Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balancing house v commute

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Try_harder wrote: »
    Kiliney is on the dart, easy for commuting

I dont think Portabello would be an ideal place to raise young kids, single in your 20's- perfect.

So I vote Kiliney

There is a walk to the Dart station. about 45 minutes on the train and a walk to work from the station. Far from easy. Even if it is easy. it is time consuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

4ensic15 wrote: »
    There is a walk to the Dart station. about 45 minutes on the train and a walk to work from the station. Far from easy. Even if it is easy. it is time consuming.

I'd rather commute by train than by bus.

I commute 100km ew by day and I find it so much easier on the train.

Is Kiliney 45 mins on the dart? Wow, didnt know that! says 30-34 mins on the time table.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,870 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

45 minutes to where ? Dalkey station to grand canal is 25 minutes for example

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Cyrus wrote: »
    45 minutes to where ? Dalkey station to grand canal is 25 minutes for example

That is a myth. Wait for the train to come, get out through the crowds in the city centre. There are always delays. There is no way it is 25 mins from Dalkey to Grand Canal. There are 11 stations from Dalkey to Grand canal. At peak times there will be a 2 minute stop at each station. That is 22 minutes just stopped alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

my average commute time is 7 min walk 58 min train 7 min walk :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I was just responding to the poster who was positing kids needing to be ferried round by car ALL the time as a positive. I can't see how it is a benefit of anything.

And my point was that it’s not negative either. For rural children, being ferried around pretty much all the time is reality. That’s a lot of children in this country. You seem incredulous that a quite commonplace thing happens at all. And mentioning that it could lead to greater levels of obesity is spurious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Of course being ferried around is a negative, whether commonplace or not. It’s a waste of time, resources and bad for the environment to boot.

OP, we have done both... the forever home is the one we are in now. Smaller commute, in the city.

You only get one life. Spend it with your family, not stuck in the car. You don’t get the time back again.

That is a myth. Wait for the train to come, get out through the crowds in the city centre. There are always delays. There is no way it is 25 mins from Dalkey to Grand Canal. There are 11 stations from Dalkey to Grand canal. At peak times there will be a 2 minute stop at each station. That is 22 minutes just stopped alone.

I must be imagining it then I only take that exact journey twice a day :D

just to prove the point i timed it today, got on the train at 8.05 in Dalkey and was in Ballsbridge 24 minutes later, its another 2 minutes to GCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

_Dara_ wrote: »
    And my point was that it’s not negative either. For rural children, being ferried around pretty much all the time is reality. That’s a lot of children in this country. You seem incredulous that a quite commonplace thing happens at all. And mentioning that it could lead to greater levels of obesity is spurious.

You actually, truly believe children been ferried everywhere in cars instead of walking, running, biking, skating etc… everywhere has nothing to do with our childhood obesity problem?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    You actually, truly believe children been ferried everywhere in cars instead of walking, running, biking, skating etc… everywhere has nothing to do with our childhood obesity problem?

Yes, truly. That was my childhood. Around the environs of the home was where most of our exercising and physical activity happened. There was actually more space. Being brought from A to B had little impact. And crucially, you have much less access to junk food if you have to be driven places to get it. I was a slip of a thing. And that was the norm. Childhood obesity is on the rise but children being ferried around in rural areas goes way back. Nobody even walked to school. But exercise happened at the school. This is not the reason for the rise in obesity. And in a country with still quite a large rural population, I’m actually surprised that some people can’t fathom the idea of children being driven everywhere. This happens and is nothing new.

I’m also a big believer that diet has a much bigger impact on obesity than exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

....... wrote: »

Same here, if you couldn't make it under your own power, you simply did not go. I was lucky that I had a few friends within a 15minute cycle but I had others who rarely got out bar for football training.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I moved out of Portobello when my kid was just over a year old. I loved that part of town and had lived there for about 13 years before moving. Space was definitely an issue, and so was the lack of a garden as when we got some good weather, you couldn't chill out at home, you had to trek out to the park. It was grand for a while but now with a near 2 year old, she's so active and moving all the time, our old apartment would not cut it anymore. She spends so much time outside in the garden and loves it. I miss Portobello but the move was definitely better for the little one (this is of course my experience, while others do great at having their kids in the city).

We are temporarily living out in North Co. Dublin where the train is a 40 minute trip, which sounds fine but from door to door, it can be 70-90 minutes.

Long term, I am renovating a place within 10km of the city centre and I can't wait to move closer to work and the city. The town I'm in now is lovely but I really only get about 10 minutes in the morning and the same again in the evening with my daughter which is rubbish. I try to leave work as early as possible to get home but it's not great tbh, it's the worst balance (for me) between work and family life as both can suffer.

I really doubt that. I was that rural child 25 years ago. Being ferried everywhere was the norm. Nobody walked or cycled to school. And I’m not exaggerating there. The distances to walk were too far or along narrow roads with no footpaths. Urban children walked and cycled to school much more. It was actually safer. And you’re right, if a lift wasn’t available, you didn’t go anywhere. And yet the fat kid in the class was only a bit chubby.

I hated the restrictions too because of the lack of freedom. But I can’t reconcile being driven everywhere with the rise in childhood obesity based on my own experiences. Once on location somewhere whether at home or at friends, there was plenty of room for physical exercise.

It’s clear from your posts that you haven’t lived this life yourself and you’re going on second-hand information. And I doubt you spent much time discussing this with your rural-raised college friends. So yeah, I’m going to go with my own extensive experience.

I grew up in a working-to-middle class rural area. 25 years ago, every house had one car at the very least. Again, no exaggeration. It would have been a rarity and seen as very odd for a household to not have a car. And this was a fairly poor area in one if the most deprived counties in the country.

we appear to have gone off on quite the tangent folks, again remembering that this is someone comparing (as an example) killiney and portobello

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cyrus wrote: »
    we appear to have gone off on quite the tangent folks, again remembering that this is someone comparing (as an example) killiney and portobello

Yeah this thread is off the wall with the responses. We're talking about suburbia here, and a well connected suburb at that. Travelling by public transport you'll be in the city centre in under an hour just about. Killiney is well served as far as shops and things to do anyway, so outside of work you might not be going to town at all.

Yeah this thread is off the wall with the responses. We're talking about suburbia here, and a well connected suburb at that. Travelling by public transport you'll be in the city centre in under an hour just about. Killiney is well served as far as shops and things to do anyway, so outside of work you might not be going to town at all.

yes and given the development in blackrock and stillorgan there will be even less reason to go into town.

its a 30minute dart to pearse so commute will depend on how close to the station you are either side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

Yeah this thread is off the wall with the responses. We're talking about suburbia here, and a well connected suburb at that...

+1

The OP must be pulling their hair out, first of all the thread gets derailed all the way to the Cycling forum, and has now gone down the road of folk banging on about childhood obesity and ferrying kids around in rural areas :confused:

OP, to elaborate a little on my earlier post, I would certainly be in the camp of those who believe that more space is better. A poster made a valid point that there is a 'bare minimum' when it comes to what you can live in comfortably, but finding your own threshold for that bare minimum is key. I certainly agree with the opinion that having an 'extra' room can be a huge advantage, be it for a playroom, office, hobby room, etc.

Having 'some' type of a garden is also something that I would not go without, even if just adequate for a kid to kick a ball or run around a bit.

Advertisement