Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you look down on people with tattoos?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

D3V!L wrote: »
    I'm 6ft4' and have a couple of tattoo's so I'm looking down on most of you :D (did I do it right ?)

I have a respectable well paid job with a very large financial company and the director I answer to has more ink than me.
    Contradiction in terms:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

For a few years I dabbled on and off with the idea of getting a tattoo of some sort. But, and no disrespect to anybody with tattoos, its now so common to see so many people with tats everywhere on their bodies that I've kinda been turned off the idea. I don't know why really, I mean some of the artwork is fantastic, but it's like the mystique or 'alternative' culture of tattoos has been lost. I mean, how can they be seen as alternative or edgy when Nigel from Accounts has two full sleeves, a hawk on his back, and skulls tattoed on his calves, and is still as dull as dishwater?

I dunno. If you have tattoos, you'll probably disagree strongly with me, but over the last decade it's almost become boring to see ink literally EVERYWHERE, on EVERYBODY. At the moment I'm back in the camp of NOT wanting a tattoo. Just to be different, y'know? :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    For a few years I dabbled on and off with the idea of getting a tattoo of some sort. But, and no disrespect to anybody with tattoos, its now so common to see so many people with tats everywhere on their bodies that I've kinda been turned off the idea. I don't know why really, I mean some of the artwork is fantastic, but it's like the mystique or 'alternative' culture of tattoos has been lost. I mean, how can they be seen as alternative or edgy when Nigel from Accounts has two full sleeves, a hawk on his back, and skulls tattoed on his calves, and is still as dull as dishwater?

I dunno. If you have tattoos, you'll probably disagree strongly with me, but over the last decade it's almost become boring to see ink literally EVERYWHERE, on EVERYBODY. At the moment I'm back in the camp of NOT wanting a tattoo. Just to be different, y'know? :P

Thank you for that!

Proof it can be possibly to disagree without being a sanctimonious prig!

Embrace your differences!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Wow and EVERYONE is wearing clothes and shoes are EVERYWHERE and look at that guy he has HAIR on his head and that lady is wearing a DRESS why do all these people do the SAME THING??

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Nah, I don't judge folk by what ink they may have, more so what kind of character they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Each to their own and nothing against tattoos, but if people think they are original in getting one they are kidding themselves, every man and his dog has a sleeve these days, people not covered in ink are now the non-conforming ones, people with ink are the sheep!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Wow and EVERYONE is wearing clothes and shoes are EVERYWHERE and look at that guy he has HAIR on his head and that lady is wearing a DRESS why do all these people do the SAME THING??

:)

:D:D:D:D

But clothes and shoes are kiiiiinda necessities, whereas tattoos are not, they're an artistic expression.

Unless you're Mary from the local chipper with Chinese letters down the back of her neck and Arabic writing on her forearms. Not sure what she's expressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Maybe most people with tattoos aren't doing it to be different, or trendy, or non-conformist etc.

Maybe they just like them.

I certainly do. I could give two f**ks about what reasons other people have tattoos. I have them because I like them, I like the style of art, and I think they look good. And very sexy on women.

Saying that there's "arty" tattoos, and then tattoos of a more... shall we say "proletariat" variety. I don't like those. I like the arty ones.

It's like saying, I like clothes - I choose to wear them. But I wear suits, rather than tracksuits.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I don't have any. I love to see a really good tattoo - to me it's an art form. Occasionally you see something that's gorgeous and stunning but a lot of the time unfortunately it's unoriginal and poorly executed on saps trying to look edgy or cool but in reality they are about 30 years too late for that.

Not long after the toddler went on a spree around the house and himself with a permanent marker and we'd had a long chat about the Naughtiness of Drawing on Walls and Ourselves, we were walking down the street behind a big bloke in shorts who had his legs totally tattooed. Toddler taps me in a stage whisper that yer man "will be in BIG trouble when his mammy sees that he's drawed all over himself" Bloke hears and starts laughing and said yes, his mammy was very cross and even crosser because it won't wash off. :D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

:D:D:D:D

Unless you're Mary from the local chipper with Chinese letters down the back of her neck and Arabic writing on her forearms. Not sure what she's expressing.

It says sweet and sour chicken "Live Love Laugh" in Mandarin I'll have you know!

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    It says sweet and sour chicken "Live Love Laugh" in Mandarin I'll have you know!

I have a character for strength on my arm, I worked with a Chinese speaker at the time and they checked it out before it was done.

I have known someone with what they were told was "power through gentleness". She was reliably told that it was not. There was no literal translation but it's something, well, "mucky" shall we say ?

No way of knowing that last one is true or she was being would up but if you're getting something permanently inked on you - you should check!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I don't look down on people with tattoos but I'm not remotely impressed by them either. Then again what difference does it make? Not my body so who cares?

I don't look down on people with tattoos but I'm not remotely impressed by them either. Then again what difference does it make? Not my body so who cares?

Fair point! if we all agreed we'd have a boring arsed world.

It's when the judgement and rank nastiness come out from some other posters, it'a bit "woooah totally not necessary there!"

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭irishproduce

You were saying ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_tattooing

First recorded tatto ?

Somewhere around 6,000 years ago. FYI.

I stated for "people in general", quite clearly.

Warriors/ soldiers and other such historical figures with tattoos had them for very good reason. As is highlighted in your wiki link.
    The current crop are what I would call hangers on, trying to associate themselves with the validation of a tattoo and what it is to have one. Think of it like wearing a Man Utd jersey.

Fat and overweight deadbeats, are not comparable to historical warriors and the like, who had them for very different reasons than peacocking.

I am not having a go at you, just highlighting the incorrect interpretation of my original post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

A lot of people won't like what I'm about to say. I'm in Dublin at the moment and it's almost as if, that if you want to be cool and modern then you need to get a tattoo. I even find myself seeing guys with tattoos who don't seem to fit the stereotype for getting a tattoo! I even over heard a conversation recently where by a group of lads were confused why Ronaldo doesn't have tattoos!!

When I see senior managers with tattoos I often think to myself "fair play to you for getting so far, it's a pity you had to let yourself down with that disgusting ink marking on your wrist. That's how I know this is far as you'll get". They won't get to be CEO! Especially if they also say "I done"

When I see tattoos, all I think is that such a person is likely from a certain social class, that they're a trend follower, that they probably smoke, or that they're seeking validation of some sort. Effectively, tattoos all look the same, and all look horrible. I don't think much people pay attention to what the tattoos are, and more so "oh he's got a tattoo"

I have to agree, they are desperate dirty looking things, i really really cant understand why someone would want to ruin themselves for life, why would you want to draw all over yourself?
    its now actually difficult to find someone who doesnt have a tattoo, so many of them will regret it as they grow old, can you imagine old folks homes in 50 years time, yuck!
    i have to be honest and say that as soon as i see a tattoo on someone my estimation on them goes down, traditionally tattoos are associated with jailbirds and hooligans
    its actually an epidemic at this point and a lot of it goes back to david beckham bringing them into the mainstream and now 99% of soccer players have them, pair play to ronaldo for being his own man and not getting any

I stated for "people in general", quite clearly.

Warriors/ soldiers and other such historical figures with tattoos had them for very good reason. As is highlighted in your wiki link.
    The current crop are what I would call hangers on, trying to associate themselves with the validation of a tattoo and what it is to have one. Think of it like wearing a Man Utd jersey.

Fat and overweight deadbeats, are not comparable to historical warriors and the like, who had them for very different reasons than peacocking.

I am not having a go at you, just highlighting the incorrect interpretation of my original post.

Yeah you did.

Ever thought you can have an overweight, high flying productive member of society ?

Didn't think so. Interpretation correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

For arguments sake if you had to get lifesaving treatment from a doctor and he had a sleeve of tattoos... Would you still look down on him?

cruais wrote: »
    For arguments sake if you had to get lifesaving treatment from a doctor and he had a sleeve of tattoos... Would you still look down on him?

If he was overweight then some posters would probably have him arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,271 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Each to their own. Don't care either way if someone has one.

I'd be wary of where I was getting one as it could hinder job chances. Neck, face etc. Depending on career choice obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I have a character for strength on my arm, I worked with a Chinese speaker at the time and they checked it out before it was done.

I have known someone with what they were told was "power through gentleness". She was reliably told that it was not. There was no literal translation but it's something, well, "mucky" shall we say ?

No way of knowing that last one is true or she was being would up but if you're getting something permanently inked on you - you should check!!

Why would somebody choose a language that neither they nor 99% who will view it understand, such as Chinese or Arabic? I often see Americans with Irish ancestry on here and other Irish fora seeking validation of a phrase as Gaeilge and I shake my head.

Is it a forlorn attempt to give off an air of the exotic? It comes across as the height of daft at best and downright pretentious at worst, but maybe I'm narrow-minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Contradiction in terms:P

Doesn't mean bank ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I have 2 tattoos and my tongue pierced. I've worked in my job for 5 months and yesterday was the first time someone noticed my tongue. The tattoos are hidden and will never be seen by anyone but my husband, they're on my bikini line and low on my hip.

My supervisor bent over the other day and she had a huge lower back tattoo. She's in her 50s! I was surprised she had one but she said she has more.

Some tattoos I look down on, if they're on your face I instantly think wtf

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

There's a place online you can check the meaning : http://hanzismatter.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A lot of people won't like what I'm about to say. I'm in Dublin at the moment and it's almost as if, that if you want to be cool and modern then you need to get a tattoo. I even find myself seeing guys with tattoos who don't seem to fit the stereotype for getting a tattoo! I even over heard a conversation recently where by a group of lads were confused why Ronaldo doesn't have tattoos!!

When I see senior managers with tattoos I often think to myself "fair play to you for getting so far, it's a pity you had to let yourself down with that disgusting ink marking on your wrist. That's how I know this is far as you'll get". They won't get to be CEO! Especially if they also say "I done"

When I see tattoos, all I think is that such a person is likely from a certain social class, that they're a trend follower, that they probably smoke, or that they're seeking validation of some sort. Effectively, tattoos all look the same, and all look horrible. I don't think much people pay attention to what the tattoos are, and more so "oh he's got a tattoo"

Just came across this thread and havnt read all 18 pages . Personally I would be more inclined to avoid someone who looked down their nose at anyone . Or someone who sees a tatoo and judges that person as being of a social class or other
    Give me a kind and open minded tattoo wearer anyday before a judgemental person who can't see beyond a tattoo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭irishproduce

topper75 wrote: »
    Why would somebody choose a language that neither they nor 99% who will view it understand, such as Chinese or Arabic? I often see Americans with Irish ancestry on here and other Irish fora seeking validation of a phrase as Gaeilge and I shake my head.

Is it a forlorn attempt to give off an air of the exotic? It comes across as the height of daft at best and downright pretentious at worst, but maybe I'm narrow-minded.

Helps them peacock and stand out a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Some tattoos look nice.

The vast majority don't.

The biggest issue is they're permanent so you can't just update them like you can with your wardrobe or hairstyle.

For the record I have a small tattoo in a discrete location - most people that know me would have no idea I have one and would probably be surprised. Never regretted it either - I still really like it.

topper75 wrote: »

I was heading for 30, I'm claiming mid life crisis.

Two of my others are as Gaeilge!

Helps them peacock and stand out a little.

I'm playing a drinking game every time "peacocking" is used in the correct meaning.

I'm currently sober.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

There's a young fella behind the counter of the butchers in my local supermarket who has a tattoo collar around his neck and both arms covered in tattoo sleeves. He's a lovely fella and very polite and helpful but he looks like a Russian gang member who got a job in a deli. It just doesn't look right in that environment.

Advertisement