Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

If you are, say, 52 weeks signing on the dole without a break, and then you have a child, there should be no children's allowance etc. The cycle of rearing a family on social welfare handouts alone needs to be stopped.

This has caused anger and is yet another manifestation of the housing crisis. But let us not forget either the actions of groups of nimbyist snobs (also known as 'residents associations') who with the support of local politicians looking for votes, campaign to delay and block new housing developments in Dublin. Worried that their 'lovely views', the 'tone of the area' might be affected etc. Utter hypocrites. These pr*cks are far more responsible for the current problems IMO than Ms Cash.

Yeah and I bet Miriam O Callaghan is one of the above ! Get the photo op Miriam but don’t house them in her locality , the sheer thought of it . And I can probably include Fergus Finlay from Barnados in that too .

i think Cash might have the right idea because if being a working taxpayer means going through life with this much hatred and resentment pent up inside you, it can't be worth it.

What hatred and resentment?

Oh, objecting to people scamming the system? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

This has caused anger and is yet another manifestation of the housing crisis. But let us not forget either the actions of groups of nimbyist snobs (also known as 'residents associations') who with the support of local politicians looking for votes, campaign to delay and block new housing developments in Dublin. Worried that their 'lovely views', the 'tone of the area' might be affected etc. Utter hypocrites. These pr*cks are far more responsible for the current problems IMO than Ms Cash.

Coppinger made a career out of planning objections when she was a councillor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

if that were true then being unemployed would exclude a person from being working class. you know that not to be true. and if it ever was, it was a long long time ago.

An unemployed worker may be working class.
    Somebody who decides to live on social welfare their whole life, like their family and friends, is not working class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I think two things we can all agree on surely is that benefit rates are too generous and that no one who has never worked should receive that kind of money?

Pretty much. Needs to be a cap introduced for max benefits received, with the ability to slightly increase it for years you've paid a form of Income tax (either self assessed for self employed or PAYE) to incentivize working vs welfare living.
    CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Somebody who decides to live on social welfare their whole life, like their family and friends, is not working class.

Well its kinda in the name when you think about it, you work = working class: you dont = not working class.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

mfceiling wrote: »
    It is hard work.

It's even harder when you have to go out to work every day to make sure there is a roof over their heads, clothes on their back and food on the table.

Not really a concern of Ms Cash who kept having children despite not having any way of funding this choice. But it's ok cause the state is there to pick up her tab.

it's hard work regardless of employment status.

that's a more nuanced take.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is the silly season. Any story of note gets miles of publicity (all one sided in this case let it be said though).

When the Dailers get back after their breaks and Caminos, THAT is when we need to put them under a bit of pressure.

But realistically, if the received wisdom/media reports are not causing them any grief, we don't have a hope really because they are only going to be worried by negative publicity. But the voices I have heard here just do not seem to have any outlet anywhere in this country.

TBH I am rather concerned at the total lack of balance in reporting this. I am surely not alone. Even comments of an opposite view are taken down. What is happening to the working/contributing person's voice anymore now? It is worrying to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Now with all the rules and regs regarding renting and RTB and so on, has anyone EVER heard of a trial run of a week and month to month thereafter?

Someone is watching to see how this pans out.

But I suppose within the first six months no reason need be given for eviction. I think...

And then we are on the roundabout again. Could be Pearse Street, Store Street, Fitzgibbon Street or a myriad of others that could have some overnight visitors soon!

To the barricades!

This was clearly explained in a news item.

"Margaret Cash said the apartment is being made available for a week's trial and after the trial it will be on a monthly basis.

Dublin Region Homeless Executive said the one week trial is the policy of the letting agent for the property in which the apartment is located.

The apartment is temporary emergency accommodation, which is why it is to be provided on a month-by-month basis following the week trial."

