (though god only knows how they mark the situational)- the numerical though- my back was very much against the wall.........

I am guessing we got multiple different sets of tests- that they didn't give everyone the same exam......... sigh- anything is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

CP30 wrote: »

Lol although you are probably a compete tosser I must say your posts have great comedy value - keep em coming please.

Reported for being abusive and less intelligent

I found the recent HEO testing- signficantly easier than this one. In this one I got the currency conversion one (buying a particular product on behalf of a particular company at different times in different currencies etc).

I had plenty of time over doing the verbal and the situational (though god only knows how they mark the situational)- the numerical though- my back was very much against the wall.........

I am guessing we got multiple different sets of tests- that they didn't give everyone the same exam......... sigh- anything is possible.

I had the currency conversion one myself, and finished with time to spare

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Whyalwaysme123

Would u listen to this nonsense. The sound of trumpets being blown. For context, you’re cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

You’re setting yourself up for a fall... again!!!

Would u listen to this nonsense. The sound of trumpets being blown. For context, you’re cringeworthy.

Who's this aimed at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I thought TT was banned from this thread anyway? As will his "friend" new joiner and remarkable likeness, WhyisItAlwaysme123.... ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭tigger123

Don't feed the troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭CP30

Reported for being abusive and less intelligent

Oh you just get better and better, and hey if I get a sanction it will be worth it for calling out what you are...probably...a complete tosser.

For all the other posters on this thread who deserve some actual help I was appointed from the 2016 competition. I scraped through the etray so would not be one to give any advice on this part of it but did really well on my interview so any questions I will try and help.

Re what it is like to work as an AP I really think it not only depends on what Department you work in but your specific section. Personally I am really enjoying it as my work is interesting but most importantly my PO is great. Very knowledgeable and committed to getting the work done but also big on work life balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I assume there's a "bank" of X questions and you randomly get assigned your 18 out of that bank. Likewise for the verbal reasoning. So not everyone will get the exact same questions. I had no currency conversion ones, either.

I wasn't expecting eyesight to be a factor, though. But it seems like SHL wrote their web page for 10" screens, or something; there I was with a 21" monitor, and the "active" bit of the screen I needed to read was all squashed into the top left corner of the monitor.

Odd, as the minimum version of Chrome they said you needed was released in 2014.

Can anyone remember from 2016 - did they use the same bank of questions in the supervised as the unsupervised?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I wonder what the plan is.
    Will they get the results, then do shortlisting and then issue them?

Or will they issue the results and do shortlisting afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

I would imagine results issue first and in the message if successful it will say you will now be put forward for shortlisting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I presume there will be a stage between the online tests and shortlisting for the verification assessment centre in PAS. So many hoops!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

ParkRunner wrote: »
    I presume there will be a stage between the online tests and shortlisting for the verification assessment centre in PAS. So many hoops!

I think they are going to shortlist before the verification tests

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Shortlisting based on the application forms is pretty labour intensive. The etray and verification can be expected to cut out a lot of applicants. It would make the most sense to only shortlist before interview, that way you're reducing the number of application forms you need to process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Subutai wrote: »
    Shortlisting based on the application forms is pretty labour intensive. The etray and verification can be expected to cut out a lot of applicants. It would make the most sense to only shortlist before interview, that way you're reducing the number of application forms you need to process.

I totally agree with you, don't know why I felt like I heard it mentioned or read it somewhere that they would shortlist after stage one..... Maybe it was in a dream!!

Advertisement