Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

You sound like a very proud dad :D

Hope the knee gets better soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Thursday 7th November
    5 miles easy pace - 5.04m @9:05

The knee trouble I had experienced the previous weekend strangely disappeared the following day as if it were never there. Odd.
    Still, thought it best to rest up for a few days anyway. By Thursday I was itching to get out and even the cold, wet and miserable conditions couldn't stop me from squeezing a few lunchtime miles in . Legs (and knee) felt good for the whole thing thankfully. Arrived back at work utterly drenched but what harm is a relentless downpour little rain?

Saturday 9th November
    8 miles easy pace - 8.15m @9:06

This had to be an early one as the OH and I were hitting the road for a trip to Carrick-on-Shannon (minus the sproglets) to celebrate the ol' wedding anniversary.
    Once again, the legs felt really fresh and was tempted to turn the run into a 10-miler but I doubt my nearest and dearest would have appreciated the sight of me nodding off in the middle of our fancy meal later that evening........:o

So. What's next?
    First things first. I have bitten the bullet and got myself a coach for the first time. This is a huge step for me and the first of several steps I aim to take to help me bring my running to the next level.
    I have always taken my running seriously but I think now, with two marathons, a handful of half marathons and a few races at other distances under my belt, it's time to up things a gear or two.
    Manchester 2020 is my goal race and aside from the training, I will be aiming to race either a 10k or 10 mile distance somewhere in between.
    Had a good chat with him yesterday and covered lots of ground so really looking forward to seeing how it all pans out.
    Planning on doing Jingle Bells also in a few week's time, provided it doesn't sell out before payday!!!

Secondly (and as mentioned before in this log), joining a running club is top of my 'to do' list for 2020. I'm thinking that the more people I tell, the more likely it is to happen!! :pac:

Exciting times.......

Miles for the week- 13.2
    Miles for the year - 1446

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Exciting times indeed! That's amazing, good luck with it! Will be looking forward to hearing all about how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I hadn't realised you'd pulled the trigger on the coach. That's really great news. Looking forward to reading about your progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Rossi7

Do I get commission

• Advertisement

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Do I get commission

Yes, but only if I manage to get through an entire marathon without crying like a baby. :)

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I hadn't realised you'd pulled the trigger on the coach. That's really great news. Looking forward to reading about your progress.

First day of class today!! :D

Monday 11th November
    5 miles easy pace.
    5.01m @9:10

Freezing out and seriously under-prepared for the conditions with the gear I was wearing. Nice little trundle around city centre though.

Wednesday 13th November
    Warm up/1 mile@7.15 pace/off 90 secs/5x400 (6:45-7:00) off 90 seconds/1 mile@ 7:15 pace.
    6.00m @ 8:11

I had been looking forward to this all week so I got up really early to get it done. Started with a 2 mile warm up and once I started the first 7:15 pace mile, a lack of concentration , a wrong turn a happy accident found me entering Grange Castle business Park. Wasn't really familiar with the surroundings but looking ahead, I could see there was a very long stretch of road which was just what I needed. Running surface was perfect too and with zero traffic around, it suited me just fine.
    The plan prescribed a '5k pace' for the reps of 400 so I settled on somewhere between 6:45-7:00, slightly less that what it would usually be if I was racing a 5k but I was happy enough with that for starters this early in the plan.
    The paces were all bang on which was very satisfying, even though I felt I could have taken it up a notch or two. Plenty of time for that.
    Only mishap was that I had saved the workout on the watch wrong and ended up doing 5 reps of 400 instead of 6. :rolleyes:
    Finished with a 1 mile cool down.

Thursday 15th November
    40 min recovery.
    4.61m @ 8:46

Was a little worried that the paces were not my usual 'recovery' pace. Nothing to be overly concerned about though.

Saturday 16th November
    2 mile wu/3 miles@8:00/3 miles @7:30-7:40
    8.00m @8:10

Up early again into the freezing cold morning for an 'out and back' run with the paces exactly where they should have been. 

Sunday 17th November
    Easy 9 mile run.
    9.42mi @ 9:17

Thought it better to dress appropriately for the weather and don the running tights for the first time since March or April. Don't really like wearing them but sometimes it's a case of needs must. The run was nice and relaxed, perfect morning for it too. Back home for Junior Parkrun where himself bagged a new PB, finishing in 7th place. :cool:

So, as mentioned previously, I have Manchester 2020 in my sights. Payday this week so will finally get around to registering for that. Even though I am eager to run it, there have been a couple of occasions this week (after my usual episodes of over-thinking things during runs) where I've wondered if I'm throwing myself into this too quickly? I know that at some point I'll have had to set a target for myself and train accordingly but there's a little part of me that feels like I'm just trying to cram too much in and that if I do end up going to Manchester, I could easily find myself at the start line thinking "how the hell did this happen?" 
    Still, with two marathons under my belt, my competitive side is telling me that there is definitely room for improvement (I can't ever see myself running solely for the enjoyment of it, nor do I want to enter races just for the 'experience') which is what I based my decision on to run Manchester. I desperately want to improve, who doesn't? Strike while the iron is hot and all that. Just hope I'm not getting carried away with all of this. I do love it though, that's certainly not in question. All that considered, I will most likely go ahead with the plan, sometimes it's good just to get these thoughts out into the open.Looking forward to the week ahead. 

Miles for the week- 35.5
    Miles for the year - 1482

Monday 18th November
    REST

Tuesday 19th November
    5 miles easy w/6 x 80 strides/cool down.
    6.36m @ 9:23

Back up to Grange Castle Business Park for this easy run, another very early start. The early mornings runs definitely benefit me in terms of 'getting it done' but I sometimes wonder how long I can keep it up for before I start to flake.
    Messed up the strides at the end, thanks to some GPS issues.

Wednesday 20th November
    Warm up/ 4x400 (6:45-6:55) off 75 x 3/2 mins rec between sets.
    6.16m @ 8:12

Now at the stage where I am waking up before my alarm goes off. Not sure if that's a good thing or not? :confused:
    15 minute warm up jog preceded this on the way back up to Grange Castle, now becoming a favorite location, especially for the session work.
    Reps for each of the 400's were:
    Set 1: 6:49/6:45/6:54/6:43
    Set 2: 6:50/6:44/6:50/6:54
    Set 3: 6:55/6:50/6:52/6:49
    Very happy with this. As with last week, I felt at times I could have given a little more but I was satisfied with the effort.

Thursday 21st November
    45 mins recovery
    5.06m @ 9.07

Down the quays and a brief visit to the Phoenix Park for a lap of the zoo before heading back down the quays.

Friday 22nd November
    REST

Saturday 23rd November
    Warm up/2 miles @ 8:30/3 miles @8:00/2miles @8:30
    8.61m @ 8:27

Enjoyed this one. Just a nice pace to be running at although might have over-cooked it a little at times. Lots of runners out this morning, with lots of nods of acknowledgement. :)

Sunday 24th November
    Easy 10 mile run.
    10.31mi @ 9:35

Decided the night before that I would give the body a rest by leaving this till Sunday evening. It was only later in the day that I remembered we were going to an Oasis tribute act Liam Gallagher at the 3 Arena that night so just about managed to squeeze this one in, thanks to a very understanding OH. I think I did a good job at stressing how much I needed to do this run. I was actually doing her a favour by going to the gig (wouldn't have gone by choice) so I figured we'd be quits.......:D

Recap of the week - Finally got the finger out and registered for Manchester. It's happening. Still yet to sign up for Jingle Bells but looking likely.
    Certainly felt the tiredness this week but I suspect that it's more to do with the early starts than anything else. Will need to try to break things up a bit when it comes to planning the timing of my runs from here on in.
    Passed the 1,500 mile mark for the year too.

Miles for the week- 39.9 :rolleyes:
    Miles for the year - 1522

Monday 25th November
    40 mins easy w/4×80m strides/cool down
    5.23m @ 9.18

It was out into the late night cold air for this. Don't remember very much about it tbh, pretty straightforward.

Tuesday 26th November
    5 miles easy w/6 x strides
    5.45m @ 9:03

Took advantage of a long lunch and ran down the docks, into Ringsend and finished with some strides (approx 80 metres) in Trinity College.

Wednesday 27th November
    OFF

Thursday 28th November
    WU / 8 x 400m @5k pace off 75 seconds/2 mins recovery/4 x 200m hard off 60 seconds
    5.53m @8.05

Woke up at the usual early time but I really had to push myself out the door to do this session. After deliberating for about 20 minutes over whether or not I had it in me, I decided that I would only regret it later. 
    After a similar session the previous week, I felt that I could have given a bit more so I thought I'd up the pace slightly for each o f the 400's:
    Splits were:
    6:36/6:34/6:38/6:32/6:36/6:34/6:28/6:34

The splits for the 4 x 200's were:
    5:43/5:55/6:05/5:46

Overall, very happy with the session and by the end, relieved that I got it done and out of the way rather than spend the day fretting about how I would fit it in. 

Still somehow getting away with not wearing running tights. Hard as nails, me. :cool:

Friday 29th November
    30 mins easy
    3.23m @ 9:20

A little tired during this, a good tired though.

Saturday 30th November
    30 mins easy + strides
    4.14m @ 8:51

Over to Griffeen for the first time in a long time for this easy trundle. Finished off with 4 x 80's

Sunday 1st November
    10 mile progression run
    10.01m @ 8:28

Was planning on starting with a 1st mile of around 9:30 but some gps issues resulted in mile 1 coming in at around 9:42. Probably just as well as my final mile would have ended up being close to the 7:00 mark which I felt might have been a little on the 'pacey' side so I stuck with the gradual progression from the slightly slower-than-planned pace.
    Have been a little guilty of becoming something of a slave to the Garmin of late. Definitely need it for uploading workouts for the sessions but for runs like this one, I should try to be less rigid when it comes to the paces. Seemed to do the trick and with mile 10 coming in at around 7:15, I reckoned it was a good day at the office.

Came home for a quick shower and change before making our way to Tymon Park for the last of the three Junior XC events of the season.
    Once again, my son was running in the Under 10's and when we arrived, the terrain was, as expected, 'soft', with some parts of the course that could only be described as mulch.
    Given the proximity between the start line and finish, it wasn't possible to see him set off so we waited just before the finish line to cheer him on. The usual faces made up the top four or five but wait a second, who's this? Out of nowhere, himself comes steamrolling down towards the finish line, securing a top 10 finish. Unreal. 
    Bring on the Nationals! :D

Recap of the week: a busy week of running with only one rest day but four of the days were 'easy pace' and relatively short. 
    The coaching side of things is going really well too. I think I'm just one of those runners who's not confident of making decisions without some direction. Definitely the right move for me.
    One thing I need to pick up again though is a routine of s&c workouts. I was doing these religiously pre-DCM but let it slide once that was done and dusted.
    Also, Jingle Bells was all of a sudden looking unlikely after I discovered at the weekend that it was sold out. All is not lost though, thanks to fellow 2018 Novice Hedgehoggy (thanks G!), who's saved my bacon!!

As for the race, a 19:59:59 will send me home happy! :)

Miles for the week- 36.6

Miles for the year - 1558

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Nice week K! Also well done to your son, I can sense just a tiny bit of pride in that update :P

Also avoiding running leggings:cool: Looks like i'm hard as nails too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'm another sticking to the shorts. Got through last winter without resorting to the leggings and I'll try keep the legs out for the duration this year too. Hat and gloves and I'm happy.

Got told by an elderly lady on my run this morning that "you're making me cold just looking at you" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck Saturday K, run well man!!

Thanks a million B, looking forward to it!!

Monday 2nd December 

Rest

Tuesday 3rd December
    Warm up/4x 1k @ 5k pace
    4.48m @ 7:48

This looked like a juicy one on paper and I was NOT disappointed when it came to executing it. Always feels like more of a challenge doing these sessions so early in the morning and ultimately way more satisfying. After a 15 min warm up, I started the first of the 1k reps. I knew for Jingle Bells that if I wanted a sub-20, I'd need to be hitting at least 6:25 min/miles so I aimed for a similar pace. Was happy to see that I was bang on target each time.

Splits were:
    6:25/6:27/6:23/6:26

Wednesday 4th December 
    50 mins recovery
    5.52 m @ 9:12

Headed down the North Quays and up to the Phoenix Park via NCR. 

Thursday 5th December
    Rest

Friday 6th December
    30 mins easy + strides
    3.59m @ 8:58

Another lunch-time run with 4 x 80 m strides tagged on to the end.

Saturday 7th November
    Jingle Bells 5k
    3.1m @ 6.22

Although I was feeling very confident, the nerves were starting to make themselves known during the drive over to the Phoenix Park. Made sure I was in plenty of time to allow for a bit of a warm up and some decent stretching and a few strides for good measure.

Met Hedgehoggy on the way down to the start line and once in the enclosure, had a brief chat with Damo before spotting Wubble Wubble and wished them both luck. Positioned myself about 50 metres from the start line and save for some minor congestion, once we got going, and manoevered past some pockets of runners, I was moving freely enough. That said, some small amount of weaving in and out was required at times but once we hit Chesterfield Ave, we were motoring. 

Spotted WW up ahead, steadily making ground, while Damo had already left us for dust. 

This being only my second actual 5k race, I was unsure how things would unfold but for the time being, I felt in control and was hitting my target pace without any major problems. 

Turning on to the Furze, mile 1 beeped in at 6:29, happy with that for starters, just keep it up and don't panic. Too early for panic. I was starting to pass out a good few runners now and a quick glance of the watch showed me I was still maintaining the desired pace, even though the first signs of real effort were become evident. The only thing I was focusing on was not letting the pace slip too far beyond what was needed and, looking up ahead at the incline, I knew how important it was to do a good job of managing this section of the course.

Kept the form as controlled as possible and thankfully, still on track. Past the Knockmaroon Gates now and mile 2 showed a pace of 6:27, Feeling the pinch now but knowing that the home straight was not too far ahead, I tried desperately hard to prevent any of the usual inner demons from rearing their ugly heads. Another unexpected incline which was thankfully managed reasonably well and we can finally begin the approach down the home straight. Even with the obvious downhill advantage and a pace of around 5:55/6:00, I knew that this was no time to take the foot off the gas. Things were beginning to hurt now and was really struggling to find an extra gear from somewhere. Spotted my coach pacing one of his crew and had a little chuckle to myself as I heard his words/shouts/screams of gentle (?) encouragement. It was a relief to see mile 3 coming in at 6:11 and knew that this was the time to make it count. I desperately searched for signs of the runners up ahead approaching or crossing anything that looked like a finish line but all I could make out were runners running. Ah, there it is, finally. 

Now with the finish line finally in clear sight, I took one last look at the watch which showed 19:30. With about 100 metres to go, I put the foot down (or as close to 'putting your foot down' as you can get), using up the last of my reserves and crossing the line with around 10 seconds to spare. Phew!! Crossed the line in 19:48 and for the first time in what seemed like a long time, experienced a feeling of elation at the finish. Spotted Lazare, who finished just a few seconds ahead of me and went over to congratulate him as we both desperately clung on to the barrier composed ourselves before collecting our mugs and other goodies.

Was great to catch up with some Boardsies afterwards including Browneyes, Huzzah, and Damo to discuss our respective post-race thoughts. Had a quick chat with coach before running the cool down with Browneyes before joining ReeReeG for about a mile's worth of chats.

A good day at the office all round. :)

Sunday 8th December
    70 mins easy
    7.65m @ 9:21

Not much to say about this except that it was an absolutely rotten morning for running. The running tights came out too. I am clearly not as 'hard as nails' as I thought I was. :rolleyes:

Legs felt a little creaky after the previous day so took it nice and slow. Weather took a turn for the worse later in the day so was relieved to have got this done early doors.

What's next..........the training for Manchester will begin in earnest in January, during which time I plan to target a 10k and half marathon. Bohermeen would be ideal but cutting it a little fine for me timing wise, being less than 4 weeks away from Manchester. Wicklow half looks like the only other option for now. 

Miles for the week- 35

Miles for the year - 1589

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Catching up here - congrats on the JB 5k - great stuff. Good to see the speedwork paying off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Nice race report K.

Congrats on the sub 20, still lots more in your tank for the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Nicely raced K. Congrats on the PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great stuff K, nicely raced my man, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Brilliant run K, delighted for you.

You passed me out somewhere along the Furze, I would guess. Either way, you were ahead coming out of the dip, as this photo (kind of) illustrates - as in, I'm largely obscured by the chap in the dark grey top. Well deserved!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Catching up here - congrats on the JB 5k - great stuff. Good to see the speedwork paying off.

Thanks D, yes definitely feeling the benefits of the last three weeks!!

Nice race report K.

Congrats on the sub 20, still lots more in your tank for the future!

Cheers J, on the day itself, there wasn't an awful lot left in the tank (a good thing, I know), but like you said on Strava, it was a very satisfying way to end the year!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Nicely raced K. Congrats on the PB!

Cheers A, those 5k's are a law unto themselves!! :rolleyes:

OOnegative wrote: »
    Great stuff K, nicely raced my man, well done.

Thanks B! Really happy with with it. Another milestone reached!

Brilliant run K, delighted for you.

You passed me out somewhere along the Furze, I would guess. Either way, you were ahead coming out of the dip, as this photo (kind of) illustrates - as in, I'm largely obscured by the chap in the dark grey top. Well deserved!

Thanks a lot J, I actually passed you just as we turned onto the Furze. I thought I would end up riding on your coat-tails a la Ratoath as you were ahead of me for most of mile 1.
    Was checking out those photos yesterday, I still knew it was you though!!! (the cap was a giveaway):D

Keeping it short and sweet this week on the log front........

Monday 9th December 
    Rest

Tuesday 10th December
    60 mins easy
    6.58m @ 9:15

Worryingly, absolutely no recollection of doing this run......

Wednesday 11th December 
    Warm up/3 × 2km (6:35-6:40) off 80 secs
    5.59m @ 7:38

Running each rep 30 seconds too fast + insane headwind along the North Road places this session in the 'blow-out' category. Thankful that the last of the three reps was on the descent down Chesterfield Ave towards the zoo.Followed by 2 mile cool down.

Thursday 12th December
    50 mins easy
    5.42m @ 9:20

Early doors for this one and up to Grange Castle Business Park. Peace and quiet all around as always at that hour but never fail to notice how certain companies (mainly the big guns) are rarely ever 'closed' so to speak with lots of activity from within from night-shift employees and pre-dawn delivery trucks.
    Not exactly what I'd call an interesting observation but just something I notice and occasionally appreciate.

Friday 13th December
    70 mins moderate
    8.80m @ 7:59

Had an evening of drawing caricatures at a corporate event scheduled after work so after a morning of work meetings, I had to squeeze this in somehow. "Extended lunch break" was the only way.......:rolleyes:

Saturday 14th November
    2 mile wu/drills/4 x 100m/8 x 30 sec hills/cool down

Another 3 hour caricature gig today so another early start. Been a while since I've done any hills so this was a nice reintroduction. Each rep was in the 5:40/5:50 territory.

Sunday 15th December
    10 miles steady 7.65m @ 9:21

I absolutely loved this run from start to finish. Felt great for the whole thing and could easily have ran another 10 miles. Very cold out though and for the 1st mile, the hands were frozen. After that, it was all good.
    Back home and out again for the Under 11's XC National Novice & Juvenile Uneven Age races in Dunboyne. Parts of the course during the walk-through were a sight to behold. Pure soup.As for the race, there was a huge field, 198 runners to be precise and our little star finished strong and looking very determined in 159th. A fine outing for his first National event, considering he's still only 9. Some mightily impressive performances on display too. Kudos to each and every one of them.

On Saturday morning, will be heading out for a session in the Phoenix Park with the coach and one other of his coachees (is that even a word?), so looking forward to that.

Miles for the week- 44.5
    Miles for the year - 1633

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats on a tremendous 2019 K.

Your style of writing and reporting has really marked this log out as one of my favourites. Loved your Dublin Marathon report and looking forward to tracking your progress on what will inevitably be a sub 3 30 in Manchester.

Monday 16th December 
    6 miles easy
    6.44m@ 9:08

Night time run around Lucan. Nowt to report

Wednesday 18th December
    15 mins wu/3 sets of 4 X 400m @ 5k pace off 90secs/2 mins between sets
    6.37m @ 8:11

Another 'up with the birds' speed session. Still hard to know if I'm getting the best out of myself, given the early hour. Usually by the time the warm up is done, I feel reasonably awake.
    Paces were as follows:
    Set 1 - 98/97/99/98
    Set 2 - 96/96/99/98
    Set 3 - 99/98/97/100

Last two reps in set 3 felt a little leggy, not a bad thing I suppose.
    Finished with a
    15 minute cool down

Thursday 19th December 
    Recovery run
    5.91m @ 9:09

Day off work. Absolutely Baltic morning and was on the receiving end of some very strange looks as I walked the kids to school dressed in just shorts/running top.:pac:

Friday 20th December
    60 mins easy + strides
    6.84 @ 9:12

Very little to mention about this one either. Still, they all count.

Saturday 21st December
    5 x hill repeats off 3 mins/cool down

Met the coach at the top of the Upper Glen Rd, just where the road splits leading down to the Furry Glen. It was the two of us and another of his crew who has been training with him for over a year and is currently preparing for Donadea.
    Did a quick recce of the loop we'd be doing which started along the Furry Glen, about 200 metres from Upper Glen Rd, sharp left continuing along this road, off the road and down the steps leading back down to the Furry Glen. The plan was for 90 seconds hills at 10k pace (approx 6:45) and the rest would be 3 mins recovery.
    Won't go into too much detail but I thoroughly enjoyed this, not least because of the company which is something I rarely get to experience.
    The coaching side of things is working out better than I could have imagined, glad that I decided to take the plunge.

Sunday 22nd December
    10 miles steady 10.07m @ 8:49

Identical mileage (have just realised that the distance and time for last week's 10 mile was completely wrong and now uneditable) and route to previous Sunday but right knee was giving out for the first few miles. Felt fine by the end of the run though.

Miles for the week- 42.2
    Miles for the year - 1682

So, we're almost through with 2019 but still just enough time to practice different ways to say "just going out for a run" on December 25th. :D
    Thanks to everyone who stopped by for a visit and to those of you who left a comment along the way. It's all greatly appreciated.
    On the whole, I can say that the year has been a success from a running point of view and in what I was hoping to achieve. I know there's a lot more in the tank for 2020 and beyond and hopefully will come away from Manchester with another marathon time and performance to be proud of.

Happy Chrimbles to you all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

coogy wrote: »

I know there's a lot more in the tank for 2020 and beyond and hopefully will come away from Manchester with another marathon time and performance to be proud of.

No doubt about it, K.

Have a lovely Christmas!

Huzzah! wrote: »
    No doubt about it, K.

Have a lovely Christmas!

Thanks E, you too!! :)

Congrats on a tremendous 2019 K.

Your style of writing and reporting has really marked this log out as one of my favourites. Loved your Dublin Marathon report and looking forward to tracking your progress on what will inevitably be a sub 3 30 in Manchester.

Cheers for that J. I've definitely been growing in confidence since DCM and that's a big thing that was holding me back for a long time.

The shackles are off!!! :D

Tuesday 24th December
    60 mins easy + strides
    6.96m@ 9:09

Meat and potatoes.

Wednesday 25th December
    5 mile progression run
    5.06m @ 8:15

Happy to say that Santa delivered the goods this year so I took an unexpected opportunity to road-test the new running gear for this 5 mile progression run.
    Paths were quite icy in a lot of parts so had to navigate my way through the icy patches while trying not to let the pace slip too much.

Thursday 26th December
    50 mins recovery run
    5.48m @ 9:09

Nothing to see here.

Friday 27th December
    60 mins easy + strides
    6.87 @ 9:12

Move along now.

Saturday 28th December
    20 mins easy/6 x 90 secs on/90 secs off/20 mins easy
    6.50m @ 8:44

Enjoyed this workout. Legs felt good throughout.

Sunday 29th December
    11 miles steady
    11.07m @ 8:45

This run was almost consigned to the scrap heap as the raging hangover I suffered from the night before left me in a sorry state for most of the day. My tolerance for alcohol is on a rapid decline and it doesn't take an awful lot to send me over the edge. Still, glad I squeezed this one in, would have really p***ed me off if I'd struck it off.

Never again (famous last words)

Miles for the week- 42
    Miles for the year - 1723

Quick recap of the year's main events:
    • Sun, 10/03/2019 Bohermeen Half Marathon - 1:36:21 (new PB)
    • Tue, 28/05/2019 BHAA Dunboyne 5 mile (first attempt at 5 mile distance) 34:08
    • Sat, 24/08/2019 Frank Duffy 10 mile. 1:16:37 (new PB)
    • Sat, 14/09/2019 Ratoath Half Marathon - 1:35:25 (new PB)
    • Sun, 27/10/2019 Dublin City Marathon 2019 3:31:46 (new PB)

Happy New Year to you all and hope that 2020 brings many pb's your way!

• Advertisement

Happy New Year to you :)

Well done on an amazing year! Have thoroughly enjoyed reading your log & thanks for the advice coming up to DCM - greatly appreciated:D

Will enjoy reading your log in 2020 - lots of exciting times ahead for you ;)

Advertisement