Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sounds a bit like the problem I had between HM and DCM 2016. Best of luck. Keep us updated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Saturday 10th August - Griffeen Parkrun

To say I was looking forward to this is something of an understatement. Had been really disciplined for the whole week, making sure that I followed the physio's advice to the letter. During the latter stages of the week, the niggly pain in the knee gradually started to feel less problematic which had me feeling good about my first outing in what seemed like forever.
    There was a decent enough turnout at the parkrun and once we got going, I hung back towards the rear, making sure I kept things nice and easy. The relaxed pace (approx 9:20) made a nice change from busting a gut like I've usually done in my previous twenty parkruns and more importantly, the knee was feeling pretty good with only just the slightest trace of what I had been feeling before.
    Not only that, but from the 2 mile stage onwards - especially at the finish - I fully appreciated what it truly means to some people just to complete a 5k, whatever the pace. Finished in 28:49 (couldn't resist sprinting the final 100 metres!).
    I was so glad that I took things easy and I have the next few days to put things right before I can say with confidence that I feel back to 100%. Hopefully by Tuesday, I'll be raring to go and pick up where I left off.

Signed up yesterday for the Frank Duffy 10 mile, might do the Lucan Harriers 5k race next month too which finishes on their brand new running track, looks mightily impressive too!

That's it for now.......thanks for reading.

Sunday 11th August - 5 miles easy run. 5.02m @ 9.19

Still very much in the 'take it one day at a time' mode so I decided beforehand that 5 miles would be my limit today. The kniggles (see what I did there?) are still detectable but didn't really pose a problem.
    During the run, I started to fret about the week ahead and the short amount of time I have to prepare for the Frank Duffy 10 mile. We're off to Manchester on Saturday for five days and although I'll be taking my running gear with me, we're staying in a Travelodge so I'm not that confident of getting any runs in at all. I already feel like I'm way behind where I should be and losing out on another few days of running would be a huge setback.
    My options for this week are:
    • Run according to the plan this week, sacrifice Saturday's 60 min easy run and hope that I can get out for Sunday's 90 min progression run while in Manchester.
    OR
    • Do all of this week's runs from Monday through Friday and have Saturday and Sunday off. Even at that, I would still have to try to get the following Tuesday and Wednesday's runs done while in Manchester.

The above is all dependant on how the knee is holding up of course.....:(

Worse case scenario, I'll just have to treat the FD race as an LSR.

On a more positive note, the swelling in the left ankle has completely disappeared.
    And in other news, the speed demon continues to impress by finishing 9th in this morning's Junior Parkrun. I think it's a case of next stop: Lucan Harriers!!!! :)

Miles for the year: 977

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

It's good to see you back K, and hopefully the knee behaves itself from now on.

I'd be pretty cautious with trying to do too much, and I wouldn't be a fan of diving straight back into the complete plan, and especially not running five consecutive days while you are still figuring out if the knee is 100%.

You could swap long runs, doing FD as the progression run and just do a regular long run this week? Assuming the knee is ok, I'd do the 20 mins threshold session on Tuesday, easy miles Wednesday, long run on Friday so that it's out of the way before Manchester, with a couple of easy days while in Manchester, if possible.

Enjoy the trip :)

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I'd be pretty cautious with trying to do too much, and I wouldn't be a fan of diving straight back into the complete plan, and especially not running five consecutive days while you are still figuring out if the knee is 100%.

Thanks A. You have no idea how long my finger hovered over the 'Submit Reply' button before posting that. Of course, I know that running five consecutive days on the back of an injury is frankly ludicrous but my tendency to dismiss rational thought in the face of adversity is sometimes out of my control!! :o

I like the sound of your suggestion, appreciate your input!

• Advertisement

Tuesday 13th August - 20 mins @ threshold (7:06 - 7:15). 2.81 m @ 7.07

Session runs at such an early hour have potential to be hit or miss I think, especially when it's a fasted run. Thankfully, I have been eating well and staying well hydrated and also seeing as it was only a 20 minute session, I felt like I was good to go and out the door before 6am. Started off with a 1 mile warm up down to Griffeen.

The threshold pace was done mostly on grass and obviously, given my knee issue, I was waiting for things to go belly up again. Thankfully, everything went off without a hitch and the knee gave no problems whatsoever, delighted. Perhaps during the first few minutes, the lack of regular running over the couple of weeks left me feeling a little sluggish but overall, I felt like I was well able to handle the pace.

Finished it off with another mile for the cool down.

Wednesday 14th August - 60 mins easy. 6.26 m @ 9.38

Another early one and not much to say about this 'meat and potatoes' easy run except the knee was still holding up really well.

Speaking of which, I have been thinking a lot about next week's FD race and I really feel like I should give it a shot. I am still going to go with Mr. G's suggestion of doing next week's lsr this Friday (I feel like I'd benefit from the extra mileage) and will do my best to fit in a couple of 60 min easy runs while in Manchester, before tapering ahead of the 10 miler next week.

That's where my head is at right now. I've been sensible enough up to this point and I wouldn't do anything rash if I thought there was a chance of suffering another setback. Will give it a bit more thought between today and tomorrow........

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

coogy wrote: »
    Session runs at such an early hour have potential to be hit or miss I think, especially when it's a fasted run.

Sessions in the morning are sooooo much harder

Glad to hear the knee is getting better

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    Sessions in the morning are sooooo much harder

Glad to hear the knee is getting better

Thanks G!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Whats the aim for Saturday? Do you think the injury has set you back considerably?

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Whats the aim for Saturday? Do you think the injury has set you back considerably?

Well, my 10 mile pb is from last year's Irish Runner (1:18). I'm confident of bettering that time but as for my goal for Saturday.......I'm still undecided.
    On one hand, l know for sure that a PB is likely but I think I'll have to see how this week goes before I settle on a target time.
    Generally, I'm feeling good after the lay off but don't want to end back where I was if I push it too hard.
    Will we see you on Saturday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Well, my 10 mile pb is from last year's Irish Runner (1:18). I'm confident of bettering that time but as for my goal for Saturday.......I'm still undecided.
    On one hand, l know for sure that a PB is likely but I think I'll have to see how this week goes before I settle on a target time.
    Generally, I'm feeling good after the lay off but don't want to end back where I was if I push it too hard.
    Will we see you on Saturday?

Yeh, its trying to find the fine line between not bringing the niggle back vs. not wanting to go too easy, if that makes sense!!

You will indeed! Hopefully the wind isint too bad, can definitely get caught on Acres, Chesterfield and North Road.

Grads Intermediate plan, Week 4

Thursday 15th August - Rest day

Friday 16th August - 2hrs, 30 mins easy. 16.05m @ 9:21
    With my longest run of 2019 so far, the only dilemma I had was whether to get up at 5am do it before I left the house for work or do it as a runmute. Chose the latter as it would give me an opportunity to get a decent hour or so around the Phoenix Park along the way.

Left the house to some light but steady rain which made a nice change.
    In short, the run was really enjoyable, if not a little on the quick side in parts. The 8 miles or so around the PP was great. Felt a little tiredness towards the end but by no means out of gas. Most importantly, the knee was trouble free.

Oh yeah, passed the 1,000 miles for the year too! :)

Saturday 17th August -  Manchester bound

Sunday 18th August - 60 mins easy.  6.37m @ 9:32

Terrible night's sleep (I dread those Travelodge beds!) and found myself waking almost on the hour every hour so wasn't that difficult getting up at the crack of dawn. Thankfully, even though I wasn't exactly "quiet" when I left the room, everyone went straight back to sleep. 

Headed over to a beautiful location called Fletcher Moss- where the local Parkrun is held - a lovely wooded area with a really nice trail path around it. Had a few enjoyable laps of the perimeter before heading back to the hotel.

The week ahead: Here in Manchester till Wednesday so will get a tempo run and 60 mins easy run done while we're here before another easy run back home and then Frank Duffy 10 mile on Saturday to look forward to. 

Still undecided regarding goal time but I would like to think that a PB is on the cards. Will see how the week progresses.

Miles for the week - 36.8
    Miles for the year - 1014

Thanks for reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Grab the bull by the horns. You have to find out how the training has improved you.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Grab the bull by the horns. You have to find out how the training has improved you.

You're right.S. No time like the present!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

You're right.S. No time like the present!

And the target is? (Drum roll..................)

I meant to get in on this earlier. FWIW I think 1:18 is setting the bar way too low.

I think I'm a fairly good marker. Last year you were just behind me in the Ratoath HM, and you beat that time in Bohermeen earlier this year. Beat me in Docklands in June. So even with a bit of training missed, I think you should expect to be a lot closer to 1:10 than 1:18. Best of luck with whatever you decide :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Similar to yourself. Hope to knock some time off the 10 mile distance, whilst having been in physioland lately. Ran ~6 miles easy tonight, first run since Thursday. Hope to fire up the DeLorean on Saturday. I'd offer a spare flux capacitor, but doubt you need it.

S and J, I have just accidentally deleted a very long-winded response to you both so I will have to give you the potted version.....:rolleyes:

S, after this morning's run, I had allowed myself a target of anywhere between 1:10 and 1:15. I know for sure that come race day that I will be feeling more confident of getting closer to 70 mins. I have surprised myself on more than one occasion so hopefully I'll be going home a happy camper.

J, you're right, I need to set the bar much higher and yes, I had been inspired by your time in Kilcock last weekend! Perhaps reading the details of the various lags along the route had me second guessing myself.....just need to have more self belief!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the best tomorrow at the FD K, run well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck tomorrow K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck tomorrow!

OOnegative wrote: »
    All the best tomorrow at the FD K, run well!!
    Cheers B, looking forward to it!
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow K.
    Thanks K! Honestly didn't think I'd make it so plan to give it socks!
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow!
    Thanks A, appreciate that!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Best of luck K

Tuesday 20th August - 40 mins tempo. 5.35m @ 7:29 (warm up & cool down either side)

The slinking-out-of-the-hotel-room manoeuvre was perfected further this morning. Not a soul stirred. ;)
    Decided against returning to the previous day's location as the GPS signal was a little iffy due to the amount of tree coverage so worked out a 7 mile loop of the wider area and started off with a 1 mile warm up.
    Took a few seconds to myself before starting the tempo run and off I went. Instantly regretted the route I had chosen as I had to navigate my way around approx a mile of uneven and broken footpath. Still, the pace was good and eventually the surface levelled out.
    Found it easy enough to maintain the pace of about 7:30-ish but 4 miles in, out of nowhere, a torrential downpour came bucketing down and within about 10 seconds I was drenched from head to toe. No way was I stopping for this so sloshed my way through it. Thankfully, the pace didn't suffer and hit the 40 mins mark after about 5.3 miles.
    Really enjoyed that.

Wednesday 21st August - 60 mins easy. 6.17m @ 9.45
    Heading back to Dublin on the evening ferry so had to make it another early run. Made my way back to Fletcher Moss, this time taking in more of the banks of the Mersey and went very much off the beaten track before making my way out of the park and into the lovely Didsbury village.
    The sailing back to Dublin later that night was absolute pants so treated myself to an entry to the Ratoath Half........:cool:

Thursday 22nd August - 60 mins easy. 6.27m @ 9.36
    A nice easy 60 minutes to cap off the week until Frank Duffy on Saturday. For some reason the Garmin wouldn't upload to Strava so had to do it manually. I've tried everything but it's still acting up. At least it's recording the runs/pace/mileage......definitely time for a new watch!!!

So, Frank Duffy 10 mile tomorrow. Feeling nervous but also looking forward to it. The plan is to be sensible from the off and see how the planned pace suits me. I feel like I dodged a bullet with that knee trouble earlier in the month so am glad just to be able to make it to the start line. What it all comes down to really - regardless of the outcome - is that it's another race under my belt. The plan is to keep chipping away and hopefully in time, I will start to see gradual improvements!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Best of Luck this morning!

Frank Duffy 10 mile

Woke up about an hour earlier than planned but used it to my advantage by ensuring that I would finally arrive on time for something. :p
    Was in the Park for 8:45am and enjoyed a nice relaxing stroll up to the bag drop.
    Went off on an easy jog up Chesterfield Ave before bumping into Wubble Wubble who was on volunteering duties. Ran up to Castleknock gate, back down Chesterfield and onto North Road (I think I passed Sheep here), past the Aras and back around to the start line.
    I was feeling good and the conditions felt like they would be just right. Said a quick hello to Murph_D who was starting a little further back and then Skyblue who was there to cheer on the troops.
    I told Skyblue that I'd already decided 70 mins might be a step too far but some gentle nudging made me think that it may just be worth a shot.

Miles 1-3
    As expected, there was quite a bit of congestion from the off but nowhere near as bad as I thought. Once we came off Chesterfield and onto OS Rd, I nearly had a tumble as I mounted the grass verge to overtake another runner. The left ankle rolled over in a pothole and was lucky it didn't send me flying.
    Made sure I kept the pace between 7:00/7:20 for the first couple of miles, especially on the downhill stretch towards the Chapelizod Gate. I just about managed this for mile 2, coming in just under 7 mins for that mile.
    The first test came along the uphill S-bends along Military Rd but still kept the pace as I wanted it. The first water station was a disaster and ended up with virtually no water intake.The downhill trundle towards the foot of the Kyhber pass was a welcome respite before another climb up towards the monument. "Can I really do this?" was a question that introduced itself at the worst possible time.
    Splits: 7:12/6:59/7:10

Miles 4-6
    Once past the monument, it was back around onto Chesterfield Ave where there was some good support by the side of the road and gave Skyblue a shout just before turning onto Lord's Walk. Strangely, and out of nowhere, I suddenly felt completely wiped of all energy and tried my best to ignore thoughts of stopping. My breathing became erratic, my legs were starting to ache and I desperately needed water. I was finding it hard to process the desire to throw in the towel right there and then, only 4 miles in. First things first - SLOW. DOWN.
    I figured there might be a chance to salvage something if I just take it easy for a couple of miles, so brought the pace back to around 7:30-7:45. The stretch along the North Road seemed to last an eternity but we eventually hit the halfway mark just before the next water station in the triangle before rejoining the North Rd. This one went a bit more smoothly and poured the contents of two plastics cups down my back and drank what was left of the third cup.
    Splits: 7:24/7:31/7:48

Miles 7-9

As we made our way back up towards Chesterfield Ave, I felt a second wind come on and the legs started moving a bit more freely, minus the ache I'd experienced the in the previous mile. Caught up with Damo2k9 and was effortlessly passed out by Rossi7 who looked very composed. Once onto Chesterfield Ave, I felt like I was clawing back a few valuable seconds and when we hit Acres Road, I noticed my pace had steadied out but by this stage I had decided to readjust my target time to 75 mins, knowing that the legs just didn't have what it would take to finish and better than that.
    Caught up with Damo again as we hit the beginning of the climb along the Upper Glenn Road.I was feeling good as I clocked there was only a mile and a half to go. Rossi was making great progress up ahead and showed no signs of fatigue. Then Damo put the foot down and gradually drifted ahead.
    About half way up this stretch, it was as if the entire field of runners who had been behind me had been suddenly unleashed from their shackles and I was overtaken by a serious amount of runners in the space of about a minute. Obviously they had run a far more sensible race and were reaping the benefits of their fresher legs. That was a little demoralising and did nothing for my physical state which again was staring to wane.
    Splits: 7:47/7:45/7:38

Mile 10

The less said about this mile the better. There were a good few walkers by this stage and I have to say, even with less than half a mile to go, I was sorely tempted to join them as I was utterly spent. I knew even at the start of this mile that I wouldn't have enough in the tank even to attempt a final sprint towards the finish line.
    I tried anyway but it was no use. Out of gas.
    Split: 8:08

Crossed the finish line in a heap time of 1:16:37. A PB of 1 min, 34 secs, not the 2 mins I had figured earlier on. Still .......a PB is a PB is a PB. I guess.

The warm weather was clearly a factor and I learned from Skyblue afterwards that a few other Boardsies were some way behind their target times too. I think it's also safe to say that the chunk of training I missed earlier in the month will have had some bearing on my performance.
    That being said, I am happy with my time and I'm also relieved that I didn't bow out during mile 4 when I felt it was all over.

Next up is the Ratoath Half where I'll be aiming for a 1:35. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You know where you are. You can probably deduct 2 mins for the conditions. Good race, well done, K. “More to give”, as the age old saying says. I would take that performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done on the pb - and pushing until the end . It was a bit warm all right . I enjoyed those hills last year during the half . Yesterday they were mountains !! Ratoath will be nicer - a little bit sneakier but nicer !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

So, Frank Duffy 10 mile tomorrow. Feeling nervous but also looking forward to it. The plan is to be sensible from the off and see how the planned pace suits me. I feel like I dodged a bullet with that knee trouble earlier in the month so am glad just to be able to make it to the start line. What it all comes down to really - regardless of the outcome - is that it's another race under my belt. The plan is to keep chipping away and hopefully in time, I will start to see gradual improvements!!
    Crossed the finish line in a heap time of 1:16:37. A PB of 1 min, 34 secs, not the 2 mins I had figured earlier on. Still .......a PB is a PB is a PB. I guess.

Maybe not quite the time you hoped for, but I think perhaps the knee trouble came at the wrong time for this race and the conditions yesterday made it tough for many. You're still chipping away and the improvements are there to be seen. Congrats on the PB.

• Advertisement

Congrats again on the PB. The fact that you kept going, even when it would have been "easy" to chuck it in early on, has got to be a positive. Like I say, sometimes you've just got to revise your targets mid race, know what's realistic on the day, and also (more importantly in this case) what isn't. Couple of good weeks training, and you'll be all set for a PB attempt in Ratoath. Look forward to it!

Advertisement