Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed IBT WTF?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 de_Selby

So the issue wasn't that you needed additional practice, it's that they needed additional income.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 scarebus03

de_Selby wrote: »
    So the issue wasn't that you needed additional practice, it's that they needed additional income.

I definitely needed more practice, the instructor was correct in his assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Malolan

My brother was doing well on 125. Spent 3 days on that bike (including riding in traffic) and was never let on a bigger bike than 250.
    He jumped on my hornet 600 with no issues and then completed IBT on bandit 600 with another school.
    I do not think he wasn't ready for bigger bike or getting his IBT signed off, to me ads just made extra money on him.
    Anyway, he's sorted and picking up his honda cbf500 soon.

Stay away from Airport Driving School, there's many other legit schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Just to add a bit of balance. I did my IBT with ADS.
    I struggled with some aspects of riding a motorcycle as I was starting from scratch. The instructor had a lot of patience and helped me build my confidence and signed me off.

Alongside me was another guy with another instructor. He wasnt taking the ibt seriously. Was careless in his driving and making silly mistakes, and was not very focused. They had discussed with him that they did not feel he would be up to the required standard to be signed off, unless he upped his game. That's fair enough and I think he did. Never really asked or paid to much attention to him. I was too busy worrying about myself.

I have other issues with ADS, but one thing I can't fault them for is their IBT course.

Just having completed my IBT a few weeks ago with airport school of driving, I think that in fairness to them they are actually really pushing you to get through the course within the two days. I really struggled the first day of IBT. Within a few hours I was up on the suzuki gsx 650 and it was seriously intimidating. I was wrecked tired before I started the course and my muscles were not used to the repetitive action with foot pedals and handle bar levers so after a few hours I was struggling at everything. I was pushing myself of course as failure wasn't an option for me but physically and mentally I was exhausted. The instructor kept pushing me along though and I wouldn't have had the confidence to finish the first day without his persuasion and advice. I felt that it kind of reflects bad on the instructor if they can't get people through the course so they weren't letting me slacken off. Anyway I got through the first day, went home, rested and made sure I was fresh the second day. Second day went grand for me as I had the energy and I was over the initial shock of getting on a category A motorbike. But the guy I was doing the course with was wrecked the second day and he was struggling so he slowed me down a little and we didn't have enough time to complete the course within two days. We both had to come back for a few hours the third day to complete the hours out on the road and we both passed. It was a relief to pass the course as I found it a lot harder than I had expected considering I'd never been on a bike before starting the IBT. And having passed it I can understand how a lot of people fail the course on the first two days. But I met a lad who completed the yard work on the first day and went out on the road on the second day. It's actually mad that you can get going on a category A bike on the road after one or two days on a motorbike having never done it before.

• Advertisement

Just having completed my IBT a few weeks ago with airport school of driving, I think that in fairness to them they are actually really pushing you to get through the course within the two days. I really struggled the first day of IBT. Within a few hours I was up on the suzuki gsx 650 and it was seriously intimidating. I was wrecked tired before I started the course and my muscles were not used to the repetitive action with foot pedals and handle bar levers so after a few hours I was struggling at everything. I was pushing myself of course as failure wasn't an option for me but physically and mentally I was exhausted. The instructor kept pushing me along though and I wouldn't have had the confidence to finish the first day without his persuasion and advice. I felt that it kind of reflects bad on the instructor if they can't get people through the course so they weren't letting me slacken off. Anyway I got through the first day, went home, rested and made sure I was fresh the second day. Second day went grand for me as I had the energy and I was over the initial shock of getting on a category A motorbike. But the guy I was doing the course with was wrecked the second day and he was struggling so he slowed me down a little and we didn't have enough time to complete the course within two days. We both had to come back for a few hours the third day to complete the hours out on the road and we both passed. It was a relief to pass the course as I found it a lot harder than I had expected considering I'd never been on a bike before starting the IBT. And having passed it I can understand how a lot of people fail the course on the first two days. But I met a lad who completed the yard work on the first day and went out on the road on the second day. It's actually mad that you can get going on a category A bike on the road after one or two days on a motorbike having never done it before.

Firstly, congratulations on completing your ibt!

My brother was doing his ibt with ads at their branch in bishopswood, which place did you choose?

Did you have to pay for those additional few hours or it was included in the price you initially payed for the course?

Malolan wrote: »
    Firstly, congratulations on completing your ibt!

My brother was doing his ibt with ads at their branch in bishopswood, which place did you choose?

Did you have to pay for those additional few hours or it was included in the price you initially payed for the course?

I was in credit for one hour from day two and he couldn't fit us in to complete course on day two as he had a lesson with another lad straight after us so we were meant to come back for three hours out on the road and pay for two of them. I was away on holidays straight after the two day course for two weeks so I decided to book 6 hours for my third day so that I had plenty of time to fix anything I might have been shakey on after the long break from being on the bike. And I was still a little apprehensive about going out on the road as all you see if the yard for two days prior. I just had to get certified on day three no matter what. In the end it worked out fine. We used up about 5 of the hours between refresher in yard for an hour, a few hours out on the road and then food and certification write up. Feels good to get that cert, go home, ring insurance company and get out on your own bike that you've bought but couldn't use. Between commitments with work, lack of holiday days left to take and commitments with looking after the child, I knew I had to get certified on A on day 3 ha ha. Otherwise it would be months before I could go back to complete it. Stress central ha ha

I was in credit for one hour from day two and he couldn't fit us in to complete course on day two as he had a lesson with another lad straight after us so we were meant to come back for three hours out on the road and pay for two of them. I was away on holidays straight after the two day course for two weeks so I decided to book 6 hours for my third day so that I had plenty of time to fix anything I might have been shakey on after the long break from being on the bike. And I was still a little apprehensive about going out on the road as all you see if the yard for two days prior. I just had to get certified on day three no matter what. In the end it worked out fine. We used up about 5 of the hours between refresher in yard for an hour, a few hours out on the road and then food and certification write up. Feels good to get that cert, go home, ring insurance company and get out on your own bike that you've bought but couldn't use. Between commitments with work, lack of holiday days left to take and commitments with looking after the child, I knew I had to get certified on A on day 3 ha ha. Otherwise it would be months before I could go back to complete it. Stress central ha ha

Thanks for replying.

My brother also had to pay for additional 6 hrs on top of his ibt fee.
    However he was unfortunately not allowed to go on 600cc bike even though he went for cat A training.

He ended up completing his course with another driving school for another good few quids. He did that on Suzuki Bandit.

Talking about stress: I just had my full license test in Tallaght last Tuesday but passed it 100% :D

Get a good bike and enjoy riding! Ride safe and on your level :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Grats!

Advertisement