Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family of seven sleep in Garda station Mod note post one

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Suppose they will claim that he was only just invited to the communion

"Being a good daddy though we're not together".

I need a bucket now!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Sure the daughter would love him to be there for the family occassion even if 'mammy and daddy' were no longer together

• Registered Users Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

SirChenjin wrote: »
    +1 to every word of this post. It has become an industry, and the word 'homeless' has become almost meaningless in the process.
    First we had Erica Fleming and her 'forever home' requirements, and now this.
    It does a disservice to all in our society who actually need help, and who are working hard but often barely able to make ends meet.

And it is abhorrent, to me and indeed to many others that a young woman (and she is far from alone in doing this) rakes in an extremely generous amount of money per week/ month/ year without ever having contributed in any way, shape or form to the pot from which that money seemingly endlessly flows.

I don't know what the solution is. I don't believe anyone in the Dail will be brave enough to take on this issue and highlight it for what it is. An absolute disgrace.

The solution is simple, and has been there for the last 20+ years.
    I'm the last person to praise the clintons for anything but their introduction of a welfare state with 5 years lifetime limit on welfare payments was a brilliant idea. We should do that here.
    I'm currently a floating voter, disillusioned with FF after their ridiculous stance on the 8th. I'd vote for anyone who tackles this issue and introduces lifetime limits on social welfare. Even make it 15 years to begin with. If you can't find a job in 15 years then you are either dangerous to yourself or others, or someone who should be in a home as you clearly can't take care of yourself.

NOTE: These term limits would not apply to illness benefit or pensions of course.

"Being a good daddy though we're not together".

I need a bucket now!!! :D
    nuthin but snakes hun
    its just u and dem angles now xoxoxo

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes but a) it will show them the impact of reducing "income" via taxation and show that everyone contributes, and notionally increase the tax take figures.

Ever wonder why police/teachers etc are paid from the public purse and pay tax?

I need more coffee :D

But police, Garda, etc go out to work for that money.

Maybe I’m not grasping the concept but if you give someone €100 then tell them that from tomorrow on they will be taxed on the money given to them but after the tax they will still have €100. Are you not just increasing the gross via social welfare just for the sake of taking the difference back via revenue? What’s the purpose? If the recipient still gets €100 the passing of the tax from one dept to another would mean diddly squat in their head.

I’m confused.

• Advertisement

SirChenjin wrote: »
    +1 to every word of this post. It has become an industry, and the word 'homeless' has become almost meaningless in the process.
    First we had Erica Fleming and her 'forever home' requirements, and now this.
    It does a disservice to all in our society who actually need help, and who are working hard but often barely able to make ends meet.

And it is abhorrent, to me and indeed to many others that a young woman (and she is far from alone in doing this) rakes in an extremely generous amount of money per week/ month/ year without ever having contributed in any way, shape or form to the pot from which that money seemingly endlessly flows.

I don't know what the solution is. I don't believe anyone in the Dail will be brave enough to take on this issue and highlight it for what it is. An absolute disgrace.

+1

I cry every time I see the Sally Army ads for the homeless and the lonely and think that these vultures like Flynn and his ilk are p**sing all over genuinely poor folk.

Posters are spot on - it's an industry and anyone from it sayinn they want to end homelessness is like someone from Philip Morris wanting people to quit smoking.

nuthin but snakes hun

#gerlpower
    #needmygirlies

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

I'm the last person to praise the clintons for anything but their introduction of a welfare state with 5 years lifetime limit on welfare payments was a brilliant idea. We should do that here.
    I'm currently a floating voter, disillusioned with FF after their ridiculous stance on the 8th. I'd vote for anyone who tackles this issue and introduces lifetime limits on social welfare. Even make it 15 years to begin with. If you can't find a job in 15 years then you are either dangerous to yourself or others, or someone who should be in a home as you clearly can't take care of yourself.

NOTE: These term limits would not apply to illness benefit or pensions of course.

in a home? as in some kind of restricted home? i'm sure that won't cost the taxpayers anything

in a home? as in some kind of restricted home? i'm sure that won't cost the taxpayers anything
    No comment to the actual detail, no?

No comment to the actual detail, no?

that is detail. but i'd also say that 'excluding illness benefit' is more complex than you seem to think as well.
    if you were jobless for long enough it would be a matter of convincing your GP that you have some form of anxiety. it's vague enough and it's not the kind of thing where your GP can say 'you're lying, you don't have anxiety!'

i don't think it's all that practical if you start examining it.

• Advertisement

I need more coffee :D

But police, Garda, etc go out to work for that money.

Maybe I’m not grasping the concept but if you give someone €100 then tell them that from tomorrow on they will be taxed on the money given to them but after the tax they will still have €100. Are you not just increasing the gross via social welfare just for the sake of taking the difference back via revenue? What’s the purpose? If the recipient still gets €100 the passing of the tax from one dept to another would mean diddly squat in their head.

I’m confused.
    Forget the fact they work for the money for a second.
    Imagine they are voluntary gardai, and they get a larger SW payment for their volunteering.
    They still don't get the full amount. In effect, where X is their salary and the effective tax rate is 30% they get (x-(x*0.3)) as a salary.

In effect, if you told them their net salary was now the gross and it was tax exempt - it would not make a difference t their takehome.

It's the same for SW payments. Lets say the dole is €198. Well now lets make it 120% of 198, and taxable. So if in the future tax or USC are increased then it affects everyone.

FYI - jobseekers benefit (the one based on PRSI) is taxable already. Jobseekers allowance (the one not based on PRSI but on means test) is not taxable.

Forget the fact they work for the money for a second.
    Imagine they are voluntary gardai, and they get a larger SW payment for their volunteering.
    They still don't get the full amount. In effect, where X is their salary and the effective tax rate is 30% they get (x-(x*0.3)) as a salary.

In effect, if you told them their net salary was now the gross and it was tax exempt - it would not make a difference t their takehome.

It's the same for SW payments. Lets say the dole is €198. Well now lets make it 120% of 198, and taxable. So if in the future tax or USC are increased then it affects everyone.

FYI - jobseekers benefit (the one based on PRSI) is taxable already. Jobseekers allowance (the one not based on PRSI but on means test) is not taxable.

The miniscule workplace pension my dad gets is taxable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Feisar wrote: »
    So folks, what's the plan to effect change?

I've two ideas, one extreme, one mold:

Everyone stay in bed on Monday morning, grind the country to a halt. To hell with protesting of a rainy Saturday or Sunday. Best way is stay at home.

Second option is to completely stop buying any non essentials so as to cut down on VAT income.

Option three which will do nothing is speak/write to your TD.

Now if social welfare is removed there will be a social backlash, crime will go through the roof. Basically we pay the benefits to keep these bottom of the barrel humans where they are and not in our homes. (I know there is crime here but nothing like countries with no welfare system)

I said it before . Hurt the media where it hurts.
    Eg newtalk in the morning, every worker switch over from it for a week and see how their advertisers start panicking.
    Then pick another station or newpaper. Once their income stream is affected then they won’t be long losing their left wing nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

nuthin but snakes hun

Fit to snap I sware .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Another thing about the homeless industry.

These various charities bought numerous properties during the bust. (Around the same time that the Vulture Funds did). These were purchased with resources provided to them by the state.

These apartments and houses are now rented to homeless people, for which the charities receive state aid for providing this accommodation to homeless people. These tenants are also entitled for HAP - the charities then get the HAP for these properties.

So essentially the state are providing 3 different payments to these charities for a single property.

BPKS wrote: »
    Another thing about the homeless industry.

These various charities bought numerous properties during the bust. (Around the same time that the Vulture Funds did). These were purchased with resources provided to them by the state.

These apartments and houses are now rented to homeless people, for which the charities receive state aid for providing this accommodation to homeless people. These tenants are also entitled for HAP - the charities then get the HAP for these properties.

So essentially the state are providing 3 different payments to these charities for a single property.

I didn't know that ?!! FFS! What a great scam that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Just to clarify my post re solution - We can of course surmise and discuss what should be done BUT I don't believe that anyone in government will take on the reforms required of the social welfare system, and indeed other areas including the 'homeless industry'.

Fit to snap I sware .

lol @ uneducated people

lol @ uneducated people

Lol @ people who don't get the joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

You should not be allowed access to social welfare unless you have worked for a certain period of time and have contributed to the pot .
    Children’s allowance should be capped at 3 children .
    Social media accounts need to investigated regularly especially the idiotic ones who have public settings .
    Financial rewards should be given to those who report fraudulent use of welfare money and criminal activity .
    Reduce welfare payments and include free school uniforms and books instead .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Yeah on the Coors, Waterford crystal, ten grand cars etc etc.

She bought the Waterford off a friend's nana so didn't pay VAT.

You should not be allowed access to social welfare unless you have worked for a certain period of time and have contributed to the pot .
    Children’s allowance should be capped at 3 children .
    Social media accounts need to investigated regularly especially the idiotic ones who have public settings .
    Financial rewards should be given to those who report fraudulent use of welfare money and criminal activity .
    Reduce welfare payments and include free school uniforms and books instead .

UK welfare investigators do this - recently several weddings were on FB that led to the prosecution of "lone parents".

And several insurance claims cancelled and the fraudulent claimers similarly prosecuted after "very disabled" people posted on FB about marathons and bungee jumping!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

The thing is people will say we must provide for and educate the children so they don't fall into the same situation Margaret Cash has. They'd want to be stupid to get a good job when you can get 52k for popping out a few kids and sitting on your arse.

zeebre12 wrote: »
    The thing is people will say we must provide for and educate the children so they don't fall into the same situation Margaret Cash has. They'd want to be stupid to get a good job when you can get 52k for popping out a few kids and sitting on your arse.

Plus I would bet my left eyeball that she is not the first generation to get that king of wedge for acting like that.

Softly softly has not worked - it's time for a crackdown.

that is detail. but i'd also say that 'excluding illness benefit' is more complex than you seem to think as well.
    if you were jobless for long enough it would be a matter of convincing your GP that you have some form of anxiety. it's vague enough and it's not the kind of thing where your GP can say 'you're lying, you don't have anxiety!'

i don't think it's all that practical if you start examining it.

I suffer from asbergers and severe social anxiety amongst other issues, which I have mentioned openly on these boards in the past.

These are not reasons not to work.

I suffer from asbergers and severe social anxiety amongst other issues, which I have mentioned openly on these boards in the past.

I have GAD and it flares up now and then. Definitely not a reason not to work. Neither is my dodgy hip - boatload of painkillers and job done.

Be well ELM.

i'm glad to hear it doesn't affect your ability to work. people can get - and have gotten - illness benefit for anxiety though. that's my point here. let's not turn it into another martyrdom contest.

Ugh there are some purely twisted people in this world.

i'm glad to hear it doesn't affect your ability to work. people can get - and have gotten - illness benefit for anxiety though. that's my point here. let's not turn it into another martyrdom contest.
    No one turns it into a martyrdom contest (whatever that may be)
    You stated that anxiety is a reason to qualify for illness benefit. And it shouldnt be.

I know people get it now, but they shouldnt!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Alot of posters on here claim they are the "poor me" and "fools" for working to earn their 50k a year with mortgage etc.. With the level of state supports available I have to agree. They are fools. They made their choice of working to feed their lifestyle whilst this woman found an alternative path. Right?moral? productive? She won't be loosing sleep.

If somebody steals money from your pocket, does it make you a fool?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement