Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭rosenallis

In the exact same boat myself. My M1A1 beginning to give up, and came here to see what's an ideal replacement. RedMi 10 i think? What's your next step!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭GBX

What's the general consensus on Motorola phones. Have a Redmi note 9. Are they a more "cleaner" android version than Miui skins ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Procrastination 😂

I haven't looked in earnest to be honest. Lurking to see what's what and what's in vogue at the minute. Was tempted by the pixel 6a but haven't seriously looked at anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭actua11

So I am sure I might be making a simple mistake, but I just got a Blackview BV5500+ and am having trouble with calls on it

I got a Blackview BV6600E last year, put a 48 Sim in it, set bands to Europe, set to GSM/UMTS/LTE and has been basically fine... but with the new BV5500+ and new 48 sim.. I can't make calls with a 3G/4G signal .. only on GSM (Though Data always works perfect). I guess voLTE should work somehow, or at least it should maybe auto switch to GSM for calls, but I am at a loss to why with two almost identical setups, one doesn't work. Any ideas what I might be missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

@GBX Motos have scarcely any bloat, Heard good things about Moto Edge 30 Neo. ( Beware Motorola are notoriously bad at updates, it comes with Android 12, you will get some security, but no OS updates)

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info. Will have a look on XDA and see what the community is like as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Any word yet on the Note 12 yet? I thought it would be released by now.

I need to update my phone as the battery is gone in it - just can't hold charge.

Would consider anything else that is not crammed with bloat nor adverts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Jesus, came across it this morning and just assumed it was an official website of the brand.

It's not to say there bogus, just not an official outlet. Others have bought without issue from them but they are a seller is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Trigger85

What's a decent mid range phone? Camera and battery would be main things I'm looking for. Ideally the max budget 5-600 there or there abouts.

Seen a lot of mentions for Poco x4 gt ?

Post edited by Trigger85 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

I've had the Mi A1 since 2018 for a similar price so to get 5 years from a smart phone is amazing.

It's definitely on it's last legs now though, the charging port needs replacing and the battery life is poor so plan to get a new phone.

Probably the only drawback with the Mi A1 was the quality of the photos.

Which of the Xiaomi/Poco/Redmi would you think has the best camera, willing to spend up to 250 euro?

Also, most of these don't support 5G, do people consider that to be a big issue? (I live in London where 5G is available, not sure if it's available everywhere)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I've a note 11s coming from amazon Italy for 200e.

Camera is 108 mb

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭shmeee

Plus 1 on Xiaomi.ie, purchased multiple devices (Redmi's) from them over the last number of months. No issue, fast delivery and products came with Irish/UK plug.

The site owners are trading as JAV ELECTRONICS LTD, 77 Camden Street, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

Unfortunately my MIi A1 seems to have died or at least it's stuck on the Boot Logo screen :( so I need to make a decision pretty fast.

I'm thinking of the Poco F4 5G (6GB Ram 128GB Rom) as the camera seems to get slightly better reviews than any of the other Xiaomi phones in the £200 to £300 range.

Has anyone bought from any of the following in the UK and can vouch for their reputation Idealo, MiaGadget, techinthebasket, or do they just ship from china?

Just seen the prices for the note 12 on the UK site and tbh it's not the value it once was.

So I'm for alternatives. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭POBox19

How close to obsolete is it considering that the Redmi is now onto 12?

It will still do a good job for the money. You'll likely get android 12. But would not be many OS updates after that as it's probably at the end of the update cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭POBox19

It may well be stepping through the door of obsolescence, but it is still a very good phone for the money. It will be a big step up from your Redmi Note 4 and likely last as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,270 ✭✭✭jj880

Good amazon deal for redmi note 10 if looking for light usage cheap phone. E.g. my father needed a smart phone for his hearing aid app and calls. We got him this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Looking to buy Samsung s23 Ultra global version to bypass the Europe earphone decibel level limit.

The only place I can see seems to be Bludiode? Has anyone used this site before? The phones are cheap but seems like people are waiting a long time.

All our Xiaomi phones are excellent. Only con at the moment is they are totally random when it comes to notifications for Facebook messenger. Sometimes you get a message notification or call but most of the time we get nothing. You have to open the app to see if you have any messages or calls. Very annoying. WhatsApp works great. No such issues. Ive tried lots of fixes from googling (clear cache, turn off power saving, ensure notifications are allowed) but nothing works. Anyone found a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I had a xiaomi phone for a while and had to give it up due to the excessive power saving modes that suppressed notifications. No matter what I tried it never fully worked for me. The issue is the software, the hardware was superb.

Massive pain in the bollix. Just found yet another power saving app list buried in the settings on my x4 pro. Its called App Battery Saver. Messenger was set to "Battery saver (recommended)". Might do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭user302243

I've cracked the screen on my Pixel 4a (yet again!) and debating between spending > €100 to get it repaired -v- upgrading.

My budget at a stretch is €200, but would rather closer to €100 which is what the pixel originally cost me.

I love the small size of the 4a, but would like something a bit more rugged. Also, no bloatware. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Hi there, did you get sorted after?

I'm a similar price range here and looking to pick your brain!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭user302243

Nope, debating just fixing the 4a at this point, or upgrade to 6a through Vodafone for 250. Seems very hard to find a phone that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

One week into life with the 6a (Amazon for 320) and gotta say gorse impressions are good. Nice size, good screen and camera, battery seems good.

First impressions good. Very sleek design and slippery, so get a case of you're buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

What did you end up getting? my F2 Pro has stopped taking a charge so need something pretty quick am thinking of getting the Poco X5 Pro which I can pick up the 8GB + 256GB for just under 400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Still on the F2 pro at the moment. The next phone will be a Poco F5 pro, it is in release limbo at the moment though. When it arrives, I'll be unlocking the bootloader and flashing to xiaomi.eu ROM.

If I had to absolutely buy now? I'd be tossing a coin between the Poco f4 GT or variant of the Poco X5

Advertisement