Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the north outside EU changes everything for the island

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

timthumbni wrote: »
    We will be fine Tom. Maybe the west Belfast sicknotes are bring8ng us down. Everyone here seems to be driving a bmw and lives in big houses. If that’s poor then I’m a monkeys uncle...

^^ ^^ As good an example of fingers in the ears as you will get. Well done Tim.

Yes francie, the world will stop turning when we in the uk leave the Eu....... or maybe not. Anyway you lot down south had better hope it goes smoothly or else the ghost estates will be popping up again down your way...

• Registered Users Posts: 67,059 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yes francie, the world will stop turning when we in the uk leave the Eu....... or maybe not. Anyway you lot down south had better hope it goes smoothly or else the ghost estates will be popping up again down your way...

Nobody has suggested it will 'stop turning'. What is suggested is that a region that is already in the top ten poorest regions in western Europe will get even poorer as it fights for resources with the other regions in the union that are also in that top ten.

Hi big balls. Do I have to remind you of ghost estates in the south? And NO, we aren’t one of the poorest regions.... ffs. Grow up....

Oh yes you are.........

http://inequalitybriefing.org/graphics/briefing_43_UK_regions_poorest_North_Europe.pdf

Hi big balls. Do I have to remind you of ghost estates in the south? And NO, we aren’t one of the poorest regions.... ffs. Grow up....

Oh yes you are.........

http://inequalitybriefing.org/graphics/briefing_43_UK_regions_poorest_North_Europe.pdf

Well if we are poorest then I’m still quite happy. I see inner London top. I wouldn’t want to live there if I was paid to do so. What are they basing these things on.? GDP, earnings? If so that means the square of feck all.

In fact I see this is based on an EU source. About as reliable as Gerry Adams sugesting his brother as a baby sitter......

• Advertisement

In fact I see this is based on an EU source. About as reliable as Gerry Adams sugesting his brother as a baby sitter......

:rolleyes:

Brexiteers eh. Failing yet again when comes to any intellectual arguments about this whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

The same study I referenced earlier also stated that although GDP per head was lower in the north that that in the south the standard of living was higher. I believe that nobody knows what impact the UK leaving the EU will have on the UK or the ROI, be that by a hard or soft exit. Economists are wide of the mark more times then not in my opinion, recent history tells me that. However if the figures in the study are correct and the UK continues to subsidies NI as it is currently doing and the standard of living remains above that of the south it is not inconceivable that those in the north would choose to remain part of the UK.

I firmly believe that a referendum on a united Ireland would result in a no vote in the south if it meant such a massive financial burden would result.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

People in richest areas of England have 19 more years of good health than poorest parts of country, report says

Brexiteers eh. Failing yet again when comes to any intellectual arguments about this whole thing.

Oh I’m quite confident. The EU is only a country club, not a jail right? We will be fine. I wasn’t even particularly caring about leaving the Eu. I voted leave btw but since the vote I’m very much more for it for it now.

Plenty of so called intellectuals were communists and supported the soviet regime.. Plenty of these so called smart people are idiots when it comes to real life.

Oh I’m quite confident. The EU is only a country club, not a jail right? We will be fine. I wasn’t even particularly caring about leaving the Eu. I voted leave btw but since the vote I’m very much more for it for it now.

Plenty of so called intellectuals were communists and supported the soviet regime.. Plenty of these so called smart people are idiots when it comes to real life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Hardly surprising? The whole Brexit leave campaign was based on lies and scaremongering. The little Englanders who drove this are just using northern unionists as a pawn in their game. They couldn’t care less about the north as showed by that the person May sent to be in charge didn’t grasp who voted for who up north!! I don’t know which was worse that Bradley actually didn’t know or being stupid enough to admitting to not knowing.

The same study I referenced earlier also stated that although GDP per head was lower in the north that that in the south the standard of living was higher. I believe that nobody knows what impact the UK leaving the EU will have on the UK or the ROI, be that by a hard or soft exit. Economists are wide of the mark more times then not in my opinion, recent history tells me that. However if the figures in the study are correct and the UK continues to subsidies NI as it is currently doing and the standard of living remains above that of the south it is not inconceivable that those in the north would choose to remain part of the UK.

I firmly believe that a referendum on a united Ireland would result in a no vote in the south if it meant such a massive financial burden would result.

The subvention to northern Ireland is already being cut. How DUP Brexiteers have convinced themselves that it will increase again from (if you believe Mogg) an economy that will be in decline after Leaving, is anybody's guess.

Do you think many down south could fathom NI politics? I consider myself to be pretty clued up but yet I couldn’t tell ya which party enda or the current Irish pm are from. I’m serious about this. Even ardent provos wouldn’t have a clue....

Do you think many down south could fathom NI politics? I consider myself to be pretty clued up but yet I couldn’t tell ya which party enda or the current Irish pm are from. I’m serious about this. Even ardent provos wouldn’t have a clue....

Perhaps you should read more. They are on the Belfast Telegraph or the newsletter every second day.

Perhaps you should read more. They are on the Belfast Telegraph or the newsletter every second day.

Only because he is toeing the Eu line like the teachers pet. I still maintain that few in NI from either side could say for sure if he is FG or FF. that is a fact.

Only because he is toeing the Eu line like the teachers pet. I still maintain that few in NI from either side could say for sure if he is FG or FF. that is a fact.

Very difficult not to envisage the intelligence of your circle of acquaintances after reading this.

So are you saying that most of your fellow sfers up north would have a clue about the politics down south? You would be sadly mistaken if so pal.

Hmmm.

Statement: "we will be fine"

Question: "How do you know you will be fine?"

Response: "because we will".

Sums up nicely the pro-Brexit argument up to now. As to your anti-intellectual line, I didn't know many thought Michael Gove was a genius.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

I have always had the opinion that the union jack flag,like the swaztika flag should be banned for what it represented.i cannot fathom how that flag is accepted worldwide.the sooner it is dismantled and put in the same grave as the swaztika the better
    Well, at least you have the satisfaction of knowing that you're right and the rest of the world is wrong.

We share the same island so our leader of the part which takes up 4/5 of the island is kind of important especially given we are indirectly involved in the running of your part! As much as Unionists like to think we are in separate galaxies we are heavily in the 6 counties and always will be.

• Advertisement

Hmmm.

Statement: "we will be fine"

Question: "How do you know you will be fine?"

Response: "because we will".

Sums up nicely the pro-Brexit argument up to now. As to your anti-intellectual line, I didn't know many thought Michael Gove was a genius.....

Are you concerned about the effect brexit could have on the south.? Especially if it goes as bad as you imply.... I’m not a bed wetter personally. The uk is big enough to stand on its own especially since we buy more from Europe than we sell. Calm down dear....

We share the same island so our leader of the part which takes up 4/5 of the island is kind of important especially given we are indirectly involved in the running of your part! As much as Unionists like to think we are in separate galaxies we are heavily in the 6 counties and always will be.

Good. Will you pay half of republican west Belfast’s apparent disability and sickness problem?. Lol.

Good. Will you pay half of republican west Belfast’s apparent disability and sickness problem?. Lol.

Have you got official figures or make it up as you go along ones?! Sure everyone know the north’s economy is a basket case.

Have you got official figures or make it up as you go along ones?! Sure everyone know the north’s economy is a basket case.

Official figures re west Belfast? No..... but I work in that field and let me tell you that there seems to be a lot of sickness in west Belfast..... the only thing they don’t claim is malaria and I’m waiting to hear that too soon.... (global warming)) lol.....

Quite a few deprived areas in one of the top ten most impoverished areas of western Europe.

Timthumni only seems to want to talk about one of those areas though.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2017/11/23/news/belfast-contains-half-of-northern-ireland-s-100-most-deprived-areas-1195392/

Quite a few deprived areas in one of the top ten most impoverished areas of western Europe.

Timthumni only seems to want to talk about one of those areas though.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2017/11/23/news/belfast-contains-half-of-northern-ireland-s-100-most-deprived-areas-1195392/

Impoverished.? Or just good at claiming benefits??. Ardoyne is the west Belfast btw but they are the north equivalents. Ethiopia would have nothing on thes3 poor specimens..... allegedly...

Impoverished.? Or just good at claiming benefits??. Ardoyne is the west Belfast btw but they are the north equivalents. Ethiopia would have nothing on thes3 poor specimens..... allegedly...

I have no doubt they claim benefits.
    Tends to be a feature of areas left to rot in generational unemployment and lack of investment and in the top ten of most impoverished areas in Western Europe.

Have you any stats that suggest this area is any worse (benefit claiming wise) than any of the other top 10 UK areas on the list?

I have no doubt they claim benefits.
    Tends to be a feature of areas left to rot in generational unemployment and lack of investment and in the top ten of most impoverished areas in Western Europe.

Have you any stats that suggest this area is any worse (benefit claiming wise) than any of the other top 10 UK areas on the list?

Even west Belfasties themselves laugh at how ****e their area is. Rampant joyriding, anti social behaviour etc. It’s almost as bad as some areas of Dublin.

I think the survey is full of eu **** tbh. The uk is one of the richest areas of Western Europe... and a great buyer of Irish goods. Mess with that at your peril... carry on .....

Even west Belfasties themselves laugh at how ****e their area is. Rampant joyriding, anti social behaviour etc. It’s almost as bad as some areas of Dublin.

I think the survey is full of eu **** tbh. The uk is one of the richest areas of Western Europe... and a great buyer of Irish goods. Mess with that at your peril... carry on .....

Some people are rich and others aren't. And the divide between them deepens. You unfortunates facing Brexit will quickly realise that it was orchestrated by those who want to get even richer at your expense.
    Jocob Rees knows the value of 'Dublin' as he has moved some of his many funds to there to insulate them from the ****storm that is coming.

That's 'Dublin' Tim, the place you think will be joining you on the downward spiral. Dublin and the south will take a knock during your lunacy but it will be in halpenny place when compared to what happens the north.

Just remember, there will always be a welcome/cead mile failte on the mat when youse are ready! ;)

• Advertisement

Some people are rich and others aren't. And the divide between them deepens. You unfortunates facing Brexit will quickly realise that it was orchestrated by those who want to get even richer at your expense.
    Jocob Rees knows the value of 'Dublin' as he has moved some of his many funds to there to insulate them from the ****storm that is coming.

That's 'Dublin' Tim, the place you think will be joining you on the downward spiral. Dublin and the south will take a knock during your lunacy but it will be in halpenny place when compared to what happens the north.

Just remember, there will always be a welcome/cead mile failte on the mat when youse are ready! ;)

Jaysus. That post is just a load of gibberish even for you francie... lol.

Advertisement