Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

batgoat wrote: »
    The implication that she was lying or making it up was very much so present and he was mocking her. Do you honestly approve of that? You think it's okay for a president to mock a victim of rape? To mock the fact that victims of serious trauma tend to have memory issues?

I don't think he should have done it at all, it was borderline disgraceful. I didn't approve of it at all and I still don't now.

Bolded part, that isn't proven. Yet I will repeat, he repeated what she said during the hearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

2 Scoops wrote: »
    I don't think he should have done it at all, it was borderline disgraceful. I didn't approve of it at all and I still don't now.

Bolded part, that isn't proven. Yet I will repeat, he repeated what she said during the hearing.

Correction, that should have been a victim of attempted rape. I believe Ford, I do not believe she has any reason to make up an attempted rape. You can repeat all you want, he was taking jabs at her AND I'll repeat, he was taking jabs about memory gaps. Something that happens to anyone who experiences a serious trauma, it is not unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well, that is easily disproven, he did not say correctly what she remembered and did not recall. More lies from him.

Correction, that should have been a victim of attempted rape. I believe Ford, I do not believe she has any reason to make up an attempted rape. You can repeat all you want, he was taking jabs at her AND I'll repeat, he was taking jabs about memory gaps. Something that happens to anyone who experiences a serious trauma, it is not unusual.

Facts don't care about your feelings.

Trump is holding a rally now..

**Mod snip**

Please don't link dump

• Advertisement

Facts don't care about your feelings.

Statistically the amount of false rape allegations etc are incredibly low and a large proportion of rapes go unreported. So it's pretty reasonable to conclude that she didn't invent the story as statistically, it is unlikely. It's far more likely that she is one of the many who didn't report as that happens far more often.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180101025446/https://icdv.idaho.gov/conference/handouts/False-Allegations.pdf

Statistically the amount of false rape allegations etc are incredibly low and a large proportion of rapes go unreported. So it's pretty reasonable to conclude that she didn't invent the story as statistically, it is unlikely. It's far more likely that she is one of the many who didn't report as that happens far more often.

In the most fairness of terms, if she had a single person who could back her up my opinion would have been the opposite from the get go.

In the most fairness of terms, if she had a single person who could back her up my opinion would have been the opposite from the get go.

And it's reasonable to assume that for most people decades ago, such a party would have been of little importance to them so not of particular note memory wise. So easy to simply forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

The implication that she was lying or making it up was very much so present and he was mocking her. Do you honestly approve of that? You think it's okay for a president to mock a victim of rape? To mock the fact that victims of serious trauma tend to have memory issues?

Saying it is "borderline" disgraceful is a cop out. It is actively harmful to those who have suffered sexual assault. It was absolutely horrific. Plenty of republicans and Republican supporters condemned it.

They will all happily forget and support him next week.

I said it after he ordered the kids in cages. Anyone supporting republicans needs to take a long look at themselves. Sure they may want trickle down economics or gun rights but this is what they are indirectly supporting.

Buy hey roe vs wade may get overturned so who cares who lied in front of the senate or how terrified those who have suffered from sexual abuse are of coming forward. All he had to do was keep his mouth shut and say he would follow the investigation. But no he could not resist being the bully. In giving out about the uppity woman. Anyone who can't remember every detail of their assault should be scared of coming forward because this is how they will be treated.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I said it after he ordered the kids in cages. Anyone supporting republicans needs to take a long look at themselves.

Selective outrage, and you know it.

Where were your concerns when the Obama administration did the same thing? Social media spread images accusing Trump of suddenly caging immigrants, they were images from the previous administration.

5b0dafa31ae66245008b4885-750-375.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

And it's reasonable to assume that for most people decades ago, such a party would have been of little importance to them so not of particular note memory wise. So easy to simply forget.

Lets just forget about witnesses, it wasn't important for them so their testimonies don't mean crap. Let's forget the accused testimony, he's a man and must be lying.

I believe the accuser because she is a woman and therefore can't lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Lets just forget about witnesses, it wasn't important for them so their testimonies don't mean crap. Let's forget the accused testimony, he's a man and must be lying.

I believe the accuser because she is a woman and therefore can't lie.

The above comment cuts to the heart of the matter..The reason the Metoo movement is doomed to failure is that for every woman who holds up a ‘believe women’ placard, there are two women who understand that it is possible for someone to embellish/misinterpret /fabricate/misconstrue the details of a sexual encounter.

Are most accusations true? Probably.
    Are some accusations false? Definitely.

The protesters today believe an accusation is all that’s required.The majority of people don’t want to live in that world.

**Mod Snip**

Don't link dump please

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

So if it had gone 50-48 the other way democracy wouldn't have won the day? What a bizarre thing to say.

This is to ignore that the US Senate never has been, nor was even designed to be democratic. That doesnt matter in this context

Senate is nowhere near Democratic. Two senators for every state. 2 from Wyoming which has a population of 500,000 and two from California which has 40 million.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

On a business trip, sorry for delayed response here.
    Leroy42 wrote: »

You are shifting the goalposts there Manic. People are judging this deal against the rhetoric of the POTUS himself, that the pervious deal was the worst thing ever, a sell out of the US, that he would prefer a trade war than to continue on, that he would deliver a deal that would deliver jobs and MAGA.

Hang on. Are you seriously trying to postulate that our default standard of reference for anything on Boards should be Trump?

Forgive me, but I have not yet devolved to such a state of pessimism. I did not note anything on the post I replied to indicating the use of the Trump Standard, and looked at it merely from the perspective of someone who doesn’t actually pay much attention to the man.

So, since the question has come up, which goalpost shall we use absent a specific exemption in a post?
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    So if it had gone 50-48 the other way democracy wouldn't have won the day? What a bizarre thing to say.

This is to ignore that the US Senate never has been, nor was even designed to be democratic. That doesnt matter in this context

Senate is nowhere near Democratic. Two senators for every state. 2 from Wyoming which has a population of 500,000 and two from California which has 40 million.

Mmm... For what it does, the Senate is more democratic than the House. The House is a constituent representative body in the ‘normal’ manner. The Senate is much closer to a democracy, differentiated from one by the fact that each constituent can split their vote, and and that in many cases more than a plurality or even majority is necessary to carry a motion.

Think of it this way. The House represents the People (330 millions of them) and the Senate represents the States (50 of them). It’s really quite a clever way of compromising on the population issue and the “fifty separate and equal States” issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This kavanaugh confirmation is a great victory for the Trump regime and goes a long way to securing swathes of evangelical votes for his reelection.

There's a good point to be made, which is made by the white house press office - instead of a 6-3 liberal SC under Hillary, it's now a 5-4 conservative court under Trump. Many people who were not Trump supporters and do not support his attitudes to women or mexicans or muslims voted for trump solely based on the supreme court, to ensure that there is no gun law changes and they want to overturn Roe v Wade.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/brett-kavanaugh-confirmed-to-us-supreme-court-amid-protests-1.3654423

The above comment cuts to the heart of the matter..The reason the Metoo movement is doomed to failure is that for every woman who holds up a ‘believe women’ placard, there are two women who understand that it is possible for someone to embellish/misinterpret /fabricate/misconstrue the details of a sexual encounter.

Are most accusations true? Probably.
    Are some accusations false? Definitely.

The protesters today believe an accusation is all that’s required.The majority of people don’t want to live in that world
    Amen to that.
    A great way of describing the difference between a civilised society where allegations must be proven beyond reasonable doubt, and a mob rule where no one needs to prove anything. For those on the left that claim to be progressive - it's hard to claim to be progressive when you're leaving behind the legal system and going back to vigilante/mob rule

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Selective outrage, and you know it.

Where were your concerns when the Obama administration did the same thing? Social media spread images accusing Trump of suddenly caging immigrants, they were images from the previous administration.

5b0dafa31ae66245008b4885-750-375.jpg

OK, I cannot let this horseh*t go unchallenged.

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/06/did-the-obama-administration-separate-families/
    In defending its “zero tolerance” border policy that has caused the separation of families, the Trump administration has argued that the Obama and Bush administrations did this too. That’s misleading. Experts say there were some separations under previous administrations, but no blanket policy to prosecute parents and, therefore, separate them from their children.

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/21/17488458/obama-immigration-policy-family-separation-border
    Trump made separating families a matter of standard practice. Obama did not.
    It’s not that no family was ever separated at the border under the Obama administration. But former Obama administration officials specify that families were separated only in particular circumstances — for instance, if a father was carrying drugs — that went above and beyond a typical case of illegal entry.

We don’t know how often that happened, but we know it was not a widespread or standard practice.

Under the Trump administration, though, it became increasingly common. A test of “zero tolerance” along one sector of the border in summer 2017 led to an unknown number of family separations. Seven hundred families were separated between October 2017 and April 2018.

From May 7 to June 20, separating a family who had entered between ports of entry was the standard practice of the Trump administration. It was the default.

https://www.euronews.com/2018/06/20/fact-check-did-obama-administration-separate-families-n884856
    Amid outcry over the "zero tolerance" immigration policy implemented by President Donald Trump's administration in April, conservative commentators and his head of Homeland Security have sought to downplay the practice of separating families who cross the border illegally as nothing new.

"The Obama administration, the Bush administration all separated families," Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen told reporters at the White House on Monday. "They absolutely did. They did — their rate was less than ours, but they absolutely did do this. This is not new."

Matt Schlapp, chairman of the American Conservative Union, made a similar point on Fox News on Friday.

"You know what's ironic?" he said. "It's the same way Barack Obama did it."

But immigration advocates and former Obama administration officials say that's just not true: The Obama administration did not have any kind of widespread practice of separating children from their parents. Trump's policy aims to prosecute every single illegal border crossing, including asylum seekers. The government separates children from their parents or legal guardians because the adults have been referred for prosecution for illegal entry into the United States.

The idea that this is simply a continuation of an Obama-era practice is "preposterous," said Denise Gilman, director of the Immigration Clinic at the University of Texas Law School. "There were occasionally instances where you would find a separated family — maybe like one every six months to a year — and that was usually because there had been some actual individualized concern that there was a trafficking situation or that the parent wasn't actually the parent."

Once custody concerns were resolved, "there was pretty immediately reunification," Gilman told NBC News. "There were not 2,000 kids in two months — it's not the same universe," she added.

But of course you knew that, you're just leaving out this "little" detail because it gets in the way of your flag-waving for Trump.
    Or you are incapable to distinguish what Obama did, compared to what Trump did, because you lack the intellectual capacity to properly compare the 2 scenarios.
    One would have to be either a moron or a liar to say it is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

ELM327 wrote: »
    This kavanaugh confirmation is a great victory for the Trump regime and goes a long way to securing swathes of evangelical votes for his reelection.

There's a good point to be made, which is made by the white house press office - instead of a 6-3 liberal SC under Hillary, it's now a 5-4 conservative court under Trump. Many people who were not Trump supporters and do not support his attitudes to women or mexicans or muslims voted for trump solely based on the supreme court, to ensure that there is no gun law changes and they want to overturn Roe v Wade.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/brett-kavanaugh-confirmed-to-us-supreme-court-amid-protests-1.3654423

A 6-3 liberal court? Who was she going to murder to clear a path?

Garland would probably have gotten on, as he should have had the process when the GOP decided the first time to crap all over American governance. Kennedy wouldn't have resigned without talking to Trump as that seems to have been how it went. I doubt Clinton would have agreed to Kavanaugh.

Rhineshark wrote: »
    A 6-3 liberal court? Who was she going to murder to clear a path?

Garland would probably have gotten on, as he should have had the process when the GOP decided the first time to crap all over American governance. Kennedy wouldn't have resigned without talking to Trump as that seems to have been how it went. I doubt Clinton would have agreed to Kavanaugh.

Gorsuch wouldn't have been confirmed by a democrat administration.
    Assuming this vacancy now that is gone to kavanaugh was also created during a hillary administration it's pretty safe to assume it would be another liberal judge assigned.

The liberals want to go after gun rights and the conservatives want to tackle the roe v wade issue. There has been 40 years of posturing by both sides since roe v wade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

OK, I cannot let this horseh*t go unchallenged.

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/06/did-the-obama-administration-separate-families/

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/21/17488458/obama-immigration-policy-family-separation-border

https://www.euronews.com/2018/06/20/fact-check-did-obama-administration-separate-families-n884856

But of course you knew that, you're just leaving out this "little" detail because it gets in the way of your flag-waving for Trump.
    Or you are incapable to distinguish what Obama did, compared to what Trump did, because you lack the intellectual capacity to properly compare the 2 scenarios.
    One would have to be either a moron or a liar to say it is the same.

Listen to these snips from Bill and Hillary from CNN and the New York Times

Hillary:

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/politics/1194817098972/hillary-clinton-on-immigration.html

Bill:

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DswtDFqaXy6Y&ved=2ahUKEwjJ0PrV5_PdAhXnJMAKHYrwBxYQtwIwAnoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3rjZR9oGyMuW2NX6KZhgOZ

It's this hypocrisy that drove voters to President Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I oppose Kavanaugh's nomination and think the guy is a massive corporate shill, but this tweet from Ariel Dumas, a writer for Stephen Colbert's show, is nothing short of shocking.

https://twitter.com/Sam_5thEstate/status/1048735482920800257

I'm sure there will be people on here who will cheer this, but the end of the day, this is disgraceful, if someone had said that about one of Obama's judges, they'd be boycotts, calls for them to be fired etc.

Trumps certainly drove politics into the gutter in the US, but his opponents aren't much better sometimes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

To be honest, all of this just shows how poisonous and divisive US Politics has become.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

The majority of republicans wanted to confirm Kavanagh even if the accusations were proven true. You might not be Irish but in general, for this country sexually abusing people gets you in trouble. But this is also the party that nearly voted in Roy Moore.

This is the problem with republicans like you. As long as the republican wins you don't care. They can be a child rapist, a murderer, or a racist but at least they aren't a democrat. That's exactly the rot they are talking about. How can we believe anything you say when you'll defend those?

If this case had been in Ireland would we have even be able to talk about it though?the accusations are from when he would have been a juvenile under Irish law and even if he had been convicted the record would have been sealed and media records purged.
    Example being the fact that the league of Ireland has someone with a gang rape conviction playing for them that occurred when they were 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

As much as I detest Trump I see this as a victory for common sense against the #metoo "movement".

I'm not sure I agree. How do other victims of assaults feel seeing this play out? The thing was a sham from start to finish.

If someone feels they have been assaulted or abused in any way, then they have the right to be heard.

2 Scoops wrote:
    No he didn't, he said exactly what she said at the hearing. I don't agree with what he did, but he stated facts about her case.

He was clearly implying it however.

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I agree. How do other victims of assaults feel seeing this play out? The thing was a sham from start to finish.

If someone feels they have been assaulted or abused in any way, then they have the right to be heard.

Absolutely.

But the person accused doesn't deserve to have his/her life destroyed without a trial or any significant evidence.

And that to me is the dangers of #metoo, people are automatically assumed guilty.

Woah at this video.

https://twitter.com/thefunnymuggle/status/1048711553967689728

If ever these crowds get their hands on him it will make Mussolini's public execution look civilized. :eek:

And that to me is the dangers of #metoo, people are automatically assumed guilty.

It's a tough one to find a common round on for sure. Innocent until proven guilty doesn't work in the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

To be honest, all of this just shows how poisonous and divisive US Politics has become.

The US is turning into one of Trumps "****hole" countries ....... only with Nukes ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement