Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Henryhill2 wrote: »
    Don't agree with that

He's already carrying that baggage ,raising the issue wont change much.

Unlikely it will be raised by anyone except SF imo if at all

The issue being raised will reinforce the views of ppl who were anti Gallagher last time and also

It will bring it back to the attention of the many many voters who tune out from politics most of the time.

He hasn’t a hope unless there’s a huge scandal involving the incumbent which I think is unlikely.

And even then, other candidates like freeman and Duffy have less baggage than Gallagher.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,016 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

pixelburp wrote: »
    I find myself looping back to the line of thinking that this election is a colossal waste of time and money.

I'd say Gerard Craughwell is receiving a few angry emails asking why he insisted on putting us all through this charade...

Henryhill2 wrote: »
    The media and spin is Duffy's game so he will be clever about it if he's assisting Gallagher in any way.

I'm not following the financial side of things but I assume the likes of Duffy and Gallagher are not throwing their own money away here?

Duffy reportedly has financed his campaign by remortgaging his house :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Wasn't his house.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/duffy-changes-tack-over-presidential-bid-mortgage-bvfc7q7br

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

Why I wonder,what's in it for him?

He has only a slim chance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

Reading the IT article it looks like Duffy is the usual sort of bluffer you get in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I'd say Gerard Craughwell is receiving a few angry emails asking why he insisted on putting us all through this charade...
    its nothing to do with craughwell, the thing that forced the election was the various candidates who wrote to and went to the councils and got 4 nominations

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

batgoat wrote: »
    Trying to undermine the nomination process, telling untruths to elected representatives ?
    Presidential hopeful Gavin Duffy is not remortgaging his family home to fund his campaign, contrary to what he told members of Meath county council last month.

Trying to undermine the nomination process, telling untruths to elected representatives ?

So that’s another slip up by him

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Don't see it posted already, but Liadh Ní Riada has been confirmed as SFs candidate. ..

So it's Higgins to lose really...

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    Ms. Ni Riadha will be doing well to keep her deposit, especially when her rather strange views of vaccinations are probed.

Bit of straw clutching there. The criticisms of her go back to 2016 when there was a hell of a lot less clarity about the HPV vaccine -- in fact, there was at that time an Italian study which seemed to indicate the concerns were justified. That paper has only since been discredited, and the HSE has also improved its communications surrounding the vaccine.

Here's what Ní Ríada says about HPV.

http://www.thejournal.ie/hpv-vaccine-11-4164229-Aug2018/
    “During a radio interview in 2016 I clearly outlined that my issue was a lack of information coming from the HSE. A lot of concern and confusion around the HPV vaccination was going on at the time resulting in a pick up of the vaccine of just 51% and there was not nearly enough information forthcoming from the HSE to clarify matters or soothe the concerns of parents.

“So there is no confusion, let me be absolutely clear. Vaccines are a crucial part of modern life and it is only because of them that we now enjoy the greatest life expectancy in human history.

“I would, of course, encourage all parents to get their children fully vaccinated, including with the HPV vaccine and indeed there is recent research saying that this particular vaccine should be extended to boys, which I would also support.”
    I'm going to vote for MDH, and always had planned on doing so, but I for one was delighted that craughwell was pushing for a contest, especially given MDH's previous comments about seeking one term only. Those comments would have made a coronation unbearable, in that we'd be spending the next seven years listening to Seán Gallagher fanboys telling us how poor Seán had been robbed, humiliated, stripped of his chance at the Áras all over again. Muise!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,129 ✭✭✭✭Water John

At least the voters in Munster will become re-aquainted with her name. Might have slipped their minds since her election as an MEP.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,208 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bit of straw clutching there. The criticisms of her go back to 2016 when there was a hell of a lot less clarity about the HPV vaccine -- in fact, there was at that time an Italian study which seemed to indicate the concerns were justified. That paper has only since been discredited, and the HSE has also improved its communications surrounding the vaccine.

Here's what Ní Ríada says about HPV.

http://www.thejournal.ie/hpv-vaccine-11-4164229-Aug2018/

!

There wasn't less clarity about HPV in 2016, there was just more scaremongering and ignorant politicians jumping on bandwagons.

I paid for my daughters to get the vaccine nearly a decade ago when it wasn't available for free, so sure was I that the risks from cervical cancer were so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,929 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What was he thinking?

Image is everything with these guys.

There wasn't less clarity about HPV in 2016,
    Pretty sure i heard a spokeswoman for the HSE admitting exactly that, multiple times, on the radio about a year ago.

I also remember personally reading about that Italian study on the British Medical Journal's website, before it was thoroughly discredited.

Anyway, at the end of the day it's clear that Ní Ríada isn't an anti-vaxxer, but i guess this is all part of the fun and games of a presidential campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,129 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Duffy is all PR and no substance. Good grief for anyone who picked him to steer their business on Dragons Den, especially if it was a real product.
    Perhaps he'd give a list of success stories from it.

Pretty sure i heard a spokeswoman for the HSE admitting exactly that, multiple times, on the radio about a year ago.

I also remember personally reading about that Italian study on the British Medical Journal's website, before it was thoroughly discredited.

Anyway, at the end of the day it's clear that Ní Ríada isn't an anti-vaxxer, but i guess this is all part of the fun and games of a presidential campaign.

Even if you accept that she isn't an anti-vaxxer (and I believe there are unanswered questions), there was an opportunity in 2016 for her to show leadership and encourage people to get vaccinated and she took the easy way out and played to the crowd about the concerns.

She flunked a leadership test, and shouldn't deserve even a nomination.

Even if you accept that she isn't an anti-vaxxer (and I believe there are unanswered questions), there was an opportunity in 2016 for her to show leadership and encourage people to get vaccinated and she took the easy way out and played to the crowd about the concerns.
    What exactly did she say in 2016 that you have a problem with? Specifically.

(As a side note, this campaign really may be done, dusted and in the bag, if some of us are already resorting to defending other candidates, instead of our own preferred one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The area where Ní Ríada should score best is the question of whether a candidate would perform well in historical and cultural duties, given her family background and nationalism - of course, Michael D has also excelled in such areas during his term, but one presumes she would have greater awareness than either Gallagher or Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Could it backfire on Gallagher to repeatedly bring up 2011 and the debates/tweets/brown envelopes business? While he can play the "I was robbed" line, it'll just remind people of the details of what happened and the fact he couldn't deny the allegations.

I'd say a lot of people have forgotten the exact thing he was accused of in the infamous tweet, but if he brings it up they'll remember/investigate and it'll reflect badly on him again, damaging his chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Liadh Ní Riada promises to bring 'enthusiasm, energy and commitment' if elected president.

With a less than 80% attendance as an MEP, I would question the bit about commitment.

Liadh Niada promises to bring 'enthusiasm, energy and commitment' if elected president.

With a less than 80% attendance as an MEP, I would question the bit about commitment.
    79% not bad for somebody with a youngish family that live here.

would your boss be okay with you working just 4 days while paying you for 5?

She certainly is better than the FF lad.

Is a person with family commitments that prevent them from doing their work, any more suitable than an old candidate then?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Looks like Mickey D is in again .

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

I have relatives from down around Coolea and,for reasons I could never figure out, they had no time at all for the O'Riadas. Many of them have passed on by now, but those still living just say they have not time for any of them but never go into details. Think it might be just a bit of begrudgery as you get in many communities but it appears to be deeply rooted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Would you say that about a male or is minding kids a Mammy job?

The area where Ní Ríada should score best is the question of whether a candidate would perform well in historical and cultural duties, given her family background and nationalism
    Hopefully the irony is not lost, of a candidate's family connections being popular with ostensibly republican voters

• Advertisement

Edgware wrote: »
    Would you say that about a male or is minding kids a Mammy job?
    I presume her husband is minding the kids when she not there. (and also when she is)

Advertisement