Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland football final 2nd September 2018 - MOD NOTE POST #1 #1187 UPDATED

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Another poster wants the team facing Tyrone to win. Let's count them up shall we in all these threads from supposed neutrals in all these threads?

Behave "despicably" in what way more than others? Just because Harte can compose himself on the sidelines unlike most other managers ranting and raving doesn't mean he's holier than thou, it just means he's composed and concentrated. That's why he will always be #1 and you will always try and say he's out for the count and he will prove you wrong time and time again.

Count them up, who cares. Tyrone just aren't a team most neutrals want to see win.
    Despicable because they do much more of the diving, feigning injury, goading, sledging, time wasting, cynicism than other counties. It's more obvious even watching on TV not to mind whats going on off the ball. Even Morgan in goals makes time for goading players more than other goalies. And then St Mickey after the match like butter wouldn't melt. Except he has an issue with rte that he can't let go for years and won't let anyone else talk to them. It's unbelievably petty and childish. So yeah, **** them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

The RTE saga has been running since 2012. It puts RTE in a tricky position for this final - basically no access to the Tyrone camp. If Tyrone win, it’s even more farcical. Mickey is entitled to do what he wants but for the National broadcaster , it’s kind of embarrassing.

Should the GAA have stepped in on this ugly mess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What can the GAA do?

MH is not a paid employee of the GAA. He is not under any contact that has media obligations written into it. They can't force him to speak to RTE if he doesn't want to.

Rumour has it the Tyrone Co board and the sponsors have tried to get him to change his mind, but he's not for turning. He's a man of very strong opinions, so I wouldn't bet on them getting anywhere with him.

In theory, the GAA could get mediators involved behind the scenes and try to broker a peace deal between the two parties. However, they have made such a haims of their own self inflicted PR disasters and have trotted out that Milton eegit (laughably called a Director of Communications for some one so belligerent) so many times, they'd probably make things worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Jim Gavin easily replaced and over rated. Please tel me this is some sort of wind up.

In terms of management style and ability Jim gavin is the GOAT, take away the panel and look at our second string out we still brush away sides.

To be playing for a 4 in a row and maintain the edge and motivation they have is exceptional. I play club level with 2 county lads, they cannot sing his praises highly enough it’s a few years since I’ve been around him, but as a manager I’m not silly enough to think along your lines.

Well, he is kinda right.
    There is no real way to judge Gavin against other managers unless you level the playing field that they are on.
    And we confront that elephant in the room on that again.

Maybe if he took on another normally resourced team we would get an idea how good he is.
    Meanwhile, all we know is that he can manage a squad of professionals (in almost every way) and with a far deeper pool of them than anyone else.

When it comes to the winner takes all AI finals, one thing is absolutely clear he is only ahead by a margin of one or two points not withstanding all the advantages above.

I know you guys and gals hate to hear that, but such is life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't know why Harte gets criticism about his RTE boycott, he has no obligation to them in the first place, but more importantly they crossed a line and his reaction is far more measured than most other peoples would be. Had they mocked my dead sister/mother/daughter you can be damn ****ing sure forgiveness would be a long time in coming.

I genuinely hope he sticks to his guns on this and ignores the RTE cretins at every opportunity. Even better if Tyrone actually win, maybe then it would cause RTE to reflect on some of the "people" they employ.

Unlikely though, they'll probably double down with a Brolly hatchet job instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭thesultan

In possibly one of the worst football championships of all time who can stop the Dubs? If one plays nice football and looses , they are thrown why didn't they use the dark arts and win. In reality this Tyrone team isn't a patch on their great teams of the naughties. Colm Cavanagh couldn't get on that team at the time. He is one of their main men now. Lateral handpassing won't beat theme. Why not try something unique like kick passing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Guys actually hating Tyrone because they avoid the dump of a channel that is the RTE.

Bit of light heated banter making fun of the death of his daughter by those always hilarious southerners. It's been years since his daughter was brutally murdered and Mexicans made fun of it! What a disgusting person for sticking to his principles.

Year after year you wanna say Harte is past it, how much it must hurt that he's in an AI final yet again, in a completely different era with completely different players.

Poor Mexicans.
    So now its "The Southereners". Get a grip FFS.. Harte's stance started with the Brain Carthy love in, RTE ****ed up and have since apologised. As a god fearing man who has an opinion on all things southern surely forgiveness is right up there. Anyway lets hope its a good final and may the best team win,

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

Jim Gavin easily replaced and over rated. Please tel me this is some sort of wind up.

In terms of management style and ability Jim gavin is the GOAT, take away the panel and look at our second string out we still brush away sides.

To be playing for a 4 in a row and maintain the edge and motivation they have is exceptional. I play club level with 2 county lads, they cannot sing his praises highly enough it’s a few years since I’ve been around him, but as a manager I’m not silly enough to think along your lines.

Well, he is kinda right.
    There is no real way to judge Gavin against other managers unless you level the playing field that they are on.

Maybe if he took on another normally resourced team we would get an idea how good he is.
    Meanwhile, all we know is that he can manage a squad of professionals (in almost every way) and with a far deeper pool of them than anyone else.

When it comes to the winner takes all AI finals, one thing is absolutely clear he is only ahead by a margin of one or two points not withstanding all the advantages above.

Thank god everyone on here knows your value and knowledge of Gaelic football is limited or people would listen to your ramblings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Well, he is kinda right.

Look it dontmatter if ewan all the other posters in here think its due to external influences, he's done it with 15 lads on a pitch at any given time game after game. BTW how is Belo???????????

• Advertisement

I don't know why Harte gets criticism about his RTE boycott, he has no obligation to them in the first place, but more importantly they crossed a line and his reaction is far more measured than most other peoples would be. Had they mocked my dead sister/mother/daughter you can be damn ****ing sure forgiveness would be a long time in coming.

I genuinely hope he sticks to his guns on this and ignores the RTE cretins at every opportunity. Even better if Tyrone actually win, maybe then it would cause RTE to reflect on some of the "people" they employ.

Unlikely though, they'll probably double down with a Brolly hatchet job instead.

A reasonable person might ask 'Did a show as innocuous and inoffensive as The John Murray Show was, set out to 'mock' a dead person or was the tasteless sketch perceived as being 'mocking'.

It was hands down the latter for me. An unfortunate ill judged mistake, that was immediately apologised for and has been consistently since.

8 years later Harte is still involving a whole team of players in his stubborn boycott.

Thank god everyone on here knows your value and knowledge of Gaelic football is limited or people would listen to your ramblings.

As I said, you guys and gals would not like hearing that.

Put Gavin on a level playing field then assess his worth and skills in comparison to others.
    Is he on a par with Malachy O'Rourke and what he has achieved with scant resources in comparison?

You have no way of knowing that in the real world Wander. You can speculate until the cows come home though as we say in de country.

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Look it dontmatter if ewan all the other posters in here think its due to external influences, he's done it with 15 lads on a pitch at any given time game after game.

All we can say is that he has been a good/great manager of the Dublin team.
    Is he a great manager generally or with the same raw materials as everyone else in the country...no idea. Them's the facts.
    BTW how is Belo???????????

No idea what you are on about here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Well, he is kinda right.

Yes there is a way to judge him. On results. And by God has he ticked all those boxes.

The proof is in the pudding.

And wtf would a Monaghan fan know about football. Underachievers. If you had a decent management structure and positive mindset yis wouldn't be snatching defeat from the jaws of victory like this year.

Stop whinging about the players and management from other counties have and concentrate on your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

A reasonable person might ask 'Did a show as innocuous and inoffensive as The John Murray Show was, set out to 'mock' a dead person or was the tasteless sketch perceived as being 'mocking'.

It was hands down the latter for me. An unfortunate ill judged mistake, that was immediately apologised for and has been consistently since.

8 years later Harte is still involving a whole team of players in his stubborn boycott.

The John Murray Show was far from inoffensive. Awful broadcaster. Up there with Tubs.

STB. wrote: »
    Yes there is a way to judge him. On results. And by God has he ticked all those boxes.

The proof is in the pudding.

And wtf would a Monaghan fan know about football. Underachievers. If you had a decent management structure and positive mindset yis wouldn't be snatching defeat from the jaws of victory like this year.

Stop whinging about the players and management from other counties have and concentrate on your own.

You can judge him on results with the team and resources he has. And he has done great with them.

Is he a great manager though? The criteria for that is a little bit different.

You can throw all the brickbats you want about my team, but I would never be claiming what you guys routinely do. Malachy has his faults and we are far from a perfect outfit.
    Your need for praise and to be routinely told you are the GOAT is very revealing of a probable guilt complex about it all, I think.

• Advertisement

The John Murray Show was far from inoffensive. Awful broadcaster. Up there with Tubs.

Well show us where he set out to mock somebody in the way it is alleged he did to the Harte family.

Was it just a vendetta against the Harte's? :rolleyes:

It was hands down the latter for me.

Well then feel free to cease your own boycott of the RTE.

For myself I will respect the fact that Harte clearly feels differently.

Well then feel free to cease your own boycott of the RTE.

For myself I will respect the fact that Harte clearly feels differently.

And by extension, the whole Tyrone team have to feel the same. Sorry, that is where it turns into a stubborn and pigheaded waste for me.

Not much of a legacy for the girl purportedly at the centre of it imo, and I accept there are those who feel it is some sort of heroic statement on her behalf.

I can agree to disagree about that. A bitter negative is no legacy for anyone.

Not much of a legacy for the girl purportedly at the centre of it imo, and I accept there are those who feel it is some sort of heroic statement on her behalf.

I can agree to disagree about that. A bitter negative is no legacy for anyone.

Classy. Very classy.

Classy. Very classy.

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭omega man

Not sure the Omagh match should be factored too much in so far as it really wasn’t a knock out game, particularly for Dublin as they had Roscommon in Croke Park the next day out.

That along with the Croke Park factor and then considering experience / nerves for Tyrone players on AIF day. All that before you even analyse squads / ability points to Dublin for me.

However I’m certain JG and the team won’t be complacent and will be expecting nothing but a huge battle and rightly so despite what pundits and fans predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What can the GAA do?

MH is not a paid employee of the GAA. He is not under any contact that has media obligations written into it. They can't force him to speak to RTE if he doesn't want to.

Rumour has it the Tyrone Co board and the sponsors have tried to get him to change his mind, but he's not for turning. He's a man of very strong opinions, so I wouldn't bet on them getting anywhere with him.

In theory, the GAA could get mediators involved behind the scenes and try to broker a peace deal between the two parties. However, they have made such a haims of their own self inflicted PR disasters and have trotted out that Milton eegit (laughably called a Director of Communications for some one so belligerent) so many times, they'd probably make things worse.
    Comical Ali you mean-must be something about big powerful organisations that they think they can send out people like this and think its ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

I dont think you can label Gavin GOAT based on the current Dublin team-yes his work with them has been outstanding but i dont think his achievements match Harte or ODwyer. Its not just the number of AIs you win that define your greatness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭flasher0030

harpsman wrote: »
    I dont think you can label Gavin GOAT based on the current Dublin team-yes his work with them has been outstanding but i dont think his achievements match Harte or ODwyer. Its not just the number of AIs you win that define your greatness

Ok. So he has won all around him. Odds on favourite for 4 in a row. Has a second team that easily has the ability to beat any other county, AND has his team playing the most attractive, exciting brand of football than any other county involved.

How would you define greatness? And please, Francie Brady, don't kick off again that Dublin haven't won All-Irelands by a high enough margin. It was bad enough for you to suggest that it's even relevant, let alone continue the issue for dozens of posts afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Ok. So he has won all around him. Odds on favourite for 4 in a row. Has a second team that easily has the ability to beat any other county, AND has his team playing the most attractive, exciting brand of football than any other county involved.

How would you define greatness? And please, Francie Brady, don't kick off again that Dublin haven't won All-Irelands by a high enough margin. It was bad enough for you to suggest that it's even relevant, let alone continue the issue for dozens of posts afterwards.
    Throw in 5 league titles in 6 years and breaking the record for league and championship games unbeaten

Of course he's in the conversation for GOAT even if Francie Brady off the internet thinks he isn't

Well show us where he set out to mock somebody in the way it is alleged he did to the Harte family.

Was it just a vendetta against the Harte's? :rolleyes:

I was commenting on JM.

But since you asked...

What happened was in poor taste. A joke that went wrong. Foot in mouth scenario. I doubt it was malicious.

And I can never imagine what he had to go through at that time. Never mind that, eh, hadn't the brother also died recently before that?

However, malicious or not it clearly hurt Mickey Harte a lot. I don't know how hurt, but who are we to put limits on that?

So yeah, you and the rest should probably get over yourselves about it. I can't see how it affects you in anyway.

Also, JG being a good manager and not a great manager due to resources? Give over.

And read Darragh today on that basis. Only one Kerry reference of note and it was relevant
    no Páidí references either. Seems he's freed up when the Keepers are knocked out of the Championship.

harpsman wrote: »

So what would he have to do to get into that conversation?

Harte should be rightly lauded for what he did with Tyrone. And for me was always my favourite coach up to recent times.

O'Dwyer was surely as resource rich as Gavin is now, back then? That Kerry team had money to burn.
    And had to play less games against bugger all opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So what would he have to do to get into that conversation?

Harte should be rightly lauded for what he did with Tyrone. And for me was always my favourite coach up to recent times.

O'Dwyer was surely as resource rich as Gavin is now, back then? That Kerry team had money to burn.
    And had to play less games against bigger all opposition.

It is funny when you put that question to the Dublin/Gavin doubters. They never want to put up a yardstick by which Dublin or Gavin could be judged. We heard it last year when Dublin won the three-in-a-row and they all said Dublin weren't the GOAT. When asked if they would be the GOAT if they won four or five, there was no answer.

So don't expect an answer, except something impossible like go and win an All-Ireland with Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

For Gavin to be considered the GOAT is more dependent on other counties.
    The last few years have only had Mayo offering a challenge to Dublin.
    Any Mayo, no matter how well they perform, are still Mayo.
    They'll invariably find a way to shoot themselves in the foot.

The Dublin team has gotten too good essentially.
    No one heaps praise on the manager if you're beating everyone by 10 plus points.
    How many other managers would win the All Ireland this year with Dublin's squad?

vetinari wrote: »
    For Gavin to be considered the GOAT is more dependent on other counties.
    The last few years have only had Mayo offering a challenge to Dublin.
    Any Mayo, no matter how well they perform, are still Mayo.
    They'll invariably find a way to shoot themselves in the foot.

The Dublin team has gotten too good essentially.
    No one heaps praise on the manager if you're beating everyone by 10 plus points.
    How many other managers would win the All Ireland this year with Dublin's squad?

And what made them "too good"? Is it superlative coaching from possibly the greatest manager of all time?

The worst thing that happened for the rest of the country was the 2014 SF.

There's a chance that if we would have won that, we likely win the Ireland, but not fixed the aching issues that we had. Assuming JG was truly blind to them or it was more the fact that he was up against another great coach that was able to exploit those issues.

Then again, if Dermo scores...

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is funny when you put that question to the Dublin/Gavin doubters. They never want to put up a yardstick by which Dublin or Gavin could be judged. We heard it last year when Dublin won the three-in-a-row and they all said Dublin weren't the GOAT. When asked if they would be the GOAT if they won four or five, there was no answer.

So don't expect an answer, except something impossible like go and win an All-Ireland with Leitrim.

I guess we'll just have to wait for the answer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Guys, my son wants to go to a match....much to my delight:(

Anyways, were can I get tickets for September. Will they be available online?

