Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭POBox19

Redmi Note 12 Pro 5G 8GB/256GB Black, €303 https://www.belsimpel.nl/xiaomi-redmi-note-12-pro-5g-8gb/256gb-zwart

Redmi Note 12 Pro+ 5G 8GB/256GB Black, €393 https://www.belsimpel.nl/xiaomi-redmi-note-12-pro-plus-8gb/256gb-zwart

These will include an EU charger in the box. They say delivery the day after tomorrow, but it means shipping which takes 3/4 days. I've bought a few things from them and the service was first class.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Probably a Xiaomi (maybe a Note 12) - got a Redmi Note 4 at the minute. But open to all brands - no preference. What is classed a light user now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I'm about to buy the Poco F5 on Amazon de. Is it worth the extra for the 12gb ram over the 8gb ram ? I don't know really and seems 12gb is overkill for a phone. My laptop doesnt even have 12gb ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have the 12gb, moved from a Poco f2 pro with 8gb and find it makes a difference. That said, not a huge one so it is very much your own call. You also have the option of using virtual memory to boost physical ram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Bought one from them Tuesday night & delivered this morning, excellent turnaround.

Does anyone know what's the best adapter is for the EU charger? I have this one below

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Nice one. How are you finding it ?

Something like this might be easier to manage

https://www.satworld.ie/2-pin-to-3-pin-plug-adapter-eu-to-irl-uk.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Cheers for that. Only setting it up so will know in a couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭shmeee

I got a redmi a few years back with a 2 pin plug and when using an adapter to 3 pin, the fast charger function would not work. So just bought a fast charger plug online. Just something to note, otherwise the fast charge feature is pointless.

That should work fine. You won’t have to bother with it if you’re going to most other EU countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You'll get them in Dunnes too. The freetv ones won't fit on some chargers and the shaver adaptor type are very puny to have a heavy charger hanging out of them, you'll need to change the 1A fuse too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

My redme note 11 ...I notice the return and "?123" buttons and progress bar on e.g. chrome gone a kind of greenish from white

Not sure if it's a screen hardware problem or some software setting I accidentally turned on.

🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭half pint

My redmi note 8 is coming to the end of its life and I'm a bit lost looking at the options in my price range. Looking at around €250 range. Phone is just for everyday life, scrolling the internet, WhatsApp, texts & calls. No gaming or streaming. I would like it to have NFC though.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭jj880

Is this the 90hz phone or can you turn screen down from 120 to 60hz?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Its on 60 Hz to save battery ( there is also a 90 hz option ).

Redmi 12 is a good basic phone and it has NFC. Costs about €180, possibly a bit less if you keep shopping around.

https://www.belsimpel.nl/xiaomi-redmi-12-8gb

Edit ** sorted.

Post edited by GBX on

I've still got my Redmi Note 4.

I have to subscribe you a hospital blood results service that send them via text.

I am unable to accept the service request as it seems I don't have premium sms services enabled.

How do I get this enabled?

Thanks.

That would be through your phone network. Give them a call or through social media - possibly Twitter

• Advertisement

I contacted them and they confirmed that the option is enabled.

So it is now an issue with the handset. How do I enable premium sms on a Redmi Note 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,354 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Bit of advice please? I have a pixel 6, it's dying now. Battery life is woeful, weird glitches, etc. I'm waiting for the pixel 8 launch to see what's there, but in the meantime, are there any decent devices from the not-obvious manufacturers?

My requirements would be similar performance to pixel 6, but bigger screen, and better battery. I've used miui and hate it with a burning passion, so don't want any device with that. As close to stock as possible. I'd be happy paying €700-800 if needed, but I'm just as happy paying less. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

One plus 11

Oppo find X5 pro

Honor magic 5 pro

Can't vouch for the Honor but it's got great reviews have owned many one plus phones and loved them all, skipped the 11 as it has no wireless charging and bought the X5 pro instead it's a beast of a phone 80w charging fantastic display super fast, pretty close to stock android but I always use Nova launcher

The X5 pro is the oldest with the snapdragon 8 gen 1 processor the other 2 have the gen 2 but I'd still highly recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Hi all - Looking at phones in the EUR 300-400 price range, lots to choose from so could do with some advice. Priorities would be camera and decent battery life with fast charge, something that is not clunky in terms of software and is future proofed with updates for a few years at least.

I've whittled it down to the following:

Oneplus Nord 2T (around EUR 360 - 400)

Oppo Find X5 (around EUR 400+)

Poco F5 (around EUR 360 - 400)

Also looked at Poco X5 and pro versions within budget. Google's didn't seem to get get reviews for battery life and Xiaomis for software.

Id appreciate any input, thanks all.

Recently got the Poco X5 pro. Battery life is great. No slouch with the 8gb ram plus you can add up to 5gb virtual ram too.

My only issue is I'd planned on putting Lineage or Pixel experience on it but can't unlock the bootloader currently as Ive no way of receiving the SMS verification. That being said, it's a really good phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Thanks GBX. I can see there are huge variances in terms of prices between the European Amazon sites. Should these phones all work in Ireland or would I need a certain version?

Yeah, no issue at all working here.

I got mine on Amazon UK as I wanted to get the 67w charger. Bear in mind, you will get a 2 pin plug from any of the other Amazon sites. You can pick up an adapter which should do the job. I'll post a link shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 macthaidhg

Hi all, I purchased the Redmi Note 12 Pro 5G Global Edition (AliExpress) and out of the box 4G/5G was not working (Gomo). Eventually managed to get it working after changing APN settings following a xiaomi/gomo fix on boards.ie. However, last week all calls/data on cellular stopped working completely! The phone shows 3G/4G/5G signal strength, but I cannot make/receive calls or send/receive texts other than texts sending/receiving intermittently. I was thinking it was an issue with gomo so I walked into a Vodafone shop to enquire about switching. They tried an activated Vodafone sim and the problems are the same - I cannot make/receive calls or send/receive texts. They are saying that the phone must be faulty.

Is this correct or is it just that this phone has not been configured properly for Ireland? I already contacted gomo support who were useless. I also contacted the seller who advised to contact Xiaomi Ireland for the warranty claim or go through Fónfix for an in-warranty repair. Desperate to get the phone working as I love the phone. Before having to do a factory reset and sending it for return/repair, does anyone know anything that I should try to get this working?

I'd advise a factory reset first and see that fixes it. Going through Fonfix might be the best option. Hopefully the reset might refresh any settings to allow calls. Is the phone up to date ?

There is no official Xiaomi presence in Ireland - Xiaomi.ie is a retailer who uses their name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 macthaidhg

Thanks. I'm relectant to try the factory reset just yet as I spent hours setting up apps etc. Phone is fully up to date. Is the factory reset the best way to get around this type of issue, or are there any specific settings that can be changed? Will fonfix want me to reset the phone before they try to fix it? I'm based in Galway and I see there's a fonfix there. I might try them tomorrow

Advertisement