Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The DUP don't care because NI is a UK largely public subvention economy. Nothing will change for their supported because they're mostly employed by the state.

I'm unsure why this whole process is so drawn out. Because of WTO rules, there is little wiggle room in a custom arrangement. The EU should simply offer one of the preexisting arrangements e. G. Norway, Turkey or Canada or just full on Brexit.

As for NI, that's still a UK problem regardless of the EU. They committed in the GFA to stating that they have no selfish interest in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The DUP don't care because NI is a UK largely public subvention economy. Nothing will change for their supported because they're mostly employed by the state.

I'm unsure why this while prices is so drawn out. Because of WTO rules, there is little wiggle room in a custom arrangement. The EU should simply offer one of the preexisting arrangements e. G. Norway, Turkey or Canada or just full on Brexit.

As for NI, that's still a UK problem regardless of the EU. They committed in the GFA to stating that they have no selfish interest in NI.

Not to mention that DUP MPs reportedly have significant internal affairs to deal with ...

• Registered Users Posts: 66,898 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not to mention that DUP MPs reportedly have significant internal affairs to deal with ...

Hearing rumours myself. Is there a link to the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Hearing rumours myself. Is there a link to the story?

All injunctioned reportedly, so nothing more concrete than Twitter to date.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The EU should simply offer one of the preexisting arrangements e. G. Norway, Turkey or Canada or just full on Brexit.

Mr-Barnier-believes-the-only-options-available-to-the-UK-are-Canada-or-Japan-style-deals-1200956.jpg

You mean like this ?

It's the UK's very own Red Lines that rule out most of those deals.

The EU's insistance on the ECJ and four freedoms as a minimum for a good deal has always been front and centre.

The UK view is still
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44756843
    "We are being generous to the EU, we are showing flexibility," he said. "If the EU is not generous and flexible, we may have to contemplate walking away without a deal.

it's the same old
    "we'd like to cancel our club membership, but still use the facilities.
    But only on the condition that we can get half the seats on a parallel members commitee that sets special by-laws just for us instead of the normal rules that the normal commitee imposes on all the other members."

Note:
    Ukraine may be asking for EU membership in 2020 just in case the UK think they will be the centre of attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

All injunctioned reportedly, so nothing more concrete than Twitter to date.

Journalist or two on Twitter claiming DUP will pull the plug tomorrow as a result of above injunctioned scandal.

If true, tomorrow will be a tumultuous day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

David Davis has resigned as the chaos continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

The words rats and sinking ship come to mind

Here we go! Wonder if sense might incidentally break out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It's true.

Just got a BBC news alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So who's next ? David Davis is the leader of the revolt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

It's true.

Just got a BBC news alert.

The race is on to contain the fire in government now. So where do we go from here, Leadership contest? Election?

Corbyn as PM and JRM as leader of the opposition?

BBC news reporting it.

BBC news reporting it.

Seen on twitter he's taken an other minister with him. Rumour at the moment of course

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Seen on twitter he's taken an other minister with him. Rumour at the moment of course

Foxy?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This is no surprise to me. I don't think he had any influence in the way things were going. He fudged his job, and probably resigned before he was pushed.

Interesting tweet about another minister going also, but we will see tomorrow.

The Telegraph will be in meltdown.

At 'least' one other according to Laura K (BBC)

May and the DUP are toast.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Foxy?

No futher details I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

No futher details I'm afraid.

I see rumours of Steve Baker.

• Advertisement

I see rumours of Steve Baker.

Yep Laura K mentioning his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

No doubt gove will angle his way into that seat now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Here we go! :D

The can kicking has come to an end, we're going to see some action at long last.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

This is no surprise to me. I don't think he had any influence in the way things were going. He fudged his job, and probably resigned before he was pushed.

It's no surprise to anyone. There's never been any definition of Brexit nor of what the British electorate were voting for. So any decision would bring out the nayers.

The EU would be doing a huge favour for the Tories by simply stating the limited options available.

But it's a pity the UK government didn't do the same when setting out the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Fox liked a tweet calling the deal "turd rolled in glitter". Will he go aswell?

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1016026620149321733

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Thargor wrote: »
    Here we go! :D

The can kicking has come to an end, we're going to see some action at long last.

Action Yes, but progress? I would not hold my breath.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

From June 10 https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/971893/david-davis-brexit-theresa-may-resignation-pact
    The furious Brexit Secretary agreed with Steve Baker and Suella Braverman that should Mrs May go ahead with her plan to dodge a hard border with Northern Ireland, all three would quit on Thursday.

Today
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/07/08/david-davis-resigns-brexit-secretary/
    Other ministers in his department, including Steve Baker and Suella Braverman are said to have agreed a "you go, we go" pact with Mr Davis, suggesting Mrs May could find herself having to replace the entire Brexit department

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It's no surprise to anyone. There's never been any definition of Brexit nor of what the British electorate were voting for. So any decision would bring out the nayers.

The EU would be doing a huge favour for the Tories by simply stating the limited options available.

But it's a pity the UK government didn't do the same when setting out the vote.

Blame Cameron for that one. Trying to speak out of both sides of his mouth just to keep the Eurosceptics happy.

He will go down in history for causing this debacle for Conservative Party reasons, but the effects are for everyone.

• Advertisement

Suella Braverman gone too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement