Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What PlayStation games are you playing ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I got such Super Mario 64 vibes off Astros Playroom. A really fun game and gets the juices flowing as to the potential of the PS5 Controller.

A full blown game will be very well received.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Have you not played God of War or Bloodborne? Both far superior games.

I've went back to Days Gone because I've nothing else to play at the moment and it's grand but nothing more. It drags on and the conversations between characters is just painful - Boozman, you there man.

I'm hugely disappointed in the game myself because when I saw the original trailers this was the game I was most excited for for the PS4. I thought it had huge potential but it just doesn't live up to that potential.

I'll keep going and finish it out but it's only a 6/10 game for me.

P.S. - If I've to visit that stupid rock once more I'm going to go mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I had started on Days Gone but it didn't catch me so I fired up FarCry 5 for the second time. I really enjoy it, the setting, characters, music, it's really just a fun game. I'll either try Days Gone again after that or start on something else altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Playing through Spiderman on PS5. Got the ultimate edition of Miles Morales for Christmas so playing spidey first, very simple pick up and play, the graphics are simply incredible. Give me a game like this any day, easy to play for an hour or so when I'm free from the school run, work, housework etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭brady12

days gone is pushing to be in my top 5 games of all time . granted i played it at end of 2020 and was a much improved then game then when it was released . the repetitiveness which some people hated i loved . i'd love a sequel but i'd say sony would push to change a lot of what i loved to appeal to masses so maybe it's best left as is .

• Advertisement

There is no sequel, it was confirmed recently. One of the lead guys has been having a whinge about it to the press and comparing its sales figures to GOT which isn't out half as long.

i know . colin moriarty interviewing them soon enough so they will be whinging even more .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I thought he fucked off to be a right-wing history youtube nutjob. Imagine being so annoying that even Kinda Funny can't put up with you.............

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Speaking of Days Gone... I'm playing Days Gone.

I'm maybe 7 hours in or so. Have to admit, my feelings are mixed.

Pros: I like the world they've created, and most of the gameplay mechanics. The story and characters are okay, still early days yet so can't judge it too much. General gameplay is okay. There's also little of the usual open-world busywork. Everything feels like it has some purpose, without adding in loads of pointless collectathons.

Cons: Quite a few unfortunately. The survival aspect is offset by there being far too many supplies to the point where you can rarely pick most of it up (compared to TLOU where you really need to pick up absolutely everything you can). The controls, particularly the survival wheel, can be pretty awful especially in the heat of battle, and I seem to be completely unable to remember that R1 is dodge because it just feels unnatural for some reason. There seems to be no indication as to what time it is in game (unless I'm missing something) which means twice now it's changed to night while I've been trying to find infestation nests and have had to abandon because of the amount of freakers. Trying to find the nests are also needlessly difficult to the point where the last two areas I've done I've ended up googling the location of the last nest in the area because I couldn't find it as some of them are spread out too far (eg. Graveyard area had 2/3 in/beside the graveyard, and one a good bit further down the road).

Numerous times a ? appears on the map, I go to it and there's either nothing there or it's a bunch of enemies, so thanks for that. And something that's started happening when playing last night is the random sniper ambushes, where you get absolutely lamped out of it while riding (sometimes I've seen the laser sight, but there's still nothing you can really do to avoid it). That has just felt like pure bullsh*t every single time, and it's neither fun nor a challenge, and is leading me to want to use Fast Travel more when available.

I took down one horde so far which was a pain in the hole. Was trying to lead them on my bike to gas tank and explosive barrels, but because there's no free-aim on the bike (again, unless I'm missing something) I couldn't target the explosives to shoot. Mainly ended up using 3 attractor things to get them near a gas lorry and then blew it up and picked off the stragglers then. Came across another horde coming down from a mountain but no obvious way to take most of them down so just went around them.

I also think progression in terms of skill points and XP are unbalanced. Progression seems very slow and some things that you need a skill point for (such as Focus shooting) should have been available from the start, as it's clearly an intrinsic ability in the game. I played for about 2-3 hours last night and got 1 Skill Point despite little downtime. Most was spent doing pretty big story missions.

I'm still going to keep playing because none of the above is egregiously bad enough to put me off the game (though every time I get hit by a sniper I want to quit the game), and I'm sure as I level up I'll mow through everything much easier, but I can see why the game seems pretty divisive. It's how I ride the bike in the game; mostly middle of the road with occasional swerves/shortcuts to either side.

Bring up your skill/map menu to see the time.

Do all the ambush camps and it'll show the infestation nest locations.

The ? is some sort of short side quest/survior thing. If you don't get there quick enough the person ends up dying.

• Advertisement

I was sure I looked at the map screen for a time but must have scanned over it.

I was thinking the ? might be survivors but it gives you f*ck all time to get there to save them. Other times I've encountered survivors trapped in a car though with no ? or anything and have been able to save them and direct them to a camp. Again though, most of the time I get there it's just a pack of freakers or wolves so it's making me not want to bother trying to get to them.

As for the ambush camps/infestation nests, that just seems backwards to me.

i like him. i don't always agree with what he says but he speaks his mind which i like these days every one towing the line too much . They have the biggest playstation patreon now i think about 11,000 subs he doing very well. I spent about 4 years out gaming and i came back in presuming he still with Kinda Funny . I got some shock . internet made me believe at start colin was some sort racist sexist loon but he isn't . just says stupid stuff . i like most Kinda Funny crew bar Tim gettys and i'm not Greg Millers biggest fan he is fake as hell he a different person off camera . funniest thing is some people trying make out Colin is racist when his girlfriend is black , one of his co hosts is cuban and Lord cognito is co hosting defining duke !

I don't think he was ever accused of saying anything racist, or at least that wasn't part of why he left Kinda Funny. He made an inflammatory tweet on International Women's Day which wasn't overly bad, but from what I remember it was just the final straw as what he wanted to do in Kinda Funny and what the rest of them wanted to do just didn't match, and when they didn't defend him when he got criticised for his tweet they knew it was time to fully part ways. Colin was always very libertarian, free-speech etc, but was needlessly antagonistic with it and often at their own audience.

I did enjoy him on Kinda Funny and tried to follow him for a while when he started to do his own thing, but he was doing a bunch of history stuff and I gradually fell off. But I think the split was good for both sides (loss of friendship aside). Colin was able to forge his own thing and is doing well, and I really enjoy what Kinda Funny is doing now.

I always found him to be nasty, spiteful and extremely condescending on IGN and especially KF. I was surprised it took them so long to get rid of him.

ya he seems be a lot mellow now . i think a lot of that is just hot air . at least you get what you see i prefer that to some one who fake . think he making a lot more money then KF now . i listen to ps i love you , xcast. , defining duke & scared symbols every week but i find colins stuff far superior . Ps i love you poor without Greg but even with him i think Xcast is better pod with Paris , Snow bike & Gary . I think they vastly under use Barrett ? i prefer listening to him then Janet Garcia any day and maybe1 or 2 more .

I consider Tim Gettys far more fake than Greg, as I think Greg is just more of an entertainer and can dial it up/down as required, whereas Tim will feign excitement/outrage mostly to match whoever he's talking to. I don't mind Janet, I think she doesn't always get her point across well but I think she raises better points and has a better analysis than Barrett. Though Barrett's series of videos on the Arkham series was fantastic. Blessing and Andy are both fantastic too, as are all the part-timers they have (Tamoor, Gary Whitta, Parris Lilly).

That's why I think they're better without Colin. Colin can be such a big voice in a group that it can drown out everyone else. A lot of the group pods on Kinda Funny with him always felt like everyone else discussing the topic, then give Colin the floor for the last 20-30 minutes and let him do his thing.

Must give Sacred Symbols a try, see what it's like. But I mostly listen/watch these things on Youtube in the background during work (Thank you Work From Home!) which is why I tend to just put Kinda Funny on in the background.

Totally agree with you over tim.

And over Colin too to a degree . But i think you need some one with cojones on pod with him to push back on him . Luckily Chris ray gun & Dustin on sacred symbols even though they are his employee will push back on him . But i like his 20min rants .

I think Sacred symbols , easy allies nextlander are best gaming pods out there . i'm a patreon to the previous two . prob should do same with nextlander . They are a level above likes minn max , KF & Giant bomb etc . Giant bomb would want get ben pack and make sure danny on every week because they are rapidly going down hill

I was enjoying the solo show Colin was starting to do on KF before he left, kind of a 'Last Week Tonight' type thing about a topic in gaming. That was him in his absolute element. It's why I was excited for when he started his own thing, but like I said he spent too long doing history/politics stuff that I just dropped off and never went back. The solo show Blessing does is good though, there's been some really great episodes.

he talks a small bit about politics and history but it's all gaming now . so you will love it id say .

bleesimg show only on you tube though ? watched one and was good. drive a lot with work so pods mostly for me.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's one of the only things they do that's Youtube only.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think Colin Moriarty going around with the Gadsden flag as his avatar for so long pretty firmly ruled him out as someone I could ever take seriously 😅

Colin once said that systemic racism in America was a myth. He has made numerous statements like this, all around the notion that poor people are poor cos they don't work hard enough. It is the standard libertarian 'bootstrap' nonsense.

He is an extremely unpleasant individual.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't know enough about him as an individual and the various controversies to comment much - for all I know he could be a perfectly friendly and charismatic person. But given he proudly, aggressively boasts his libertarian credentials ('notaxation' being his actual Twitter username) I know he fundamentally comes from an uncharitable, cruel mindset when it comes to the poor and disadvantaged. And that ultimately will always colour my opinion of him, no matter how well he talks about video games. There's more than enough good, thoughtful video game commentators out there without having to listen to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,680 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

yah it's a common thing... takes a lot of discipline to stick with one game while not getting distracted by sales or whatever new thing others are discussing.

I tend to only buy the 30+ hour games when they are really cheap (less than €10 say) as I know I'll only play them for around 4-5 hours, but then I feel I got my money's worth out of it. I do prefer indies as a result since they can be completed in my 3-4 hour/game time scale.

So if I get 5 hours of enjoyment out of it, but start getting bored, then I feel I got the €10 worth out of it.

I'd play maybe 3-4 games to completion in a year (or more if they are nice and short).. the rest I play until I've had enough of them.

But I have to balance the 10 other hobbies I have too, not to mention work and life 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It's why I'm playing Days Gone. It's been in the back pocket for so long that with the games to come in Feb/March, if I don't play it now I never will. Also want to try knock out The Forgotten City before Feb comes too.

Advertisement