Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 147th Open Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Delighted for him, he's been on fire the last few months roll on the ryder cup.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Molinari looks shattered. I'd say that's taken a lot out of him but he can have a good well earned rest now. I'm not sure he's a huge fan of links golf but you'd hardly have told out there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Delighted for Molinari and finally a European major winner again.

Great final day on a top quality golf course. No funny business like in the us open. It’s all there in front of the players

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Great win. I’m sure all of the players who came 2nd know that they left a couple of shots on the course but that’s the nature of a tough championship

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Three top 6 finishes in six major starts for Schauffele, impressive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

It's doesn't seem all that long ago since Francesco wasn't even the best golfer in his own family.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

That is a long walk o for the gold and silver winners

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Great championship as always, the best in golf. And a worthy winner. Well done Francesco!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Great four days of golf. Now what do we watch?!

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Great championship as always, the best in golf. And a worthy winner. Well done Francesco!

It's great that we get wall to wall coverage hopefully the Americans can learn a thing or two from that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Do they not usually present the Silver Salver or whatever it's called to the runner(s) up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭munster87

munster87 wrote: »
    Molinari or Hatton for me, both in great form. Cink is my outside pick.

At least Molinari did the business. Had been knocking on the door, some great performances in the states recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

fullstop wrote: »
    Do they not usually present the Silver Salver or whatever it's called to the runner(s) up?

Wondering this too, maybe if there's more than 3 runners up they don't bother presenting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

That was a real major. Fantastic course which just wouldn't be tamed regardless of the weather. Molinari was the one who kept his head when all around him all were losiing theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Molinari looks shattered. I'd say that's taken a lot out of him but he can have a good well earned rest now. I'm not sure he's a huge fan of links golf but you'd hardly have told out there today.

I was driving home and listening to BBC 5Live, one of their on the course commentators was saying he had said he couldn't/wouldn't play the Scottish Open as he wouldn't be able to handle the potential of 8 rounds on Links in a fortnight.
    He went off to play an alternative (presumably parkland course instead), funnily enough the same course Zach Johnson played in 2015 before winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Watching the highlights on BBC and when the guy shouts out at the top of Tigers back swing on the 18th tee....

Andrew Cotter :: " Shouting out is one thing, but it takes a special kind of idiot to shout out at the top of someone's backswing."

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Rikand wrote: »
    Watching the highlights on BBC and when the guy shouts out at the top of Tigers back swing on the 18th tee....

Andrew Cotter :: " Shouting out is one thing, but it takes a special kind of idiot to shout out at the top of someone's backswing."

Well said.
    Probably get in trouble for saying that. The PC crowd will be out for him.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I was driving home and listening to BBC 5Live, one of their on the course commentators was saying he had said he couldn't/wouldn't play the Scottish Open as he wouldn't be able to handle the potential of 8 rounds on Links in a fortnight.
    He went off to play an alternative (presumably parkland course instead), funnily enough the same course Zach Johnson played in 2015 before winning.

Yeah, I think part of it too was he felt he had over prepared last year. Not sure did he play Scots Open, but he’d spent a week in Birkdale, getting used to the place and then ended up missing the cut! Wanted to do something a bit different this time and it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Rikand wrote: »

Well said.

anyone know what he actually shouted, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Russman

razorblunt wrote: »

Sky mentioned something that he played the John Deere because everyone on the PGA Tour has to play every tournament at least once every 4 years and he needed to play that event as part of holding his card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

NDWC wrote: »
    They should play the Open at Carnoustie every year

It would rival the Masters for me if they did. The Open is always entertaining, but there is just something about this course that makes it excellent.

Molinari did a Nicklaus on it, sometimes, especially in majors, you dont need to beat everyone else, you just need to not beat yourself.
    Sure someone might pass you out, but never pass them out going backwards.

Super solid golf by Molinari for the last few weeks, look forwards to watching him in the Ryder Cup!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

GreeBo wrote: »
    It would rival the Masters for me if they did. The Open is always entertaining, but there is just something about this course that makes it excellent.

Molinari did a Nicklaus on it, sometimes, especially in majors, you dont need to beat everyone else, you just need to not beat yourself.
    Sure someone might pass you out, but never pass them out going backwards.

Super solid golf by Molinari for the last few weeks, look forwards to watching him in the Ryder Cup!

Not going to happen with all the courses on the rota. I would say it will be 8-10 years before it returns to Carnoustie.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Speith has all the mental attributes necessary. He has proved it before and he won't choke when the pressure increases.
    However, I wouldn't rule out Molinari. He's a man in form and his accuracy could be his major asset if the wind gets up.

Well done sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Russman wrote: »
    Sky mentioned something that he played the John Deere because everyone on the PGA Tour has to play every tournament at least once every 4 years and he needed to play that event as part of holding his card.

Well that’s not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭wildrover444

Seve OB wrote: »
    Well that’s not true.

That's what butch Harmon said on sky anyway

The rule is something like each year you have to play one tournament you haven’t played in either of the previous 4 years. It’s something along those lines anyway. I’m not aware that played a part in Molinaris decision to play the John Deere last week but not 100 per cent on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

Seve OB wrote: »
    Well that’s not true.

he doesn't have to play every tournament once in 4 years but there is a requirement to compete in a tournament that he hasn't played at in 4 years

its also the reason Rose missed wentworth this year

https://www.cleveland.com/golf/index.ssf/2018/07/pga_tour_2018_live_leaderboard_for_john_deere_classic_3rd_round.html

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Chopper83

Really really enjoyed this years open and the course made it, Royal Portrush has a lot to live up to next year and depending on the setup it could be a low one.

Delighted for Molinari, comes across as one of the good guys. Tiger was my pick and looks like he will contend on courses that aren't set up for the bombers which to be fair are few and fair between these days.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Anyone know when an announcement will be made about the 2022 Open venue?

Advertisement