Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I wouldn't even say they are needed to be avoided either. Download Googlefier App. Although it seems a bit funny to be putting Google software on, when so many are trying to remove it.

Motorola, Asus, Nokia, Sony and obviously Pixel phones all offer stock or very close to stock Android OS. Which imho is far better than any of the Chinese brand OS's. But that is just an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭shmeee

Ordered a Xiaomi Poco M4 Pro 5G from Amazon Germany after a read of a few pages of this thread.

Package was delivered, no phone in the box. Package was ripped open and re-sealed in either Czech Republic or Germany with tape that has German words on such. And phone removed.

Dispute raised now with the seller for refund / replacement item.

When I rang GLS, they said this is common issue lately with items coming from Europe and had a few reports of phone's missing over the last while.

To be fair, both GLS and Seller very helpful so far and prompt in their replies / feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭GBX

That's rough. Hope you get sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Fcukin' hate GLS everything they ever delivered to me or in work was always damaged, something missing, etc etc etc🤬 Nightline were the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Got a notification from Google Photos on my phone there for This Day 4 Years Ago and I couldn't believe it when I looked, it was me testing the camera on my Xiaomi Mi Max 3 phablet after it came in the post, I knew it was getting on a bit but 4 years! The battery still lasts 2 days on it, there isnt a single thing wrong with it, it still looks brand new and everything. What a bargain and still nothing like it on the market tbh, the perfect middle ground between daily use phone and tablet for consuming film/tv/books/comics.

Does anyone still have theirs? A few of us bought them at the time I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Absolutely loved mine, I actually can't remember why I sold it. Would love something similar again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭cullenswood

What's the best value phone that has wireless charging?

Currently on a 2 year old OnePlus Nord that I'd like to upgrade, looking for something of similar size.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Interested in this myself. I have a Poco x3 NFC that's starting to creek, so just starting to look at options but totally out of the loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Am looking to upgrade my poco X3 NFC that was recommended here a couple of years ago. Would this be a good buy for the price or is there a better phone for around €250?

trying to get the specs for the M5 but it isn't on gsmarena.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

Thanks to those recommending the Poxo X4 - managed to order one on mi uk site on a daily deal, coming in at £169, or about €195, this morning.

Having it delivered to OOHPod in Jonesboro (a great service by the way!), so hopefully will be no issues with dispatch, will update when it arrives

edit: site wasn't recognising the OOHPod postcode, so I just put it as the Post Office just beside it in Jonesboro - I'm sure it won't be an issue..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,270 ✭✭✭jj880

Cool. I see they have a location in Strabane. Those Xiaomi UK offers are off the charts. I just missed the 2 x redmi note 10 pro phones for £238 to cover Christmas. Dang it!

EDIT: just to let everyone know who wants to do this. If you use the Xiaomi UK store mobile app (easily available on apkmirror) they give you even more of a discount compared to the website offers.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Covieland

Just heard the price for the new iphone, €1000 for basic and €1300 for the pro, why pay that when you can get a phone that does 95% of everything the iPhone does for less than a quarter of the price, madness

Yeah it's crazy. So many kids running around with iPhones. My son will be getting Xiaomi with a few add-ons (buds etc) this Christmas. He can't wait as he used my X4 pro a few times and loves it. I gave a few of his friends who have iPhones a go on it too. They can't believe it cost 200 euro.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

my wonderful xiaomi 12 was lifted off me on the underground in london 2 weeks ago. i had to get a quick replacement and went for the samsung A52s 5G to tide me over till i get a new xiaomi. Jesus the samsung is a piece of crap for a phone valued at around €550. Hasnt anything close to the capabilities of the xiaomi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Quick question.

Currently have a Mate 20 pro that Ive had since launcg. Starting to show its age a bit now. Been looking at Xiaomi, Poco etc and they seem a little bit too good for their pricing. I do have an upgrade Ive been holding on to but cant justify another 2 year contract on a €1000 + phone.

I did buy some chinese phone before and it killed me using it.

So anyway biggest issue for me is battery life. Mate 20 used to last 2 days- Im getting just about a full day from it now, but in saying that my habits have changed - Im driving a lot more so streaming music,using google maps etc so that probably explains the lower battery life but some days Im lucky to have 10% at 6.00pm.

So what do you people recommend from the likes of Xiaomi, Poco etc. Is the Xiamoi 11t pro decent? Would prefer a decent chipset like the 888 or newer and a decent screen size - 6.5" plus if possible.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

Yeah waiting on these myself. You can set alerts for Xiaomi on HotUKDeals or check the daily pick section yourself on mi.com/uk. If you go to the store section first then go to daily picks you can see upcoming discounts. Great value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Hi , just wondering if anyone has any experience with buying a phone from Amazon warehouse & going for "Open box - like new" ? I'm looking at the Redmi Note 10 Pro , it's £178 as opposed to £238 new. As far as I can tell the warranty is the same. Thanks

I've bought a few items like this, it will be used and returned for whatever reason, sometimes even the packaging is perfect

Damn. Just missed redmi note 11 pro 6/128gb for £64 on HotUKDeals. Feck it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Persume you've to go to NI to collect the phone? No way of getting it delivered to ROI?

These guys offer a forwarding service.

FORWARDING SERVICE THROUGHOUT IRELAND IS AVAILABLE PLEASE CONTACT US TO ARRANGE!

Maybe there are other services like this Im not sure. This is one my mother told me about and says her friends use it regularly for furniture.

Just want to note here Ive never used this service myself. Maybe worth a try forwarding a few cheap orders before ordering phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

Good service, I assume if the package is delivered to ROI, tax , duty etc to be paid ?

Thats a good question. You need to contact them. Where this is located is right on the border. Its possible they may take your package to the post office in Muff, Co. Donegal and post it there avoiding all fees. Its only a few 100 yards from their location.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭shmeee

Over a month later and I get an email saying a full refund will be issued on the matter. Took long enough to hear back!

Now to go on the search for a phone again, I think the Poco M4 Pro may be cursed now so see what else is about.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Whats the 11T Pro like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Currently have a Xiaomi Mi Note 10 Pro. Great phone but it is starting to lose battery life and the camera focus isn't what it used to be (not sure if this is a hardware issue or software).

Anyway, looking for a new phone that can compate to the iPhone 14 Pro from Xiaomi or other reliable Chinese brands.

Any recommendations? Willing to spend 500-600 euro.

Beverly Hills, California

Advertisement