Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,244 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

RIGOLO wrote: »
    So with the mid-terms fast approaching, Donald Trump is certainly putting alot of time and energy into getting out on the campaign trail.

He is in the midst of a 40 day campaign road trip, taking in over 15 States, including Iowa, Kansas, Mississippi, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, Kentucky and Tennesse.
    Thats more days mid-terms campaining than any other modern day president.

Its sure to transfer into votes for the GOP especially for states that operate early voting.

Given his energy and the many positive messages regarding the many achievements of the Trump Administration , its sure to play a big part in many of the House races. Trumps campaining could be the difference in tight races.
    Just as he demonstrated in his Presidential election campaign he has the power to get voters to go to the ballot, he has the power to convert the moderate middle of the road voter and he has the power to create a good turnout for the GOP.

The polls may be in for a surprise come November 6th.

FYI Beta O'Rourke is getting bigger numbers than the President!

Bad news for a Red State certainty, Texas and "Lyin' Ted Cruz...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

So with the mid-terms fast approaching, Donald Trump is certainly putting alot of time and energy into getting out on the campaign trail.

He is in the midst of a 40 day campaign road trip, taking in over 15 States, including Iowa, Kansas, Mississippi, North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, Kentucky and Tennesse.

Its sure to transfer into votes for the GOP especially for states that operate early voting.

Given his energy and the many positive messages regarding the many achievements of the Trump Administration , its sure to play a big part in many of the House races. Trumps campaining could be the difference in tight races.
    Just as he demonstrated in his Presidential election campaign he has the power to get voters to go to the ballot, he has the power to convert the moderate middle of the road voter and he has the power to create a good turnout for the GOP.

The polls may be in for a surprise come November 6th.

Some say the president should be doing his job instead of spending the majority of his time between campaigning and golfing. But I am of the belief he does less damage to the world when not doing his job. And his campaign rallies really show the kind of despicable person he is because he let's loose when he has his fanatics around him. I support his campaigning. If nothing else, it give plenty of interesting headlines.

Do you yhink he was mocking Ford at his rally and do you believe she made it all up as the president seems to be saying now?

There is no-one more qualified “in the world” to become the next US ambassador to the United Nations than Ivanka Trump, her father Donald has claimed.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/ivanka-trump-nikki-haley-nepotism-un-ambassador-us-donald-replace-2020-a8576526.html

Trump says he'd be accused of nepotism if he did it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Christy42

There is no-one more qualified “in the world” to become the next US ambassador to the United Nations than Ivanka Trump, her father Donald has claimed.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/ivanka-trump-nikki-haley-nepotism-un-ambassador-us-donald-replace-2020-a8576526.html

Trump says he'd be accused of nepotism if he did it though.
    He is not wrong that he would be accused of nepotism.

At this point I think it is pretty sick that anyone would support someone who makes fun of those who have suffered sexual abuse.

Yeah Trump is out campaigning. He likes it and anything that keeps him out of the white house is a good thing. Not that he spent much time there when not on the campaign trail either.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

everlast75 wrote: »

bad news in Texas... I dont think so .

It may only have been a State Senate seat, but last month the Republican candidate won a seat (SD-19) that the Democrats had held for 139 years.

Yes a Republican won a seat in a district with 73 percent Hispanic/African American.

Pete Flores - Republican became the first Hispanic Republican to seat in the Texas Senate.

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/09/18/republican-pete-flores-track-upset-race-democratic-friendly-uresti-sea/

It also cements the Republican super-majority in the TExas Senate, allowing htem to bring legislation to the floor WITHOUT Democrat approval.

Lets see what nov 6th brings, polls aside, indications from the most recent election there are Texas Republicans will do fine.

Thers no sign of a blue wave flipping anything in Texas .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

everlast75 wrote: »

It may only have been a State Senate seat, but last month the Republican candidate won a seat (SD-19) that the Democrats had held for 139 years.

Yes a Republican won a seat in a district with 73 percent Hispanic/African American.

Pete Flores - Republican became the first Hispanic Republican  to seat in the Texas Senate.

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/09/18/republican-pete-flores-track-upset-race-democratic-friendly-uresti-sea/

It also cements the Republican super-majority in the TExas Senate, allowing htem to bring legislation to the floor WITHOUT Democrat approval.

Lets see what nov 6th brings, polls aside, indications from the most recent election there are Texas Republicans will do fine.  

You could put any candidate up for the GOP and their die hards would still vote for them, heck if you ran Bin Laden in a red state on a republican ticket he would probably win because some supporters are so blind.  There is such a gulf between ORourke and Cruz both in policy and as human beings.  What level headed right minded person could bring themselves to vote for Cruz?

Ford looking to lay off 24,000 workers worldwide. Have been hit hard by the tariffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Ford looking to lay off 24,000 workers worldwide. Have been hit hard by the tariffs.

That's a tricky one to balance out. From what I've seen, they did have a plan for some downsizing anyway, but the report I read said that they have lost around $1bn as a result of the tariffs, particularly as they see China as a massive market to export to.

So, even though they were due to have some rationalisation, it would appear that the tariffs have definitely increased the scale & sped up the timeline for the cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Pete Flores - Republican became the first Hispanic Republican to seat in the Texas Senate.

And yet most GOP'ers can't stand Cruz. Yet he is basically a cert in Texas. That says for more about the GOP, and the political system in the US as a whole, than anything to crow about.

Clearly, the people of Texas have given up any semblance of open democracy and are little more than subjects to the GOP.

kilns wrote: »
    You could put any candidate up for the GOP and their die hards would still vote for them, heck if you ran Bin Laden in a red state on a republican ticket he would probably win because some supporters are so blind.  There is such a gulf between ORourke and Cruz both in policy and as human beings.  What level headed right minded person could bring themselves to vote for Cruz?

You missed the interesting factoid in that race.
    Its a 73% Hispanic African American district.

Ive no idea how you could call them die-hard GOPs.

Another Taliban reference for the GOP. I dont think those asserions stick, I htink people should have policy and real political failings to point out rather than throwing out generic Taliban references.

• Advertisement

Some say the president should be doing his job instead of spending the majority of his time between campaigning and golfing. But I am of the belief he does less damage to the world when not doing his job. And his campaign rallies really show the kind of despicable person he is because he let's loose when he has his fanatics around him. I support his campaigning. If nothing else, it give plenty of interesting headlines.

Do you yhink he was mocking Ford at his rally and do you believe she made it all up as the president seems to be saying now?

Dont worry Trmp still found plenty time to do his day to day job while on hte campaign trail.

For instance he found time to go back to Washington and have the ceremony with Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

And in so doing Trump dleivered on a PROMISE he made in 2015 to give his supporters a conservative SCOTUS.
    And also cementing a Conservative majority for a generation. Now thats what I call having an impact and delivering on an election promise.

I suspect the abti-Trumpers will come back with the same refrain of , but what has he achieved and wheres the wall. Everything in its own good time, play a long game , but getting the SCOTUS converted is a HUGELY win, its near top if not the top item for many voters when choosing a president.

So yes in fact he is finding plenty time to do his job whilst also campaigning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

As asked by Capt Obvious above...I too would like to hear your take on it

So again

'Do you think he was mocking Ford at his rally and do you believe she made it all up as the president seems to be saying now?'

Dont worry Trmp still found plenty time to do his day to day job while on hte campaign trail.

For instance he found time to go back to Washington and have the ceremony with Justice Brett Kavanaugh.

And in so doing Trump dleivered on a PROMISE he made in 2015 to give his supporters a conservative SCOTUS.
    And also cementing a Conservative majority for a generation. Now thats what I call having an impact and delivering on an election promise.

I suspect the abti-Trumpers will come back with the same refrain of , but what has he achieved and wheres the wall. Everything in its own good time, play a long game , but getting the SCOTUS converted is a HUGELY win, its near top if not the top item for many voters when choosing a president.

So yes in fact he is finding plenty time to do his job whilst also campaigning.

Not exactly a huge achievement to deliver a conservative supreme court when you control the senate and presidency. Why do you continue to act like basic procedures are some major accomplishments?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,173 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You don't think his time would be better spend doing his own job, rather than campaigning for other people to get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,719 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Dannyriver wrote: »

So again

'Do you think he was mocking Ford at his rally and do you believe she made it all up as the president seems to be saying now?'
    For me, yes I think he was mocking Ford.
    Yes I do think on the balance of probability she made it up.
    There was nothing corroborating her story. If she was assaulted then genuinely I am sorry for her but I don't think blaming someone else the week of their SC nomination and vote was the best way to go. I believe she may be mentally unstable but in any case was certainly egged on by the democrats as they believed this could get the vote delayed until after the expected (expected by democrats) blue wave in the mid terms.

Not exactly a huge achievement to deliver a conservative supreme court when you control the senate and presidency. Why do you continue to act like basic procedures are some major accomplishments?
    Considering the GOP vote in the last election for Trump was boosted by a large number of evangelicals in key states who voted solely based on the SCOTUS, it is a key achievement of the administration and will likely ensure his reelection.

If the GOP manage to overturn Roe V Wade, it will be a huge achievement in the eyes of most GOP voters as this is something that no GOP president has managed in the last 40 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Cruz and Trump have both accused each other of being liars. Why do the GOP and Trump support liars? Have they no spine?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

ELM327 wrote: »
    I believe she may be mentally unstable

Were you watching the same hearings as everyone else. There was only one person who came out of those hearings appearing to be mentally unstable, and it definitely didn't seem to be Ford
    If the GOP manage to overturn Roe V Wade, it will be a huge achievement in the eyes of most GOP voters as this is something that no GOP president has managed in the last 40 years.

This really is just depressing. At a time when most of the world, Ireland most obviously in recent times, is becoming more progressive, the powers that be, in America (supposedly the most advanced, progressive country in the world)are looking to take them back in time about 60 years.

America used to be a place myself & the missus talked about moving to, it becomes a less appealing place day by day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

So again

There was nothing corroborating her story. If she was assaulted then genuinely I am sorry for her but I don't think blaming someone else the week of their SC nomination and vote was the best way to go. I believe she may be mentally unstable but in any case was certainly egged on by the democrats as they believed this could get the vote delayed until after the expected (expected by democrats) blue wave in the mid terms.

Here is the problem: very often there is no corroboraring evidence for sexual assault. None. You could get raped yourself and by your own criteria you will never be able to prove it. It is the nature of that crime. People won't believe you.

And tbf if you bring it up during an approval hearing of your assailant it is because perhaps you are trying to protect ther people from that person.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,038 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Regardless of whether you believe her or not, do you think it's right and proper that a sitting US President would mock a sexual assault accuser (or indeed can you not see how that might be problematic for the entire movement fighting against [systemic] sexual abuse) And to be clear, this isn't the first time Trump has taken it upon himself to mock others at these rallies (be it female reporters - 'bleeding out of their whatever' - the Khan family, or his impression of a disabled journalist to name three); he had no skin in the game with Ford beyond the political capital invested, so taking the higher road wasn't hard to achieve here - it just required one fleeting moment of decorum. Can't you see why so many take a dim view of the man - not the politics, but the individual's temperament and basic levels of empathy / decency / statesmanhood (may not be a word)?

• Advertisement

When Trump made the promise to deliver a conservative SCOTUS, it was in 2015 before he got elected.

So yep its a major accomplishment, as he first had to get himself elected and then manouver thru everything the Democrats could throw at them in the last 3 weeks, and get the GOP leaders Grassley and McConnell to fight his case... and you think thats not a major accomplishment.

Cementing and consolidating the First Conservative Scotus in over 50 years with reprecussions for a generation.

Only an anti-Trumper could refer to that a basic procedure and not consider it a major accomplishment.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Regardless of whether you believe her or not, do you think it's right and proper that a sitting US President would mock a sexual assault accuser (or indeed can you not see how that might be problematic for the entire movement fighting against [systemic] sexual abuse) And to be clear, this isn't the first time Trump has taken it upon himself to mock others at these rallies (be it female reporters - 'bleeding out of their whatever' - the Khan family, or his impression of a disabled journalist to name three); he had no skin in the game with Ford beyond the political capital invested, so taking the higher road wasn't hard to achieve here - it just required one fleeting moment of decorum. Can't you see why so many take a dim view of the man - not the politics, but the individual's temperament and basic levels of empathy / decency / statesmanhood (may not be a word)?

Statesmanship is the word you were looking for.
    Trump is not "statesman"
    I don't like the mocking of disabled people, but the rest of the mocking is a direct riposte to the excesses of the extreme feminism, extreme "kava-no" variants from the metoo movement and so on.

I see there is a large group of people who, while they may not find the mocking of women to be ok, they find the extreme man hating feminist agenda even more "less ok" and as such voted for trump as a protest.

Speaking of agendas, there's an agenda online perpetuated by the left/anti Trump media that all Trump supporters are unintelligent barely intelligible braindead unemployable morons. It is common here too.
    I don't fit any of these stereotypes, I was on the school debate team, even the chess team for a while. I played rugby at my secondary school for 6 years. I work in fintech and while I'm no where near the 1%, I'm well paid for what I do. I'm a member of the diversity group at work which aims to promote rights for minority groups and LGBTQ. I'm by no means the only trump supporter that doesn't fit this media perpetuated stereotype.

A vote for Trump was often a vote in protest against a pandering politically correct anti male society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

kilns wrote: »

You missed the interesting factoid in that race.
    Its a 73% Hispanic African American district.

Ive no idea how you could call them die-hard GOPs.

Another Taliban reference for the GOP. I dont think those asserions stick, I htink people should have policy and real political failings to point out rather than throwing out generic Taliban references.
    I am not referring to that district I am referring to deep red states and the fact they would vote for anyone as long as they are republican.  
    Would you vote for Cruz over ORourke if you lived in Texas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Christy42

So again

I notice that we always get the burden of proof calls when making rape accusations but they disappear when calling the accuser a liar (and accusing them of a crime, perjury in this case). Remember there is never likely to be much evidence of an attack like this so not sure where you are going with balance of probability.

Can you not see how the POTUS' remarks can be seen as mocking all sexual abuse victims who don't have proof against their attacker? After all they may have no more evidence than Ford. It is one thing to not have a conviction. It is quite another to go over the top to insult someone who has been attacked.

He has not apologised. Anyone supporting him for taxes or abortions needs to admit to themselves they are ok with him mocking sexual abuse victims so they can get these things.

When Trump made the promise to deliver a conservative SCOTUS, it was in 2015 before he got elected.

So yep its a major accomplishment, as he first had to get himself elected and then manouver thru everything the Democrats could throw at them in the last 3 weeks, and get the GOP leaders Grassley and McConnell to fight his case... and you think thats not a major accomplishment.

Cementing and consolidating the First Conservative Scotus in over 50 years with reprecussions for a generation.

Only an anti-Trumper could refer to that a basic procedure and not consider it a major accomplishment.

If you look at only the outcome then yes, by all means it has been successful. That the Gop has had to get rid of all of its previous policies to get to this point is not something to be taken lightly.

One of the big selling points is that the GOP are better at the economy, able to take the tough decisions. This has been completely exposed by Trump.

A major selling point was repeal and Replace Obamacare, a major tagline for Trump. That has now been shown that neither Trump or the GOP have anything better to offer and now accept that Obamacare is the best option. The question now needs to be asked why they campaigned against it for so long.

The GOP were always seen as the security party. Yet they have done nothing to curb Russian election interference.

So yes, there is no doubt that the GOP and Trump are achieving quite a lot (much of the noise takes away from the real news like the deficit report out this week showing the ballooning deficit at a time of the strongest GDP growth!) but just like Bills deeds came to hurt HC in later years, many of these issues may well have long term implications for the GOP.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I notice that we always get the burden of proof calls when making rape accusations but they disappear when calling the accuser a liar (and accusing them of a crime, perjury in this case). Remember there is never likely to be much evidence of an attack like this so not sure where you are going with balance of probability.

Can you not see how the POTUS' remarks can be seen as mocking all sexual abuse victims who don't have proof against their attacker? After all they may have no more evidence than Ford. It is one thing to not have a conviction. It is quite another to go over the top to insult someone who has been attacked.

He has not apologised. Anyone supporting him for taxes or abortions needs to admit to themselves they are ok with him mocking sexual abuse victims so they can get these things.

This is a slight grey area legally, as all allegations are assumed to be true unless proven otherwise, but all accused are innocent until proven otherwise. The latter part was forgotten by the angry mob who already decided Kavanaugh was guilty, so I guess in turn the POTUS and his supporters have adopted a similar stance to the former.

If you notice, Trump's position changed from "let's see what she has to say, but Kavanaugh is a good man", to attacking her, based on his assessment of what the voter base wanted.

FYI - Trump would not and will not apologise. I, along with a lot of his supporters, would lose a lot of respect for him if he did.

Edited to add: I actually don't support his/GOP stance on abortion, but it's better than another 8 years of Obama2 aka hillary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,038 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Trump is not "statesman"
    I don't like the mocking of disabled people, but the rest of the mocking is a direct riposte to the excesses of the extreme feminism, extreme "kava-no" variants from the metoo movement and so on.

metoo is a fashion, sexual assault predates that social media trend and frankly even mentioning it is reductionism to justify crude, unbecoming behaviour: the point is that by being the US President, his automatic authority is seen as a guiding principle of a nation's mood. Whether or not you believe Ford, his words have impact. He may not be a statesman, but it is not unreasonable to ask and expect those in the highest office conduct themselves with some degree of the nation's highest ideals. To be emotive: politicians, statesmen and women, can be the best of our ideals. Or indeed as the First Lady called her own anti-bullying campaign, Be Best

By deriding an accuser, he automatically mocked others out there and legitimised the resting distrust or disbelief affording victims - legitimate cases of sexual assault who, for whatever reason, couldn't find justice (usually because despite pleading to the contrary, those cases are a he-said-she-said).

It wasn't Trumps place to decide to make a 'direct riposte', and frankly were this an isolated case I might even look at it in that frame of mind. But it isn't: the President makes a habit of cruelly - and I think that's a fair adjective - mocking those who might oppose or disagree with him (if it isn't physical mocking, it's constant, and obviously derogatory nicknames).

FYI - Trump would not and will not apologise. I, along with a lot of his supporters, would lose a lot of respect for him if he did.

So you respect him even though you accept that he is wrong? What are you basing you respect on? The fact that he refuses to apologise? So right or wrong isn't important, merely sticking to your guns?

He was wrong about the wall. He was wrong about the trade war. He was wrong about the NAFTA and how better he could make it. He was wrong about NATO. He is wrong about climate change. He was wrong about repeal and replace. He was wrong about sticking children in cages. He was wrong about Russian election interference. He was wrong about Mexico paying for the wall, He was wrong to let Pruitt way for so long. He was wrong to let Flynn stay on after lying to Pence.

But you respect him because he doesn't apologise? Is there anyone else in your life that you take the same line with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Trump is not "statesman"

I see there is a large group of people who, while they may not find the mocking of women to be ok, they find the extreme man hating feminist agenda even more "less ok" and as such voted for trump as a protest.

Speaking of agendas, there's an agenda online perpetuated by the left/anti Trump media that all Trump supporters are unintelligent barely intelligible braindead unemployable morons. It is common here too.
    I don't fit any of these stereotypes, I was on the school debate team, even the chess team for a while. I played rugby at my secondary school for 6 years. I work in fintech and while I'm no where near the 1%, I'm well paid for what I do. I'm a member of the diversity group at work which aims to promote rights for minority groups and LGBTQ. I'm by no means the only trump supporter that doesn't fit this media perpetuated stereotype.

A vote for Trump was often a vote in protest against a pandering politically correct anti male society.

Any chance you might be able to flesh out your theory about this so called "anti-male society", or like so much else in your post, is it just hot air?

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    metoo is a fashion, sexual assault predates that social media trend and frankly even mentioning it is reductionism to justify crude, unbecoming behaviour: the point is that by being the US President, his automatic authority is seen as a guiding principle of a nation's mood. Whether or not you believe Ford, his words have impact. He may not be a statesman, but it is not unreasonable to ask and expect those in the highest office conduct themselves with some degree of the nation's highest ideals. To be emotive: politicians, statesmen and women, can be our best of our ideals.

By deriding an accuser, he automatically mocked others out there and legitimised the resting distrust or disbelief affording victims - legitimate cases of sexual assault who, for whatever reason, couldn't find justice (usually because despite pleading to the contrary, those cases are a he-said-she-said).

It wasn't Trumps place to decide to make a 'direct riposte', and frankly were this an isolated case I might even look at it in that frame of mind. But it isn't: the President makes a habit of cruelly - and I think that's a fair adjective - mocking those who might oppose or disagree with him (if it isn't physical mocking, it's constant, and obviously derogatory nicknames).
    It was indeed Trump's place. They attacked his nominee to the SCOTUS, a key tenet of his manifesto and an important part of the first term to ensure a second. Unless they overturn Roe vs Wade, this will be the most important change of the Trump administration.

I do not accept your stance on the MeToo movement. I'm all for victim support but the metoo movement attempts to instantly convict the accused.

This was around even before metoo came to the fore, here's a link from a random case found by google search from 2016.

https://www.unilad.co.uk/news/man-killed-himself-after-false-rape-claim-despite-texts-that-proved-his-innocence/

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So you respect him even though you accept that he is wrong? What are you basing you respect on? The fact that he refuses to apologise? So right or wrong isn't important, merely sticking to your guns?

He was wrong about the wall. He was wrong about the trade war. He was wrong about the NAFTA and how better he could make it. He was wrong about NATO. He is wrong about climate change. He was wrong about repeal and replace. He was wrong about sticking children in cages. He was wrong about Russian election interference. He was wrong about Mexico paying for the wall, He was wrong to let Pruitt way for so long. He was wrong to let Flynn stay on after lying to Pence.

But you respect him because he doesn't apologise? Is there anyone else in your life that you take the same line with?

He is not wrong about the trade war.
    My respect is based on his ability to stand up to political correctness nonsense. The children in cages was not a Trump initiative, indeed some of the photos used in the Democrat propaganda were taken during the Obama administration.
    He is indeed wrong about climate change. The mexican paying for the wall is unlikely to happen to be far.

Above all else, Trump is a perfect juxtaposition to the liberal changes of the Obama administration. They went too far left, Trump is now bringing it back in line, similar to Reagan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement