Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment 2018 (Stage 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Guys do ye mind me asking how ye scored in the report writing? Don't have to give an exact score if ye don't want, I just want an idea of how much it let me down. I scored 56 myself.

Also, booked the interview for this day 3 weeks. Am working so my thought process was to have it early in the week so I'm not knackered from work! Will also spend the weekend fully concentrated on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 P1nkr0ses

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leheaven

P1nkr0ses wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Same here. More nervous for the interview. Have to see what help is out there for it.
    I’m on hols atm so I wasn’t expecting the message. Then went running to connect to WiFi to check my results lol

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Supercron wrote: »
    What was the passing grade for the Reported Writing ? , cause even though I scored very high on the three other tests I won't be asked into the third round because of one test. I would like a re test!!!

Think you can appeal the report writing. There's something like four areas they mark you on and you have to pass them all. I can't remember exactly but it's in the information sheets somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Oruam

Guys do ye mind me asking how ye scored in the report writing? Don't have to give an exact score if ye don't want, I just want an idea of how much it let me down. I scored 56 myself.

Also, booked the interview for this day 3 weeks. Am working so my thought process was to have it early in the week so I'm not knackered from work! Will also spend the weekend fully concentrated on it.
    I've got 51 and have passed. Don't know what the minimum score is though. Good luck with the interview!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Gadaves

Passed aswell got OOM mid 400's, fecked up the report writing but hopefully it won't be too long of a wait for the interview .

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Supercron

Elliot192 wrote: »
    Think you can appeal the report writing. There's something like four areas they mark you on and you have to pass them all. I can't remember exactly but it's in the information sheets somewhere.

I've sent an email about an appeal, but unfortunately the high scores in the other three don't mean squat overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 originalhobo

Gadaves wrote: »
    Passed aswell got OOM mid 400's, fecked up the report writing but hopefully it won't be too long of a wait for the interview .

Same boat as yourself, I scored in the 300s. Hopefully the wait isn't too long.

Didn't feel I'd even qualify in fairness, so happy enough, a pass is a pass :)

Well done to everyone who qualified!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wax100

Hey guys. Posting here for a friend but he passed all apart from the job sim. How did any of you guys go about an appeal? What email etc. Any reply’s are greatly appreciate. Thank you

Wax100 wrote: »
    Hey guys. Posting here for a friend but he passed all apart from the job sim. How did any of you guys go about an appeal? What email etc. Any reply’s are greatly appreciate. Thank you

I sent an email to info@publicjobs.ie which they got back to me and said "Mail request has been sent to Garda Recruitment".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Lynch93

Happy I passed but very disappointed with my report writing. Failed it last year, all my own fault for not putting in the work, but worked hard on it this year only to go up by 3 marks, so I clearly must of just scrapped a pass. I just don't know where I lost the marks, I thought I got most of the important information that I would have missed last year when I failed :/

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jojomama

Congrats everyone going through to next stage! I got 400's aswell. I cried. I was so happy. I really thought I had completely messed up the report writing. Haven't seen anyone scoring above 400's (could be wrong) so think may have just scraped through. Don't care though, massively proud of myself here haha sorry for anyone who didn't get through but if it was me I would 100% try again next year to get through to first batch stage 2, obviously you have an aptitude for the role. I wouldn't give up

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

I've sent out an appeal about the results cause I think it was close on the report writing.

What did you score in the report writing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Got 44 on job sim and 51 report. Mid 400s. Chuffed to be honest.

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    What did you score in the report writing?

A very low 36 :( but I thought my higher scores in the other three tests might count for something but you need to pass all exams and they don't stack. I scored in the 500's in phase one but mean feck all now cause Report writing wasn't good enough.

jojomama wrote: »
    Congrats everyone going through to next stage! I got 400's aswell. I cried. I was so happy. I really thought I had completely messed up the report writing. Haven't seen anyone scoring above 400's (could be wrong) so think may have just scraped through. Don't care though, massively proud of myself here haha sorry for anyone who didn't get through but if it was me I would 100% try again next year to get through to first batch stage 2, obviously you have an aptitude for the role. I wouldn't give up

Scored low 500's and through, prob be waiting more then awhile for an interview :P haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Lynch93 wrote: »
    Happy I passed but very disappointed with my report writing. Failed it last year, all my own fault for not putting in the work, but worked hard on it this year only to go up by 3 marks, so I clearly must of just scrapped a pass. I just don't know where I lost the marks, I thought I got most of the important information that I would have missed last year when I failed :/

I got 51 in report writing and I thought I did great got all relevant info, names numbers, addresses, descriptions .. I didn't write any waffle. I thought I'd be higher but happy to be here.

A very low 36 :( but I though my higher scores in the other three tests might count for something but you need to pass all exams and they don't stack.

You need to pass all exams, that was laid out for you in the familiarisation material. The online assessments was just to prove it was yourself that done stage one. What you were really being tested on in stage 2 is the job sim and report writing. It would stand to reason that they would both have to be passed. I feel your frustration though when you were so close. Don't give up hope, try again next year, you won't make the same mistake twice. 36 isn't that poor of a score, a bit of extra work and you'd smash it.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Oruam

bottar1 wrote: »
    Lynch93 wrote: »

I got 51 in report writing and I thought I did great got all relevant info, names numbers, addresses, descriptions .. I didn't write any waffle. I thought I'd be higher but happy to be here.
    I got the same. Do you know what the highest score was?

You need to pass all exams, that was laid out for you in the familiarisation material. The online assessments was just to prove it was yourself that done stage one. What you were really being tested on in stage 2 is the job sim and report writing. It would stand to reason that they would both have to be passed. I feel your frustration though when you were so close. Don't give up hope, try again next year, you won't make the same mistake twice. 36 isn't that poor of a score, a bit of extra work and you'd smash it.

Then what was the threshold to pass for the report writing ?

• Advertisement

bottar1 wrote: »

Same here but i scored 38! I know spelling, grammar and how it's layed out are marked too maybe that's where I lost so many marks also but at the same time I thought I improved all areas significantly over last year and only went up 3 marks!?

It doesn't give the qualifying standard on the booklet - you're marked on 4 elements of your report, and even if you fail one 1 off them and do exceedingly well on the other 3 it's still a fail. For example, you could score high on a,b & d, but fail on c. So I don't think they have an exact number for a qualifying standard because people that give a high mark on three and fail one might have a over all higher mark than someone who just passes all 4 elements.

"a) Accuracy;
    b) Structure & layout;
    c) Content;
    d) Literacy / spelling /language/ punctuation.

You must reach the required standard on each of these elements in order to qualify at this exercise. Marks will be deducted for errors and omissions."

It doesn't give the qualifying standard on the booklet but your marked on 4 pillars of your report, and even if you fail one 1 off them and do exceedingly well on the other 3 it's still a fail. For example, you could score high on a,b & d, but fail on c.

"a) Accuracy;
    b) Structure & layout;
    c) Content;
    d) Literacy / spelling /language/ punctuation.

You must reach the required standard on each of these elements in order to qualify at this exercise. Marks will be deducted for errors and omissions."

I understand the structure but still what would be the score needed to pass ?

They didn’t give the threshold just your score and wether you passed or not

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Davehego

I got 55 and I passed

Vital Work wrote: »
    Also got my interview for week starting 17th September, just wondering is any one else not able to book the interview? I think we should be able to book now but the 'my bookings' section is saying I have nothing available to book. Thanks in advance!

I was able to book mine, try signing out and back in, they forced me to re-enter my details before booking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭5i6blrtngojxwf

Oruam wrote: »
    I got the same. Do you know what the highest score was?

Got 51 as well! Was kicked down a hundred in the OOM just into the second stage though so slightly thankful of having the extra prep time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

I scored 59.
    I dropped a good few places to but inside the threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Davehego

Does anyone know what happens now? First 137 will go straight away but I presume the rest of us will go through on the next two months also?

How many options did the people in the first 137 get to book an interview date?

• Advertisement

I understand the structure but still what would be the score needed to pass ?

"It doesn't give the qualifying standard on the booklet"

Advertisement