Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the Isle of Man become part of Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Have we any ties to the Manx? Bar Manannan McLir?

Well.. the Manx language, Scots Gaelic and Irish are part of the same branch of Celtic languages called Goidelic Celtic. The 2nd branch of Celtic language, called Brythonic Celtic form the Welsh, Cornish, Breton and the extinct Cumbric and Pictish languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So,

Are we going to ask them or just invade?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Just think of all the hassle the rich and famous would have to go through to move all their dealings off that island

Taytoland wrote: »
    No, it belongs to the crown.

Enjoy this "Crown" nonsense while it lasts. Assuming that all the Britannia Rules the Waves crowd believe the IofM being in the EU would be another EU conspiracy, I think this is a great idea.

Keep them coming.

While you're here, I also think we should get Brexiters to swear an Oath of Allegiance to the EU, and we should also insist that the the EU holds on to at least three British ports. The very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Christ there's a lot of Idi Amin type characters popping up in Ireland lately with their big notions and delusions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Manx people are all inbred weirdos and we already have Dingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Manx people are all inbred weirdos and we already have Dingle.

Would we get away with trading Leitrim for the Isle of Man ?
    The six up north could become seven and we've have a nice holiday island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

archer22 wrote: »
    Christ there's a lot of Idi Amin type characters popping up in Ireland lately with their big notions and delusions!

Last Lord of the isles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Loving the use of “the celts”. As group it’s pretty much complete bollox. It’s just an excuse for every kind of political bull**** you want, having little (or no) basis in either material or linguistic morphology. Whether that is Edward lhyud, the Romans and the Gauls or Hitler. Even the EU used the notion of the Celts (pointing to bronze trade)as one of the earliest examples for historical precedent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

With the what now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The Irle of man

• Registered Users Posts: 7,556 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Loving the use of “the celts”. As group it’s pretty much complete bollox. It’s just an excuse for every kind of political bull**** you want, having little (or no) basis in either material or linguistic morphology. Whether that is Edward lhyud, the Romans and the Gauls or Hitler. Even the EU used the notion of the Celts (pointing to bronze trade)as one of the earliest examples for historical precedent.

We are all decscendants of China men

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    We are all decscendants of China men

Great bunch of lads.

The only island worth grabbing now is Greenland..with the ice cap retreating that's going to be one hell of a piece of valuable real estate yet.

archer22 wrote: »
    The only island worth grabbing now is Greenland..with the ice cap retreating that's going to be one hell of a piece of valuable real estate yet.

Not as good as Golden Island in Athlone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Would we have to rename it to appease Louise O’Neill?

Yes. Isle of C@nt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

No, it belongs to the crown.

Enjoy this "Crown" nonsense while it lasts. Assuming that all the Britannia Rules the Waves crowd believe the IofM being in the EU would be another EU conspiracy, I think this is a great idea.

Keep them coming.

While you're here, I also think we should get Brexiters to swear an Oath of Allegiance to the EU, and we should also insist that the the EU holds on to at least three British ports. The very least.

I've said it before and I'll say the same again, the EU can go to hell. Certainly won't be seeing me supporting the EU or it's flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Alice1

Tell iz more 'bout Fionn McCool - I like him. I didn't know the Manx didn't like us. I was only there once and they seemed very

Dr. Turk you are sooo right... an' Germany should be called Gerpersony too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Bee Gees are from the Isle of Man? Learn something new every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've said it before and I'll say the same again, the EU can go to hell. Certainly won't be seeing me supporting the EU or it's flag.

Ye and yer unhealthy obsession with flegs...

Doesn't serve any good whatever

• Advertisement

Why? Your UK state only exists in its current form since 6 December 1922, and the Orange Order were steadfast against the Act of Union in 1800, wanting to keep their national parliament in Dublin. Not sure if you're taught such things, though. So, why are you suddenly getting attached to the current UK state as if it's a non-negotiable permanent fixture?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Seems like a nice place but imagine it's boring as **** there and is like living in a medium sized county town

We should try and take the Faroe Islands too. Seems like a cool place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

The Isle of Man shouldn't be part of Ireland but I would welcome it into a Celtic League that would include an independent Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Cornwall and Brittany.

My thoughts exactly. Don't forget Galicia either. Besides that it's much easier to get to Douglas to deposit cash in a bank with no questions asked than it is to let's say Andorra or San Marino.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

How are we going to take over the IOM? Hold a referendum like they did in Crimea?

The IOM is a lovely place. Spent 2 weeks there and still only got to see half the Island.

And why would a country that has been independent for over 1000 years, want to become part of a union?

prinzeugen wrote: »
    How are we going to take over the IOM? Hold a referendum like they did in Crimea?

The IOM is a lovely place. Spent 2 weeks there and still only got to see half the Island.

And why would a country that has been independent for over 1000 years, want to become part of a union?

That's a good question nobody has thought about that...Doh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

I know a few manx people through the manx language, they are really nice people and think highly of Ireland.

Back in the day Dev sent a team to the island to record Manx to preserve the language. Those recordings are amongst the only recordings of Manx being spoken by a native speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I’m sure the EU is devestated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Well.. the Manx language, Scots Gaelic and Irish are part of the same branch of Celtic languages called Goidelic Celtic. The 2nd branch of Celtic language, called Brythonic Celtic form the Welsh, Cornish, Breton and the extinct Cumbric and Pictish languages.

Don’t forget Ulster Scots :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There was a proposal a few years back to include an Isle of Man team in the League of Ireland. I don't know how much traction it got but there was talk of it to some degree. Here's something on it.

http://www.the42.ie/isle-of-man-team-irish-connections-2780732-May2016/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Who would willingly be dragged into Brussels rule?

In their right minds I mean. Clearly the Irish were not. The Irish will do anything you tell them to do if there is a sufficient blanket opinion given through the mainstream media and by the establishment for a few months in advance.

Advertisement