Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest way to add extra protein to shakes?

Options
  • 07-08-2018 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wondering is there anything i can add to my protein shake that already contains 24g of protein to give it more? Is there a scoop of another oowder i can add to it?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,255 ✭✭✭✭endacl

An egg. And a steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

crxsi09 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just wondering is there anything i can add to my protein shake that already contains 24g of protein to give it more? Is there a scoop of another oowder i can add to it?
    Cheers

Is there a scoop of another powder, other than your protein powder, for adding protein to your protein shake? Seriously?

Also, why do you need more than 24g of protein?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

750ml protein milk and 2 scoops whey

Bout 70g protein

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Egg whites
    100ml is about 45cals and 10g of protein

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Another scoop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭crxsi09

I need to take 170g of protein a day.
    I was thinking so far if i took
    1 shake in morning 24g protein
    1 protein bar 20g protein
    Dinner: portion of chicken 40g protein
    Second shake in evening 24g protein
    2nd proetein bar 20g protein.
    Think ive 42g left to take
    Is there anything i can add to dinner to
    Make up the remaining 42g?
    Or any other way of doing it?
    Thanks for all the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

I need to take 170g of protein a day.
    I was thinking so far if i took
    1 shake in morning 24g protein
    1 protein bar 20g protein
    Dinner: portion of chicken 40g protein
    Second shake in evening 24g protein
    2nd proetein bar 20g protein.
    Think ive 42g left to take
    Is there anything i can add to dinner to
    Make up the remaining 42g?
    Or any other way of doing it?
    Thanks for all the help!

what other food do you eat? there is protein in most food stuffs !!

whippet wrote: »
    what other food do you eat? there is protein in most food stuffs !!

Well i've only started gym and starting to up my protein intake so im looking for ideas on how to reach my 170g a day intake. I used to eat everything and anything so ive changed that in last 3 weeks to better diet.
    As i said im looking for ideas. I read somehwere(cant remember where) about someone adding some more protein to the protein shake to bump it from 24g to whatever

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What formula gave you that amount of protein? You'd need to be a 210lb bodybuilder bulking and looking to get absolutely the most gains to need that much.

What formula gave you that amount of protein? You'd need to be a 210lb bodybuilder bulking and looking to get absolutely the most gains to need that much.

Optimum nutriion gold standard has 24g of protein in it.im tryimg to bulk up myself but im only literally starting off.havnt started taking any yet.im goin gym 3 times a week and triner said i need 170g a day protein for my weight that i am etc

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

1 gram of protein for 1 pound of weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Ditch the protein bars as they are processed ****e, in my opinion. A pint of milk has about 18/19grms of protein so have that instead

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Optimum nutriion gold standard has 24g of protein in it.im tryimg to bulk up myself but im only literally starting off.havnt started taking any yet.im goin gym 3 times a week and triner said i need 170g a day protein for my weight that i am etc

Trainer is incorrect, you need whey less :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Read this re amount of protein needed https://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
    I wouldn't take a trainers word as gospel anyway. Stressing out a bit much to get that much into you.

I don't eat meat so I eat some other stuff. Seitan is 75% protein so I eat that if I want a good bit (100g seitan is 370 calories and has 75g protein), just as long as you have varied sources it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

As someone already mentioned, there is protein in almost everything. It sounds like you're only counting the obvious protein.
    You should use MyFitnessPal or similar app -if you input everything you eat, the protein in other foods might add up to bridge the gap, you might be eating more than you think

Read this re amount of protein needed https://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
    I wouldn't take a trainers word as gospel anyway. Stressing out a bit much to get that much into you.

I don't eat meat so I eat some other stuff. Seitan is 75% protein so I eat that if I want a good bit (100g seitan is 370 calories and has 75g protein), just as long as you have varied sources it's fine.

Thats an interesting read.thanks for that.what would anyone recommend as my daily intake of protein then if i currently 80kg?
    Cheers

Thats an interesting read.thanks for that.what would anyone recommend as my daily intake of protein then if i currently 80kg?
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Peanut butter and actual peanuts or almonds

Cheers

Cheers

0.82g/lb is the upper limit. You realistically don't need to hit the upper limit.

Get most of it from food as opposed to shakes and bars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

0.82g/kg is the upper limit. You realistically don't need to hit the upper limit.

Get most of it from food as opposed to shakes and bars

You mean 0.82/lb?

You mean 0.82/lb?

I did.

I usually think in g/kg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

igCorcaigh wrote: »

I just filled out that website about my rda intake for protein and it came up as 58g of protein.i suppose if i even doubled that intake for bulking up i would be doing good?
    I thought 58g as rda would be too low anyway if i was bulking up. Wouldnt be too hard to manage getting 100g a day instead of the original 170g i thought i would need

I just filled out that website about my rda intake for protein and it came up as 58g of protein.i suppose if i even doubled that intake for bulking up i would be doing good?
    I thought 58g as rda would be too low anyway if i was bulking up. Wouldnt be too hard to manage getting 100g a day instead of the original 170g i thought i would need

Bulking up isn't just about protein. Total calories...level of training...are you sure you have those in order?

Oh I think that's still too much.
    I'm no expert and have no experience with body building.

But I would think that you will bulk up with exercise and adequate protein.

Adequate. Too much protein puts pressure on your kidneys and will kick your body out of gear.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to keep up the training and eat a healthy diet. Have a can of tuna a few times a week, and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

igCorcaigh wrote: »

0.8 g/kg is the RDA for a sedentary person. From that link:
    The RDA is the amount of a nutrient you need to meet your basic nutritional requirements. In a sense, it’s the minimum amount you need to keep from getting sick — not the specific amount you are supposed to eat every day.

0.8 g/kg is the RDA for a sedentenry person. From that link:

Thanks for the correction! It does vary per individual, doesn't it.

The advice to OP still sounds very high.
    I'm no expert though.

Cheers everyone ye all have been a great help.an awful lot to take in when starting out especially the food and diet end of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Cheers

80 x 1.6 = 128.

Do that consistently and you'll be fine

Advertisement