Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 147th Open Championship

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

That's what butch Harmon said on sky anyway

Sure what would butch know!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Great tournament. Worthy winner. Delighted for him.

Rors could have won it easily had his putting been a bit better. Woods return from being a D.U.I. wreck to his Open performance in only 11 months is little short of incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭boccy23

GreeBo wrote: »
    It would rival the Masters for me if they did. The Open is always entertaining, but there is just something about this course that makes it excellent.

Molinari did a Nicklaus on it, sometimes, especially in majors, you dont need to beat everyone else, you just need to not beat yourself.
    Sure someone might pass you out, but never pass them out going backwards.

Super solid golf by Molinari for the last few weeks, look forwards to watching him in the Ryder Cup!

Definitely wouldn't happen. The R&A takes a big hit money wise bringing the Open to Carnoustie. It's a long way from anywhere. Listening to BBCR5 coverage on Thursday and the crowds were very sparse. The R&A couldn't afford this. Needs the Birkdales, St. Andrews and Sandwichs for the money side of things, develop the game etc.

Carnoustie and Turnberry was mentioned as a similar loss leader but the players lover these courses and so they will remain on the rotation but not as often as others.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

boccy23 wrote: »
    Definitely wouldn't happen. The R&A takes a big hit money wise bringing the Open to Carnoustie. It's a long way from anywhere. Listening to BBCR5 coverage on Thursday and the crowds were very sparse. The R&A couldn't afford this. Needs the Birkdales, St. Andrews and Sandwichs for the money side of things, develop the game etc.

Carnoustie and Turnberry was mentioned as a similar loss leader but the players lover these courses and so they will remain on the rotation but not as often as others.

172K, I wouldnt call it sparse but its certainly down on the other stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,242 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

boccy23 wrote: »
    Definitely wouldn't happen. The R&A takes a big hit money wise bringing the Open to Carnoustie.

Same for Portrush next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Same for Portrush next year?

I think there will be big numbers there next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

backspin. wrote: »
    I think there will be big numbers there next year.
    There'll be big queues at the border if Theresa May has her way. ;)

Big queues at Belfast airports and ports if not. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Anyone know when an announcement will be made about the 2022 Open venue?

I'm not sure when it will be announced but I'd imagine it will be Turnberry seeing as it hasn't had it since 2009. The nearest course to it timewise would be Royal St.Georges who staged it in 2011 but seeing as they are getting it again in 2020 it surely has to be Turnberry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

ThunderCat wrote: »
    I'm not sure when it will be announced but I'd imagine it will be Turnberry seeing as it hasn't had it since 2009. The nearest course to it timewise would be Royal St.Georges who staged it in 2011 but seeing as they are getting it again in 2020 it surely has to be Turnberry.

Doubt it will be Turnberry, its been blacklisted as a venue because of Donald Trump and there is half a chance Trump would still be American president by then.

I imagine they won't (and shouldn't go back there) for a good few years after Trump is done in public life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Think I read somewhere that Lytham was favourite to get 2022, or that it would at least be in England anyway. Dunno when its announced though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

it surely has to be Turnberry.

Unlikely to get it again while under the 'T' name.
    (Oops already mentioned above - read the full thread Roadrunner!)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Trump could be a factor in not giving Turnberry the Open in 2022. Their biggest fear would be that he would invite himself as host and cause chaos with all the security. I know that assumes he gets re-elected in 2020 but you have to factor in the worst case scenario.

Turnberry had to wait 15 years after 1994 before they got it again in 2009, I wonder was there a problem with roads or hotels?

On the basis of geographic rotation, they may decide to go back to the Lancashire coast in which case Royal Lytham and St. Annes could get it, they last hosted the event in 2012 so it would be a 10 year gap to 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Aside from the Trump thing Turnberry gets considerably lower crowds than the other Scottish courses on the rotation, even Carnoustie. It's way down the A77 from Glasgow which is a two lane road after Ayr so the location and poor infrastructure seems to keep people away.

I was in Carnoustie on Sunday for the first time and it was fantastic, really wish they would take it there more often. It's not actually as remote as people think, it's just outside Dundee and across the bay from St Andrews with much better access as there is a dual carriageway all the way to the edge of the town and a railway station right next to the course.

I don't really understand why the crowds at St Andrews are so much bigger as Carnoustie is a much better course for spectators also in terms of viewpoints as well as the repeatedly high quality of Opens that have taken place there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Aside from the Trump thing Turnberry gets considerably lower crowds than the other Scottish courses on the rotation, even Carnoustie. It's way down the A77 from Glasgow which is a two lane road after Ayr so the location and poor infrastructure seems to keep people away.

I was in Carnoustie on Sunday for the first time and it was fantastic, really wish they would take it there more often. It's not actually as remote as people think, it's just outside Dundee and across the bay from St Andrews with much better access as there is a dual carriageway all the way to the edge of the town and a railway station right next to the course.

I don't really understand why the crowds at St Andrews are so much bigger as Carnoustie is a much better course for spectators also in terms of viewpoints as well as the repeatedly high quality of Opens that have taken place there.

I suppose in a single word tradition. Its the same reason I think so many people want to go and play St Andrews even though there is much better value, and probably better courses, nearby. The spirit of Old Tom and all that. Also St Andrews has a bustling and very lovely town so people will be enticed by that too.

But essentially I agree with what your saying. I've been to Carnoustie and stayed in a lovely little village called Stonehaven just south of Aberdeen, a relaxing 25-30 minutes on the train and then just walk across the road to the course. It is a great venue in every respect.

As for Turnberry, i've been there too and remember a train ride followed by a bus ride and then a bit of a hike. A bitch to get there, but its a beautiful place too and I think its worth it. Cant be all about filthy lucre all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I suppose in a single word tradition. Its the same reason I think so many people want to go and play St Andrews even though there is much better value, and probably better courses, nearby. The spirit of Old Tom and all that. Also St Andrews has a bustling and very lovely town so people will be enticed by that too.

But essentially I agree with what your saying. I've been to Carnoustie and stayed in a lovely little village called Stonehaven just south of Aberdeen, a relaxing 25-30 minutes on the train and then just walk across the road to the course. It is a great venue in every respect.

As for Turnberry, i've been there too and remember a train ride followed by a bus ride and then a bit of a hike. A bitch to get there, but its a beautiful place too and I think its worth it. Cant be all about filthy lucre all the time.

Just get the ferry from Belfast and you're there in no time

Advertisement