Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ submits request to Dept to expand TV services but TV3 objects

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If RTÉ wanted to keep News Now intact with their proposed new channels; the ideal situation here is that if they were flush with LF money is to have live News Now bulletins from say 9am up until midnight that are presented by their own team of reporters mixed in with their other news programmes throughout the day. This idea in my mind would be very much like what BBC World News or their domestic News Channel have done for several years.

The only danger for this idea though for News Now is that there is currently a severe lack of Irish daily news content that would make it look more attractive to global viewers around the world. The channel is broadcast online worldwide as well as with the main RTÉ channels here. So if any person outside of Ireland wanted to watch the channel at that moment right now; most of that content is repeated from earlier in the day and that is not good to compel viewers to stay with the channel. Live & up to the minute news is what draws real numbers of viewers onto a news channel because it's done in real time. RTÉ in my mind do not have these resources available to them because it is too much of a commitment to try & think of ways to give any real value from it's news content.

For it's own live bulletins on RTÉ One; it's viewership is very impressive to see that they are the number one news source in this country. But when you try & extend that idea to the wider world which includes a wider audience that sees other news channels in it's way. It is too much of a hassle for RTÉ to widen that effort to get an audience outside of Ireland for news content.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,311 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Good god - an hosted News Now channel? Sends shivers down my spine. I'd rather stick to seeing the inside of radio station.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The only danger for this idea though for News Now is that there is currently a severe lack of Irish daily news content that would make it look more attractive to global viewers around the world.

Most news channels role out the same news on an hourly basis. So lack of nothing to talkabout doesn't stop non stop talking about nothing. RTÉ News Now could use BBC NI and UTV reports along with some reports from other EBU.

TBH I don't think News Now should just focus on Current Affairs. As I said most weeks RTÉ2 have 4 hour long sports news programmes. (Against the Head, Soccer Republic, The Sunday Game and so on).

IMO News Now on a shoestring as potential, perhaps advertising might help.

TBH far better than an extra part-time +1 channel that they are proposing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

A poster on Digital Spy Richardcoulter has reported that RTE have suggested setting up a channel for Irish Sign Language programmes within 3 years

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2303000/rte-are-thinking-of-providing-a-seperate-channel-for-in-vision-signed-programming#latest
    ....... RTE have said that (within three years) they think it better to provide the service by putting out signed programming on a separate channel. The deaf community don't want this as they don't see the point, but RTE say that the signer prevents hearing people from seeing what's going on.

For anyone who can watch it here's the programme ( the item is apparently about halfway through )

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bml1r3

SPDUB wrote: »
    A poster on Digital Spy Richardcoulter has reported that RTE have suggested setting up a channel for Irish Sign Language programmes within 3 years

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2303000/rte-are-thinking-of-providing-a-seperate-channel-for-in-vision-signed-programming#latest

For anyone who can watch it here's the programme ( the item is apparently about halfway through )

Really RTÉ could put it behind a red button rather then an extra channel, however no matter how annoying a mixed channel with signing would probably get as many viewers as RTÉ PLUS/THREE. It would be great to see that report.

• Advertisement

Another way for RTE to spend Joe Publics money and justify some more overpaid workers to run a station doing the same thing as RTE.
    Even the UK doesn't have a dedicated signed station - just repeats late at night. What makes them think tiny old Ireland can justify the cost. Or maybe they are eyeing up that 30 million. In other news (and other threads) Naughten is looking at a licence system that will mean people pay less for their licence, if you read between the lines what that really means is 1% pay a few euro less and 99% pay more for the same crap.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Another way for RTE to spend Joe Publics money and justify some more overpaid workers to run a station doing the same thing as RTE.
    Even the UK doesn't have a dedicated signed station - just repeats late at night. What makes them think tiny old Ireland can justify the cost. Or maybe they are eyeing up that 30 million. In other news (and other threads) Naughten is looking at a licence system that will mean people pay less for their licence, if you read between the lines what that really means is 1% pay a few euro less and 99% pay more for the same crap.

RTÉ are a public service broadcaster and it is not as if they have ever severed the deaf community all that well in the past. The channel won't be filled with deaf programming it will basically repeat programmes from ONE and 2 with signing, I see little in terms of cost other than the hiring of a few signers. I'd much rather the spend their money on signing than on Presenter's Pay. It will possible only air from 7pm each night.

Elmo wrote: »
    RTÉ are a public service broadcaster and it is not as if they have ever severed the deaf community all that well in the past. The channel won't be filled with deaf programming it will basically repeat programmes from ONE and 2 with signing, I see little in terms of cost other than the hiring of a few signers. I'd much rather the spend their money on signing than on Presenter's Pay. It will possible only air from 7pm each night.

They already have RTE+1 (which is almost totally pointless, actually is there a point, I've never watched it) - whats the need for a separate channel showing the same stuff again (if only for hard of hearing?)
    RTEjr gets almost as much viewership as RTE+1

https://www.tamireland.ie/downloads/august-reach-and-share-figures/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

put the signed programs on the +1 channel?

They should put RTÈ Gold on FM, get a presenter line up and advertisers on it and I reckon it would do well over the whole country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

zorro2566 wrote: »
    They should put RTÈ Gold on FM, get a presenter line up and advertisers on it and I reckon it would do well over the whole country!

And slowly morph into something completely different to maximise advertising revenues.

BTW RTÉ aren't looking for extra service, they are looking to replace certain services with other services. I doubt we'll be getting RTÉ2 +1 and a signed channel. It's likely RTÉ SIGNED will replace RTÉ1 +1 and RTÉ1 +1 will replace RTÉ NEWS NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ireland trains

Does anyone else think rte 3 would be good and they can have trte moved from 2.
    Then it could be like
    Rte1 : news and CA, documentaries, factual and talk shows
    Rte2 : irish reality shows (eg this crowded house), sport, some nature shows and 1 min news updates.
    Rte 3: TRTE, comedy, drama, soaps and a mix of other stuff.
    Could rte make another episode of winning streak (or 2) but its a faster pace with less talk about the players and a chance you wont win anything.
    Really should bring back newsfeed on RTE 2 and have it hourly from 6-10pm

SPDUB wrote: »

Well that’s a total misinterpretation of what was signed, the interviewee signed that RTÉ would like to have it [the national anthem] signed from a studio on a separate channel [in other words on RTÉ News Now as it plays on RTÉ 2].

They are not setting up a new signing channel nor have they suggested that.

https://twitter.com/darrenbyrneisl/status/1047487812122169344?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

I would like to see RTE News Now, drop the RTE branding, and become "News Now" for the mostly international audience and reflect all news output from all television broadcasters both from Ireland and Northern Ireland :

The schedule would perhaps include the following :
    Virgin Media TV : Ireland AM
    RTE News at One
    Virgin Media News at 5:30
    RTE Six One
    Virgin Media News at 8pm
    Prime Time
    Tonight with Ivan and Matt

and also BBC Newsline and UTV Live shows also

I am sure that there are so many shows in the RTE library that would be suitable also, such as the old Radharc programmes, etc (Just and idea)
    And BBC World overnight or some other network.

Just an idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭political analyst

If RTÉ News Now ceases to be a TV channel (the app of the same name might continue in that scenario), could Euronews be allowed to broadcast on Saorview free-of-charge on the grounds that RTÉ is a member of the EBU, which founded Euronews?

For the budget 2019 coverage, have rte cancelled the 1 oclock news for today.

On another note does anyone know what the revamped rte newsroom will look like.
    Also how much bigger will the studio be and i know that it isnt much.
    Cheers

For the budget 2019 coverage, have rte cancelled the 1 oclock news for today.

On another note does anyone know what the revamped rte newsroom will look like.
    Also how much bigger will the studio be and i know that it isnt much.
    Cheers

The coverage started at 12:40. Maybe there was a news summary at that time. The News at One on Radio 1 started at 12:50 and had its bulletin at that time.

PacMan wrote: »
    I would like to see RTE News Now, drop the RTE branding, and become "News Now" for the mostly international audience and reflect all news output from all television broadcasters both from Ireland and Northern Ireland :

The schedule would perhaps include the following :
    Virgin Media TV : Ireland AM
    RTE News at One
    Virgin Media News at 5:30
    RTE Six One
    Virgin Media News at 8pm
    Prime Time
    Tonight with Ivan and Matt

and also BBC Newsline and UTV Live shows also

I am sure that there are so many shows in the RTE library that would be suitable also, such as the old Radharc programmes, etc (Just and idea)
    And BBC World overnight or some other network.

Just an idea :)

TV3 co-operating with RTÉ? Not a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

TV3 co-operating with RTÉ? Not a chance!

Yes, you are correct.
    But it would be a pretty good station for those living overseas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

If RTÉ News Now ceases to be a TV channel (the app of the same name might continue in that scenario), could Euronews be allowed to broadcast on Saorview free-of-charge on the grounds that RTÉ is a member of the EBU, which founded Euronews?

Interesting idea - had heard rumours on another forum that Al Jazeera had applied to the platform.

Does anyone who watches six one remember the shot at the left of the studio which showed the studio and virtual space that they used after breaks.
    They used in for budget coverage but there was new lights on the ceiling. Is this part of the revamp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Interesting idea - had heard rumours on another forum that Al Jazeera had applied to the platform.

Which forum was that rumor posted on? It sounds like a good idea. I thought commercial linear TV was a non-runner on Saorview.

Which forum was that rumor posted on? It sounds like a good idea.

Cannot see that happening - a news channel would not be able to support itself in Ireland with the fees they charge. Viewership is not there to sell ads. Even Sky News gave up with dedicated presenters/reporters

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

When you have external funding sources, commercial viability is not an issue. Hence Radio Maria is on there!

L1011 wrote: »
    When you have external funding sources, commercial viability is not an issue. Hence Radio Maria is on there!

I have huge questions over that, I could understand for the World Congress of Family as a temporary addition, but for it to continue?

1. While unnessary but it has been applied before, did the Minister give it a Public Service remit?
    2. Where is the channel licence, is the BAI even aware that it is on Saorview?
    3. Where does it broadcast from and if it is outside the country why is it on Saorview?

and the Minister resigns, don't expect anything to happen too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That was a rumour posted on DS by a fantasist who is long banned from this site for posting speculative nonsense so take with a huge pinch of salt.

Advertisement