Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

If you were accused of rape you would do everything in your power to prove your innocence right? If you were asked for a DNA sample to prove your innocence you would gladly provide it right?

Not Donny though, he has fought tooth and nail against providing a DNA sample even though he proclaims innocence.

Somewhere I can read more about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

What should Trump have done differently to reduce deaths? A lot of responsibility must be also laid on individual states. Other countries are also struggling. Right now Europe is looking very bad.

Oh, I don't know.

Maybe told people the truth about COVID which he knew in February?

Maybe ot rubbished scientific research?

Maybe not rubbished or attacked experts?

Maybe not suggested people drink bleach?

Maybe not refused to wear a damn mask?

Maybe not mock others for doing so?

Maybe not tell people that it was just like the flu?

Maybe not hold superspreader events?

Maybe not push for re-opening when it was clearly dangerous to do so?

Maybe not encourage violence against Governors of a State?

Maybe not hold meetings with others when he knew he had COVID?

Maybe not tout that he was now immune from it?

Maybe not proclaim that there was a virus?

Show me one other respected leader who did this?

Interesting. One would question why she waited until he was president before making allegations. There are a lot of people who want Trump out of office and false claims are not unheard of. That said, I suppose we should consider this unproven either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He said he has never met her....so why wouldn't he want to end the trial? He could do it very quickly by providing his dna...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

What should Trump have done differently to reduce deaths? A lot of responsibility must be also laid on individual states. Other countries are also struggling. Right now Europe is looking very bad.

People take on debt for a variety of very legitimate reasons. It's tax efficient. To avoid realizing profit etc etc. His net worth is 2 Billion according to Forbes.

Property developers write off losses to reduce their tax bill. The law allows for this. You are upset that Trump did not donate extra tax above and beyond what he is legally obliged to do?

Sexual assault claims are just that, claims. Come back when there is a prosecution.

1. Promote the use of masks
    2. Discourage large scale congregations of people at unnecessary events (such as political rallies)
    3. Stop giving false medical advice, telling people that it's not serious, or that they can protect themselves by taking hydroxychloroquine, or drinking bleach
    4. Provided federal access to PPE and ventilators instead of getting the states to compete amongst themselves to source them in a time of global shortages
    5. Provide proper income supports to people who need to self isolate so that they can pay their bills and rent, and aren't forced to choose between breaking quarantine, and becoming homeless
    6. Guarantee free medical treatment and free tests for people so that people are not discouraged from going to the doctor if they suspect they have covid or a related. Currently there is limited free testing only and people are afraid to get tested in case they end up with a bill
    7. Create a federal coordinated contact tracing system
    8. Extend the ban on evictions, and provide grants to people to cover rent arrears rather than just pausing rent payments, and allowing arrears to build up to levels that are unmanageable
    9. Provide a good example, eg, when you are in hospital with Covid and are extremely infectious, do not go joyriding around the place in a car with other people in it. Do not leave hospital early and then go into a crowded building while still infectious and not even wearing a mask, do not lie about when you tested positive or last tested negative, do not lie about having had a negative test before going into an indoor venue to give a 90 minute debate.....

So, apart from absolutely everything a reasonable person would have done to reduce the spread of this virus, Trump did everything he could...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only tangentially related to the election itself, The Wall Street Journal ran an article that I found both interesting, and hilarious in an ironic twist: in 2017 to lessen the appearance of political news in feeds, Facebook (again) completely overcorrected in an attempt to avoid more hysterics around this myth of "liberal bias" ... to the extent that Left leaning outlets now disportionately suffer in the algorithm. So, yeah, liberal bias ain't a thing it's seemingly the total opposite.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-mark-zuckerberg-learned-politics-11602853200

One of the outlets affected, Mother Jones, claimed it lost out on revenue totalling $600,000 in a written response to the WSJ news:

https://www.motherjones.com/media/2020/10/now-we-know-facebook-made-changes-to-show-you-less-news-from-mother-jones/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

pixelburp wrote: »
    Only tangentially related to the election itself, The Wall Street Journal ran an article that I found both interesting, and hilarious in an ironic twist: in 2017 to lessen the appearance of political news in feeds, Facebook (again) completely overcorrected in an attempt to avoid more hysterics around this myth of "liberal bias" ... to the extent that Left leaning outlets now disportionately suffer in the algorithm. So, yeah, liberal bias ain't a thing it's seemingly the total opposite.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-mark-zuckerberg-learned-politics-11602853200

One of the outlets affected, Mother Jones, claimed it lost out on revenue totalling $600,000 in a written response to the WSJ news:

https://www.motherjones.com/media/2020/10/now-we-know-facebook-made-changes-to-show-you-less-news-from-mother-jones/

Jesus the ever evolving horror show that is facebook needs to die

• Registered Users Posts: 40 df02169

You can't honestly believe that. Sure Hillary won NH by 3000 votes and some researchers have estimated that she may have received 800,000 votes from non-citizens. I'm aware of the rebuttals to that research, but even so, you'd want to be very naive to think that the precise number was an insignificant one.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hillary-clinton-800000-votes-non-citizens/

Correcting for those errors, says Schaffner, the likely number of non-citizen voters in the 2016 election turns out to be not 5 million, nor 3 million, nor even 800,000, but zero.

But of course Snopes is funded by George Soros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Interesting. One would question why she waited until he was president before making allegations. There are a lot of people who want Trump out of office and false claims are not unheard of. That said, I suppose we should consider this unproven either way.

The problem is when he doesn't try to prove he's innocent, just tries to kick the problem down the road or prevent an investigation. As someone with a court addiction you would think he would be suing the claimants sideways, but it's not slander/libel if it's true. Same reason he's not going after proplr reporting on his taxes.

He's corrupt and fond of the girls, it's all in character.

df02169 wrote: »
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hillary-clinton-800000-votes-non-citizens/

Correcting for those errors, says Schaffner, the likely number of non-citizen voters in the 2016 election turns out to be not 5 million, nor 3 million, nor even 800,000, but zero.

But of course Snopes is funded by George Soros.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevleetaru/2016/12/22/the-daily-mail-snopes-story-and-fact-checking-the-fact-checkers/#5b6231a2227f

Snopes have some questions to answer.

Any chance you could address the counterpoints made to your assertion that Trump didn't do much wrong with COVID compared to others?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

everlast75 wrote: »
    Any chance you could address the counterpoints made to your assertion that Trump didn't do much wrong with COVID compared to others?

I estimate that chance at 32%.

I love this new way of debating.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I don't have the time or patience to address that wall of text. Truth and fiction interleaved.

I'm not saying Trump did great but the USA was always going to be a disaster. They have lots of obese and diabetic people. Lots of people with pre existing conditions.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    All,

Let's keep this thread for discussions specific to the actual election

Polling , Voting patterns , court cases relating to the election , that sort of thing.

General discussions should be in the other threads.

Thanks

Just a reminder...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

VinLieger wrote: »
    Jesus the ever evolving horror show that is facebook needs to die

What I will say in its slim defence, it was perfectly fine when it was just a silly little site for keeping connected to your friends and family. The minute they tried to monetise the experience, and especially when they tried to curate folks' political or social leanings through algorithms, that's when Facebook became a pox. And here we now have a bullet to the head of this tedious myth of liberal bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 df02169

That comes nowhere near refuting the analysis in the Snopes article. Which is your point in linking it I suppose.

I don't have the time or patience to address that wall of text. Truth and fiction interleaved.

Is that the Boards.ie equivalent of "fake news"?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Giving Biden, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin which seems very likely at this point;
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/oct/19/us-election-polls-tracker-who-is-leading-in-the-swing-states
    With a swing of 46 EC votes, what are the EC numbers like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Those states to Biden and Trump keeping everything else from 2016 its 278 Biden, Trump 260.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭weisses

I'm not saying Trump did great but the USA was always going to be a disaster. They have lots of obese and diabetic people. Lots of people with pre existing conditions.

Correct .... you were wondering "What should Trump have done differently to reduce deaths?"

And it got explained to you in bitesize pieces

If you are unable to debate this then maybe stop posting nonsense/half truths/right wing CT stuff that needs to be addressed

weisses wrote: »
    Correct .... you were wondering "What should Trump have done differently to reduce deaths?"

And it got explained to you in bitesize pieces

If you are unable to debate this then maybe stop posting nonsense/half truths/right wing CT stuff that needs to be addressed

Maybe I'll just post what I like while sticking to the forum rules. I don't owe you a response especially when your primary motivation is wasting my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭weisses

Maybe I'll just post what I like while sticking to the forum rules. I don't owe you a response especially when your primary motivation is wasting my time.

You were saying ?
    I don't have the time or patience to address that wall of text. Truth and fiction interleaved..

I would say it's addressing your point, it's more wasting other people's time if you're ignoring points made in response to you.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    All,

Let's keep this thread for discussions specific to the actual election

Polling , Voting patterns , court cases relating to the election , that sort of thing.

General discussions should be in the other threads.

Thanks

Take the conversations not directly related to the Election process elsewhere please.

Don't make me have to move to mod-actions.

because we all know how good he is at taking advice and changing his behaviour....

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1317949326203772931?s=20

hard too see how many minds this debate may actually change?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Those states to Biden and Trump keeping everything else from 2016 its 278 Biden, Trump 260.

In my opinion, this forthcoming US presidential election is not just about seeing who will be the next president of the United States, although that is its main component, but it's also a referendum on political ideologies. Trumpists would be crying bloody murder if Trump loses, but if the result resembles what you're saying here and it's all pretty close, then it'll remain a vindication of Trump's rhetoric. A more convincing win would be needed not only to get Trump out of office but also to indicate that Trumpism is not quite the movement it claims to be and is more a mix of zealots who make a lot of noise + hardcore Republicans who vote the same way every election. Show the Republican party establishment that kind of result and they'll be more encouraged to pivot away from Trump and starve him of the vital oxygen of political legitimacy.

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1318051738100756481?s=20

Interesting figures.

Is there any merit in the thought that none of the Dems would vote for Trump, but some of the Reps might vote for Biden?

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1318051738100756481?s=20

Interesting figures.

Is there any merit in the thought that none of the Dems would vote for Trump, but some of the Reps might vote for Biden?

Looking at the detail in some of the polls , there is some cross over.

Mid-single digit in terms of Registered Democrats voting Trump - 4%-5% range compared to about double that the other way - 8/9% GOP voting for Biden.

Those numbers though increase the concern over an Election night "victory" for Trump.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement