Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf in 2018 - the future of golf.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,128 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

From my own experience in golf (played at most levels and locations) and with my kids - I just see how weak golf is in this area.

In relation to who would visit schools etc - a pro - paid pro - paid for by CGI or R&A or GUI. You would have no problem getting young pros to do it and even have it as a module in becoming a pro. Golf is incredibly impactful when you see it , when you feel it , when you swing , when you hit the ball. These small moments and days. Have a very big impact on a young mind. I've seen it in person with local kids.

The CGI are doing a fairly good job if you ask me. They're out there, they're trying and they seem to be doing so with some success.

They'll never compete with the power of the GAA or the draw of Soccer etc etc. Getting any sport into Schools is hard, some schools are afraid of kids playing in the playground. A Principal would have a heart attack at the thought of a 7 iron and an Ultra coming in.

I'm not entirely convinced that getting more and more kids into golf will "save" golf in any great way either. If you were looking at it on the basis of developing talent, then yes, numbers really matter. But it's not going to have a massive impact on clubs financially. More likely to be a drain.

It would of course be positive, but the reality is that putting time, money, effort into getting Timmy (aged 13, from a non golfing background) to play for 5 years, only to go away at 18 and return 20 years later, isn't going to be a priority for Clubs.
    Tim could be just attracted when he's 38 via their "Get into Golf" programs which seem to be doing well. Seems to be a much better uptake among females over males so they might need to look at how they get men converted.

The reality for me is that golf is a hard sport to attract kids, from non golfing families, into. Always has and always will be imo. Probably harder than ever before. Child Welfare is massive now and impacts golf harder than most. You just can't let kids loose anymore, they have to be supervised at all times by a couple of adults.

I think the CGI have a fairly good approach. They do roadshows to get kids to sample the game. They do family days within clubs. They give Clubs a lot of tools to help them run themselves better and get out there more. They've been quite strategic in their "Get into Golf" program.

I'm as negative as the best of them when I want to be but the CGI are doing good stuff imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭valoren

On participation, the game is difficult and that doesn't help continued participation. There is a level of dedication required to maintain a competent ability. That dedication factor increases in proportion to your status in the game and your playing ability e.g. a weekend player versus a player wanting to represent the club. I am sure most golfers want to play to the best of their ability and potential and in order to do so then time sacrifices are required i.e. you might skip going to the gym and quit the weekly 5 a side match to focus exclusively on your golf. And it's the exclusivity that Golf requires which is a major factor. It requires that you need to be a master of one, not a jack of all trades. Personally to give an example, I was all set to join the nearest club in Youghal. I had done my marathons and triathlons and was happy to give the Golf the exclusivity it required. I'm older and have played Golf on and off since 1994. I worked on my swing over the past year and regained mid-handicap level competency. There was room for improvement and joining a club would have been the motivation to get even lower.

I was then blindsided by the announcement that the Ironman triathlon was coming to Youghal. I finished one in Wales in 2013 but the lure of it being held on the doorstep was huge. I plan to race it in 2020. Tellingly, I literally haven't touched a club since the announcement in May as my fitness level is gone and I need to start the base training now, 23 months in advance. I can't train for that and do it justice and be a single figure club golfer. It's not mutually exclusive and the plans to join the club are thus put on hold, my golf participation is finished for the time being.

As regards getting young people involved, I think golf clubs/Governing bodies should 'get them young'. Ironically, this will involve focusing on pitch and putt. Clubs should partner up with local P&P clubs. It would be the best way to teach kids the basics of the game. The wedge flick and putting stroke aren't as intimidating as a full golf swing and not all that difficult to master. Clubs/Governing bodies should host tournaments in association with the P&P clubs, introductory days might be held with local primary schools for example. 'No homework for a week for whoever get's closest to the hole'

It would provide a stepping stone towards learning Golf. There would be no need to segregate between boys and girls in local tournaments, physicality irrelevant in P&P. Clubs could even hold 72 hole tournaments over two weekend days (36 hole rounds) held in conjunction with the Golf majors in the Summer. I see kids today trying their hands at all sports, some involved with a litany of sports. Golf isn't a part of that because it's so difficult whereas P&P isn't as difficult. It's more enticing and appealing for kids and serves as the perfect entry point to future participation in Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,136 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You’re the one worried about children finding corpses on golf courses and yet you’re accusing others of being melodramatic?
    Mine is a factual account of a situation, thats not what melodramatic means...
    prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yes. But that's not the point of the legislation. This legislation is to protect under eighteens from any kind of abuse or exploitation whilst engaging in sport and ensuring those who come in contact with under eighteens are properly trained and vetted to the standard required. In addition there is the responsibility for the club to publish its child safeguarding statement and appoint a properly trained and vetted person to liaise with children or their parents who have raised an issue with them and to forward that to the relevant authority without reference to committees or other internal structures. It also requires that ALL members are aware of the safeguarding statement and have indicated such on their renewal form.
    Great, but I'm not talking specifically about the legislation. I'm talking about young childrens safety on the golf course.
    The legislation is to (try) ensure children are safe amongst the members and workers of the club.
    This is only one aspect of the danger children are exposed to.
    Ok Alfred Hitchcock on the golf course with the dead body. Was there a trophy for the guy who saved the kids from the Stand By Me moment :D
    Thats a pretty pathetic thing to say regarding a young man who recently committed suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

There aren't that many pitch and putt courses around. However, many clubs have practice facilities; putting greens and chipping areas that could easily simulate the same conditions as a pitch and putt course would provide. As said above, the CGI are doing some really good work on developing the game, but there could still be a lot more done. Other sports run summer camps for kids and these have proven extremely popular and effective. Golf really doesn't do anything like this other than some clubs taking on the initiative and doing it themselves on an ad hoc basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GreeBo wrote: »
    Great, but I'm not talking specifically about the legislation. I'm talking about young childrens safety on the golf course.
    The legislation is to (try) ensure children are safe amongst the members and workers of the club.
    This is only one aspect of the danger children are exposed to.
    Well this particular discussion started with me talking about the legislation. Which I've continued to discuss. Because it is a fairly serious issue for golf clubs.
    GreeBo wrote: »
    prawnsambo wrote: »
    I think there's a lot more to it than clubs simply making a choice. The most recent legislation: The Children First Act, requires risk assessments, liaison officers and children's officers to be appointed by a club amongst a raft of other requirements.

Afaik, even having children accompanied by parents or guardians just won't cut it any more.
    Exactly.
    It's just not safe anymore to have young kids miles away from anyone else effectively in a field.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Thread had some merit but I think it's only going one way so let's leave it there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement