Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Riddle me this brexit fans. How can JRM's ERG have 60 members and a rumoured 20 more at their meeting tonight yet the 22 committee doesn't have the votes?

Presumably they were taking the political temperature first.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Havockk

Pound going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Presumably they were taking the political temperature first.

Now I'm starting this with I assume so expect to be wrong. But. I assume they are all fundamentally hard core brexit supports , May is attempting to deliver a soft one so why not get rid of her?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Now I'm starting this with I assume so expect to be wrong. But. I assume they are all fundamentally hard core brexit supports , May is attempting to deliver a soft one so why not get rid of her?

Because the hard core Brexiters are very much in the minority when it comes to Tor MPS? Its why talk of Mogg been PM is so silly as there is no genuine route to him to that spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Havockk

I'm guessing timing is the issue. They would want to wait until it was too late to negotiate anything else. So any time now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

May has sent a fairly hard hitting letter back to Boris. It’s like east Enders at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Havockk wrote: »
    Pound going down.

I'm waiting on it to hit parity with the Euro (then buy ALL the goods! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,564 ✭✭✭✭briany

Infini wrote: »
    I'm waiting on it to hit parity with the Euro (then buy ALL the goods! :D)

That sweet spot where the Pound hits parity with the Euro but before the UK officially leaves on WTO terms, so that we have to pay a big chunk of customs on what we're buying.

“We will vote down the deal unless it meets our six tests,” a party source said. “Even if we are walking down the corridor with Tory Brexiters, we are still voting on the lines we have set ourselves.”
    So to put the last 3 days into context. The British government has imploded over a plan half of them don't agree with, doesn't have the numbers to make it though parliament and will be rejected by the EU
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/09/labour-poised-to-vote-down-brexit-deal

Johnson's PPS (what we would call a Junior Minister) has resigned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Total implosion of UK Government.. What with the UK's Brexit and US Trump debacles, Putin must be laughing his balding little head off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

May has sent a fairly hard hitting letter back to Boris. It’s like east Enders at this stage

Do you have a link to it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Here you go:

1-2537cee8ef.jpg

2-d148145ce4.jpg

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 67,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Faisal Islam from C4 news on Twitter.

"No Boris is better than a bad Boris" :D

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1016408871215226881

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Is the General Election - Labour Government - second refrendum option possible here? Hard to see why on earth she would call one, but equally hard to see any other outcome but a hardline Tory coup. Is it conceivable that she would seek a dissolution purely to deny them this and is that even possible under their makey-up constitution?

I know they have the Fixed Term Parliaments Act but May was able to circumnavigate that last time.

Hard to predict how the public would react if she did it again. She would be essentially signing her abdication, surely?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Jeremy Hunt new foreign secretary

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Quite an extraordinary couple of days.

May thought, or at least the impression was created, that she had arrived at a consensus position for the cabinet. They may not all agree, but had been convinced by the argument that this was an acceptable way forward.

Within a few days the whole thing has come crashing down. The spin of course will be that TM was prepared for this, that she is better off without them if they can't agree. But fundamentally TM has been shown up to be unable to even bring those that she has worked most closely with, is is the leader to, along with her idea of where Brexit is going. Remembering that this 3rd way was as a result of the previous 2 other plans put forward by TM being roundly rejected by her cabinet and then the EU.

In any normal democracy TM would have already resigned. The latest BRexit Secretary, I mean why is he coming on board. Has he suddenly moved to the soft brexit camp, as only two weeks ago is was all for a hard brexit? And if not why is she taking hi on. Surely the time for trying to get everybody working together is long gone. TM, as PM, has stated her preference. It is not a proposal. This is, she believes after listening to all sides, the way forward. So surely the people she wants working for her at least agree on the path forward?

TM may, or may not, limp on. But she has no authority and the Tories know it, Labour knows it, the media know it and the EU certainly know it. Why would the EU enter into any agreement with TM knowing that:
    1) she probably won't get the rest of the government to agree and,
    2) that even if she does she hasn't a hope of making it stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,100 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Has anyone told him Boris isn't coming?

https://twitter.com/MiRo_SPD/status/1016301264257372161

• Registered Users Posts: 13,564 ✭✭✭✭briany

sdanseo wrote: »
    Is the General Election - Labour Government - second refrendum option possible here? Hard to see why on earth she would call one, but equally hard to see any other outcome but a hardline Tory coup. Is it conceivable that she would seek a dissolution purely to deny them this and is that even possible under their makey-up constitution?

I know they have the Fixed Term Parliaments Act but May was able to circumnavigate that last time.

Hard to predict how the public would react if she did it again. She would be essentially signing her abdication, surely?

It's hard to say who'd even win another GE over there. Remain supporters appear to have no credible party, since both main parties' official position advocates for Brexit in one form or another. Maybe if Labour got the numbers, they could attempt a coalition with the Lib Dems and/or the SNP, and then we'd see a compromise leading to a second ref, but a second ref would also be further polarising. And if Labour did make a coalition with the SNP, they'd be accused of bringing regional politics into the heart of government, like with the Con-DUP, and allowing that to hold the whole process to ransom.

Pessimistic, but I can only see more chaos. The only positive being a change in flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

This is for Boris- just to prove that it is possible to bring up a big shine..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Quite an extraordinary couple of days.

May thought, or at least the impression was created, that she had arrived at a consensus position for the cabinet. They may not all agree, but had been convinced by the argument that this was an acceptable way forward.

Within a few days the whole thing has come crashing down. The spin of course will be that TM was prepared for this, that she is better off without them if they can't agree. But fundamentally TM has been shown up to be unable to even bring those that she has worked most closely with, is is the leader to, along with her idea of where Brexit is going. Remembering that this 3rd way was as a result of the previous 2 other plans put forward by TM being roundly rejected by her cabinet and then the EU.

In any normal democracy TM would have already resigned. The latest BRexit Secretary, I mean why is he coming on board. Has he suddenly moved to the soft brexit camp, as only two weeks ago is was all for a hard brexit? And if not why is she taking hi on. Surely the time for trying to get everybody working together is long gone. TM, as PM, has stated her preference. It is not a proposal. This is, she believes after listening to all sides, the way forward. So surely the people she wants working for her at least agree on the path forward?

TM may, or may not, limp on. But she has no authority and the Tories know it, Labour knows it, the media know it and the EU certainly know it. Why would the EU enter into any agreement with TM knowing that:
    1) she probably won't get the rest of the government to agree and,
    2) that even if she does she hasn't a hope of making it stick.

I don't think May thought it was all done and dusted in Chequers. She knew she wouldn't get embarrassed by MPs walking out of the meeting. She would have seen the resignations coming once they left the meeting.

She will work with parties across parliament to get support. This way when ( not if ) the EU reject the deal the blame can be passed to all parties involved.

It's a case now of if opposition parties fall for if or let the Tories fall on the sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,883 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Have to agree with this, did Johnson even mention her before he left? RTE giving it more coverage than BBC or Sky. The chamber had about 10 people in it for the briefing earlier:

https://twitter.com/Max_Fisher/status/1016324334493880320

• Registered Users Posts: 17,883 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

Thargor wrote: »

To be fair, I don't think Malcolm Tucker would stand for this sh*tshow!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,625 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Theresa May makes Jim Hacker looks competent.

https://twitter.com/ajayjagota/status/1016415814931615745

If this is believed we could be witnessing one of shortest lived cabinets

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Letters written out but not delivered until after @POTUS visit
    Ah , that might explain the lull , rather than a coup

Then again a week is a long time in politics, and that would give May some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

May is playing hard ball here with the promotion of Hancock and Hunt who are remainers. She is giving the leavers nothing.

Also

for those who don't like clicking, Mogg doesn't feel they have the numbers to get rid of May so focus will switch to the white paper.

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1016414362213351424

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement