Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic solar PV quotes 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

So,if you dont have the space,as a normal house build in a normal estate will allow maxim 7-8 panels in portrait mode.
    Thats 7 x 300W. So, you go for the bext PV panels that gives you maxim output.Even if is e100 cash.

Heard cases where they went with 250W years ago.Next year,300 will become defacto with 350/400w on the way

Thats called progress and learning & sharing...the next wave end user will laugh at us with our today's panels... i guess they will have flexible panels and / or whole roof made out of PV cells...

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

How is output looking today?

Was it dull and wet , as it was here in Donegal? Just wondering what the numbers are like on a day like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

AidenL wrote: »

Was it dull and wet , as it was here in Donegal? Just wondering what the numbers are like on a day like this?

cloudy most of the day, 12kwh so far, dropping off now, with just over 200w being generated, so prob looking at between 12 and 13kwh for me today.

cloudy most of the day, 12kwh so far, dropping off now, with just over 200w being generated, so prob looking at between 12 and 13kwh for me today.

That’s decent for a bad day of weather.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes, completely dull and cloudy for the whole day in North Dublin. Did not stop raining all day and its still raining now.

3.3kwh generated on my 3kw system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,132 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I think I did it based on your advice :-)

Be a mad idea to put a 3rd switchable string on to the system if they were that cheap (to get later evening sun).

If it was legal and I didn't need planning permission, I'd consider plastering my north facing (street facing) roof with panels if they went down a bit further in price. At a typical angle roof, north facing produces about 50% of south. West and East are far closer to south obviously.

kceire wrote: »
    Yes, completely dull and cloudy for the whole day in North Dublin. Did not stop raining all day and its still raining now.

3.3kwh generated on my 3kw system.

I’d say same conditions here.

I’m very interested in what gets generated on a dull Irish day. Seems we have more dull ones than bright ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Agent_47

3kwh is circa 50 cents worth of electricity. Wonder what a small wind turbine would generate given we have more hours of wind than sun?

Agent_47 wrote: »
    3kwh is circa 50 cents worth of electricity. Wonder what a small wind turbine would generate given we have more hours of wind than sun?

Unless you live on top of a hill in a very windy area of the country, and you use a huge amount of electricity and you don't mind investing many thousands, don't even think about going wind :p

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Agent_47 wrote: »

Wind turbines also require annual maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

generated 3.9kw up to now on my 3.6kw system. strangely enough its been raining all day in Sligo now but generation output stays between 1kw at all times!

Stefs_42 wrote: »
    generated 3.9kw up to now on my 3.6kw system. strangely enough its been raining all day in Sligo now but generation output stays between 1kw at all times!

Same here in north Dublin.
    Cloudy and spitting rain.

3.99kwh generates already and a constant generation of at least 5-600w with peaks of over 1kw.

3.99kwh generates already and a constant generation of at least 5-600w with peaks of over 1kw.

I am up to 13kwh again so far today, been very hit an miss, ranging from 300w up to 3kw in production. Raining at the moment and getting 700w

Pretty miserable day here in west Dublin. 4.2kWh generated today from 3.8kwp system

I am up to 13kwh again so far today, been very hit an miss, ranging from 300w up to 3kw in production. Raining at the moment and getting 700w
    unkel wrote: »
    Pretty miserable day here in west Dublin. 4.2kWh generated today from 3.8kwp system

Thats good. So seems on the wettest day in the Summer, good chance of 6 to 8 kWh over the day then?

Thats good. So seems on the wettest day in the Summer, good chance of 6 to 8 kWh over the day then?

Looks like I am at 17kwh for the day, and yep, its been a fairly wet day for the latter half anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

my todays total is spot on 6kw and all them clouds are still giving me some energy at 8pm, enough to light a light bulb 60 W haha :D

my todays total is spot on 6kw and all them clouds are still giving me some energy at 8pm, enough to light a light bulb 60 W haha :D

Im in Ballyshannon, so Sligo would be representative of what I'd get weather wise and sun levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

15kwh produced today in Limerick with 4.2kw east/west array.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

niallers1 wrote: »
    15kwh produced today in Limerick with 4.2kw east/west array.

Looking at the weather on RTE news earlier and it seems to have been decent enough day in the Midwest.

• Advertisement

Yep, I finished with 7.1 kWh.
    Pennies saved, but hot water again for 3 showers and baby bath and general washing and that stopped me turning on the gas boiler and using a fossil fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Install day today ... finally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Congratulations gally74. Pesky roof leak has put off D-Day for me.

Is there any good place to grab an average install cost?
    Rather not have full court sales press before I know the ballpark

Or if anyone would have an idea on a south by southwest facing house in North Cork.

Or if anyone would have an idea on a south facing house in North Cork.

I would plaster that whole front roof with panels if I could!

I would plaster that whole front roof with panels if I could!

Yeah I'm thinking that I have a good enough roof for it, and need to get it completely re-tiled, so it'll be done around then.

Need to get a view of the costs so I can even begin to shop around though.

Or if anyone would have an idea on a south facing house in North Cork.

Select a base system to use as a benchmark. One particular company has mentioned publicly a figure of 10,500 inc vat and before grant for I believe a 4kwp system with 5kwh battery, so after grant cost is 6,800. That's without an eddi, but perhaps a guideline.

The max you can go for is 6kwp (which is what I have with 18 panels), and you can add an eddi hot water diverter to that also, but obviously the costs are higher with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Hey folks.

Can you please recommend a make/model of a good >300W cheap PV panel and decent place to buy from?

Thanks in advance.

gally74 wrote: »
    Install day today ... finally
    What did you get ?

• Advertisement

Select a base system to use as a benchmark. One particular company has mentioned publicly a figure of 10,500 inc vat and before grant for I believe a 4kwp system with 5kwh battery, so after grant cost is 6,800. That's without an eddi, but perhaps a guideline.

The max you can go for is 6kwp (which is what I have with 18 panels), and you can add an eddi hot water diverter to that also, but obviously the costs are higher with that.

Being total chancer, does that grant replace the HRI grant or can they stack?

Advertisement