Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest way to add extra protein to shakes?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭crxsi09

Cheers everyone ye all have been a great help.an awful lot to take in when starting out especially the food and diet end of it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

crxsi09 wrote: »
    Cheers everyone ye all have been a great help.an awful lot to take in when starting out especially the food and diet end of it!

All the best in bulking up! I'm sure you'll do great.
    Let us know how you get on!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I wouldn't worry too much about exact figures. As Alf said it's farther down the list of things that matter, especially starting out. Just eat well and train and sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

crxsi09 wrote: »
    I need to take 170g of protein a day.
    I was thinking so far if i took
    1 shake in morning 24g protein
    1 protein bar 20g protein
    Dinner: portion of chicken 40g protein
    Second shake in evening 24g protein
    2nd proetein bar 20g protein.
    Think ive 42g left to take
    Is there anything i can add to dinner to
    Make up the remaining 42g?
    Or any other way of doing it?
    Thanks for all the help!

Have you tried eating breakfast and lunch?

The diet above, as written, is pretty shite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Oh I think that's still too much.
    I'm no expert and have no experience with body building.

But I would think that you will bulk up with exercise and adequate protein.

Adequate. Too much protein puts pressure on your kidneys and will kick your body out of gear.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to keep up the training and eat a healthy diet. Have a can of tuna a few times a week, and you'll be grand.

Why are you answering if you have no experience with body building?

Go to a body building forum OP and post there

Wasting your time here

500g of chicken, bit of rice, pint of milk is 170g OP

How is that hard to achieve?

Thats an evening meal for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

FriendsEV wrote: »
    Why are you answering if you have no experience with body building?

Go to a body building forum OP and post there

Wasting your time here

500g of chicken, bit of rice, pint of milk is 170g OP

How is that hard to achieve?

Thats an evening meal for me

He doesn't need 170 grams of protein a day, 112 at his weight is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

We've gone from... a few cans of tuna per week, it'll be grand... to 500g of chicken in one meal...

:pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

OP

If you’re working with a PT, I would recommend you follow their program to its end. Save Boards posters’ advice re protein consumption for later.

Once you’ve finished your current programme, assess your results and decide whether to alter your protein intake (etc).

When it comes to body composition etc, CONSISTENCY is as important as WHAT you do.

Regarding the type of protein: try to avoid bars etc and stick to proper food.

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    When it comes to body composition etc, CONSISTENCY is as important as WHAT you do.
    That's not remotely true at all.
    There's no point doing anything consistently poorly.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3J1PmPpk8_Ub460YqtLRBaLwRGiv7XRVLZFPhNMpv5I6z3pd4grrhooIw

Mellor wrote: »
    That's not remotely true at all.
    There's no point doing anything consistently poorly.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3J1PmPpk8_Ub460YqtLRBaLwRGiv7XRVLZFPhNMpv5I6z3pd4grrhooIw

Yes, but assuming you’re going in the right direction, consistency is what matters.

Sorry, I thought that my point was clear from the context of the thread/ post. Thanks for the heads up :)

• Advertisement

Yes, but assuming you’re going in the right direction, consistency is what matters.

I know what you meant, that's still incorrect. Consistency isn't what matters.
    Say somebody was to consistently hit 60% of their protein target, going in the right fmdirection, but falling short. They'd be better off in their intake varied between 50-100% constantly, even thiughts that's inconsistent.

If the OPs protien intake is le, he should fix it now. Waiting until the end of the program in the name of consistency is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

It can become awful confusing when people give you so many variations of advice , but everyone has their own opinion on what 'ideal' is and of course it varies from person to person , in time you will know what works for you in calories for bulking , cutting and maintenance through just doing it yourself and monitoring it.

In general , the overall opinion is that you need between 0.8 - 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight , I'd leave the 1.5 to serious trainers and those who are advanced in lifting , you should aim between 0.8 - 1 so 136 - 170 grams per day if you are in that range you will be fine.

It's not hard to hit 170 on a lean bulk or bulk , chicken fillets at lunch and steak at dinner or similar and your more a less well on the way , be consistant in your training and results will follow.

Mellor wrote: »

I know what you meant, that's still incorrect. Consistency isn't what matters.
    Say somebody was to consistently hit 60% of their protein target, going in the right fmdirection, but falling short. They'd be better off in their intake varied between 50-100% constantly, even thiughts that's inconsistent.

If the OPs protien intake is le, he should fix it now. Waiting until the end of the program in the name of consistency is silly.

(“Le” = “low”, right?)

I think we’re misunderstanding one another somewhere.

Without question, if something is wrong you should stop doing it. Absolutely.

I may have missed it (and perhaps this is where the misunderstanding has arisen), but the OP hasn’t posted their weight, TDEE, body fat % etc so we can’t say their protein is too low (and 170g protein sounds like it’s in the ballpark for a regular, untrained person).

In fact, I’m basing my argument on the assumption that the macros they were given by their PT are correct.

Given this, my suggestion is that the OP - a newbie who doesn’t have the base knowledge to readjust their carbs and fats so that their calorie deficit remains effective or that their calorie surplus remains controlled - doesn’t go altering pieces of their plan based on snippets they pick up online.

Resources like this - where contributors like yourself have a huge breadth of knowledge to share - are gold. No question. Advanced training methods (and to a newbie macro calculations are advanced) are likely to be information overload to a beginner.

With all of this in mind, I was proposing that the OP should complete their program (again, I assume it’s been written by someone qualified to do so) assess the results and determine what the next period of training should look like.

Apologies if I’ve missed a post and created a confused situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I may have missed it (and perhaps this is where the misunderstanding has arisen), but the OP hasn’t posted their weight, TDEE, body fat % etc so we can’t say their protein is too low (and 170g protein sounds like it’s in the ballpark for a regular, untrained person).

In fact, I’m basing my argument on the assumption that the macros they were given by their PT are correct.

Op is 80kg, 170grams of protein will provide no additional benefit over ~115grams, except it will probably cost more money and make bigger stinkier poos.

Advertisement