Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chit chat number nein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Willfarman wrote: »
    Funnily the smell of a Chinese can send cats running too..

We were on the beer one Sunday a couple years ago and a few of us went into a chinese . There was a cat dead out on the road and some lad caught it by the tail , brought it in and slapped it on the counter . "Ye won't get anymore till ye pay for the last few " and walked back out . The queue got short pretty quick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Putting out bales yesterday and felt the tractor 'drop'. Thought I'd gone into a hole or something. Looked out the window and there was a wheel lying on the ground beside me! I've broken the knuckle bit that the front wheel is attached! Now I'm thankful for a good neighbor who is coming for the next couple of days to help feed until I get the part fixed. Yet another neighbor is doing the fixin for me! Wow, I'm useless on my own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Today is the feast day of St. Martin of Tours. It is also known as Martinmas. Here's a little bit about the tradition of killing fowl or sheep on Martinmas eve.
    http://irisharchaeology.ie/2016/11/animal-sacrifice-and-blood-letting-saint-martins-feast-in-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

KatyMac wrote: »
    Putting out bales yesterday and felt the tractor 'drop'. Thought I'd gone into a hole or something. Looked out the window and there was a wheel lying on the ground beside me! I've broken the knuckle bit that the front wheel is attached! Now I'm thankful for a good neighbor who is coming for the next couple of days to help feed until I get the part fixed. Yet another neighbor is doing the fixin for me! Wow, I'm useless on my own!

I broke a stub axle on the front of a 4000 here with a bale up high on the front loader. Still get slagged about turning over a tractor on a perfectly level concrete yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Some older tractors had front housing cast and were really not able for a loader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Bullocks wrote: »
    We were on the beer one Sunday a couple years ago and a few of us went into a chinese . There was a cat dead out on the road and some lad caught it by the tail , brought it in and slapped it on the counter . "Ye won't get anymore till ye pay for the last few " and walked back out . The queue got short pretty quick :D

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057452774&page=2
    Read this recntly enough. Good laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Today is the feast day of St. Martin of Tours. It is also known as Martinmas. Here's a little bit about the tradition of killing fowl or sheep on Martinmas eve.
    http://irisharchaeology.ie/2016/11/animal-sacrifice-and-blood-letting-saint-martins-feast-in-ireland/
    There's a cathedral in Ypres, on the French - Belgian border dedicated to St.Martin.
    Ypres or "Wipers" as the allies (british) nicknamed it was the scene of some of the bloodiest battles of WW1.
    The cathedral was badly damaged on the frontline between Germany and the allies and was demolished after the war and rebuilt to the same plans.
    The area had a great tradition of honouring St.Martin with the children of Flanders usually participating in a procession carrying paper lanterns following a rider on horseback and then it was followed by a goose dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Monday mornings-woke to a neighbour in our drive to tell us that the weanings have broken out....got them back in and two posts had been broken on a line(same line I was working on sat-all the posts seem to be rotten now :(
    ). Started lashing rain as I drove in the stakes but got it sorted. Came back down to feed the cattle and being in a rush, I managed to snap the tine straight off the bobcat....went to use the tractor and the bucket was on it
    So had I change that! Finally fed the cattle and went in to a burnt breakfast....to top it all off my tonsilitis is back and had to call into the Drs to get another dose of antibiotics. Made it to work for 945 feeling like id already put in a days full work!! The joys of it!! I'm just hoping I've used up my quota for a while!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

God that's the morning from hell! I'm just thinking u did well to be in work for that time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

L1985 wrote: »
    Monday mornings-woke to a neighbour in our drive to tell us that the weanings have broken out....got them back in and two posts had been broken on a line(same line I was working on sat-all the posts seem to be rotten now :(
    ). Started lashing rain as I drove in the stakes but got it sorted. Came back down to feed the cattle and being in a rush, I managed to snap the tine straight off the bobcat....went to use the tractor and the bucket was on it
    So had I change that! Finally fed the cattle and went in to a burnt breakfast....to top it all off my tonsilitis is back and had to call into the Drs to get another dose of antibiotics. Made it to work for 945 feeling like id already put in a days full work!! The joys of it!! I'm just hoping I've used up my quota for a while!!

Go to work to relax after all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Muckit wrote: »
    God that's the morning from hell! I'm just thinking u did well to be in work for that time!!

Tell my boss that -I was actually only 15mins late! Checked myself in the mirror there and just realised I completely forgot to put on any makeup-the joys!!
    We were lucky thou-our neighbour helped us get them back in and that could have been an absolute nightmare! Also the tine snapped with such force a piece of metal came back and hit my leg....if that had been my face I'd have been in real trouble! So we can take the small positives....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

Some of the bucket reared calves are coughing here when they run up to trough. Been dosed and looked after. Seem healthy besides. Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭orm0nd

mayota wrote: »
    Some of the bucket reared calves are coughing here when they run up to trough. Been dosed and looked after. Seem healthy besides. Any tips?

virus I'd say ,,, some similar here

delaying housing to see if it clears,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Youd have to point tosome sort of pneumonia or hoose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Odelay

Awaiting a tow truck in the M7 where the road works are, it’s a nervy experience sitting here....

Odelay wrote: »
    Awaiting a tow truck in the M7 where the road works are, it’s a nervy experience sitting here....

You know the correct procedure is to leave the vehicle and get over the crash barrier and wait there.

Obviously don't exit via the driver's door.

(It'd be hard to know myself now if I'd follow that advice on a cold November night).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Odelay wrote: »
    Some day for delays on that stretch today. Went on it 4 times if there wasn't a tip then there was a breakdown

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭Base price

What dose did you use and when?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

In trouble for missing the OH on the Gerry Kelly show yesterday.

Now I have to find out who the hell Gerry Kelly is and how I get a podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭naughto

Off work sick with adhesions from appendix scar for not great to be honest any one have them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

naughto wrote: »
    Off work sick with adhesions from appendix scar for not great to be honest any one have them

When did you get them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

kowtow wrote: »
    In trouble for missing the OH on the Gerry Kelly show yesterday.

Now I have to find out who the hell Gerry Kelly is and how I get a podcast.
    This? (Slow Day.)

https://www.lmfm.ie/on-air/shows/late-lunch/late-lunch-podcasts-(1)/late-lunch-monday-november-12th-2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

That's the one you are a star, she could talk the hind legs off a donkey that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭naughto

whelan2 wrote: »
    When did you get them out?

About 12/13 yrs ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Is there ever arguments over long handle/short handle on forks/graipes/sprongs/sporks in other yards? I can't work with a short handle, Dad can't work with a long one! He managed to lose the graipe this summer putting out dung & he got one with a short handle & it's driving me demented already :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Is there ever arguments over long handle/short handle on forks/graipes/sprongs/sporks in other yards? I can't work with a short handle, Dad can't work with a long one! He managed to lose the graipe this summer putting out dung & he got one with a short handle & it's driving me demented already :pac:

Short handled yokes should be banned. You're forced to bend more with them. Have a short D handled shovel in the jeep for emergencies. Had to use it recently cleaning up after a load of lime tipped in the field. Christ what a dose. Remember seeing some gardening programme yrs ago and they said they were the worst thing invented.

2 sprongs?

2 sprongs?

That's what I'm thinking. Or search for the one i had worked with for the last 20 years!!! I had the tines all lovely & worn down, poor cows are liable to get a poke in the nose with the new one as they're so long.

That's what I'm thinking. Or search for the one i had worked with for the last 20 years!!! I had the tines all lovely & worn down, poor cows are liable to get a poke in the nose with the new one as they're so long.

That has to be a Triggers Broom?

Or else you're combing your hair with it.

• Advertisement

That has to be a Triggers Broom?

Or else you're combing your hair with it.

Not really, only got use when I was around as it had the long handle & Dad wouldn't use it! Thrifty sort of worker back then :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement