Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭ongarite

Amazon UK fixed the VAT issue.
    I bought the Note 10 Pro yesterday for £199 with checkout cost of £206 including Irish VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

markmoto wrote: »
    A while ago I had chinese mobile phone and it comes with rootkit (virus)
    Its was taking pictures, recording video and audio, read my emails and who knows what else.
    I only found out after 6 month when android issued new OS updates.
    Leave chinese phone to chinese people that's all I can say.
    I bought a Google Pixel 4A 5G, and it wants access to my photos, to record my phone calls and videos and location etc..
    If you want privacy, get a phone like Purism, Pine64 or Fairphone etc.
    Or use a custom firmware lineageOS. Or get an old Dumbphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭corkie

Its was taking pictures, recording video and audio, read my emails and who knows what else.

I think it was xiaomi and works perfectly fine until I got new OS updates from google which makes me aware of rootkit installation. But for some reason couldn't remove it.

I use samsung, my point buy phone from local branded store like 3, vodafone, tesco, etc If something goes wrong you can sue them but I doubt anything like that would ever happens.

Sounds more like you had a vendor/reseller rom (and probably the spyware/rootkit) installed by the seller.
    Could happen if purchased from not a reliable source.

Xiaomi would be updating the device and not google. But with vendor rom, you would not get updates through that route.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Sounds more like you're describing the Sony mess from 2005 than anything I can think of hearing recently with Xiaomi phones. I remember someone being concerned their phone was contacting Chinese servers, but they were syncing with micloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hate the way every single phone these days has a hole punch selfie cam mutilating the screen, they're fecking horrible, it looks like damage.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Poco F2 has a pop up selfie camera

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

basill wrote: »
    Think you are comparing apples and oranges. What did it say in your checkout basket once import fees had been added? Amazon had the Poco F3 on sale yesterday (256gb) but there was 80EUR of import fees/VAT on top which brought it up to the amazon.de/Belsimpel prices.

Got a Poco F3 via a family member

What's the best way to get all apps (+data) over from Poco F1 - eg all apps (including some none play store ones) and all log ins etc

I tried from a google account back up and all the apps but the log ins etc didnt come over

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭basill

A combination of the Xiaomi Mi Mover app and my google account got everything across. I use Bitwarden as a password manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭R11

Looking to upgrade from my mi note 10 lite plus. Is there a decent upgrade around €200-€250? Poco X3 pro?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Covieland

R11 wrote: »
    Looking to upgrade from my mi note 10 lite plus. Is there a decent upgrade around €200-€250? Poco X3 pro?

I'd go with the Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 pro, it has 108MP Camera, a good Snapdragon 732 processer, a 120Hz AMOLED Display and 33 watt fast charging, dual speakers, a big battery at 5000mah, best bang for buck on the market at the minute, it's going for €230 on Aliexpress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Covieland wrote: »
    I'd go with the Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 pro, it has 108MP Camera, a good Snapdragon 732 processer, a 120Hz AMOLED Display and 33 watt fast charging, dual speakers, a big battery at 5000mah, best bang for buck on the market at the minute, it's going for €230 on Aliexpress

I picked up a Note 10 pro from Amazon Germany.
    Has anyone a link for a fast charger with UK plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭corkie

thewools wrote: »

I got a four port version of this back in April.

Unfortunately does not ship directly to Ireland anymore.

Here is another alternative, which @suckit recommended to me when I was looking.

Try browsing around on Amazon.co.uk for version that suits you.

If you don't have prime for free shipping, order something else with it to get it (sdcard)?

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Check out Adverts. Plenty of shops advertising. You might get one local to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Did it not come with an EU one? Grab an adapter :)

kingstevii wrote: »
    How much?

Prime Deal last week - €228 including delivery

rizzee wrote: »
    Did it not come with an EU one? Grab an adapter :)

I have adapters but its a pain in the *** and easily falls out.
    A 3 pin equivalent would be preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

https://www.satworld.ie/schuko-convertor.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

One GBX linked above or similar on Amazon is the way forward. Proper screws in. Used on my old F3 with no issues and got the full ''fast charge'' without worrying about it falling out or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭xtal191

What would be a good upgrade from a OnePlus 7T?

I've had the OnePlus 1, 3T, 6 and 7T but I think I'm finally done with them as a company, they seem to get buggier with every release and imo there phones aren't worth the money anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skyblueflyer

Looking for a recommendation for a phone for around €150 ish. Will be used in construction, have already had two ulefones, but the screen has gone twice on one and the sound has gone in the other. So thinking of this time going for a normal phone with a flip case, unless there are other recommendations that I have not considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Covieland

Best phone at the minute for €150 is the Poco M3, it has a Snapdragon processer, 4GB ram 64GB storage, 6.5 inch full hd display ,a big 6000mah battery and a 48mp camera

Personally I'd try and stretch to €260 for the redmi note 10 pro and if you want the best bang for your buck the Poco F3 for €360 is the way to go.

If you buy from the official Poco and Xiaomi sites or any other well rated seller's on Aliexpress you won't have any issue with your phone, I usually buy from 'fantasy technology' store for family and every phone has been exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Hi...hoping someone can help me with this....(its almost revolver in the mouth time!)

Bought myself a Xiaomi Mi Max 3 from China.

It's running MIUI 12.5.1 stable

6GB ram /128gb storage

Seemed to be working fine until the software update and then the google suite just stopped working.

got instructions from the guy i bought it from on how to reinstall, but it just doesn't work.

I know there's ways to do this, but i'm in no way savvy with how to work it.

I've tried a couple of phone repair shops around the place, but none of them can help.

If there's someone out there who can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Cyloncity

Would anyone have any pointers for a phone 100-150 euro that has NFC and is fairly robust? Is Amazon still a runner despite tax/import costs? If not where are people going.

Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Poco F3 looks really good. I'm looking at going SIM only next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

How you mean sim only,as in your going to by the f3 yourself and then sim only deal ye?.

Advertisement