Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Happy New Year K !

A fine year of PBs, all of which I expect to be improved upon in 2020 - that 10 mile one looks way off compared to all the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

that 10 mile one looks way off compared to all the others.

Haha, yes that was a particularly bad day at the office. Definitely room for improvement there!!

Happy New Year to you :)

Well done on an amazing year! Have thoroughly enjoyed reading your log & thanks for the advice coming up to DCM - greatly appreciated:D

Will enjoy reading your log in 2020 - lots of exciting times ahead for you ;)

Cheers E!
    Exciting times, most definitely. I shall be keeping a close eye on your progress too. Have no doubt that great things await!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Fantastic year of pb's K- well done and all the best for 2020

Tuesday 31st December
    55 mins easy
    6.01m@ 9:02

This was supposed to be run the previous day but I was still a little fragile from the weekend's boozing. :rolleyes:
    #lightweight #cheapdate

Wednesday 1st December
    60 mins easy
    6.77m @ 8:52

New Year's Eve celebrations the night before went on well into the wee small hours but thankfully the head was clear enough to get this one done.

Thursday 2nd January
    Warm up/1mile @7:30 off 90 secs/ 6 x 400m @5k pace off 80secs/90 secs rec/1 mile @ 7:30
    6.13m @ 8:01

Always love these sessions and it seems that the earlier they are, the more I enjoy them. The splits for each of the 400's were:
    6:32/6:31/6:30/6:29/6:34/6:32

Friday 3rd January
    40 mins recovery
    4.41m @ 9:06
    Loop of the quays/Heuston Station/Islandbridge and back onto the quays.

Saturday 4th January
    55 mins steady
    6.50m @ 8:44

Nice relaxed run, lovely morning for it too. Paces a little quicker than usual but I'm blaming the watch. :pac:

Sunday 5th January
    11 miles steady
    11.06m @ 8:23

I was instructed to run this one completely by feel so was a little unsure how it would go. Would I be able to get the paces right or would it end up all over the place? Also, the idea of not looking at the watch for a whole 11 miles was a concept that was completely alien to me so even before I did the run, I had already consigned this one to the reject bin. Started off with a couple of easy miles and gradually took it from there. Once I had gotten used to the idea of running by feel, and not looking at the watch every 30 seconds, it became easier to judge how much the pace should increase with each mile. Thankfully, I didn't have to stop for any traffic which probably would have upset the rhythm a little.
    By mile 11, I felt the pace was bordering on the 'fast' side but I stuck with it and it turned out that it wasn't too far off where it should have been.
    Easily, one of the most satisfying training runs I have done in a long time.

So, am currently on the lookout for a race to enter between now and Manchester. Trim 10 miler would have been ideal but clearly that's no longer an option seeing as it's sold out. On the lookout for another 10 mile race or half marathon. Pity Bohermeen is so close to Manchester, otherwise I'd be back there like a shot, really enjoyed it last year.
    Coach has suggested running one of the 'East of Ireland Marathon' events in January/February. Lusk half marathon could be worth a punt, we shall see.

Miles for the week- 42.4
    Miles for the year - 36.4

• Advertisement

Monday 6th January
    Rest day

Tuesday 7th January
    70 mins easy
    7.06m@ 9:14

Possibly my earliest run in a long time. With the increased mileage this week it was a case of needs must.

Wednesday 8th January
    15 mins W/U, 8 miles alternate (8:00/7:30)
    9.63m @ 7:59

Decided to use this as a runmute after work as the estimated mileage worked out pretty much perfectly. The plan was to enter the PP and run along Military Road before exiting the Chapelizod Gates but even with the slightly brighter than usual evenings, it was a little too dark for my liking and this section of the park didn't appear to be particularly well-lit so changed the plan slightly by heading straight down the Conyngham Rd instead.
    With the faster paces, I knew it would be a bit of a challenge seeing as the route is nett uphill and certain parts have reasonably steep inclines.

Splits were as follows: 8:01/7:31/8:04/7:29/7:56/7:25/8:00/7:31
    Felt it went really well and as with most of my recent session days, I felt I was well able to maintain the desired pace without feeling too much fatigue.

Thursday 9th January
    60 mins easy
    6.62m @ 9:04

Trundled down the North quays and into the Phoenix Park for this. Nice afternoon for it and enjoyed the run up to the Aras before taking a right onto the North Road before leaving the Park. The watch seemed to be displaying paces that were noticeably quicker than what I was running, hence the slightly quicker than usual average pace.

Friday 10th January
    Rest day

Saturday 11th January
    3 mile warm up/Griffeen Parkrun/3 mile cool down

Was really looking forward to this. The plan was to run at 5k pace which was fine by me. Nothing I enjoy more than running Parkruns the only way I seem to know how. Fast. ;)
    Woke up to a very blustery morning, but thankfully no rain. Did the 3 mile warm up in Griffeen and was met with a gale force wind as I ran up the last 500m of the course, most of which has an obvious uphill gradient. This should be fun, I thought.
    After the warm up and the usual formalities, I felt the usual pang of nerves, convincing myself that everyone around me was better than me. Cop on, it's only a Parkrun!
    At the off, I settled into a group of around four/five runners after the front two made their intentions known. Half a mile in and I'd already lost one of the pack so it was me and three others. Took full advantage of the 600 metre-long straight with the wind at our backs to up the pace a little and mile 1 came in at 6:22. So far so good but knew the challenge that lay ahead and how it would affect my splits. Once we came back up the other side of the park, it was a completely different story and as I kicked on against the strong gusts of wind, I left two more runners behind with now just three ahead of me. Confidence boosted no end.
    The headwind continued for another long stretch and just after we came out the other side of it, mile 2 came in at 6:44. Cursed the wind and the very large spanner it was throwing in the works. Again, took full advantage of the tailwind along the second of the two loops and by now I was on my own in 4th with 3rd place looking unlikely, even though I was making some ground. Time to face the music again and now the wind seemed stronger than ever, which, coupled with the uphill path, made it seem like an impossible task. Passed a few runners holding up the rear and I knew that 4th place was as good as mine. 3rd mile clocked in at 6:31 and at the final bend and with 19:32 on the watch, I still felt like I had a mountain to climb. All I could do was give it socks which I duly did.
    Finish time: 20:27 and best Parkrun finish to date. Better than I expected given the conditions but overall was happy with how I felt in general from start to finish and was encouraged when I saw that the first three finishers ran slower times by at least 30 seconds compared to their outings in the previous week's Parkrun.

Sunday 12th January
    12 miles easy
    12.2 m @ 9:11

A lovely, evenly-paced tour around Lucan and some surrounding areas. I sometimes have to remind myself that I'm in training for Manchester because it certainly doesn't feel that way. Not that I'm suggesting the intensity of the training is not matching my expectations, I just feel like I'm in a really good place, running-wise right now. Just hope that I can keep things motoring along for another couple of months.

Miles for the week- 47
    Miles for the year - 83

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Going great guns there K. It's great to see the satisfaction and contentment.

Thanks S! Still one or two pieces of the puzzle missing, namely joining a club but that should be happening soon!!

coogy wrote: »
    Thanks S! Still one or two pieces of the puzzle missing, namely joining a club but that should be happening soon!!

Lucan Harriers is it? A club should be a good fit for you. It just wasn't for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I just feel like I'm in a really good place, running-wise right now. Just hope that I can keep things motoring along for another couple of months.

Love seeing and reading stuff like this, long may it continue for you K!!

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Lucan Harriers is it? A club should be a good fit for you. It just wasn't for me.

Yeah, that's the one. I'm actually one of the coaches for the Juniors twice a week now. You know, like I have the time to spare........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Things are really going well for you K, it's great to see, well deserved but putting in the hard yards!

Sorry for the hijack K. S can i ask why it wasn't for you?
    Yeah, that's the one. I'm actually one of the coaches for the Juniors twice a week now. You know, like I have the time to spare........:rolleyes:

Fair play to you, it's not easy to make the time but somebody has to do it if we want our kids to have opportunities to do things and too many parents leave it to someone else all the time and then the same parents end up having to do everything... sorry it's a bug bear of mine obviously :cool:

ariana` wrote: »

Fair play to you, it's not easy to make the time but somebody has to do it if we want our kids to have opportunities to do things and too many parents leave it to someone else all the time and then the same parents end up having to do everything... sorry it's a bug bear of mine obviously :cool:

Yeah, they asked me to come on board a couple of months ago but I was going to volunteer anyway, knowing what great work they do and how short they are of volunteers.
    It's actually really good fun and they're a great bunch of kids too so it's all good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Similar to the above question for S, why do you think that a club is the missing part of the puzzle for you? You seem to be absolutely motoring along the last while, now with the addition of a coach aswell even more so. I'm genuinely just curious, something that I have often thought about doing but never really seemed like a fit for me.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Similar to the above question for S, why do you think that a club is the missing part of the puzzle for you? You seem to be absolutely motoring along the last while, now with the addition of a coach aswell even more so. I'm genuinely just curious, something that I have often thought about doing but never really seemed like a fit for me.

Thanks Damo. I guess I was just looking at the bigger picture and how far I've come over the last few years. I take my running very seriously now and I suppose it was my thinking that becoming a member of a club would go a long way towards maintaining that level of commitment.
    You're definitely right to point out that noticeable improvements and having a coach would in some way 'seal the deal' so to speak and it has worked out brilliantly so far but being a club runner has been on my radar for a while so I thought that this year might be the year to do it.
    Also - and I'm not sure if any other club runners get this - I like the idea of being associated with a club at races, be it a 10k, a 10 mile, a marathon or whatever.
    Just feels like the right thing to do I suppose.

Sorry, what was the question again? :pac:

ariana` wrote: »
    Sorry for the hijack K. S can i ask why it wasn't for you?

Again K sorry for the hijack in replying.

It had nothing to do with the club at all. It boils down to two main reasons. Firstly my shift work makes it impossible for me to attend anything on a regular basis. While the shifts do follow a pattern this pattern doesn't correspond to a 7 day calendar week.

Secondly, on the Sunday mornings that I am off I simply prefer to run in the Phoenix Park than anywhere else that's reasonably local. This removes me from club long runs also.

I suppose it's also fair to draw on a comment made by OOnegative....I'm a contrary auld b0llix! I'm very happy in my own company.

Not at all, the more the merrier I say!! :)

I definitely share your preference for running in your own company S, it's an aspect of running that I enjoy more than most others. Whether or not it would stand in the way of getting the most from being a club runner remains to be seen......

Thanks Damo. I guess I was just looking at the bigger picture and how far I've come over the last few years. I take my running very seriously now and I suppose it was my thinking that becoming a member of a club would go a long way towards maintaining that level of commitment.
    You're definitely right to point out that noticeable improvements and having a coach would in some way 'seal the deal' so to speak and it has worked out brilliantly so far but being a club runner has been on my radar for a while so I thought that this year might be the year to do it.
    Also - and I'm not sure if any other club runners get this - I like the idea of being associated with a club at races, be it a 10k, a 10 mile, a marathon or whatever.
    Just feels like the right thing to do I suppose.
    Sorry, what was the question again? :pac:

Thanks a mill for that K, I was genuinely curious so apologies if it came across as anything else. Best of luck with it, this will be a great year for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

It had nothing to do with the club at all. It boils down to two main reasons. Firstly my shift work makes it impossible for me to attend anything on a regular basis. While the shifts do follow a pattern this pattern doesn't correspond to a 7 day calendar week.

Secondly, on the Sunday mornings that I am off I simply prefer to run in the Phoenix Park than anywhere else that's reasonably local. This removes me from club long runs also.

I suppose it's also fair to draw on a comment made by OOnegative....I'm a contrary auld b0llix! I'm very happy in my own company.

That all makes sense S... Contrary eh? I never would have thought so :p

I definitely share your preference for running in your own company S, it's an aspect of running that I enjoy more than most others. Whether or not it would stand in the way of getting the most from being a club runner remains to be seen......

Despite being an introvert i find the miles go a lot quicker in company so i do like to be in a group for the long runs. However if it's a choice between running in a group of two or running solo then i will pick running solo any day, I guess I prefer to listen to others chatting away rather than feeling like i have to be part of the conversation :o

There is definitely room for both K. I saw this post by Steve Magness recently which pointed out 2 benefits of running which struck a chord with me in this age of short attention spans and mobile phone 'addiction'.

" Running helps create two skills which are increasingly rare:

1. When running by yourself, it helps create an ability to be alone inside of your head for a long time.

2. When running with others, you learn to fill time with conversation rather than defaulting to your phone. "

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill for that K, I was genuinely curious so apologies if it came across as anything else. Best of luck with it, this will be a great year for you.

No apology necessary Damo, glad you asked!!!! :)

No apology necessary Damo, glad you asked!!!! :)

Whats the plan for Manchester, what are you hoping to get? Any races in the lead up?

Whats the plan for Manchester, what are you hoping to get? Any races in the lead up?

I'm afraid to say that that information is currently being withheld....even from me!!! :rolleyes:

Still on the lookout for a half marathon or 10 mile race but it's proving difficult!

Worst comes to the worst, coach said he'd pace me for a half if I pick out a route.

Sorry Damo, I've just realised I didn't answer your question properly......

In terms of what I'm hoping for, as you know I just missed out on 3:30 at DCM so I think a realistic target would be around the 3:20 mark I reckon. Anyway, all will be revealed in a few weeks! :)

Looks like I'll be running the Naas 10 miler at the beginning of March too so that will give me a chance to test the waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Sorry Damo, I've just realised I didn't answer your question properly......

In terms of what I'm hoping for, as you know I just missed out on 3:30 at DCM so I think a realistic target would be around the 3:20 mark I reckon. Anyway, all will be revealed in a few weeks! :)

Looks like I'll be running the Naas 10 miler at the beginning of March too so that will give me a chance to test the waters.

What about the lusk half? Have you ran that before?

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    What about the lusk half? Have you ran that before?

Haha, touché!!! :D

Monday 6th January
    Rest day

Tuesday 14th January
    8 miles easy
    8.44m@ 9:07

The midweek easy runs are gradually increasing in distance which opens up some new opportunities for the odd runmute here or there.
    Ran the canal from Lucan all the way down to Inchicore, up the Emmet Rd, past James' Hospital and into the city centre getting into work with thankfully some time to spare. Lovely morning for it too. Probably would have enjoyed the surroundings more were it not for the shocking amount of litter along the route.

Wednesday 15th January
    15 mins W/U, 3 x 2 miles at hmp/off 90 seconds
    6.23m @ 7:11

Another runmute, this time an evening session and into another stiff wind with an uphill climb. Found the pace hard going at times, especially with the headwind along the inclines, once again cursing myself for choosing this particular route for this session. Will I ever learn?? :rolleyes:
    Even though I was just about hitting the paces, I allowed myself an extra 10 seconds recovery after the first rep due to the effort levels needed.
    Finished with a 10 minute cool down.

Thursday 16th January
    60 mins easy
    6.50m @ 9:14

Watch died about 10 mins from the end so had take a stab at the overall pace, seems about right though.

Friday 17th January
    Rest day

Saturday 18th January
    3 x 10 mins @ 7:10 pace/off 3 min float @ 5:45 pace

Was supposed to have an early morning hill session in Phoenix Park but with our sporadic kitchen improvements still happening, I was needed at home to help out for a short time. As the morning went on, and with the run looking increasingly unlikely, I was like a bear with a sore head and my poor family spent most of the morning and early afternoon putting up with my poorly disguised foul mood.
    Only one thing for it. Asked the coach for a plan B so he sent me through an alternative session which initially left me scratching my head. 3 x 10 mins, just a tad slower than HM pace with 3 mins float at 5:30 pace. The '5:30 pace' part was like a slap across the face with a wet fish, being somewhat familiar with the effort required from some short bursts of speed during some recent strides.
    Headed over to Griffeen to do the session.
    The first rep was manageable enough and timed it well so that I was faced with a long 600 metre stretch which I hoped would be sufficient for the 3 minute sprint. Could I maintain such a pace? Only one way to find out. Initially, I was keeping close enough to the pace needed while trying my best to remain as 'relaxed' as possible and not over-strain the run. First minute was fine-ish but the pace started to slip gradually as I ran, edging closer to 5:45/5:50 pace. Certainly didn't feel like I was putting any less effort in but was already beginning to tire slightly after 2 minutes. The last minute was spent wondering how the in the name of sweet flying Nostradamus on a pogo-stick the elites can run an entire marathon at that pace and faster. Insane. Just insane.
    Anyway, the second rep of 10 mins felt like a breeze and after the next sprint (same as previous), the third rep felt even easier.
    Plan to find out a bit more about the float sessions. I like the idea behind them but just need to have a chat with the coach to make sure I'm executing them right.

Sunday 19th January
    14 miles easy
    14.16m @ 8:39

Cold frosty morning but thankfully the paths were ok. For a change, decided to head out towards Leixlip/Celbridge direction for this long run. Plan was to run 13 miles at 8:45min/mile pace which I managed handily enough and ended up running splits of around 10 secs less anyway. Added a bonus mile for good measure (mostly to do with a miscalculation) but felt good for it. Nice way to end the week. Nice to return to the house with everyone still asleep......just the way I like it!!! :pac:
    Later in the day, headed out to the Sport Ireland NIA where Lucan Harriers Juniors were invited to take part in an event celebrating Mid Sutton AC 40th anniversary. All the events were 4 x 200 relays from U9s up to U16s. Some super talent on show but great experience for everyone too.

Even better still was The 'Pool's grip on the Premier league trophy tightening that little bit more. It's insane to think the last time they won the league, I was a fresh-faced 17 year old about to sit the Leaving Cert.............just bizarre.

Miles for the week- 46-ish
    Miles for the year - 130

Monday 21st January
    Rest day

Tuesday 22nd  January
    7 miles easy
    7.02m@ 9:08

Up with the birds again for some pre-work miles.

Wednesday 23rd January
    2 miles easy/6 miles @ hmp/2 miles easy
    10.00m @ 7:49

Used this as a run-mute, knowing that the route is predominantly downhill which would obviously work to my advantage, particularly for a session like this.After the initial 2 mile warm up, I upped the gears and found what I am now used to being my HM pace. Experienced a little GPS trouble in parts for the opening mile but after that, it started behaving. Was keeping inside the desired pace easily enough for the most part, remembering to try to keep the form relaxed as possible. During the 5th of the six HM pace miles, along the Conyngham Rd, I felt the first signs of tiredness in the legs, or somewhere, setting in.
    Anyway, managed to pick myself up again and was overall happy with the consistency of the splits:
    7:04/6:55/6:49/6:53/6:56/6:53

Finished off with a 2 mile cool down.

Thursday 24th January
    6 miles easy
    6.19 @ 9:03

Night run

Friday 25th January
    Rest day

Saturday 26th January
    3 miles wu /8 x 600m hills/2 mile cool down

This was another of those sessions that on paper, look like an absolute doddle. In reality - and I mean it this time - this was by far the hardest session I've done to date. Arrived in the PP early. Early enough hat there were a handful of runners still with their head torches glowing. Parked up at the foot of the Khyber and set off on a nice 3 mile warm up, eventually taking me back to my starting point. The aim here was to try to achieve the same average time for each rep and to focus on good form rather than pushing too hard.Still with fresh feet, the pace for the first rep started off at about 5:50 pace, but by the half-way point and with the incline increasing pretty rapidly, it was closer to 6:30/6:40 which I managed to maintain for the rest of the way. First rep came in at around 2:20 and lightly jogged back down to the bottom.
    Still remembering to focus on form, I set off again, this time a starting off in the 6:10/6:15 range, and managed to stay within the 6:20-6:40 pace range for the most part. Second rep was a little slower at around 2:25 and for the remaining 6 reps - even though after each one, I was unsure how I could possibly do another - I maintained that same pace throughout. Great workout, tired but elated. Sat on the grass verge for a few minutes to take it the majesty around me. There's no place quite like it. :)

Sunday 27th January
    14 miles easy
    14.07 @ 9:07

Up early for the this and ended up sodden from a torrential downpour about an hour into the run. The breakfast I whipped up afterwards made it all worth while. :D

Great to see so many fantastic performances at the Raheny 5 mile. Well done to all the PB-ers!!

Miles for the week- 49
    Miles for the year - 186

On a side note, I have decided to put this log to sleep for a little while. I do really enjoy updating it but I've made a conscious decision to curtail my online activity on the whole, and the amount of time that I spend between updating the log and catching up on everyone else's is increasingly to the detriment of other things that should be taking precedent. Nuff said.

For now though, the focus is obviously on training for Manchester - which is going swimmingly - and I will pop back closer to the time to give ye all an update on how things have been progressing. Happy running and see you on Stravaville!! 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Sorry to see this log take a hiatus, but it's the correct decision to scale back if it's encroaching on other stuff.

Best of luck with the rest of the Manchester training. Your consistency since DCM has been fantastic, and I've no doubt you'll smash Manchester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Well done on the hills session K, looking at it on Strava that day and ya nailed it.
    Will miss your reports here bit good decision.

Are you targeting 1.29.59 in HM pre Manchester? I think I heard on the grapevine that you are tackling Lusk HM??!

Advertisement