"She said her children will be "over the moon" that an apartment has been secured for them."

see

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0816/985507-margaret-cash/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

i think Cash might have the right idea because if being a working taxpayer means going through life with this much hatred and resentment pent up inside you, it can't be worth it.
    Absolutely. Nobody should work, we should all kick back, have huge families, and let somebody else supply all our material needs, plus push the boundaries of science and medicine to advance humanity. That will totally work.

Some of the posts here are beyond satire in terms of idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭tintin67

Just read on Rté News it’s not a local authority apartment :D it’s rented by a letting agent.

Very few 3 bedroom apartments in the city centre apart from in the high-end developments. Some Facebook and Google executives are about to get some very interesting new neighbours.

Graces7 wrote: »
    This was clearly explained in a news item.

"Margaret Cash said the apartment is being made available for a week's trial and after the trial it will be on a monthly basis.

Dublin Region Homeless Executive said the one week trial is the policy of the letting agent for the property in which the apartment is located.

The apartment is temporary emergency accommodation, which is why it is to be provided on a month-by-month basis following the week trial."

"She said her children will be "over the moon" that an apartment has been secured for them."

see

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0816/985507-margaret-cash/
    To be honest, reviewing their accommodation on a monthly basis might be a good way of minimising anti-social behaviour. I personally wouldn't fancy living next door to the 7 children of two convicted criminals.

I wonder how many of the Cashs' defenders here would?

*crickets*

Anthracite wrote: »
    Absolutely. Nobody should work, we should all kick back, have huge families, and let somebody else supply all our material needs, plus push the boundaries of science and medicine to advance humanity. That will totally work.

Some of the posts here are beyond satire in terms of idiocy.

they are if you're challenged enough to take them seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

They are a waste of space and a house.

People working hard all there lives on jospiral trolleys and struggling on pensions. Young couples spending mad money on child care amd mortgages. Sh*t services for disabled children.

Our entitlement culture is a cancer. A disease. It needs to be cured.

they are if you're challenged enough to take them seriously.
    I don't think there's much risk your posts will be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

tintin67 wrote: »
    Very few 3 bedroom apartments in the city centre apart from in the high-end developments. Some Facebook and Google executives are about to get some very interesting new neighbours.

I hope said executives get them shifted on swiftly due to anti-social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭standardg60

Dannyriver wrote: »
    A person who parties/drinks all the time has anything but a 'careless live' . Life expectancy in social welfare communities is much lower than in middle class/upper class communities. What do you think is happening everyone running around partying and laughing at the middle classes without a care in the world?

Can you give me one valid reason as to why being on social welfare directly affects your life expectancy? As opposed to being simply down to lifestyle choice.
    We grew up on out of date food cos that's all my parents could afford, yet I've never received a dole payment in my life, nor any other benefit.
    You seem to think that being in a social welfare community as you put it is something that's forced upon the people who are there. It's not, and anyone who chooses to be there and then complains about it will never have any of my sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Now with all the rules and regs regarding renting and RTB and so on, has anyone EVER heard of a trial run of a week and month to month thereafter?

Someone is watching to see how this pans out.

But I suppose within the first six months no reason need be given for eviction. I think...

And then we are on the roundabout again. Could be Pearse Street, Store Street, Fitzgibbon Street or a myriad of others that could have some overnight visitors soon!

To the barricades!

She's overhold as she did in the past

A person who parties/drinks all the time has anything but a 'careless live' . Life expectancy in social welfare communities is much lower than in middle class/upper class communities. What do you think is happening everyone running around partying and laughing at the middle classes without a care in the world?
    At a certain point, your choices, and those of your parents, determine your outcome.

Ireland is full of people whose grandparents were dirt poor, but they were honest, worked hard, and valued education. The grandchildren of those dirt poor people are now educated, hard-working, honest people, who create real value for society and whose taxes pay for almost every public service and good you see around you.

Other families did not value hard work, or education, or honesty. Those people's grandchildren are now the underclass, and they fully intend to pass on those 'values' to their own children. And our current system totally facilitates them in doing so.

To your point about the health outcomes of the underclass - if you make it a lifetime's habit to make poor choices, to be lazy and to be uneducated, why would it be the slightest bit surprising that you make bad, lazy, uneducated lifestyle choices that result in poor health outcomes?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

when I was growing my mum never got a payment of the government for being a stay at home mother.
    She got nothing extra for looking after us.
    I have no shame in saying I wore hand me downs among my brothers, shopping was carried home as taxis were expensive., things were hard in the 70s, and think it put things in prospective for me and my siblings.
    The idea of earning what we have is lost on people.
    A lot of people today has little or no shame, no pride etc.

These days mothers get money for looking after their own kids,
    I know one girl who has a husband who works who actually gets carers allowance for looking after here own child.
    The childs illness is asthma, and not even close to what my brother had growing up for which my mother never got help with as the notion for being paid extra for looking after your kids which is your responsibility as a parent.

A girl who is sensible and decides her prospects are bleak so takes precautions not to get pregnant and is on a housing list waits over a decade and could be nearly forty by the time she is awarded council housing, while a girl can churn out 7 kids, pull a publicity stunt and then demand where the free house she wants is allocated, and some people wonder why this Cash girl is vilified.
    I dont blame her kids, but the mother has a responsibility to make sure they have a good start in life and in that she has utterly failed so now blames the very system she has manipulated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Resverathrole

The same lady was offered a house on two occasions, but refused because the houses offered weren't in her locality. Of course the media would leave that out in an effort to associate the matter the so called housing crisis we're having.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

The condescending nature of this post says a lot

I thought being condescending was what this whole thread was about no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

The same lady was offered a house on two occasions, but refused because the houses offered weren't in her locality. Of course the media would leave that out in an effort to associate the matter the so called housing crisis we're having.

Do you think the media deliberately omitted that?

or is it the media ran with the trending story before checking the facts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Next poster girl up has 9 children and is just back from 2 week holiday. Was given 2 houses. Left 1 because it had a fire escape and the 2nd had no washing machine.

Claims her social welfare

"My money contributes to people being able to pay taxes I pay there mortgages and supply them with jobs so they can pay there's ie doll office council etc and also I have worked and paid tax to"

I wish this was a joke

Anthracite wrote: »
    At a certain point, your choices, and those of your parents, determine your outcome.

Ireland is full of people whose grandparents were dirt poor, but they were honest, worked hard, and valued education. The grandchildren of those dirt poor people are now educated, hard-working, honest people, who create real value for society and whose taxes pay for almost every public service and good you see around you.

Other families did not value hard work, or education, or honesty. Those people's grandchildren are now the underclass, and they fully intend to pass on those 'values' to their own children. And our current system totally facilitates them in doing so.

To your point about the health outcomes of the underclass - if you make it a lifetime's habit to make poor choices, to be lazy and to be uneducated, why would it be the slightest bit surprising that you make bad, lazy, uneducated lifestyle choices that result in poor health outcomes?

this is such basic sociology 101 nonsense. i've known a lot of layabouts whose parents were hard workers, and i'd imagine the reverse might be true, although back in the day it wasn't as easy to be a layabout.

I thought being condescending was what this whole thread was about no?
    To be honest, when you are living off my taxes, I reserve the right to condescend to you as much as I like. Our public representatives get the same deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Resverathrole

Do you think the media deliberately omitted that?

or is it the media ran with the trending story before checking the facts?

Both are believable

any more posters want to tell us their potted family history? it's not tedious at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

tintin67 wrote: »

Hope so. These are the types of people who would defend Ms Cash. At the peak of the migrant crisis those in the city centre, D4 and other privileged parts of the country offered their rooms to refugees and when they came they were dumped in towns which have housing shortages of their own. Article posted during the week about Kilkenny Co Co buying houses and tenants forced to vacate. Same thing happened here in Thurles.

They’ll get to know to what the majority of us have to put up with on a daily basis. My windows are barricaded because the thief’s in the council estate up the road. In the 1990s there was elderly people in all those houses and respectable families

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement