Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed IBT WTF?

Options
  • 25-07-2018 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

my brother was doing ibt course with airport driving school - not gonna mention instructor's name (pm if you want to know). He went for cat A but during the course instructor assessed he's not ready for bigger bike than 125cc and extended his course for riding in traffic on extra 270 quids. Now, that instructor didn't sign my brother's certificate after today's session in traffic saying that his road positioning was wrong, road reading, bike control etc.
    My question - is the ibt trainer legit to do this when having a complete beginner on his course? Or rather the guy is trying to pull another money from my brother?:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,027 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How would anyone be able to judge that without seeing your brother ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

My first time ever trying to ride a bike was in February of this year on a 125cc just learning around the back roads in Monaghan and I near shat myself, my control was all over the place and my balance terrible.

By the time I went to do the IBT I had at least a few months of use under my belt, there's no way in hell the instructor would've let me use a 600cc as a complete beginner. There's a world of difference in power.

It might not be nice to hear it but the instructor may be doing your brother a favour, he should get a few lessons and practice on the smaller one to build his confidence. If he was to sign the cert letting your brother go on the road unrestricted when he felt he wasn't ready your brother could potentially get himself killed.

I just checked that lesson company and they seem like a large outfit, I can't see them being short of customers, so I doubt it's a money scrounging scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Malolan

Lumen wrote: »
    How would anyone be able to judge that without seeing your brother ride?

How bad one has to ride to not get certified on ibt?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 aido43

Airport Driving School ? I think that was your first mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Malolan wrote: »
    How bad one has to ride to not get certified on ibt?

As bad as the OPs brother. This is why IBT was brought in, too many people getting on bikes with no idea how to control the bike never mind ride with other road users.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    As bad as the OPs brother. This is why IBT was brought in, too many people getting on bikes with no idea how to control the bike never mind ride with other road users.

What is the purpose of ibt? My point is - the dude was supposed to teach my brother and get him certified, so either he didn't train him properly (or at all) or is seeing an easy money.

Has anyone here failed ibt?

aido43 wrote: »

That's what I'm thinking. Unfortunately...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

What is the purpose of ibt? My point is - the dude was supposed to teach my brother and get him certified, so either he didn't train him properly (or at all) or is seeing an easy money.

Maybe your brother just can't ride a bike, even after instruction. It happens, and it sounds like this is what happened to your brother.

Might be a blessing in disguise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Is the IBT instructor not just doing his job?
    its not just a "pay the money get the cert" thing, its about road safety for your brother and for other road users.

Without actually witnessing how your brother rides, its impossible to form an opinion

No disrespect to your brother, but I'm glad to hear that instructors are failing people on IBTs.

I see your argument above, abut the instructor being paid to teach him how to ride, however, as the old adge goes, you can take a horse to the water but you cant make him drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's Initial Basic Training, if you don't meet the standard then the trainer can't sign you off. If you need more training to meet the standard then you pay for it.

I didn't need IBT because I got my licence before it came in and I'd riden off road for years. But even after I passed the test I took extra lessons as I had been off bikes for years and needed some training for road riding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There are people that literally can't drive at all ever and there are some who require far more tuition.

There is no such thing as everyone being in the same bucket but it's about getting everyone to minimum standard

It appears your brother does not yet meet that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

agree with all the above and obviously you can't comment on the guys riding until you see it yourself but IMO the instructor should have made it clear to him sooner that he would have to improve drastically or else he wouldn't be getting his cert signed. That shouldn't have come to him as a shock where it seemed like a money grab..

Thanks for your replies folks. He booked a session with another instructor and I'll update here when done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

agree with all the above and obviously you can't comment on the guys riding until you see it yourself but IMO the instructor should have made it clear to him sooner that he would have to improve drastically or else he wouldn't be getting his cert signed. That shouldn't have come to him as a shock where it seemed like a money grab..

Good point, but would the fact that he got bumped down to 125 not give you a hint that this may be the case?

TheShow wrote: »
    Good point, but would the fact that he got bumped down to 125 not give you a hint that this may be the case?

Just to clarify - he never got a chance to mount a 600, was doing well on 125 and 250, instructor never put him on 600. As I said, I will post here after the session with another instructor and his assessment. Thanks

TheShow wrote: »

Hard to know really. Someone doing the IBT at the same time as me had to be moved down from the A bike to the A2 bike for a while, but he was left off to his own devices doing figure of 8s etc and got over whatever issue it was and was back up on the A bike then, no issue.

I have heard more than once of IBT instructors trying to force 'A' eligible people onto the A2 license. That's money grabbing fuckery that'll dissuade lads from riding bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

aido43 wrote: »

Before I was doing my IBT I was researching instructors. I heard similar stories from this crowd and was advised to steer clear of them.

I can highly recommend my IBT instructor. Top fellow. Very calm and tons of patience.... His name is Tony from Irish Motorcycletraining in Ballymount.

I did the 16 hours weekend course. Started on a GS500 and advanced to a Bandit 600 after 2 hours (the GS felt like a monkey bike).

First day driving on the compound only. On the second day we were practicing for another hour and then hit the road in Ballymount. We ended up in town and then driving up the N4 via Lucan. Back to Ballymount via Clondalkin / Tallaght.

Great experience with this crowd!

MSVforever wrote: »
    Before I was doing my IBT I was researching instructors. I heard similar stories from this crowd and was advised to steer clear of them.

I can highly recommend my IBT instructor. Top fellow. Very calm and tons of patience.... His name is Tony from Irish Motorcycletraining in Ballymount.

I did the 16 hours weekend course. Started on a GS500 and advanced to a Bandit 600 after 2 hours (the GS felt like a monkey bike).

First day driving on the compound only. On the second day we were practicing for another hour and then hit the road in Ballymount. We ended up in town and then driving up the N4 via Lucan. Back to Ballymount via Clondalkin / Tallaght.

Great experience with this crowd!

Did my ibt with Ermin from falcon driving academy and had similar experience as you. My brother unfortunately decided to do his with ads...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Get your brother to contact Mick Finlay IBT instructor and boardie, lookbehindyou. He will get your brother through the ibt and will dedicate all the time he can to help him pass, he won't BS him either if he's not ready for the A.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

zubair wrote: »
    Get your brother to contact Mick Finlay IBT instructor and boardie, lookbehindyou. He will get your brother through the ibt and will dedicate all the time he can to help him pass, he won't BS him either if he's not ready for the A.

I did my IBT with Mick Finlay, great instructor and dead sound guy. He has a real no nonsense approach to teaching and I found it worked really well, picked up the skills very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spray____

conor2469 wrote: »
    I did my IBT with Mick Finlay, great instructor and dead sound guy. He has a real no nonsense approach to teaching and I found it worked really well, picked up the skills very quickly.

I've experience with him as well. He'll cater the program a bit to match the students needs if you know what I mean.

I've also had some experience with Dave Lyons at bikesafe.ie, and would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

conor2469 wrote: »

My wife did a pretest with Mick as well. She failed the first driving test due to nerves but after doing the pretest with Mick she passed the next time. Totally recommend him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,027 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

MSVforever wrote: »
    I can highly recommend my IBT instructor. Top fellow. Very calm and tons of patience.... His name is Tony from Irish Motorcycletraining in Ballymount
    I used him too, and passed first time without any pre-test messing. And I'm crap at everything. So that's some recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Reminds me of when I took motorcycle lessons a few years back. I won't say names but the instructor was useless, completely knocked my confidence especially when he told me to give up and stick to my car.

Took lessons with another instructor who built up my confidence to the point of passing my test first time.

Personally as another poster said, stay away from Airport. They are a money grabbing shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Just to disagree with the masses.

I did my A2 IBT with Dave Lyons, and pre-test training with Arron Rider training, and my progression module to A with Airport Driving School (Mark). All of them were perfectly good instructors. No problems at all with ADS.

What age were you when you did the A2? If you're one of the >24 age people who did the A2 progression then that would explain why they were good with you...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

That driving school is well known for this kinda stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Another vote for Mick, lovely chap and great instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Gavin wrote: »
    Just to disagree with the masses.

I did my A2 IBT with Dave Lyons, and pre-test training with Arron Rider training, and my progression module to A with Airport Driving School (Mark). All of them were perfectly good instructors. No problems at all with ADS.

Gavin wrote: »
    I did my IBT recently. It was my first time on a bike, I'm 33, and have an A category learner permit. After the two days, the IBT instructor graded me for an A2 bike. He explained that it's rare for beginners to be given a full power grade after the IBT.

I'm not particularly concerned, I won't be getting a full power bike anyway, and am happy to learn on the A2 bike, so it's not a problem, however from reading on the forum, I don't see any others who seem to have been in the same scenario. Is it common that with an A permit, the IBT instructor will only give out an A2 category grade?

Short term memory fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭blade1

zubair wrote: »
    Short term memory fella.

r01suu.jpg

Advertisement