Last time I was in Croker I was 8... which wasn't yesterday!
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Guys, my son wants to go to a match....much to my delight:(

Anyways, were can I get tickets for September. Will they be available online?

Last time I was in Croker I was 8... which wasn't yesterday!
    Thanks

They won't be on general sale but you'll get a ticket handy closer to the day. The bandwagon effect has subsided a bit with each year so once the genuine fans are sorted there'll be tickets available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

dobman88 wrote: »
    They won't be on general sale but you'll get a ticket handy closer to the day. The bandwagon effect has subsided a bit with each year so once the genuine fans are sorted there'll be tickets available

Will they be online or through clubs?

There's a big queue. They'll never go online.

There's a big queue. They'll never go online.

And if you're asking the question there's no way you're getting a ticket from a club.

Has a second team that easily has the ability to beat any other county

I don't even want to get into the debate, but surely you can see how that doesn't actually help your argument?

Through clubs. If you're a member you can put your name in and it's usually done like a lottery for members. (That's what happens in my own club) but if that fails it's down to knowing somebody.

If you're in Dublin on the day you'd have no problem getting a ticket. I've plans on heading to the final and I don't think I'll have a problem getting a ticket the week of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I am never entirely comfortable with talk of the Greatest of All Time in any sport, whether it is team or individual, as I think it is probably impossible for any team or individual to dominate a sport for years without competition being compromised in some way. For example, if Dublin or Kerry had not been around in the late 1970s it is likely that the other would have won a bucketload. There's also the changing styles - for example the game is all about retention of possession these days and players adopt a linear flatter configuration. Back in the day you fought for ball more man on man and were expected to do so. To the modern palate that might be difficult to swallow but the idea that Jack O'Shea or Larry Tomkins (two extraordinary players) could not fist-pass a ball to a guy three yards away and run to take a return pass (as modern players do) if they were brought up in that environment is laughable. Jack O'Shea would be an absolute animal in the modern game.

At the same time there has to be context on all sides. I had a conversation with a guy recently who said Dublin will never be as good as Kerry (1978-81) and spoke about how good Offaly and Cork were during Kerry's golden years. He forgot to mention that Cork scored just 0-3 in the 1981 Munster Final and that when they finally slipped through the net they were well beaten by a relatively new Dublin team in 1983 which itself was shown to be limited in the following years.

I think it has undoubtedly helped Dublin that Meath have declined so much in the last decade in the same way that I think it's not coincidental that Kilkenny hurlers won all around them during the 2000s when Leinster opposition was gone to pot and Cork were at odds with themselves. Great teams without a doubt but hugely long winning streaks might have complex reasons.

All that said, it should also be acknowledged that Dublin's success has happened at a time when opposition teams are better prepared than ever and can watch videos of Dublin 24/7 to prepare to play them. I watched Dublin v Galway last weekend and while Dublin have given more spectacular performances I was absolutely mesmerised by the sheer amount of scoring options they have.

Also. you never hear Dublin talk about hunger, or being motivated by what some lad said about them, or claiming that they were written off, or using bull**** lies and stories for motivation. Jack McCaffrey spoke of "having fun" FFS! Ciarán Kilkenny without any sense of cringiness recently spoke of "the honour of representing the county". Even a rough diamond like Philly McMahon goes and talks about his brother and drugs. Imagine the impact this guy must make in Ballymun as a role model...…….where role models actually matter? Then, on the pitch, is the absolute refusal of the team to take stupid shots, instead working the ball to a player who is very likely to score. No Cillian O'Connor type rushes of blood. While acknowledging the genius of Mickey Whelan as a coach, ultimately in any group these signals come from the manager.

To my mind Jim Gavin is astonishing. To have brought an albeit talented team to that level and maintained it for so long so consistently and with so much respect for both League and Championship is remarkable. At no stage have I got the impression they are above any match or opposition - they always appear respectful. This is with minimal BS coming out of the camp, and maintaining dignity throughout all this success, while losing players along the way such as Rory O'Carroll, Diarmuid Connolly, Paul Mannion (who missed the championship in 2015 was it?), Jack McCaffrey (missed championship in 2016 I think?). Then you keep a constant game-changer like Kevin McManamon happy as a super-sub for years! How good must the vibes in the camp actually be?

Imagine if another county had lost a player like Ciarán Kilkenny for the 2014 season through injury how their shock semi-final defeat would be attributed to this. Maybe Dublin's achievements will be acknowledged only with the passing of sufficient time when the begrudgers are combing grey hair. In Cluxton, Kilkenny, Mannion, Fenton, McCaffrey, Brogan, Connolly, McCarthy, Flynn and maybe more they have as the Americans would say absolute Hall of Famers. When great Gaelic Footballers are talked about in time to come these guys will be leaders in their positions on any notional 'best 15' in the same way that Pat Spillane, John O'Keeffe, Jack O'Shea, Eoin Liston, Paidí Ó Sé, John Egan of Kerry's old team are standout footballers.

This is a team with an insane number of what will be seen as enduringly great Gaelic Footballers. It will be a travesty if they somehow do not win the final and gain the immortality that will go with four in a row. But they are so good it is impossible for me to see that happening.

On Jim Gavin again - Dublin have come through too many apparently close finishes (against Mayo time and again) and continued to take the right options (2016 semi-final V Kerry when they were five points down at half-time and green and gold cute hoorism was rearing its head to put manners on "de Dubs") too often for this to be accidental. To say otherwise is to imply that management does not matter - and if you think this is so take a look at Dublin's display in the last 10 minutes of the 2011 final versus the 2009 quarter-final against the same opposition. This was the product of a smart smart guy Pat Gilroy's management who looked at the first game and said "no more". Never again would a Dublin team lie down and endure that bull**** at the hands of Kerry. Jim Gavin has continued that and while he doesn't have sufficient hayseeds on his back to garner the unqualified adulation of many non-Dubliners we should remember the famous Monaghan man's line that "Gods make their own importance". No praise is too high for Gavin or his team in my view for their ability and how they carry themselves.

• Advertisement

Through clubs. If you're a member you can put your name in and it's usually done like a lottery for members. (That's what happens in my own club) but if that fails it's down to knowing somebody.

If you're in Dublin on the day you'd have no problem getting a ticket. I've plans on heading to the final and I don't think I'll have a problem getting a ticket the week of the game.

Please don't anyone listen to this advice. This is seriously misguided and really bad advice. Tickets will not be available on the day.

Why do people put stuff like this up. I have being going to All-Ireland finals for decades and this has not been the case for at least a decade.

Please don't anyone listen to this advice. This is seriously misguided and really bad advice. Tickets will not be available on the day.

Why do people put stuff like this up. I have being going to All-Ireland finals for decades and this has not been the case for at least a decade.

We, my brother and I, got tickets on the day for the 2015 final. He got one on the day for the 2014 final. There have been others before that where one of us went without a ticket and got sorted on the day.

It's not misguided or bad at all. It happens regularly. People unable to attend games get people going to the game to sell their ticket. Head into any pub where there's a group of fans, have a sign saying 1 ticket needed so people can approach you if you get that lucky, people have lives and situations change so because you have a ticket for a game today doesn't mean you'll be able to attend tomorrow.

Yes there's an element of luck involved but we've done it plenty times over the years.

We, my brother and I, got tickets on the day for the 2015 final. He got one on the day for the 2014 final. There have been others before that where one of us went without a ticket and got sorted on the day.

It's not misguided or bad at all. It happens regularly. People unable to attend games get people going to the game to sell their ticket. Head into any pub where there's a group of fans, have a sign saying 1 ticket needed so people can approach you if you get that lucky, people have lives and situations change so because you have a ticket for a game today doesn't mean you'll be able to attend tomorrow.

Yes there's an element of luck involved but we've done it plenty times over the years.

That is a lot different to what you said:

If you're in Dublin on the day you'd have no problem getting a ticket.

Of course an individual can get lucky, but putting up on a website simple advice that there is no problem getting a ticket on the day is completely misleading and disingenuous.

The poster concerned asked about bringing his 8-year old son to Croke Park for the very first time, and you suggested he would have no problem getting a ticket on the day. Well, even if he gets as lucky as you and your brother claim to have been (and I have my doubts), the best he might get is one ticket for the Hill and the other for the top of the Davitt Stand. Now, which do you think he should give his 8-year old heading into Croke Park for the very first time?

As advice on tickets goes, it was as bad as any I have seen.

Also that's meant to be used as a last resort if you're in Dublin on the day anyway. Definitely try to get sorted before that, reduces the stress lol

That is a lot different to what you said:

Of course an individual can get lucky, but putting up on a website simple advice that there is no problem getting a ticket on the day is completely misleading and disingenuous.

The poster concerned asked about bringing his 8-year old son to Croke Park for the very first time, and you suggested he would have no problem getting a ticket on the day. Well, even if he gets as lucky as you and your brother claim to have been (and I have my doubts), the best he might get is one ticket for the Hill and the other for the top of the Davitt Stand. Now, which do you think he should give his 8-year old heading into Croke Park for the very first time?

As advice on tickets goes, it was as bad as any I have seen.

Yeah I'm gonna lie for no reason to a pile of strangers on the internet :rolleyes:

It's used as a last resort and I genuinely believe there will be no problem with tickets for this final as the bandwagon effect wears off the dubs and like I said once the genuine fans get theirs, there will be loads left.

Yeah I'm gonna lie for no reason to a pile of strangers on the internet :rolleyes:

It's used as a last resort and I genuinely believe there will be no problem with tickets for this final as the bandwagon effect wears off the dubs and like I said once the genuine fans get theirs, there will be loads left.

You never said it was a last resort. You told the man with an 8-year old son who had never been to Croke Park that "If you're in Dublin on the day you'd have no problem getting a ticket".

All part of a dig against the Dubs rather than a genuine attempt to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Ah, leave him alone. It's comedy gold in fairness. The build up to the final would be very dull without the obligatory nutjob brigade.

Over the next 2 1/2 weeks, I look forward to fascinating discussions on The Moon landings - real or faked? Elvis - dead or alive? And the ever popular Spam - what's the bloody point?

They'll offer up more coherent logic & reasoned debate than his contributions ever will. :rolleyes:

You replied to a post with me stating the amount of neutrals supporting Dublin is astounding and that I feel people are desperate to say MH is past it at any opportunity and now I am a conspiracy theorist nutjob?

Another over-sensitive Dub.

You never said it was a last resort. You told the man with an 8-year old son who had never been to Croke Park that "If you're in Dublin on the day you'd have no problem getting a ticket".

All part of a dig against the Dubs rather than a genuine attempt to help.

Said it was a last resort in the post after instead of editing the original. Relax yourself a bit and don't take online life so seriously.

Wasn't a dig at the dubs at all, I don't think I've ever had a dig at them. I quite enjoy watching them tbh, except when they beat Kerry.

Said it was a last resort in the post after instead of editing the original. Relax yourself a bit and don't take online life so seriously.

Wasn't a dig at the dubs at all, I don't think I've ever had a dig at them. I quite enjoy watching them tbh, except when they beat Kerry.

But that's the best part!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

thesultan wrote: »
    In reality this Tyrone team isn't a patch on their great teams of the naughties. Colm Cavanagh couldn't get on that team at the time. He is one of their main men now.

He couldn't get on their great teams cause he only made his debut in 2007!! Hardly going to have a medal for 2003 and 2005 now!! Did get a medal in 08 though when a lot of the old guard were waning.

mfceiling wrote: »
    He couldn't get on their great teams cause he only made his debut in 2007!! Hardly going to have a medal for 2003 and 2005 now!! Did get a medal in 08 though when a lot of the old guard were waning.

In fairness to Colm. He's been brutal up until about 2016ish. He was our bete noire for a long time.\ So much so we would only refer to him as Colm lest we sully the Cavanagh name.

• Advertisement
Advertisement