Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dating Foreigners

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

I was wondering are we going to see heaps of divorced Irish men in the next few years once their Brazilian etc wives have secured EU citizenship? At any rate I'm sure there will be plenty of smart African males to marry the idiot Irish women so that they'll secure EU citizenship/a better standard of living, just as there are evidently plenty of smart Brazilian women who will marry idiot Irish men so that they'll secure EU citizenship/ a better standard of living.

only one thing for it. Ban straight marriage. And gay marriage. And immigration. And emigration.

4 things for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I went out with a Finn, a Dane, a Russian and a German but ended up with a man from Westmeath. I'm part-Italian myself, so I have a little of the foreign drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Klonker wrote: »
    A lot of guys who say they prefer foreign girls because they are less picky, it's because the are weird or awkward but the foreign women don't/can't pick up on this.

Also a lot of it is looks. There is nothing wrong with that, just admit it. Like I find a lot of Irish women very attractive but I just don't get allure towards them as I do most foreigners, I honestly think the tan has a lot to do for me personally.

In the case of Irish women with foreigners, it's a stature thing, they think they'll be looked down for dating a foreigner who's not from one of the richer countries (USA, Canada, England, France etc.)

So summary, men are shallow for looks, women for stature :D

I don’t think I agree with that last part. My ex was from Algeria and I’d have had a better job than him, better money etc. if anything I was going out with him because he was an absolute babe. It’s horses for courses. Honestly neither of us gave it any thought, we just fancied the arses off each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

from my group of friends, all bar 2 are married or going out with Irish woman - myself (she is eastern european) and one more who is going out with a German girl.

at the moment, i dont know many people who are with foreigners apart from me and him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Yeah, all very well being with a foreigner, but what happens when they decide they're homesick and want to move back home to be near family, etc, or worse, you have children and the relationship breaks down and she wants to move home and brings the kids. Happened to a friend of mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Yeah, all very well being with a foreigner, but what happens when they decide they're homesick and want to move back home to be near family, etc, or worse, you have children and the relationship breaks down and she wants to move home and brings to kids. Happened to a friend of mine

It's happening me now. I don't necessarily want to stay in Ireland anyway, and had always fancied a change again, so am very open to it, but it's still a huge decision, especially when you are older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Yeah, all very well being with a foreigner, but what happens when they decide they're homesick and want to move back home to be near family, etc, or worse, you have children and the relationship breaks down and she wants to move home and brings to kids. Happened to a friend of mine

I suppose the same thing that happens when one of the Irish partners decides they can't stand it here any more and want to emigrate to Australia, for the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I tried the whole foreign gf thing (in the early days when it was fashionable) but still eventually married an Irish girl..... the foreign girls (and lads for that matter) will just never fully get the Irish culture, sense of humour etc.
    They just don't cut it to be brutally honest.

Also, and this is purely my generalised opinion based on my personal observations, any Irish lads who I've met/known who establish a long term relationship with a foreign girl seem to be lacking in "something" socially-speaking...... I'm not saying they couldn't get an Irish girl long term but.......

Totally. A lot of the more "strange" guys I went to school with, who could never get with anyone back then, are now going out with foreign women.

One of the other posters expains it best - foreign women usually cannot spot as well an Irish man's weirdness or bull****, so the men can get away with more things

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

juanjo wrote: »
    Spanish bloke here with an irish girl. We exist!

Username checks out

Irish women expect men to participate in the running of the household and family life?! The horror! No wonder they are all running off with foreign women who only ask that they earn a paycheck!

Many Irish couples I know expect 50/50 or more at home even though the man works a demanding job and she's a full time mum. **** that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

That's a danger alright

One friend of mine married an Eastern European

They went home for a visit to the parents with the 3 kids

My friend thought everything was ok in the relationship but the partner never came back and the kids are over there full time now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 lukasgrenwald

Interesting how there seems to be a line between being open to dating a foreigner and seriously considering them for marriage material.

My theory is the average Irish guy is not very attractive to the average Irish girl. Then when average Spanish or Brazilian women arrive here they automatically add about 2 points on the attractiveness scale to their attractiveness to Irish men over their attractiveness to their own men, and also the Irish guy gains 2 points from their perspective too as they are exotic, probably taller than most Spanish or Brazilan men, and probably better off too.

The theory about Irish men having more confidence as a self fulfilling prophecy I don't buy that at all. I've had nights out minding my own business, one night wearing an aran jumper (a French girl was all over me) and I've had foreign women approach me on nights out, actively chat me up, one even bought ME a drink - and refused when I offered to buy her one back! That would NEVER happen with an Irish girl. EVER. On each occasion I made no effort to chat up any of them. Disclaimer: I'm long married, so was laughing internally at all this ...

On each occasion there were plenty of Irish women there too so somehow they didn't find my new found imaginary confidence more attractive .... on the one occasion an Irish girl spoke to me it was to say "do you wanna sit on my lap altogether you wanker" because it was a crowded bar and apparently she was sitting at a table behind me, I had my back to her and I hadn't seen her. Maybe that's the famed "Irish wit" that previous posters were referring to.

Totally. A lot of the more "strange" guys I went to school with, who could never get with anyone back then, are now going out with foreign women.

One of the other posters expains it best - foreign women usually cannot spot as well an Irish man's weirdness or bull****, so the men can get away with more things

Yes, being "weird" or strange compared with the standard Irish culture doesn't have to be a "bad" thing.

I'm strange. I'm strange because I don't like getting drunk, and getting into fights. I don't enjoy GAA or sports in general. I'm strange because I didn't want to spend hours in a gym building muscles. I'm strange because I didn't want to settle down in my hometown and marry a local before I was 26. None of those things are really weird in the rest of the world, but they were definitely weird in my hometown while I was growing up.

The fact is that foreign women often don't recognise these things as being weird and that's a good thing.

I'd also point out that I have received far less negative attention about my shaking disorder from foreigners than I do from Irish people. It bears out in dating too. That being different by having something like a shaking disorder matters far more here... whereas with foreign women it rarely becomes an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

That's why I emigrated:-p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

I've had tinder for years and rarely get a match never mind meeting someone for a meal / drinks.

I went abroad recently for a few weeks and got loads of quality matches and actually went on a date! Couldn't believe it.

I may have to emigrate so as not to die a bachelor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

seachto7 wrote: »
    That’s a rubbish statement. I’ve been with plenty of foreign women who had no problem paying half and plenty of Irish women who expected not to pay / didn’t pay half.

Can vary greatly depending where they're from. In my twenties I dated a few foreign girls. No problem splitting bills or taking turns paying with the German, Austrian, French or Italian girls I dated but it was totally different with a Russian girl I went out with. Never put her hand in her pocket, very different culture to Western Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Can vary greatly depending where they're from. In my twenties I dated a few foreign girls. No problem splitting bills or taking turns paying with the German, Austrian, French or Italian girls I dated but it was totally different with a Russian girl I went out with. Never put her hand in her pocket, very different culture to Western Europe.

I don't think one Russian girl represent a whole culture .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Foreigners suck!

I'd know, I am one of them. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

from my group of friends, all bar 2 are married or going out with Irish woman - myself (she is eastern european) and one more who is going out with a German girl.

at the moment, i dont know many people who are with foreigners apart from me and him!

There seemed to be more mixed nationality couples ten years ago. That makes sense though because people did begin to leave Ireland once the recession bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Yeah, all very well being with a foreigner, but what happens when they decide they're homesick and want to move back home to be near family, etc, or worse, you have children and the relationship breaks down and she wants to move home and brings the kids. Happened to a friend of mine

Happened to a couple I knew too. They were married with kids. They moved over to Ireland after living in her country. She couldn't settle here, he couldn't face leaving Ireland again. End of marriage.

Some people are happy to live abroad when they're young and moving around. The importance of home and having family around can become a very big pull factor later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Dated Irish and English women whose purses were do tight they needed WD-40 to open them.

My wife is Slovak. 6'2 and Amazonian!

Well I was only talking about my own experience.

Your wife sounds like Xena the warrior princess, lucky you.;)

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I don't think one Russian girl represent a whole culture .

True, but if you read up on the culture, it's still a very male dominated culture where the male brings in the money, and the women do the housework or simply look beautiful. For my own part, from spending time in Moscow, I've experienced a mixture of both, although the women who spent money with me tended to be from a wealthier background.

TBH though I don't see any real problem with paying for dates out, especially if I'm the one doing the inviting. It's different once I'm in a relationship, then I kinda expect it to even out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

seachto7 wrote: »
    That’s a rubbish statement. I’ve been with plenty of foreign women who had no problem paying half and plenty of Irish women who expected not to pay / didn’t pay half.

Good for you, I was just talking about my own experience which you know nothing about unless you were the invisible third man sitting beside us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

True, but if you read up on the culture, it's still a very male dominated culture where the male brings in the money, and the women do the housework or simply look beautiful. For my own part, from spending time in Moscow, I've experienced a mixture of both, although the women who spent money with me tended to be from a wealthier background.

TBH though I don't see any real problem with paying for dates out, especially if I'm the one doing the inviting. It's different once I'm in a relationship, then I kinda expect it to even out.

I have several Russian coworkers who are also married to Russians, and I have observed the opposite. The wives all work at professional jobs, insist on household chores being split (including taking children for medical and dental appointments), create and run the budget and generally seem to be the head of the household.

I can only wish I had the level of control over my husband that they seem to have over theirs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Jaysus - Irish girls are getting a fairly bad rap.

I have noticed that, a good few men in relationships with Irish women are fairly controlled.
    They seem happy on the face of it.

Theses men tend to work long hours - then at weekend have kid duties - need to cook the dinner - even if they are the primary income and have worked hard all week . If they said something like - I'm going off to watch a match or go to the pub - it would be guilt or no way.

There is a good chance that girls from different countries - less developed - less educated , have lower expectations and demands of their men.

If he is going out - providing a good living - food - car - nice life.

He certainly is off to a good start. That would hardly get you a hello in a night club in Ireland from an Irish girl.

I'm just going out to meet the lads - that ok love. Brazilian girl.
    "No bother - come back and ride me when your finished."

Not - "have you done the washing, after a 10 hour day at work."

Then why do these lads go out these (Irish ) women in the first place? They have nobody to blame but themselves if they picked the wrong woman to start with!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

_Dara_ wrote: »
    There seemed to be more mixed nationality couples ten years ago. That makes sense though because people did begin to leave Ireland once the recession bit.

Same stories with my cousins and were married to australian women and as soon as all the kids were born She wanted to move home back to Australia. Guess what the outcome was? They all had to move to Australia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Dating a south East Asian a year now. Exotic beauty nurse.

Have zero interest in Irish women at all. Never have, never will. I think on average, most of them are ugly but act like they're 8/10 in looks. Whereas a 8/10 foreigner doesn't go around thinking she's a model.

Go foreign, lads. You won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Dating a south East Asian a year now. Exotic beauty nurse.

Have zero interest in Irish women at all. Never have, never will. I think on average, most of them are ugly but act like they're 8/10 in looks. Whereas a 8/10 foreigner doesn't go around thinking she's a model.

Go foreign, lads. You won't regret it.

Good for you but going out of your way to get with a foreigner is weird imo. I can see what you mean about Irish girls though, they do give off a sense of superiority, especially in early 20's, even the nice ones.

But remember the foreigners here you meet, it's different than them being back home. When you are in a foreign country you are naturally more vulnerable and probably nicer as a result. Communicating in a foreign language by its nature is vulnerable so it's no surprise foreigners in Ireland are perceived as being friendlier and more approachable.

Do these guys advertising to 'go foreign' really think they wouldn't encounter looks of disgust in cities like Paris and Madrid. The thought of some boards.ie neckbeard approaching some french bombshell along the Champs elysees and believing she will be receptive to his advance because she isn't an Irish women is hilarious.

shakeitoff wrote: »
    Good for you but going out of your way to get with a foreigner is weird imo. I can see what you mean about Irish girls though, they do give off a sense of superiority, especially in early 20's, even the nice ones.

But remember the foreigners here you meet, it's different than them being back home. When you are in a foreign country you are naturally more vulnerable and probably nicer as a result. Communicating in a foreign language by its nature is vulnerable so it's no surprise foreigners in Ireland are perceived as being friendlier and more approachable.

Do these guys advertising to 'go foreign' really think they wouldn't encounter looks of disgust in cities like Paris and Madrid. The thought of some boards.ie neckbeard approaching some french bombshell along the Champs elysees and believing she will be receptive to his advance because she isn't an Irish women is hilarious.

I didn't go out of my way. I'm just not sexually attracted or mentally attracted to Irish girls so they're just not a viable option. Every 2nd person on online dating and in bars in a foreigner anyways.

I've been to her country last year with her and it was grand. No real cultural differences apart from her being stupidly religious and me being an Atheist.

I'm not sure if I agree with some posters sharing foreigners love Irish men. I think we're a very unattractive people compared to most of Europe but our good humour and friendliness goes a long way.

I didn't go out of my way. I'm just not sexually attracted or mentally attracted to Irish girls so they're just not a viable option. Every 2nd person on online dating and in bars in a foreigner anyways.

I've been to her country last year with her and it was grand. No real cultural differences apart from her being stupidly religious and me being an Atheist.

I'm not sure if I agree with some posters sharing foreigners love Irish men. I think we're a very unattractive people compared to most of Europe but our good humour and friendliness goes a long way.

SHOCK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

My former bf was Australian, have been with a good few different nationalities, doesn't bother me

SHOCK

Why? It's not an issue. Just I can't be arsed going to church with her. Neither of us really care much

I'm joking but you know the whole neckbeard atheist image, they're the type who I always imagine harping on about hating the women of whatever their nationality they happen to be.

I disagree btw, I think Irish men are decent looking, depends where you go. In Dublin, out of all my friends and extended friends, I'd consider a lot of them attractive or decent looking guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Similar to what i picked up on in Lithuania this past week, at least in the group i was in. Although i don't think it's a sweep, there does seem to be a case for it being the norm, especially in the older generation, although there were some (a significant number) women of a similar age to myself (mid 30's) who definitely don't work aside from home keeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I'm joking but you know the whole neckbeard atheist image, they're the type who I always imagine harping on about hating the women of whatever their nationality they happen to be.

I disagree btw, I think Irish men are decent looking, depends where you go. In Dublin, out of all my friends and extended friends, I'd consider a lot of them attractive or decent looking guys.

Anyone who says Irish men are unattractive (and that Irish women are "ugly" on average) is clearly projecting their own low self image and low self esteem onto others

• Advertisement

Na I don't hate Irish women. I was kinda harsh saying most are ugly. Sometimes I do miss the Irish banter and see it going back and forth between my brother's and their Irish girlfriend's.

But my gf is very westernised/Americanised so she more or less just looks exotic while dating basically an American personality wise. I however don't think I could date an eastern European as I wouldn't get on with them IMO.

Anyone who says Irish men are unattractive (and that Irish women are "ugly" on average) is clearly projecting their own low self image and low self esteem onto others

You're incorrect in my case. I don't have a low self esteem. I simply just don't find Irish women attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Well I’m Welsh and my wife Irish .

We have 2 boys and god dam they are going to be great rugby players.... they have to be ....

Update.... just to clarify.... they were born in Ireland so will wear green .

You're incorrect in my case. I don't have a low self esteem. I simply just don't find Irish women attractive.

Well, when you describe them as ugly on average and being too confident for your liking, it comes across that way, just saying.

What's an exotic beauty nurse, by the way?

Well, when you describe them as ugly on average and being too confident for your liking, it comes across that way, just saying.

What's an exotic beauty nurse, by the way?

In a later post, I mentioned being harsh using the word ugly. But there's no doubt about it, Irish women(and men) on average compared to most other countries look less attractive. And it's no secret that Irish men love seeing a Latina or Eastern European on the street. They're usually gorgeous.

In a later post, I mentioned being harsh using the word ugly. But there's no doubt about it, Irish women(and men) on average compared to most other countries look less attractive. And it's no secret that Irish men love seeing a Latina or Eastern European on the street. They're usually gorgeous.

You do realise it works the other way too, right? I know foreign guys (e.g. Italian) who go absolutely nuts for Irish women and their pale skin. I'm pretty sure someone else mentioned something similar on the thread.

In California in the town I stayed in, the American boyos loved the Irish girls.

In California in the town I stayed in, the American boyos loved the Irish girls.

It only seems to be certain Irish people who write off the entire population of Irish girls as unattractive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Are you saying that you never were attracted to any Irish women ever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Pelvis wrote: »
    Gotta say I'd need to give a lot of thought before getting seriously involved with someone from a far away land.

I'm sure it's great for you and your mates OP, what happens however when one of these ladies gets pregnant and and yearns for family support/gets homesick and is determined to move back home. Great if you're happy to go with her, otherwise...

There was a thread in Personal Issues recently with someone going through that very same thing. Nightmare scenario imo.

If things go pear shape and there are kids involved the maternal instinct is to go home to mammy. If not married it’s essential for males to become a guardian of new born. If you don’t you have the rights of a sperm donor = virtually 0. The mom is automatically a guardian but the males are not. Even if you are on the birth cert as dad you are not a guardian unless all paper work is done by a solicitor and the mom signs off. The mom can’t be made to, so do it while you are still on good terms.

Fordin wimmins are very attractive for sure but it’s a mess on separation particularly if you are not a guardian of your kids !

Advertisement