Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭amandstu

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    It's a temporary order that restrains the WH from preventing Acosta from accessing the press areas.

The substantive case has not been heard yet,and is likely to take months.

Does doctoring video tapes constitute defamation of character?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

amandstu wrote: »
    Does doctoring video tapes constitute defamation of character?

Very good point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I thought that unless the White House can show that he is a threat to the president or the staff in someway then once the employer is a recognised press organisation they have to give access to whoever the press organisation says they want to send as their reporters/ camera operators. The White House shouldn't be getting a say in how the press decide who gets what job or it's not an independent/ free press.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

robinph wrote: »
    I thought that unless the White House can show that he is a threat to the president or the staff in someway then once the employer is a recognised press organisation they have to give access to whoever the press organisation says they want to send as their reporters/ camera operators. The White House shouldn't be getting a say in how the press decide who gets what job or it's not an independent/ free press.
    The WH could respond by simply having less press briefings, and doing more of the fawning, sycophantic Lou-Dobbs-style one-on-ones.

Speaking of which, my fvourite comment on that interview was a joke on the Late Show (Colbert):
    Lou Dobbs was pleasuring the president so much, Mike Pence had to get "mother" to change the channel!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

serfboard wrote: »
    The WH could respond by simply having less press briefings, and doing more of the fawning, sycophantic Lou-Dobbs-style one-on-ones.

Speaking of which, my fvourite comment on that interview was a joke on the Late Show (Colbert):

Less press briefings ? The daily fairly regularly as plentiful as the dodo daily press briefings are scarce enough as is, so let's not suggest less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,564 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The actual full ruling by the judge [and it's reasoning] to be released next week should be good for the media. Allegedly in his temporary holding judgement he referred to the White House press secretary as lying when she described what CNN's Acosta had done to the intern.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

aloyisious wrote: »
    The actual full ruling by the judge [and it's reasoning] to be released next week should be good for the media. Allegedly in his temporary holding judgement he referred to the White House press secretary as lying when she described what CNN's Acosta had done to the intern.

I think it's mainly around due process. There's precedent from the 70's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46243752

Trump says he answered all of Muller's questions by writing them down but he hasn't sent in his answers yet.
    I'm sorry, I don't even know what to say to that. I presume the answers were written in crayon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,140 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Trump says he answered all of Muller's questions by writing them down but he hasn't sent in his answers yet.
    I'm sorry, I don't even know what to say to that. I presume the answers were written in crayon.

He didn't even answer his own questions in school. He's one of the most ignorant and uneducated people walking the planet.

At this stage, you can just assume everything that comes out of his mouth is BS.

(Apart from that tax cut for middle income earners came through before the election of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Christy42

Lol. His lawyers answered the questions for him. Then they grilled into him what they wrote. It would interesting to see if he can remember what they wrote down for him.

There is a reason this is the only way he would answer questions. Much harder to have a lawyer answering them in a 1-1 interview. It isn't like he doesn't have plenty of time, he does very little work in comparison to previous presidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The very fact that you have POTUS having to try to tell the world that he wrote the answers himself, because even he knows that nobody thinks he is capable of it.

So he clearly knows just how low opinion everyone has of him. Of course he will say its the left or the MSM, but why bother making the point then. Its like a kid trying to tell everyone that the science project he turns up was totally his work, no way his scientist dad helped him with it.

Yeah he said he answered them without a lawyer. He did in his... he can't do anything by himself sure, and he expects us to believe he answered questions about the Russia investigation on his own ?

Also, I have to say I love kellyanne conways husband who really isn't towing the party line. He said the White House is a "dumpster fire" which I think is a insult to a dumpster fire. I wonder how her husbands comments go down with trump ?

I think it's mainly around due process. There's precedent from the 70's.

Hopefully there is enough there to provide a solid base for his full ruling so that it cant be referred to a higher court for examination. Don's response was to say he noted the judge's "request" to him to give Jim Acosta back his pass. Ruth Bader Ginsburg was hospitalized early this week.

aloyisious wrote: »
    Hopefully there is enough there to provide a solid base for his full ruling so that it cant be referred to a higher court for examination. Don's response was to say he noted the judge's "request" to him to give Jim Acosta back his pass. Ruth Bader Ginsburg was hospitalized early this week.

She's back in work already.

3 broken ribs and that doesn't stop her.

A bit of rain, on the other hand, is enough to stop DJT...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,197 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Trump has gone back to government shut-downs for his border wall - while the army build fences - "They built great fences. They built a very powerful fence, a different kind of a fence, but very powerful. The fence is fully manned," he said. Oh look! A squirrel!

looksee wrote: »
    Trump has gone back to government shut-downs for his border wall - while the army build fences - "They built great fences. They built a very powerful fence, a different kind of a fence, but very powerful. The fence is fully manned," he said. Oh look! A squirrel!

Those quotes show how little of a train of thought he has.

I also saw a quote from him he wants "great climate" that shows he's no idea what climate is.

The man is an imbecile.
    The best analogy so far was that he's some sort of malevolent Forrest Gump.
    The only reasons he made it this far are inherited money and having staff who do everything for him.

God forbid that the Mercers think Don's usefulness to them is over and Mike Pence should take centre-stage. I don't know if the Mercers are still a powerful force in U'S. politics after their exit from their high-profile media presence [said profile I doubt they wanted anyway] and/or if they have a particular religious creed belief.. I'm not sure who's playing games with the story [on CNN] about Don allegedly having doubts about Mike's loyalty to him.

N.K seems to be popping back up again on the Admin screen in regard to a new type of nuclear weapon experiments, according to a CNN report which included a mention [and screen-shot] of Mike Pompeo. There's the other CNN news story which says the CIA believe's the Saudi Crown Prince is personally responsible for the murder of Mr Khashoggi in Turkey, a news story that will not be of joy to Don.

With reference to N.K which Don has issues with, yesterday [Saturday] was World Christian Day for those Christians imprisoned in N.K camps for practicing their faith. My sources for that are a headline story in an Irish RC newspaper and a sermon from the altar on the same issue. Linking that up with another story on CNN on Friday that a U.S citizen expelled from N.K as a CIA spy to the U.S in a swap-deal was back in custody in N.K after he allegedly illegally entered it again for the purpose of spying, I'm wondering if sides now involved in internal U.S politics are using CNN as a message board to spread fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,089 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

A Democratic Senator now holds Barry Goldwater's seat. Orange County, Ca. is now entirely represented by Democratic candidates - I was surprised Gil Cisneros pulled out his race, but he did versus a strong and seemingly not loony GOP candidate. Dana Rohrabacher's out, probably to retire on his pension from the Kremlin. Darrell Issa's retired. All replaced by Democrats.

Reagan and Goldwater definitely spinning in their graves. What strange times, Orange County not in the hands of the GOP, first time since the Great Depression.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/orange-county-congress-blue-democrats_us_5beee224e4b0510a1f304909

There was a story stating that DJT was worried about Pence's loyalty.

Trump said he has never asked for a comment. Basis sources stated that contacted the WH but no one got back to the press.

I'm guessing here, but say Whitaker met RR and debriefed Trump, which led to Trump freaking out on twitter. Trump sees the issues and the evidence facing him. He is advised that he may be impeached. He is advised Donny Jr is in the barrel, maybe Eric and Ivanka too, kushner too (although he only cares about him as much as it relates to Ivanka).

So, faced with these realities, he wonders who profits if he goes. Trump, being the soulless, paranoid snake he is, rather than accept he is to blame for his woes, figures someone "must" be behind this. If the only person to profit from leaving is Pence, then its logical in Trump's world to suspect that he is leaking info and/or putting him in jeopardy.

A few leaps there I'll grant you but nothing is impossible or outside the range of possibilities with this guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

everlast75 wrote: »
    There was a story stating that DJT was worried about Pence's loyalty.

Trump said he has never asked for a comment. Basis sources stated that contacted the WH but no one got back to the press.

I'm guessing here, but say Whitaker met RR and debriefed Trump, which led to Trump freaking out on twitter. Trump sees the issues and the evidence facing him. He is advised that he may be impeached. He is advised Donny Jr is in the barrel, maybe Eric and Ivanka too, kushner too (although he only cares about him as much as it relates to Ivanka).

So, faced with these realities, he wonders who profits if he goes. Trump, being the soulless, paranoid snake he is, rather than accept he is to blame for his woes, figures someone "must" be behind this. If the only person to profit from leaving is Pence, then its logical in Trump's world to suspect that he is leaking info and/or putting him in jeopardy.

A few leaps there I'll grant you but nothing is impossible or outside the range of possibilities with this guy.

I would say that Trump has never forgiven Pence for his comments after the "p*ssy-tape" came out. Wouldn't be surprised if Trump ended up with a different running mate for 2020.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I would say that Trump has never forgiven Pence for his comments after the "p*ssy-tape" came out. Wouldn't be surprised if Trump ended up with a different running mate for 2020.

Trump does hold a grudge, despite whatever you've done for him since (see Sessions so that's probably very true!

Pence cannot ever come across as sincere, and so a denial in person from him to Trump would not be convincing.

Oh, and for what it's worth, i still believe Trump will not be in politics in 2020.

Just as an aside and I know it's probably better this doesn't happen, but part of me wants to see Hillary running again and that she will lead chants of "Lock Him Up!" at her rallies.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Trump does hold a grudge, despite whatever you've done for him since (see Sessions so that's probably very true!

Pence cannot ever come across as sincere, and so a denial in person from him to Trump would not be convincing.

Oh, and for what it's worth, i still believe Trump will not be in politics in 2020.

It's possible now, with the way U.S politics are now fixated on some personal-belief issues, which do carry racial overtones, that Mike may be the preferred GOP candidate in 2020 from within the fold. The notion that both the Christian religiously-minded and a right-wing cabal may reach an agreement to run their own candidate within the GOP candidate field cant be too strange as Mike Pence was elected as V/P on his own base. They could see that its now their time, on a now-or-never basis, to do so. Don Trump broke the Washington politician-mould when he was elected with his "drain the swamp" rallying call. Their's may be similar, on a "clean out the temple" basis. Posit for U.S and other political pundits.

Trump wants to publish a report into the Khashoggi murder.

http://www.tellerreport.com/news/--saudi-arabia--us-president-trump-wants-to-publish-report-on-the-khashoggi-murder-.BJKObcRTX.html

Genuinely curious what will come of it. Will Trump dare piss off his very good friends and businesses partners?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In other news; as before it looks like the melodrama of the man in charge is swallowing other stories of grifting within his cabinet: Betsy DeVos looks like she'll cost the taxpayer $20 million by Sept 2019, mostly down to a permanent armed detail that accompanies her. To remind, she's the Secretary of Education. No other cabinet member has round the clock Marshals' protection.

Seems like it might have been Jeff Sessions might have made the request, coincidentally a few days after DeVos was heckled & blocked from entering a school during a visit. I believe she's an incredibly unpopular figure in the education world, particularly within the public school system, which has come under pressure from her department (DeVos is a big supporter of charter schools) and is seen as being undermined by her direction. Teachers aren't known for being shy, tacit types when it comes to airing grievances, though there's no sense that those protests have been overly violent or aggressive.

Imagine Richard Bruton with 24 hour protection from the army, to protect him from the ASTI or TUI getting too rowdy, or close to him.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/u-s-marshals-service-spending-millions-devos-security-unusual-arrangement-n909001

It's more about sending a signal than anything else I'm sure.
    Now we just need armed guards in riot gear being conspicuously present around republican representatives to be one step closer to the visuals of a military totalitarian regime.
    That's Trump's thing anyway. Remember when he wanted a military parade? I'm sure he got that idea from his good chum Kim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

The cluelessness of Trump knows no end.
    Visiting the forest fire area in California, he came up with this marvellous idea to avoid forest fires:
    Trump: "You gotta take care of the floors. You know the floors of the forest, very important... I was with the President of Finland... he called it a forest nation and they spent a lot of time on raking and cleaning and doing things and they don't have any problem." pic.twitter.com/cC8syQobdC
    — Contemptor (@TheContemptor) November 17, 2018
    https://twitter.com/TheContemptor/status/1063888277516820480/video/1

Oh the Finns, that happy nation! Spending a lot of time on raking and cleaning the forest floors!

Actually, it sounds like the 5yo of my neighbours'. He comes up with a lot of such ideas.

Reminds me however, I need to clean the kitchen floor and do things and stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Was this after he called the town paradise. 'pleasure' several times standing in that town talking about devastation before being corrected.

He quite simply ,.

Doesn't care.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Was this after he called the town paradise. 'pleasure' several times standing in that town talking about devastation before being corrected.

He quite simply ,.

Doesn't care.

He got the name of a devastated town wrong more than once ? But sure of course he did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement