Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Under 20 2019 6 Nations and World Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 offyourfeet

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Aaron Smith is only 2 inches taller.

Casey will have to form his game to suit his size, but It shouldn't hold him back from playing top level rugby.

Only 5-6 Kgs lighter than smith too. Would be a great option from the bench to change it up from Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Smith is 7kg heavier; well over a stone in old money. That's not a lot when it's 20 stone versus 19 stone but it's significant when it's 13 stone versus 12. Smith is also something of an outlier even with that extra weight.

Casey punches above his weight too but his size is still clear when on the field at times. He's explosive from a standing start which masks it somewhat but you could see it at times yesterday when he got turned over or held up over the line.

I think Casey will be a great player and have a strong provincial career but I can't see how his size isn't a factor. The style of game will have to suit his style but we've seen that in the past with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 offyourfeet

Buer wrote: »
    Smith is 7kg heavier; well over a stone in old money. That's not a lot when it's 20 stone versus 19 stone but it's significant when it's 13 stone versus 12. Smith is also something of an outlier even with that extra weight.

I think Casey will be a great player and have a good provincial career but I can't see how his size isn't a factor.

Not disagreeing that it will be a challenge. But he is very young and has time to put on more weight.
    Parra is one kg heavier than him as well. He could model himself on those types of scrum halves. I wouldn’t be as quick to limit him to just a provincial career at this stage either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Lucas44 wrote: »
    The officiating in this tournament needs to be seriously looked at by world rugby imagine this going on in a senior game haha
    Its a development tournament in every sense. The refs will be developing towards the higher levels just like the players
    Wegians89 wrote: »
    If a player is injured you can replace them in the squad but say Baird gets a 8 week ban for the red and would be suspended for the remainder of the tournament could he be replaced in the squad? And would the senior World Cup be the same?
    Cant replace players due to foul play.
    Injury or compassionate reasons only. Same in world cup later in year

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

Stewart Moore on his way home injured, a big blow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Fox90

Where are you hearing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Fox90 wrote: »
    Where are you hearing that?

His instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jmn51927

Hodnett also gone according to his instagram

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fox90

Wonder who is next in line

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Worrying number of injuries, particularly in the backrow. Presume Watters is ruled out of the next game too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Jesus, World rugby have implemented all these tackle laws with the aim of improving player safety and yet they schedule in thes young lads for 4 day turnarounds in the highest intensity matches these lads will have ever played, to have that amount of injuries in a squad is an absolute farce,

This was probably the best Irish u20s team I've ever seen play and to see there chances in this tournament delt such a cruel blow with injuries is disappointing

These are the current injuries, probably more to come in the remainder of the games...extremely worrying - it seems to be the Ireland squad that is effected the most each year, could also be that I dont know the other countries squads well enough but from what I can see all of the other top nations have held onto their starting xv relatively well?

Hawkshaw
    Moloney
    Penny
    French
    Moore
    Watters
    Hodnett
    Allison
    Byrne
    Hughes

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

I'd hope that in years to come we'll see bigger gaps between games, using the extra cost as an excuse isn't acceptable. The health of players should be at the forefront of everything world rugby does.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Chris871 wrote: »
    Presume Watters is ruled out of the next game too.

I still don't understand how that incident wasn't reviewed in light of how contact with the head is being officiated at this tournament. We've seen multiple instance of high contact being rewarded with a card. Then we have this situation where a guy is properly knocked out and is wobbling badly as he leaves the field with the referee looking on. Even if the officials deemed no issue upon review, it makes no sense that they ignored the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

guapos wrote: »
    I'd hope that in years to come we'll see bigger gaps between games, using the extra cost as an excuse isn't acceptable. The health of players should be at the forefront of everything world rugby does.
    Been this way for years and cant see it changing now even with injuries lists

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Jesus, World rugby have implemented all these tackle laws with the aim of improving player safety and yet they schedule in thes young lads for 4 day turnarounds in the highest intensity matches these lads will have ever played, to have that amount of injuries in a squad is an absolute farce,

This was probably the best Irish u20s team I've ever seen play and to see there chances in this tournament delt such a cruel blow with injuries is disappointing

These are the current injuries, probably more to come in the remainder of the games...extremely worrying - it seems to be the Ireland squad that is effected the most each year, could also be that I dont know the other countries squads well enough but from what I can see all of the other top nations have held onto their starting xv relatively well?

Hawkshaw
    Moloney
    Penny
    French
    Moore
    Watters
    Hodnett
    Allison
    Byrne
    Hughes

If the Irish team is the only one losing players to injury at a high rate, then maybe the problem is with the Irish team and not the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,998 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We're threadbare in the backrow now. That's our entire starting backrow from the U20 Six Nations missing as well as a main replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Clegg wrote: »
    We're threadbare in the backrow now. That's our entire starting backrow from the U20 Six Nations missing as well as a main replacement.

I dont even know who they could bring in?, were probably looking at a reserve second row playing as a blind side, hopefully Allison is back.

Are there any u19 lads that could step up?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

I dont even know who they could bring in?, were probably looking at a reserve second row playing as a blind side, hopefully Allison is back.

Are there any u19 lads that could step up?

Luke clohessy, Mark Fleming, Michael mcgagh, ruadhan byron, neal moylett, Cian huxford are some back rows that were capped at u19s last year that could potentially called up

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Number 137

Luke Clohessy and David Ryan drafted into the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Blackheath

Number 137 wrote: »
    Luke Clohessy and David Ryan drafted into the squad.

Who is David Ryan and what position does he play in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Blackheath wrote: »
    Who is David Ryan and what position does he play in

James Ryan's younger brother, centre. Played in the u19s squad last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Blackheath

World rugby are to impose no further sanction on Ryan Baird following the disciplinary review.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

The Disciplinary Committee found that on detailed analysis there had not been direct contact between Baird’s arm and Harrison’s head and that Baird’s tackle had slipped up from the shoulder.

Does that mean they thought the red was wrong or that the red was sufficient :confused::confused:

My understanding is if it's not direct to the head then there is mitigation and it could be a yellow.... in which case we got royally ****ed by the refs decision

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Does that mean they thought the red was wrong or that the red was sufficient :confused::confused:

My understanding is if it's not direct to the head then there is mitigation and it could be a yellow.... in which case we got royally ****ed by the refs decision

It should have been a yellow. Which they can say with the benefit of time to deeply analyze the video. It was very close either way.

The only person who ****ed us really though was the player who made a reckless tackle and got himself sent off.

It should have been a yellow. Which they can say with the benefit of time to deeply analyze the video. It was very close either way.

The only person who ****ed us really though was the player who made a reckless tackle and got himself sent off.

I'm really not sure what Baird could do himself other than just not tackle the player at all. At first glance I thought somewhere between yellow and red. After the countless replays I was of the opinion that it was between a penalty and a yellow.

I thought the tip tackle at the end of the first half was a much more obvious red card situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

So a player makes a yellow card tackle, the ref gets the decision wrong and your instinct is to blame the player? **** right off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

D14Rugby wrote: »
    So a player makes a yellow card tackle, the ref gets the decision wrong and your instinct is to blame the player? **** right off

The player went high so it was 100% his fault. When I saw it, I thought red card in this tournament. If it was the Pro 14, HC, Super Rugby etc. then I suspect it would have been yellow or just a penalty.

D14Rugby wrote: »

At the very best the player should be blamed anyway for making a dangerous tackle and getting sin binned?

Under absolutely no situation is the player blameless. Not sure what your problem with that is, totally bizarre reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    The player went high so it was 100% his fault. When I saw it, I thought red card in this tournament. If it was the Pro 14, HC, Super Rugby etc. then I suspect it would have been yellow or just a penalty.

The player made a yellow card tackle and got a red for it because the ref saw something that didn't happen the player has some blame but to say its 100% his fault when the ref got the decision wrong is wrong

• Advertisement

I'm really not sure what Baird could do himself other than just not tackle the player at all. At first glance I thought somewhere between yellow and red. After the countless replays I was of the opinion that it was between a penalty and a yellow.

I thought the tip tackle at the end of the first half was a much more obvious red card situation.

+1

Advertisement