Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgusting homophobic attack in Portlaoise

Options
  • 29-06-2018 3:58am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I’m sure a few of you on here have heard of the despicable violent homophobic attack on a gay male couple in the midlands town of Portlaoise. Ireland may have some-sex marriage, an openly gay Taoiseach, a thriving Pride week etc. but sadly these vile incidents still occur.:(:mad:

I think it’s time for specific hate crimes to be made law here, with minimum mandatory sentencing.

Link here:
    https://gcn.ie/dublin-man-husband-recovering-vicious-homophobic-attack-laois/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

That's horrific. My heart goes out to them - to be the target of such hatred and violence is shocking and leaves mental as well as physical scars. I agree with mandatory minimum sentencing and hope that if/when the attackers are caught and convicted that the judge throws the book at them. It sounds as if it was a premeditated attack -- why go around a town in the early hours of the morning carrying hurleys if not to attack people?
    So sad to think that this happens to anyone - best wishes to them both for a speedy recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

It may have been a homophobic attack, but anyone in that area at that time of the night is likely to be attacked.
    It's the only part of the town that I wouldn't go near at night (or even during the day, it's a rough area where the fire service and Gardai get attacked regularly).
    I wonder if the guys knew this?
    Not victim blaming, you should be able to walk anywhere, anytime, but you're more likely to be attacked in this area.
    Hope he makes a speedy recovery, there's a gofundme page that he setup for his dental/medical expenses that folks can donate to...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Absolutely horrible thing to happen.
    I'm going to say something that may be unpopular but here goes. The people who did this would do this to anyone, black,white,gay,straight etc etc.
    We've all seen them, they try to intimidate you and if you challenge them or they believe you have challenged them they attack.
    This type of person doesn't discriminate on who they attack. Are they racist, Homophobic or sexist? They probably are and will probably use derogatory language no matter who they encounter.

The OP is absolutely right, we have one of the most tolerant societies in the world but nowhere in the world had perfect people who all hold the same belief and opinions. I believe that acceptance in sociey means that you dont have laws that offer you special treatment based on gender or sexual orientation. Rape is rape, assault is assault, murder is murder. The action is never excusable no matter what way you define the attackers motive.
    The goal should be violent assault is reduced over all, set rules in place for that. Why should a vicious attack against a white woman recieve a lesser sentence than a vicious assualt against a black woman.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Those poor men. That's awful, those pictures are hard hitting.

They have achieved nearly double their GoFundMe target so hopefully that goes some way towards helping them move past this, at least their medical and dental needs will be looked after. Hope this doesn't take a heavy toll on heir mental wellbeing too. Wishing them a speedy recovery

Portlaoise doesn't have a reputation as a rough town (compared to some of the surrounding ones anyway) but I've only been there a few times and I'm not familiar with the Harpur's Lane area where this happened.

Hopefully there won't be any more instances of homophobia as it's pride season, there are sometimes incidents at this time of the year in the news (though not serious assaults like this one).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

You’re taking a risk walking around almost anywhere in this country at night. There is no deterrent for these rats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Please explain the logic of them going to a known rough area...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I don’t think this in particular was a homophobic attack, I recon in the wrong place at the wrong time. This group of scum who did this were walking around with hurls just looking for someone to jump..
    While I imagine homophobic language was used when the gang realised the two guys were married..
    As mentioned the area it happened is rough enough and is a no go area for many..

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Please explain the logic of them going to a known rough area...

The logic seems fairly simple? There is areas in every town that has dodgy characters at night and you are probably best not walking down them alone at night for your own safety. That shouldn't be the way things are but unfortunatley it is.

I wonder was this attack actually homophobic in nature or just a random attack? Hard to tell from the article.

Anyways Im not a frequent poster on these boards. I hope the guys who got attacked a speedy recovery and I hope the f**kers who did it get caught and spend a long time behind bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,827 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

harr wrote: »
    I don’t think this in particular was a homophobic attack, I recon in the wrong place at the wrong time. This group of scum who did this were walking around with hurls just looking for someone to jump..
    While I imagine homophobic language was used when the gang realised the two guys were married..
    As mentioned the area it happened is rough enough and is a no go area for many..

This .

A group of jumped up little fcukers who think they can do what they want , to whoever they want , and get away with it . They are running riot , with no consequences whatsoever, and the decent , law abiding residents are the one's bearing the brunt of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i'm from portlaosie. its chock ridden of scumbgs with nothing better to do than violence.

man, i'm sorry to hear about this. its disgusting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What? It wasn't a homophobic attack but they used homophobic language? I am completely missing all the logic there.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

What? It wasn't a homophobic attack but they used homophobic language? I am completely missing all the logic there.

I assume he means it wasn't a premiditated homophobic attack. As in the guys where looking to fight anyone and when they found out they where gay they used it to fuel there hate. They didn't specifically go out to find gay people.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I assume he means it wasn't a premiditated homophobic attack. As in the guys where looking to fight anyone and when they found out they where gay they used it to fuel there hate. They didn't specifically go out to find gay people.

This makes no sense. A homophobic attack is a homophobic atrack.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Not that hard to understand...these scum would have kicked the **** out of anybody..if the couple were black they would have used racist language...
    We don’t know for sure but it doesn’t look like this group went out looking for a gay couple to bash..because I know of the area I recon they were just in the wrong place at wrong time..and they dared answered them back when a comment was made..

This makes no sense. A homophobic attack is a homophobic atrack.
    They weren’t targeted because they were gay ...

Not that hard to understand...these scum would have kicked the **** out of anybody..if the couple were black they would have used racist language...
    We don’t know for sure but it doesn’t look like this group went out looking for a gay couple to bash..because I know of the area I recon they were just in the wrong place at wrong time..and they dared answered them back when a comment was made..

Frankly I find this quite bizarre. If homophobic language is used then it is a homophobic attack. I dont think you can distinguish between an attack being premeditated or not to determine if it homophobic. I find it a bizarre way of attempting to airbrush the homophobia out of the picture. It is basically saying "oh well yeah they were homophobic but they werent really homophobic because they didnt plan it" - Very very bizzare attempts to downplay and deny homophobia.

Terry Pratchet

They weren’t targeted because they were gay ...

Who says?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Who says?

Oh get a grip will you? It has been spelled out to you yet you harp on about it making no sense. Gay or not they would have been attacked by these scumbags either way.

You are choosing to. Its been explained perfectly well. Anyone would have been attacked. If it was a ginger haired man, they would have called him a few choice insults about his hair.... Hardly a ginger phobic attack. A fat couple would have had insults about their weight... Not a fatshaming attack.

This was a random attack. They happened to use some insults about the victims sexuality.

Wailin wrote: »
    Oh get a grip will you? It has been spelled out to you yet you harp on about it making no sense. Gay or not they would have been attacked by these scumbags either way.

Sorry what?

Just because a few randomers say a few things thats it.

Theres no need to be snappy at me.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

You are choosing to. Its been explained perfectly well. Anyone would have been attacked. If it was a ginger haired man, they would have called him a few choice insults about his hair.... Hardly a ginger phobic attack. A fat couple would have had insults about their weight... Not a fatshaming attack.

This was a random attack. They happened to use some insults about the victims sexuality.

We dont know what happened. If homophobic language was used then its a homophobic attack. Not really sure why there is a huge effort to deny homophobia here. Whats that about?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

A homophobic attack would imply that these people were attacked specifically because they are a gay couple.
    Posters who know the area well are stating that it’s a no go area and anyone walking there at night is highly likely to be similarly attacked.

I disagree. But it can't be explained any clearer than I, and a few others, have done already so I don't know what else to say to you

Why do some people want this attack to be a targeted homophobic attack so bad...so they can be more outraged , would everyone be so outraged if it was heterosexual couple ?
    How do I know it wasn’t a targeted attack, simple answer I don’t know...but the odds of a gay couple encountering this group of scum just looking for gay people on this lane way at that hour of the night is slim..
    Of course the chance is there that they were followed, but one report mentioned they encountered this group by chance and the couple in question had left a BBQ in a nearby house...

splinter65 wrote: »
    A homophobic attack would imply that these people were attacked specifically because they are a gay couple.
    Posters who know the area well are stating that it’s a no go area and anyone walking there at night is highly likely to be similarly attacked.

If there was homophobic language used then it is a homophobic attack. Why are you trying to deny that?

Terry Pratchet

I disagree. But it can't be explained any clearer than I, and a few others, have done already so I don't know what else to say to you

Perhaps you could try explain and justify why you are trying to deny and downplay homophobia. Because that is what you are trying to do here.

Terry Pratchet

The attackers where not specifically targeting gay people. It makes a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

If there was homophobic language used then it is a homophobic attack.

Would you agree the term 'homophobic attack' insinuates premeditation.

Why do some people want this attack to be a targeted homophobic attack so bad...so they can be more outraged , would everyone be so outraged if it was heterosexual couple ?
    How do I know it wasn’t a targeted attack, simple answer I don’t know...but the odds of a gay couple encountering this group of scum just looking for gay people on this lane way at that hour of the night is slim..
    Of course the chance is there that they were followed, but one report mentioned they encountered this group by chance and the couple in question had left a BBQ in a nearby house...

I dont know what happened. I am simply saying that if homophobic language was used then it is a homophobic attack. Frankly its quite bizarre that people are trying that its not. It really is bizarre to say "they were homophobic but they werent really homophobic cause they didnt plan it". It really is absurd to say that homophobia can only occur if it is planned and premeditated.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Peatys wrote: »
    Would you agree the term 'homophobic attack' insinuates premeditation.

No. If there is homophobic language used during the attack then its a homophobic attack. Its bizarre to say "there was homophobia in the attack but it wasnt homophobic because it wasnt planned"

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement