Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the Isle of Man become part of Ireland?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Manx people are all inbred weirdos and we already have Dingle.

And what's worse, Donegal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Boris Johnson and Arlene Foster have both supported the notion of a bridge as recently as 2 weeks ago. Both the Mull of Kintyre route and the Larne - Portpatrick route (which would traverse the Beaufort's Dyke) are under consideration. Guess we'll see.

Price tag estimated to be £15 Billion GBP

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    I think the following peoples should be given the option of joining us: -

[...]
    4. The Outer Hebrides.
    [...]

Importing a bunch of Gaelic-speaking Presbyterian fundamentalists would certainly confuse the pain of some of our existing language/religious/culture wars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

JayZeus wrote: »
    If they hardball, we’ll add in Monaghan, Cavan and most of North Dublin.

Are ye trying to scare them away!

JayZeus wrote: »
    we’ll even give them Cork back

I assume this is punishment for bad behaviour. Only I'm not sure whose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Boris Johnson and Arlene Foster have both supported the notion of a bridge as recently as 2 weeks ago. Both the Mull of Kintyre route and the Larne - Portpatrick route (which would traverse the Beaufort's Dyke) are under consideration. Guess we'll see.

GDP/Population wise I think that pari passu the UK would be paying 13-14 Billion of that. Not a bad idea. We'd be happy to chip in our own little bit.

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    I think the following peoples should be given the option of joining us: -

[...]
    9. Indonesia.

We can finally get started on the Wexford - Surabaya tunnel :D

The Larne route is surely a lot saner. (If only on the scale of full-blown neurosis to danger to self and others.) 50% shorter road route to get to Glasgow, also provides similar access to Cumbria. (Not sure why anyone'd want access to Cumbria, but still.)

Go the other way, and to make it remotely practical you'd have to "knock through" a heck of a lot to get access to populated areas, in particular to avoid driving around Loch Fyne. At that stage, you're better just waiting for Elongated Muskrat to come along with a giant TBM and build a direct Belfast-Glasgow hyperloop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭LeBash

bear1 wrote: »
    In what reality would this ever happen? What benefit would this bring to the island/s?

He said it in the OP, a tax haven

LeBash wrote: »
    He said it in the OP, a tax haven

But that's just legislative fiat. Could make the same arrangements in, oh, let's say completely at "random", North Tipp (as was).

• Advertisement

alaimacerc wrote: »
    The Larne route is surely a lot saner.

Agreed, but it is the most technically difficult and would require immense construction costs and probably the development of new technology due to the depth of the water and the million tons of WW2 era ordnance still in the trench.

The Kintyre route is technically feasible and the bridge section shorter but the route is too out of the way to make it competitive, it would also require infrastructure developments on the (fairly remote) Scottish side that would probably double the overall project cost

• Site Banned Posts: 37 Jeff Devoy

I actually would be in support of the Isle of Man becoming part of a united Ireland.

It's so irrelevant that I don't think most people would mind (it only has a population of around about 80,000), plus it could be quite beneficial to the Irish economy with the TT Races and the tourism generated by that.

It would obviously cease to be a tax haven, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,659 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Jeff Devoy wrote: »
    I actually would be in support of the Isle of Man becoming part of a united Ireland.

It's so irrelevant that I don't think most people would mind (it only has a population of around about 80,000), plus it could be quite beneficial to the Irish economy with the TT Races and the tourism generated by that.

It would obviously cease to be a tax haven, though.

Of course, nobody would mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Would we have to rename it to appease Louise O’Neill?

(Brock from Pokèmon voice)
    "Don't mention that name!!'

Has anybody asked the Manx?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Has anybody asked the Manx?

Course not, it's assumed that they will be delighted with the idea :D

(same as the million unionists in NI with the unification fantasy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

A bridge to Scotland... Someone let me in on the joke?

As an aside, I can't remember where exactly but I read they're planning/building floating bridges over deep water now. Much like some oil rigs I expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

The isle of man can ask my big fat hairy ....................................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

currant wrote: »
    I think that both Rockall and the IOM should become part of a united Ireland.

badtoro wrote: »
    As an aside, I can't remember where exactly but I read they're planning/building floating bridges over deep water now. Much like some oil rigs I expect.

Bjørna Fjord?

• Advertisement
Advertisement