Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell has happened to Kilkee?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

I really can't get my head around the fact that certain posters can't accept the fact that of the thousands of people go there every summer and love the place. If ye hate the place so much then don't fcuking go there and leave to the people who do like it.

That's a great way to improve a place, leave it alone for the people that go there because they're happy as it is.
    Let's not bother to improve houses, cars, roads, planes etc, just because people that use them are happy to use them as they are. Let's not bother with innovation at all. And don't be making a place inviting for tourists, in case it makes money for the already struggling businesses that are poorly supported by the "thousands of people" that go there.
    Usually when someone resorts to using bad language in a discussion it shows that they have run out of valid points and try to intimidate others, bully boy tactics. Go back to your cave.

Just a passenger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Mailcoachinn

Has always been the attitude in Kilkee from the locals.

"Give us your money and fcuk off"

A nasty insular bunch

Not all of the local business owners are like that, but most of them certainly are. For such a small town it has a disproportionate number of businesses which I swore blind that I would never darken the doorway of again

Did the residents of Kilkee once threaten to sue the Boomtown Rats over plagiarism?

“Hey, that’s our phrase”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Has always been the attitude in Kilkee from the locals.

A nasty insular bunch

May I suggest that some posters sheer hatrid of the place is darkening the reality? I for one am well aware alot needs to be done, and most are. A town with no more life than a graveyard in the winter is not something to be aspired to.

However, some of the severe nastiness I've read, alot of it from you is shocking. The fact that it has been allowed remain is very puzzling to me. Kilkee isn't a third world shantytown, (low)hundreds of thousands tourists flock to Kilkee every year, I myself worked in Kilkee a few years ago and you'd be surprised how many people think the place is fabulous. I for one don't, and generally don't like going there, but you can't ignore the tourists and their wallets!

Now let's stop branding everyone in Kilkee under the one name, and go with the motto of attack the post and not the poster, and perhaps go a bit further and say attack the post not the entire community.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

What has been observed by some posters is that the numbers going to Kilkee are dropping and the overall in the town is poor. Others insist that the place is paradise and is packed. Having looked at some photographs of Kilkee from the 60s and 70s it is clear that the place is much less busy than it was. It confirms my own observations. Some business proprietors in Killkee have a poor demeanour. I noticed the same thing in the Isle of Many years ago. A short season and long working hours leads to exhaustion and bad tempers. Kilkee people, in person and on this thread are very touchy about criticism. I once complained about a bad pint in Kilkee. The answer was "would you complain in Dublin". O course I would complain in Dublin, the difference is the pint would be replaced with an apology, not a snarl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭redved

without doubt there is an unapologetic attitude by many of the businesses in Kilkee that they have three months to make their money and to hell with politeness.
    Very shortsighted. And as for the lady in charge of naughtons possibly the rudest in the town

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭jackboy

redved wrote: »
    without doubt there is an unapologetic attitude by many of the businesses in Kilkee that they have three months to make their money and to hell with politeness.
    Very shortsighted. And as for the lady in charge of naughtons possibly the rudest in the town

With the success of the wild Atlantic way, the tourist season is much longer now. There are a lot of tourists in west Clare during winter now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

jackboy wrote: »
    With the success of the wild Atlantic way, the tourist season is much longer now. There are a lot of tourists in west Clare during winter now.

Yet the town is dead during the infamous JAN-MAR season.

I don't think much of the problem lies with rude business owners, more with young, untrained staff earning below minimum wage and working long days for weeks with no day off.

Labour laws really go out the window in that town, I can testify to that.

JCX BXC wrote: »

Agreed. I worked in the now defunct Ocean Cove back in 2002. Did a full fortnight without a day off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Worth remembering as I've said before that MOST bot all but definitely MOST of the businesses in Kilkee are owned by the same few families, and have been for many many years.

They have made their money and are happy with the status quo, no desire for innovation as what's the point the are happy as they are.

Also because as rightly pointed out by a few, it's a short season therefore most of the locals work outside the hospitality industry and commute to other places to work.

I for example work away from Kilkee but live there and personally I'd prefer it got quieter to be honest, the tourist season only brings trouble mostly and longer commutes, I have no interest in seeing Kilkee as this tourist haven, and I can assure you I'm not alone in this mindset.

This isn't a Kilkee is great post at all, I'm just pointing out that alot of locals just don't care about tourists not out of malice but rather an indifference.

To put it bluntly we have no skin in the game.

• Advertisement

redved wrote: »

I would rate her a second to the old hag in the bayview.

I don't think much of the problem lies with rude business owners, more with young, untrained staff earning below minimum wage and working long days for weeks with no day off.

Who is employing them? presumably the same ignorant bollockses who treat paying customers or potential customers with contempt.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    I would rate her a second to the old hag in the bayview.

And the wagon from the greyhound with the “nervous hyena laughter” as someone on Facebook brilliantly describes it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Is that you Mary Hickie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

"29 Aug 2018 · There's 2 extremely famous names associated with Kilkee but they're not being exploited and capitalised on: Che Guevara and Richard Harris."

Who posted this here and took it down again? Che Guevara down the road and the Donald up the road. That's a nice combination. Mix the two colours in equal measure and you should get the perfect recipe.

Is that you Mary Hickie :D

Nurse Ratchet you mean???

feargale wrote: »
    "29 Aug 2018 · There's 2 extremely famous names associated with Kilkee but they're not being exploited and capitalised on: Che Guevara and Richard Harris."

Who posted this here and took it down again? Che Guevara down the road and the Donald up the road. That's a nice combination. Mix the two colours in equal measure and you should get the perfect recipe.

Donald & Che. Making Kilkee great again. Bigly

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

feargale wrote: »

What do you mean by "took it down again"?

There's 2 extremely famous names associated with Kilkee but they're not being exploited and capitalised on: Che Guevara and Richard Harris. Oh and what idiot decided to hide Harri's statue in the middle of nowhere? It should have been placed in the town centre.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

Mikefitzs wrote: »
    Here's the problem, it's you and people like you. You're blind to the fact that what little you have in Kilkee is out of date and out of touch with what the public want these days.

Numbers are up year on year for the past 4 years. So I'd say people are very much in touch.

As for Spanish Point, it's a beautiful quaint village that has fantastic top quality accommodation and excellent West Clare hospitality, things that are missing from Kilkee..

No problem with Spanish Point yet they get nowhere near the number of tourists Kilkee get. At one particular talk on eating out in north Clare a restaurateur from Spanish Point admitted they got people who crossed on the fairy to avoid Kilkee as they were always afraid tourists would stop and not go on further. He admitted the tourists offering in Kilkee was superior for the Summer months to anywhere else on the Clare coast. The others in attendance nodded in agreement.

What has been observed by some posters is that the numbers going to Kilkee are dropping and the overall in the town is poor.

I'll repeat. Numbers are up year on year. Yesterday I spoke to a bar owner and it is the busiest September in years.

And the wagon from the greyhound with the “nervous hyena laughter” as someone on Facebook brilliantly describes it

There are always small minded idiots. If you knew her you'd know she is incredibly nice and is always helpful.

Mikefitzs wrote: »
    . Oh and what idiot decided to hide Harri's statue in the middle of nowhere? It should have been placed in the town centre.

This post sums up how little you know about Kilkee. The statute is at the start of the Cliff Walk which is packed with people all day long in the Summer. There are far more people on that walk than in the town square. The fact you are not aware of this tells me you are simply spoofing about Kilkee.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Guys, I haven't read all five pages of this thread, but I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve. I see some quite negative comments abou town being washed into the sea, and more about the quality of someones laugh.

We've a ranting and raving forum if you want that, this isn't the place for it.

• Advertisement

Palmach wrote: »

I'll repeat. Numbers are up year on year. Yesterday I spoke to a bar owner and it is the busiest September in years.

I was there in August. I saw it with my own eyes. One bar was busier than I have sen before. The bulk of the numbers are day trippers and self caterers.

There are always small minded idiots. If you knew her you'd know she is incredibly nice and is always helpful.

Maybe she is incredibly nice and helpful to people she knows. As someone who visited her establishment for lunch (never again), she was obnoxious.

Can anyone come up with a decent advertising slogan for Kilkee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Kilkee, at least it's not Kilrush.

Kilkee, at least it's not Kilrush.

Or Courtown

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

Maybe she is incredibly nice and helpful to people she knows. As someone who visited her establishment for lunch (never again), she was obnoxious.

As they don't serve lunch in the Greyhound you are talking out through your pipe.

Or Courtown

God that town is sad!

As they don't serve lunch in the Greyhound you are talking out through your pipe.

I was talking about the hag in the Bayview, not the Greyhound!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Well we're having a pleasant few days in Kilkee, food and service is fine in Myles Creek. Food is also OK in Stella Maris but service a little slack.

Unable to find Players Navy Cut cigarettes though!

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Kilkee (Irish: Cill Chaoi, meaning "Church of Chaoineadh Ita – lamentation for Ita"

Doesn't really give you much to play with now, does it. Bit of a downer. :D

• Advertisement

Well we're having a pleasant few days in Kilkee, food and service is fine in Myles Creek. Food is also OK in Stella Maris but service a little slack.

Unable to find Players Navy Cut cigarettes though!

Did you try the Irish House?

Advertisement