Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

I'm in the market for a new phone after managing to get over 5 years out of my LG V20.

I had been looking at the POCO M4 Pro after seeing it recommended in an earlier post but after looking at some reviews I'm not sure if it's for me.

Grateful if anyone could recommend something that might be a good alternative (or let me know if that's the best going at the price point). I've a budget of up to about €350/375. Would like for there to be a fairly sizeable battery, an audio jack, NFC, fast charge and a dedicated dual SIM or hybrid slot. Can take or leave 5G. Hoping to get something that is likely to last a few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭budhabob

In a similar request to Keith above. I had my Poco x3 for 2 years, was still going strong until I stupidly managed to put it in the washing machine. Now in the market for a replacement, keeping an eye out for a Poco x4 deal but interested to see if I should be looking out for anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Looking at the poco X4 here off Amazon Germany with the 6gb RAM & 128GB for €291 and the 8gb and 256GB for €332. How much duty and import fees would i face on this or would there be much more of a discount expected in few weeks for Black friday. Seems be very little of them in stock on lot of the websites I see advertising.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B09TKNYXYM?tag=gsmarena0ca-21&linkCode=osi&th=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭jj880

No import fees from inside the EU but lot of people on HotUkDeals saying there will be a big Xiaomi sale on 11th November if you can wait. Not sure of the significance of the date (Google says Singles Day Shopping Holiday in China). I need an X4 Pro myself for my son for Christmas. I'll be looking at Amazon UK for a bargain. Also as Ive said a few times here I prefer to have the UK/Ireland charge block for fast charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭NATLOR

European block charges at the same speed as a UK one you just need an adaptor ( have done many times)

As regards the previous question there is no import duty/ taxes on phones from any European Amazon (or Amazon UK providing Amazon are the seller). The only price change will be the VAT difference between whatever country and Ireland

• Advertisement

I just dont like using an adaptor for phone chargers. Could make no difference at all but I have had issues with overheating plug adaptors in the past. Personal preference I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skyblueflyer

I'm looking for a recommendation for a phone around €150. Is this a good phone / deal . https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/xiaomi/redmi-note-11-pro-5g.html?gallery=payg

it be better to get something on the 11.11 sale?

Thats a good price for that phone. Ships with 6gb or 8gb of RAM. I dont think you will get that model any cheaper in upcoming sales. Chat Extra package for 20 a month looks like best value if you're not a heavy data user.

If i purchase an eir ready to go sim with €10 can i switch across to this

I have no idea. Three mobile required a certain amount of top credit before they would unlock. Reading here it seems like you could use a different sim but hopefully someone else on here can confirm 100%:

TCL, Google Pixel 5, Xiaomi, Redmi and Oppo phones purchased from Vodafone Ireland are already unlocked.

• Advertisement

Plan on using a Vodafone sim in it which i currently have but need a sim and a number from another provider which gives me the discount for switching number across to Vodafone. Interestingly they don't accept switching from Tesco mobile and lyca mobile which may be due to some people picking up Sims there and abusing the system and never using those numbers again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭shmeee

That's exactly what I done, got a eir SIM for €10, walked into Vodafone shop and got the Redmi Note 10 phone for €100 off last year, ended up getting it for I think €100 or so I think. As said above, all Redmis are unlocked. Got one in Three store also, and that was unlocked. Could be wrong but seems only iPhones are locked these days, even Samsung phones I've seen friends get come unlocked.

Ps. Great value for the Redmi Note 11 Pro 5g for €169 + €10 eir SIM. I'd be all over it for that price!

This would suit my mother big time. She would need the Vodafone app to see her usage. Shes currently with Three Ireland. I see you can switch over using a form during checkout. I wonder do Vodafone handle the switch or do you still have to ring Three Ireland and do the whole cancelling nonsense?

Edit: she has to give 30 days notice. Feck it will order anyway and see. Hopefully the chat extra plan is user activated so we can just wait before starting it.

Post edited by jj880 on

I never gave my carrier notice when porting (pending you are out of contract etc). Vodafone will pull the number and three will issue a final bill. Did one recently for someone from Three to GoMo and just got issued a final three bill (for the period 16 days etc) that was it. They were only on a 30 day rolling contract.

Yeah shes out of contract. Great thanks. Got it ordered up. When checking out Vodafone tell you your service will be down for 1 or 2 hours during the switch so sounds like no need to contact Three like you say. They are also throwing in a pair of mi buds. 170 euro is great value for that phone and buds. Great spot by @skyblueflyer

Post edited by jj880 on

Ffs. Got an email today saying order cancelled due to "not meeting the online order criteria". Whats that all about? Ordered using revolut (money taken off card) and moving from a Three contract. Very frustrating as they dont even tell us why it was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Not uncommon for orders to be cancelled by Vodafone. Big thread in bargain alerts. Quite a few people had orders cancelled for no valid reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Looking for a cheap phone under 80 euro for work, just need it for calls, text and WhatsApp.

Any recommendations?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Anyone familiar with Oppo phones, specifically the Find X5, they seem to have really good cameras and 256GB is great value compared to 128GB IPHONE, Samsung or Pixel.

Was nearly ready to pull the trigger on a Pixel 7 then I see these....

• Advertisement

Got online order through on 3rd attempt with an old PAYG Three sim. Thats junior sorted for Christmas. Was looking at some black Friday deals on similar xiaomi phones. Not great. Think that Vodafone offer is about the best value at the moment.

Is the Vodafone offer still going? Thought I had read that it finished Monday 14th but seems be still available on website.

I ordered online yesterday. I wasn't aware that was the last day of the offer. Got my dpd tracking id today so that was lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Zverklez

After 4 years my Xiaomi Pocophone F1 has finally given up. Looking for something in the €300-500 range to replace it, any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Any good deals for Black Friday? My old Mi A1 is starting to show its age, almost 4 years on. Is the Poco x4 pro the best bang for that type of buck? I don't need 5g, (reception here wouldn't cover it anyway) is there any advantage to getting the 5g model if I won't use it, are there advantages in other specs?

Yes, was going to say Tesco; phones will be unlocked also AFAIK. The Redmi's will anyway and they've a Redmi 9AT for €69 or so when you scan Tesco clubcard, spotted one the other day in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Hi

New phone recommendations post!

Budget of about 200-230. Currently have a Realme that's fading. Not too fussy. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I just got an oppo find x5 pro, it's a little heavy but apart from that it's fabulous! Camera is so good!!!

I got it in amazon UK in warehouse deals for a really sweet price, there's also a cashback offer from oppo right now. I just added a UK address and added my irish bank account. Not sure it will come through, still waiting on it to hit my account but may keep ye posted if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

any good deals coming up on xiaomi or other main android branded phones ?

• Advertisement

The Xiaomi Redmi Note 11 Pro 5G 6gb/128gb + redmi buds 3 offer I got a few weeks ago is back in stock on vodafone.ie 170 if you switch from another network. Took me 3 orders to get it online. Finally got it using an old Three PAYG sim.

Advertisement