Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

He brought it up unprompted when asked about the homelessness crisis. Also, how likely is it that a super-wealthy Irish-american would be casually aware of that situation in Tipperary. I'd never heard about it before...

I would imagine 6 new houses, sitting idle during a housing crisis on its own is an issue. What has wealth got do with anything? 3 of the other contenders are alleged to be in the millionaire club .

• Registered Users Posts: 66,929 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RTE are doing an exit poll. I heard they are releasing it at 10 pm tomorrow night. Maybe on the Late Late Show?

RTE finally coming into this century by releasing the exit poll once the polls have closed rather than the following morning.

They did it for the last two refs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,018 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I would imagine 6 new houses, sitting idle during a housing crisis on its own is an issue. What has wealth got do with anything? 3 of the other contenders are alleged to be in the millionaire club .

An issue in the local area maybe. I'm skeptical that a businessman who has spent much of his life in America and whose main Irish connections AFAWK are to Dublin and the Northwest would have just 'happened across' that story.

And it's not his wealth as such but that he moves in the world of big business where I doubt traveller issues ever crossed his radar much before he entered this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,929 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

An issue in the local area maybe. I'm skeptical that a businessman who has spent much of his life in America and whose main Irish connections AFAWK are to Dublin and the Northwest would have just 'happened across' that story.

And it's not his wealth as such but that he moves in the world of big business where I doubt traveller issues ever crossed his radar much before he entered this race.

If however you or your handlers where looking for an 'emotive issue'... it is gold dust. Just saying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

This housing issue was on national media. imho Carey was entitled to comment on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The story was all over the media, print and radio. A tourist would have been aware of it just by queuing in a shop taking a cursory glance at the paper section.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

They did it for the last two refs too.

Only for the 8th Amendment if I'm not mistaken? There was no exit poll for Marriage Equality.

And they released the exit poll for the 8th at 11.30 pm, 90 minutes after the Irish Times had released their exit poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

RTE are doing an exit poll. I heard they are releasing it at 10 pm tomorrow night. Maybe on the Late Late Show?

RTE finally coming into this century by releasing the exit poll once the polls have closed rather than the following morning.

Irish Times as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The cost of the scheme at €1.6 million was made much of - but at €255 k per four bedroom detached house would seem to be reasonable. The problem appeared to be who the tenants would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

In the original comment he was only vaguely aware of it - he had to be corrected from it being in Cork and also mentioned stables rather than grazing.

I'd say he knew what he was at even if not what he was talking about.

• Advertisement

They probably didn't cross his radar , seems what exercised alot of people was his suggestion everyone should be treated equally. Really find it difficult to fault that concept tbh.

The cost of the scheme at €1.6 million was made much of - but at €255 k per four bedroom detached house would seem to be reasonable. The problem appeared to be who the tenants would be.

The cost only became an issue when these homes were being left idle because they weren't accompanied by stables and grazing land.

It seems to vote for someone just because they attacked Travellers.

It doesn't make any sense.

What attack did Casey engage in?

Neither does telling unturths when so easily countered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

There also appears to be an element of "We don't actually want him to win, but there's no chance of that, so we can give him a protest vote" - but if the turnout is under 50% …

What attack did Casey engage in?

By making statements that grouped all Travellers together. It amounted to an attack.

People going to vote for him because of it. Many had never heard of him before the attack.

Most people have little or no interaction with Travellers and yet feel this attack warrants a change of mind in their voting preference.

People going to vote for him because of it. Many had never heard of him before the attack.

You'll have to forgive me but can you detail this attack you speak of. I've missed it.

You'll have to forgive me but can you detail this attack you speak of. I've missed it.

You can choose to believe whatever you like about Travellers. It's really not a concern of mine.

The point is changing your preference suddenly is a bit, well weird.

You can choose to believe whatever you like about Travellers. It's really not a concern of mine.

I have plenty of experience of dealing with travellers. You didn't answer my question though. Can you detail the attack you referred to?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think Michael D will still win the election tomorrow but it was never going to be 70% like the paddy power poll suggested but I still think he'll win. The exit poll tomorrow night will be fun.

• Advertisement

I have plenty of experience of dealing with travellers. You didn't answer my question though. Can you detail the attack you referred to?

Ah so you're another person on boards with all this Traveller experience.

Ah so you're another person on boards with all this Traveller experience.

My experience is varied, bit predominantly negative. Being told I would be burnt out because my then 3 year old have the audacity to sit on a traveller child's bike in all honesty was a bit ott. Also had the delightful experience of having property stolen by them twice. I have a pulse number and the court record of the perpetrators so yes some experience. Have you any?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Not at all.a protest vote to tell our government to wake up and treat travellers the same as ordinary joe soaps if joe soaps broke the rules like travellers do.

Also having watched MDH the last few weeks i've only now noticed how much of an unlikeable person he is.it must literally be the fact that he's small is why people warm to him so much.challenge him on anything or question him and the mask slips.

My experience is varied, bit predominantly negative. Being told I would be burnt out because my then 3 year old have the audacity to sit on a traveller child's bike in all honesty was a bit ott. Also had the delightful experience of having property stolen by them twice. I have a pulse number and the court record of the perpetrators so yes some experience. Have you any?

Ah small stuff here and there. You seem to be particularly unlucky.

smurgen wrote:
    Not at all.a protest vote to tell our government to wake up and treat travellers the same as ordinary joe soaps if joe soaps broke the rules like travellers do.

Huge amounts of Travellers in prison. They are arrested and prosecuted.

Plenty of crimes go unresolved.

The issue is making statements about an entire community. That's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I hate to break this to you, but the no housing without stables story was headlines in pretty much every major (and not so major) media outlet for the best part of a week.

Secondly, these media outlets have online editions nowadays.

And thirdly, as someone who spent a few years abroad, part of my daily routine would be to log in to said media outlets to see what's happening back in the old country so to speak.

But lastly, are you complaining that Casey knows too much about what's happening in the real world, ala Irish current affairs of the present time?

Ah small stuff here and there. You seem to be particularly unlucky.

Not sure having the safety of your family threatened is small stuff tbh or having your property ( quite expensive) stolen is small stuff. As an aside you never replied to my question as to what attack you are referring to on Travellers by Casey and what experience you have of them.

Not sure having the safety of your family threatened is small stuff tbh or having your property ( quite expensive) stolen is small stuff. As an aside you never replied to my question as to what attack you are referring to on Travellers by Casey and what experience you have of them.

I was answering your question when I said small stuff here and there. You're attitude here makes it hard to have sympathy for you by continually asking me to describe the attack.

You can take your anger for Travellers out tomorrow by voting for Casey. Good luck with that.

I was answering your question when I said small stuff here and there. You're attitude here makes it hard to have sympathy for you by continually asking me to describe the attack.

I asked the question twice I believe. Apologies if it were more. You seem unable or unwilling to do so, won't ask again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I see Gallagher was asked how many jobs he's created and he couldn't answer, but was still pushed. Then he said if he counts all the businesses using his space then it's in the thousands. LOL

A business isn't going to be made or ruined based on a flexible workspace!
    It could be ruined if the building isn't fit for use and you have to go to the High Court to get it sorted. Trips to the High Court aren't quick or cheap.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/a-firm-of-presidential-hopeful-sean-gallagher-in-legal-dispute-with-nokia-37385080.html

Advertisement