Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,107 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Is this a move to position herself as a Trump alternative in 2020?

Can't see it, the moderate wing of the party is in desperate need of someone to get behind for sure though.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Can't see it, the moderate wing of the party is in desperate need of someone to get behind for sure though.

I wouldn't consider her that moderate, she is an absolute hawk and always has been. She is just much more professional and slicker than Trump etc.
    Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Is this a move to position herself as a Trump alternative in 2020?

2024 I can see her running for sure, 2020 just seems a little to early.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider her that moderate, she is an absolute hawk and always has been. She is just much more professional and slicker than Trump etc.

Yeah I don't see anyone that close to or in the Trump administration running against him in 2020, as they're intrinsically connected to almost everything he's done, so can neither lambaste him for it nor take credit for it.

Anyone who survives until 2024 will use their working with Trump to retain his base while also appealing to undecideds as "Well I'm not actually Trump"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Haley's resignation has come out of the blue for me anyway, interested to see what's happened here

She was always an odd choice for Trump given how vocal a critic of his she was.

The latter sentence is what has me not surprised at all, only by the fact she didn't leave earlier.

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah I don't see anyone that close to or in the Trump administration running against him in 2020, as they're intrinsically connected to almost everything he's done, so can neither lambaste him for it nor take credit for it.

Anyone who survives until 2024 will use their working with Trump to retain his base while also appealing to undecideds as "Well I'm not actually Trump"

Also if its Pence in 2020, I can't see Hailey challenging him either as both are ultimately GOP establishment. She is young enough and will have plenty of options anyhow in the future. Pence or Trump losing in 2020 and she will be the main front runner in 2024.

Its a blow to the Republicans as she is probably one of the most popular politicians in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,210 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Its a blow to the Republicans as she is probably one of the most popular politicians in the country.

She can relax and enjoy the fancy curtains I suppose. Not sure how popular she is, been a lightning rod in the media as the international spokesperson for Trump's hateful policies at the UN. Being more popular than Trump doesn't mean she's overwhelmingly popular.

Hopefully they put Bolton there and get him away from doing anything dangerous. He's been there before. Maybe Omarosa and Trump'll make up and he'll put her there - my guess is someone combative will be chosen. Plenty to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Ivanka for the role watch this space

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

She will do well in the future. She has her governor experience and two years in the current administration. Seems like an eternity compared to some.

Igotadose wrote: »

Hopefully they put Bolton there and get him away from doing anything dangerous. He's been there before. Maybe Omarosa and Trump'll make up and he'll put her there - my guess is someone combative will be chosen. Plenty to choose from.

Absolutely, stick him in there. He has past experience. Will keep him away from doing too much damage elsewhere.

Igotadose wrote: »
    She can relax and enjoy the fancy curtains I suppose. Not sure how popular she is, been a lightning rod in the media as the international spokesperson for Trump's hateful policies at the UN. Being more popular than Trump doesn't mean she's overwhelmingly popular.

https://www.axios.com/nikki-haley-most-popular-trump-administration-f3698066-76e3-462f-92cd-472e3c58ca7a.html

She is popular as the above polls would suggest. There has been little since then to indicate much has changed since then.

The curtains story should not have hurt her as it was a lie which NYT had to retract very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

https://www.axios.com/nikki-haley-most-popular-trump-administration-f3698066-76e3-462f-92cd-472e3c58ca7a.html

She is popular as the above polls would suggest. There has been little since then to indicate much has changed since then.

The curtains story should not have hurt her as it was a lie which NYT had to retract very quickly.

It wasn't a lie, it turned out that the story wasn't how they thought it was initially. The word lie is very emotive there. As you said, when further info came to light they retracted it.

Luckily the NYT do have standards. Remember John Kelly calling out the DNC congress woman and was found to be lying. Did he ever retract?

I would imagine that she is rather popular. The only thing people would really know her for is the times to speaks in the UN, which is usually giving the one sides version of how the US is strong and powerful and on the side on truth and honesty. What voter wouldn't love that!

She also comes across in her interviews as smart, articulate, composed and on top of her job. Unfortunately for her, being in the GOP, she is a woman so she has little to no chance of ever being considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,238 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

kilns wrote: »
    Ivanka for the role watch this space

My money is on Kanye!*

*Joking - albeit being a slight possibilty

• Registered Users Posts: 19,238 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Re Kavanaugh, remember that Trump only hires those that declare their loyalty to him. Ask Comey et al.

Seems like Kavanaugh and Trump are alike in other ways, not noticeable before now..

https://twitter.com/Lady_Sisyphus22/status/1049476248941068289

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

The meeting of those two great minds can only usher in a new utopia for the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,690 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So Nikki Haley has resigned. Maybe now she can put her name to the NYT op ed when she leaves. Also isn't UN Ambassador a position that has to get confirmed by that bastion of democracy the US senate(read up on how the senate was originally intended to be and how senators were elected) ?

If things go really bad in the mid term elections it may not be the GOP in Charge of that confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

removed2 wrote: »
    Rapper Kanye West has been invited to the Whitehouse to meet with President Trump
    They will talk about maunfacturing, prison reform, preventing gang violence and reducing violence in Chicago.
    This will be really positive for race relation in the US
    MAGA:)
    There will be no possibility for race reform until the US becomes like the rest of the western world and stops classifying people by race.

They ask questions and speak over there in ways that are not acceptable anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So Nikki Haley has resigned. Maybe now she can put her name to the NYT op ed when she leaves. Also isn't UN Ambassador a position that has to get confirmed by that bastion of democracy the US senate(read up on how the senate was originally intended to be and how senators were elected) ?

If things go really bad in the mid term elections it may not be the GOP in Charge of that confirmation.

But is it the same scenario in that Trump would nominate the candidate to be confirmed? If so the Dems might still confirm his candidate to a) show that they're not partisan like the Reps and not obstructionist, and b) you can't really not have a UN Ambassador the same way you can keep a SC seat vacant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,107 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Compared to the (used to be) fringe elements of the party I think you can call her a moderate. Sure she's a hawk, but she is a more traditional Republican.

Her being named ambassador was actually commented on and seen at the time as his way of offering an olive branch to the moderate wing of the party.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I know, I was talking about them as two different issues, not connected, but I could have made that clearer. Apologies.

I'm just saying that the electoral college itself is a stupid system considering how some small swing states can change the election results. And it's also stupid that in the Senate, each state gets two Senators regardless of the population of those states.

In both cases, it's not always the will of the majority.

Neither the Senate nor the Electoral College system was ever intended to be democratic from a 'representation of the people's wishes' perspective. Both those institutions were put in place simply to ensure that "the people" could NOT impact many serious/important matters in U.S. politics. It was set up to allow the powerful, white, male elite to hold the strings of real power, while the newly-formed country was embarking on what was a great democratic experiment at a time when monarchies held sway all over the powerful world, and the ability of 'the people' or their right to be trusted was unknown. Basically the US is governed by a system of laws that will always hark back to 1789, with its subsequent amendments having (literally as in the case of the XIIIth Amendment) to be fought for.

The U.S.S.C was set up to ensure that this control system was maintained into the future, and to ensure that the intentions of the founding fathers, as framed in the Constitution, would be guarded in perpetuity. Conservatives on the Supreme Court are the guardians of that original intent, and changes will not come easily or often while Conservatism holds sway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭removed2

The meeting of those two great minds can only usher in a new utopia for the US.
    kanye has 300- million followers on instagram
    along with taylor swift urging her hundreds of millions of followers to register and vote, she (swift) also has a really positive message about respect and equality,
    i'm not giving trump credit for this but he is somehow magaing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭removed2

ELM327 wrote: »
    There will be no possibility for race reform until the US becomes like the rest of the western world and stops classifying people by race.

They ask questions and speak over there in ways that are not acceptable anywhere else.

agree i should have put race relation in " "
    there is only one race and that's the human race:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,026 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Apparently Taylor Swift coming out in favour of Democratic candidates has caused near meltdowns on the various alt-Right outlets on the net; supposedly she was presumed a secret Republican (insert your blonde / blue eyed remarks here), this announcement causing some severe pearl clutching.

And as much as we like to deride the influence or prominence of celebrities in modern (political) culture - given a TV celebrity is the US President n' all - Swifts public announcement is being attributed to a huge spike in voter registration; now, there are midterms coming up so of course there are going to be upticks but it's still interesting speculation all the same.
    Vote.org has experienced an unprecedented flood of new voter registrations nationwide. "We are up to 65,000 registrations in a single 24-hour period since T. Swift's post," said Kamari Guthrie, director of communications for Vote.org.

For context, 190,178 new voters were registered nationwide in the entire month of September, while 56,669 were registered in August.

In Swift’s home state of Tennessee, where she voiced support for two Democratic candidates running in this year's midterms, voter registrations have also jumped.

"Vote.org saw [Tennessee] registrations spike specifically since Taylor's post," Guthrie said. The organization has received 5,183 in the state so far this month — at least 2,144 of which were in the last 36 hours, she said, up from 2,811 new Tennessee voter registrations for the entire month of September and just 951 in August.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/claudiarosenbaum/taylor-swift-voter-registration-spike

But is it the same scenario in that Trump would nominate the candidate to be confirmed? If so the Dems might still confirm his candidate to a) show that they're not partisan like the Reps and not obstructionist, and b) you can't really not have a UN Ambassador the same way you can keep a SC seat vacant.

Regardless of who is the majority party(whether they are of the same party as the president or not) in the senate the president still has to nominate.

The dems could and it's happened in the past (if you nominate an excellent candidate obviously) but they could also say if the situation was ever to happen in trumps term in office that there are following the precedent set by the GOP.

No, probably not.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Neither the Senate nor the Electoral College system was ever intended to be democratic from a 'representation of the people's wishes' perspective. Both those institutions were put in place simply to ensure that "the people" could NOT impact many serious/important matters in U.S. politics. It was set up to allow the powerful, white, male elite to hold the strings of real power, while the newly-formed country was embarking on what was a great democratic experiment at a time when monarchies held sway all over the powerful world, and the ability of 'the people' or their right to be trusted was unknown. Basically the US is governed by a system of laws that will always hark back to 1789, with its subsequent amendments having (literally as in the case of the XIIIth Amendment) to be fought for.

The U.S.S.C was set up to ensure that this control system was maintained into the future, and to ensure that the intentions of the founding fathers, as framed in the Constitution, would be guarded in perpetuity. Conservatives on the Supreme Court are the guardians of that original intent, and changes will not come easily or often while Conservatism holds sway.

Yeah that's right. I think it was James Madison who basically said about the senate and it's make up and how that would happen and I'm paraphrasing here "we can't possibly allow the great unwashed to have a say."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mattser

everlast75 wrote: »
    Niki Hayley gone.

It's been a while since we have had a firing. They used to be prolific. Sad!

I suppose we may be getting a lot more after the mid-terms..

So any more news or sources for the "firing" of Niki Haley ( correct spelling, note ) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

mattser wrote: »
    So any more news or sources for the "firing" of Niki Haley ( correct spelling, note ) ?

I don't see a 'firing' here. Perhaps differences of views with ppl like Pompeo, but more of a 'Time to move on' moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

According to RTE, Niki is staying on as ambassador til December as she intended leaving the position then. It has Don saying she'll be leaving by the end of the year. I'll assume she'll be stepping into a new job in the new year, turning over a new leaf maybe.

Compared to the (used to be) fringe elements of the party I think you can call her a moderate. Sure she's a hawk, but she is a more traditional Republican.

Her being named ambassador was actually commented on and seen at the time as his way of offering an olive branch to the moderate wing of the party.

Oh yeah I appreciate that and her appointment when you look at her popularity was definitely a correct move by Trump. It does highlight how grim the choices are for those who lean right in America, hardcore Nativism ala Trump or polite polished war mongering hawks that the likes of Hailey represent.

No surprise Bill "Iraq was fine lets spread more democracy " Kristol loved her so much.

aloyisious wrote: »
    According to RTE, Niki is staying on as ambassador til December as she intended leaving the position then. It has Don saying she'll be leaving by the end of the year. I'll assume she'll be stepping into a new job in the new year, turning over a new leaf maybe.

In her letter to the president she says from January 2019 she plans to be a private citizen so not a new job in the administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    In her letter to the president she says from January 2019 she plans to be a private citizen so not a new job in the administration.

I can almost hear Don's mind, and other minds, whirring in overdrive "Oh damn, not another insider book"!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

So with the mid-terms fast approaching, Donald Trump is certainly putting alot of time and energy into getting out on the campaign trail.

He is in the midst of a 40 day campaign road trip, taking in over 15 States, including Iowa, Kansas, Mississippi, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, Kentucky and Tennesse.
    Thats more days mid-terms campaining than any other modern day president.

Its sure to transfer into votes for the GOP especially for states that operate early voting.

Given his energy and the many positive messages regarding the many achievements of the Trump Administration , its sure to play a big part in many of the House races. Trumps campaining could be the difference in tight races.
    Just as he demonstrated in his Presidential election campaign he has the power to get voters to go to the ballot, he has the power to convert the moderate middle of the road voter and he has the power to create a good turnout for the GOP.

The polls may be in for a surprise come November 6th.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement