Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Looks like 50-48 in favour of Kavanaugh, Democracy rules the day.

It is terrible for (what is left of) American democracy that the Supreme Court has become so horrendously partisan. Not that this started with Kavanaugh of course but this whole process shows how corrupted the whole thing is.

Just as you mention democracy ruling the day though it is worth remembering that the Democratic party routinely wins more votes (and not merely in presidential elections) but end up with less seats. This is a serious problem, and all whether D or R should truly hope and work for its resolution.

https://www.economist.com/briefing/2018/07/12/americas-electoral-system-gives-the-republicans-advantages-over-democrats

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So much screeeeching it's embarrassing..

Vote is done

Game of Thrones or Michael Fassbender fans, not sure wish as they kept shouting 'Shame'.

Kiith wrote: »
    And he's confirmed.

Wasn't it always going to happen really? I mean they chose Trump, and he is manifestly unfit for his role and an all around egregious individual (they literally said so themselves!) so whats another one really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Just as you mention democracy ruling the day though it is worth remembering that the Democratic party routinely wins more votes (and not merely in presidential elections) but end up with less seats. This is a serious problem, and all whether D or R should truly hope and work for its resolution.

California is the highest population state by far and one of the most liberal so it's not surprising to me they end up with more votes.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Game of Thrones or Michael Fassbender fans, not sure wish as they kept shouting 'Shame'.

Really Robert? I've rarely agreed with you, but for the most part I find you intellectually honest in debates. Even if you don't believe the accusations you obviously understand their reasons for shouting it.

• Advertisement

California is the highest population state by far and one of the most liberal so it's not surprising to me they end up with more votes.

I anticipated that comment, it is why I posted the article. Read it.

I anticipated that comment, it is why I posted the article. Read it.

It's behind a paywall so I can't so see anything besides the first 2 or 3 paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,464 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

As much as I detest Trump I see this as a victory for common sense against the #metoo "movement".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It is ironic that Trump supporters are so in favour of the current system of democracy in the US. Has the fact that Trump claimed the system was rigged in favour of the DNC, that if he lost it was merely a con job. Has all that been forgotten and now Trump supporters feel that once again the US has a working democracy?

As much as I detest Trump I see this as a victory for common sense against the #metoo "movement".

This is indeed a victory one that relied on mobilising all the inherent advantages inbuilt within the system.

The problem is, that more and more people are now seeing for themselves that very point, they can see that the overwhelming number of politicians are middle aged white guys.

And just like Trump rode a wave of dissatisfaction with the system, they are really playing with fire by not only ignoring the movements, and it is not just the #metoo movement, but in taking a sense of glee in showing their disdain for it.

It continues to stagger me why women are continued to allow this to continue as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Really Robert? I've rarely agreed with you, but for the most part I find you intellectually honest in debates. Even if you don't believe the accusations you obviously understand their reasons for shouting it.

No, as there was no evidence to back up why shame should have been shouted at the senators voting aye.
    Holes in Blasey Ford's stories...
    Her ex-boyfriend provided a statement under the charge of perjury if he lied that she never said she had a fear of flying and flew even in propeller planes when they were together, she never said she had claustrophobia which she claimed, and he saw her give advice on how to pass a polygraph test and never mentioned a sexual assault in their 6 years together.
    The shame are those protesters who #IBelieveHer as the argument is all allegations have to be accepted and the person accused is automatically guilty because of sexism - a woman said is, so the man has to be viewed as guilty.
    That is a very dangerous precedent if it is allowed and it has been good that Brett Kavanaugh got confirmed. Absolutely no evidence and even one of Christine's friends said she was pressured to change her statement from knowing nothing to she believed CBF.
    There was nothing in it, and of course Christine Blasey Ford said she would not look to have Kavanaugh impeached, her made up story about him failed and all it has done is raise more questions about the lies she gave in the senate committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Depressing.....forget about the ideological reasons not to vote for Kavanaugh (voting rights, gay rights, workers rights etc etc..) he immediately disqualified himself with his partisan speech about Clinton, trump etc, also he straight up lied about his drinking in college and his diary. Let's not forget about this he lied under oath. There are plenty of his friends even his room mate said he partied hard....

Sad day for America....

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

RobertKK wrote: »
    Her ex-boyfriend provided a statement under the charge of perjury if he lied that she never said she had a fear of flying and flew even in propeller planes when they were together, she never said she had claustrophobia which she claimed, and he saw her give advice on how to pass a polygraph test and never mentioned a sexual assault in their 6 years together.

So let me try to understand your position. Ex boyfriend, of which we know nothing of his motives, claims in his own unquestioned statement something and you believe it.
    Ford gives a statement, is questioned in front of the Senate, yet you don't believe her.
    Ex boyfriend gives statement that points holes in Fords testimony (it really doesn't, the fact she didn't tell him means nothing) and you take that as reason to support Kavanaugh.
    Ex Kavanaugh college friends make statements pointing out his lies and the type of person he really was and you can ignore them because? Well, just because.
    Ex SCOTUS claims Kavanaugh should be disqualified yet that is nothing as he isn't directly involved in the vote, Ford's ex boyfriend says she flew (which we already know) and that means she is lying.

You can see the problem, can't you?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You can see the problem, can't you?

Ribble rabble, she provided no specifics and nobody backed up her story. That's all that matters.

Ribble rabble, she provided no specifics and nobody backed up her story. That's all that matters.

No specifics? Did you hear her testimony. She described it in plenty of detail. She included a 3rd person (why would she do this for a lie?). Not the specifics you wanted, but it is false to claim she had no specifics.

Surely him lying in front of the Senate matters?

How he got to that point is not really relevant once he did it.

Can you imagine if when the DNC eventually do manage to get a win, they start to bias all the courts like Trump is doing? Do you remember when Trump claimed that HC would take away their guns? So you are clearly not in favour of political bias when it doesn't suit. Why the change of heart?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Well now the Republicans have firm control over all 3 branches of government. So much for checks and balances and an independent judiciary.

All bets are off.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    No specifics? Did you hear her testimony. She described it in plenty of detail.

Yes, I watched the entire thing. It didn't change my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

I don't want to get into it too much. I think it's messed up that supreme court decisions are pretty much partisan and open to opinion. Like because this guy was confirmed, the US legal interpretation of something like reproductive rights may change.

All that said, I also think that it would be a problem if historic accusations of sex abuse (which remained unproven) were enough to have a political candidate not be confirmed.

I'm not saying i don't believe the charges but you can see how easy it would be to destory any career if the litmus test was someone claiming historic abuse.

The fact that the bar for evidence is so high in these cases is very unfortunate to those who take them. However, this is also not something that should be a successful strategy by anyone wishing to have a male appointee not confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

There's a breaking news story from the Washington Post that there were a number of complaints from the D.C. Circuit (i.e. other judges) about Kavanaugh’s testimony to Chief Justice Roberts, which Roberts sat on and ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Well in the recent Virginia delegate elections alot more people voted Democrat than Republican and Republicans still ended up with more seats.. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_House_of_Delegates_election,_2017

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Watching the protest at the Senate door on CNN...
    The fact that no one in the protest is over 16 years of age suggests that today’s events will do little to influence Democrats’ results in the November mid terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Looks like 50-48 in favour of Kavanaugh, Democracy rules the day.

So if it had gone 50-48 the other way democracy wouldn't have won the day? What a bizarre thing to say.

This is to ignore that the US Senate never has been, nor was even designed to be democratic. That doesnt matter in this context

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The fact that no one in the protest is over 16 years of age suggests that today’s events will do little to influence Democrats’ results in the November mid terms.

I guess I'd probably just advise you to watch some more, or take a look at the numbers arrested or whatever. You may find a few that are over 16 if you try?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Seem like a serious bunch alright...

I guess I'd probably just advise you to watch some more, or take a look at the numbers arrested or whatever. You may find a few that are over 16 if you try?

It’s a paltry crowd of disaffected high school/ college students.The sense of anti climax among the CNN panel is palpable.
    The vast majority of rational adults ( the silent majority) accept that there was simply no compelling evidence to back up Dr. Ford’s claim.
    Due process and the presumption of innocence are pillars of any civilized society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

It’s a paltry crowd of disaffected high school/ college students.The sense of anti climax among the CNN panel is palpable.
    The vast majority of rational adults ( the silent majority) accept that there was simply no compelling evidence to back up Dr. Ford’s claim.
    Due process and the presumption of innocence are pillars of any civilized society.

Ah the 'silent majority', we will see in about a month if it has impacted support.. What we do know is that the Clarence Thomas being put in at the time resulted in the 'Year of the Woman'.. Similar sorts of smears occurred against Anita Hill at the time.

You're also talking about due process but Trump was pretty happy to label Ford as a liar during the week..... Not concerned about him pulling his 'lock her up' style rhetoric on a woman who came out about an attempted rape? We also know that Kavenaugh lied under oath and behaved farcically to the point where he came across as Alex Jones with Clinton conspiracies being used as his defence. It's not exactly a great reflection of Kavenaugh.

batgoat wrote: »
    You're also talking about due process but Trump was pretty happy to label Ford as a liar during the week.....

No he didn't, he said exactly what she said at the hearing. I don't agree with what he did, but he stated facts about her case.

Ah the 'silent majority', we will see in about a month if it has impacted support.. What we do know is that the Clarence Thomas being put in at the time resulted in the 'Year of the Woman'.. Similar sorts of smears occurred against Anita Hill at the time.

You're also talking about due process but Trump was pretty happy to label Ford as a liar during the week..... Not concerned about him pulling his 'lock her up' style rhetoric on a woman who came out about an attempted rape? We also know that Kavenaugh lied under oath and behaved farcically to the point where he came across as Alex Jones with Clinton conspiracies being used as his defence. It's not exactly a great reflection of Kavenaugh.

Donald Trump’s comments in Mississippi regarding Dr.Ford were disgraceful.
    Kavanaugh did not flatter himself at the hearing, but having several million scrutinize your every blink at a job interview would rattle most humans.
    Neither point addresses the key fact : There was no compelling corroborating evidence to back up Dr.Ford’s claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

No he didn't, he said exactly what she said at the hearing. I don't agree with what he did, but he stated facts about her case.

The implication that she was lying or making it up was very much so present and he was mocking her. Do you honestly approve of that? You think it's okay for a president to mock a victim of rape? To mock the fact that victims of serious trauma tend to have memory issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

The implication that she was lying or making it up was very much so present and he was mocking her. Do you honestly approve of that? You think it's okay for a president to mock a victim of rape? To mock the fact that victims of serious trauma tend to have memory issues?

When did he do that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement