Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro14 Season 2018-2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

More talk in SA of the Pro 14 becoming the Pro 16 with the Pumas and Griquas joing up within the next two years. An Irish conference, a Welsh conference, a South African conference and a Scots/Italian one seems to be the plan. Top 8 teams would then go forward to the playoffs (presumably with a maximum of two teams per country).

Money talks as ever, but you'd wonder how South African rugby could consider the efforts of the Cheetas and the Kings to be such a success that they want to get another two teams involved. Would also affect Irish rugby badly if only two Irish sides could make the post season out of eight qualifying teams (compared to four Irish sides in the last six this year).

They're both Currie Cup teams aren't they?

Think bit in bold applies to Pro14 even more so. Both SA teas are both 2nd last in their conference as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

If we are going to bring weaker teams in I'd rather they were Spanish and Georgian.

I was reading that 25,000 turned up to the Spanish final last year. If a Spanish team even got 5,000 to their home games week on week they'd already be ahead of 3 or 4 current teams in the Pro 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭PMC83

bilston wrote: »
    If we are going to bring weaker teams in I'd rather they were Spanish and Georgian.

I was reading that 25,000 turned up to the Spanish final last year. If a Spanish team even got 5,000 to their home games week on week they'd already be ahead of 3 or 4 current teams in the Pro 14.

Totally agree, spanish team and Gregoria would be the business, nothing to gain from two Currie Cup teams

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Judging by the last round of fixtures, it looks like the playoffs will be:

Leinster vs Munster/Benetton
    Glasgow vs Ulster/Connacht

4th place HCC playoff: Cardiff vs Scarlets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Reporting about 16 team league seems to be coming from South Africa, must be someone there flying their own kite. Impossible to imagine the IRFU agreeing to that structure given the strength of provinces and impossible to justify a South African conference given how bad the two teams have been so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

16 teams, 4 conferences, play teams in own conference home and away, play all the other teams once either home or away, totaling 18 matches.
    Then,
    Option 1)
    Top 6 teams based on points total go through to playoffs.
    Or,
    Option 2)
    Winner of each conference gets home quarter final against the 4 teams with highest points total that didn’t top a conference.

Either way, can’t have a guaranteed two teams from each conference, the second placed team in one conference could be way down the table.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,138 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

16 teams, 4 conferences, play teams in own conference home and away, play all the other teams once either home or away, totaling 18 matches.
    Then,
    Option 1)
    Top 6 teams based on points total go through to playoffs.
    Or,
    Option 2)
    Winner of each conference gets home quarter final against the 4 teams with highest points total that didn’t top a conference.

Either way, can’t have a guaranteed two teams from each conference, the second placed team in one conference could be way down the table.

That kind of format was quickly ditched by super rugby as no one liked it.... And it made for a VERY uneven competition.

The joburg lions were pretty much waltzing to a home semi final, not in the least by racking up easy 20 points against the kings and cheetahs each season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Judging by the last round of fixtures, it looks like the playoffs will be:

Leinster vs Munster/Benetton
    Glasgow vs Ulster/Connacht

4th place HCC playoff: Cardiff vs Scarlets

Glasgow v Edinburgh will be interesting, as will Cardiff v Ospreys.

I see Sean Kennedy is leaving Edinburgh. A possible signing for one of the provinces?

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/374871/limerick-scrum-half-leaving-edinburgh-rugby-after-eight-seasons.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

I see Sean Kennedy is leaving Edinburgh. A possible signing for one of the provinces?

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/374871/limerick-scrum-half-leaving-edinburgh-rugby-after-eight-seasons.html

He would be an NIQ so probably not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

66 appearances over 8 years doesn't seem like a whole lot. Would be surprised if he was tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

PMC83 wrote: »
    bilston wrote: »

Totally agree, spanish team and Gregoria would be the business, nothing to gain from two Currie Cup teams

Spanish teams don't compete in the European Super Cup (or whatever it is called) because they don't think the investment is worth it. So I doubt they'd pay into the pro14.

He would be an NIQ so probably not

Ah I see he played for Scottish 7s. Nevermind then...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I’m very surprised he’s being let go, i think the SRU have mandated Pyrgos plays. Fowles is gone too which is fair enough but the back up is Shiels who’s AIL standard at best but he’s 21 so maybe they think he’s the understudy for now.

Lots of fans becoming increasingly exasperated by Pyrgos though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Welsh rugby twitter will help pass this monday afternoon

https://twitter.com/simonrug/status/1117780175935168512?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Any pro 14 clubs short at fullback or center that might take a punt on Folau now that his contract is terminated. It’d be fantastic to see a player of that quality playing regularly in the pro 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Any pro 14 clubs short at fullback or center that might take a punt on Folau now that his contract is terminated. It’d be fantastic to see a player of that quality playing regularly in the pro 14.

Is this a troll? The guy's name is dirt in this sport, I'd be surprised if he gets a contract with any top tier league.

How do you think it would go when Nigel Owens has to ref a game he plays? No doubt Owens would be professional, but he shouldn't be put in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Not a hope any of them touch him with a bargepole. It would be PR suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Jackson was pr suicide and a much less valuable player yet a French club bit the bullet and considered it worth it so why wouldn’t anyone now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Jackson was pr suicide and a much less valuable player yet a French club bit the bullet and considered it worth it so why wouldn’t anyone now?

Jackson was found innocent of a crime and apologised for the impact of his actions and words. Even with that, he had to go France. Its possible Folau might get picked up in France but hard to see it in Ireland or the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

You said Pro14 sides. No hope of any of them going near him ever. The French teams were somewhat detached from Jackson's situation compared to the media coverage he garnered in Ireland and England. Without getting into old debates, his situation was different too in terms of showing contrition and apologising. Folau is quite the opposite and he appears ready to double down on his views.

He is a huge name and his sacking has made news throughout the rugby world so his antics will be well covered in France too. Perhaps a French team will approach him in time but he's absolutely toxic for them to make an approach currently.

Mourad retweeted criticism of Folau so it's safe to say Toulon aren't interested. I don't think any club will go near him tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭b.gud

Mourad retweeted criticism of Folau so it's safe to say Toulon aren't interested. I don't think any club will go near him tbh.

I wonder would Japan be his best bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Blut2

I'd bet on Japan for a year, boredom to set in, then possibly some fake contrition / an apology. Then a return to high level rugby, probably in France where there'd be less media focus on it.

That or he doubles down on the religious nuttery and gives up on the game entirely to become a preacher or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

A USA league team maybe. If he keeps his head down for a while I'd be amazed if a big club didn't take a punt on him at some point in the next couple of years. Saracens aren't exactly rushing to get rid of Billy Vunipola for example.

For all that many are offended, you can bet there are other pro rugby players from devout christian backgrounds that would share his views but are clever enough not to publish those views on social media. I'd imagine that would include players contracted within the Irish provinces as well, potentially even Irish senior squad members.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Welsh rugby twitter will help pass this monday afternoon

https://twitter.com/simonrug/status/1117780175935168512?s=19

He could knock himself out of the Champions Cup this weekend.

He could knock himself out of the Champions Cup this weekend.

Would Cardiff sit him for the game against his future employer?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'm not so sure the Japanese would be too keen on signing Folau, given Christianity in Japan is very much a minority religion, and missionaries and people like Folau who are outspoken and rather abrupt in sharing their views go against Japanese culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭PMC83

• Advertisement

How would European qualification work in a four group scenario? The merit basis must be retained.

Advertisement