Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Under 20 2019 6 Nations and World Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Well this is just disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

wow

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

SuprSi wrote: »
    Wow, what a try

Unreal try but wtf was that tackle attempt by flannery, needed to cut him down low not try and grab his jersey with his hands

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Tackling from some of the subs had been v poor

Mckee rolled away from his two support players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Out on their feet. Injuries, England game four days ago, red card, just nothing left in the tank now.

Very poor referee display but given Flannery should have got red, hard to say it affected outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭DonVito

At least they got the BP against England. Keeps them in the hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Some of the tackling in the last 20 mins has been laughable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Two games for the price of one!

Excellent Ireland for almost an hour, followed by dismal Ireland for 20 minutes.

Hopefully they can pull themselves together for the Italians who by then will probably have lost 2 from 2.

Final Table could end up with 3 teams on 10 points. I assume we can't be bottom of the three, having beaten the English.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Excellent game. There's a great crop of players coming through for us. Thought the ref was good, contributed to a great spectacle.

• Advertisement

Just found the disciplinary report after the first round of games:-

https://www.world.rugby/u20/news/429067

The English lad got 10 weeks reduced to 5 for saying sorry and being polite.

What caught my eye was this bit:-

The following players received High Risk Contact Technique Warnings arising from match-day one under the trial in operation at the World Rugby U20 Championship 2019 with respect to upright tackles which result in contact with an opponent’s head:

Santiago Chocobares (Argentina No.12)
    Lachlan Lonergan (Australia No.2)
    Julien Delbois (France No.12)
    Jonathan Wren (Ireland No.11)
    Ronan Watters (Ireland No.20)

James Mollentze (South Africa No.10)

Coaches now have the opportunity to review the player’s tackling technique to the satisfaction of the Citing Commissioner in order to have the first warning removed from the players’ records. Two Technique Warnings in the tournament will result in a one-match suspension.

Playing after a red against us perhaps gives some context to the English result.

Playing after a red against us perhaps gives some context to the English result.

Ireland got the red after 20 minutes, the England Red came with 20 to go.

Australia looked much fresher, the card compounded this, I think with a full pack we'd have put a gap on the scoreboard by 50.

No excuse for the late defense, individual mistakes more than structural failings.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Ireland got the red after 20 minutes, the England Red came with 20 to go.

Australia looked much fresher, the card compounded this, I think with a full pack we'd have put a gap on the scoreboard by 50.

No excuse for the late defense, individual mistakes more than structural failings.

The England red came with 20 to go but they did have two other periods of 10 minutes down to 14 aswell, one being their fly half

Lucas44 wrote: »

they did have two other periods of 10 minutes down to 14 aswell, one being their fly half

Very harsh on Tuilagi it was too.

I wonder are smaller players being coached to duck as bigger ones close in and attempt to tackle them!

If not, it's only a matter of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Surely Baird wont get a ban for that...that was a yellow for me all day.

Anyone know what Irish players are injured in that game? I didnt get to watch it and wondering will there be any players left in the squad if they do make it to knockouts

who do Ireland need to win/lose in order to qualify?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭DonVito

who do Ireland need to win/lose in order to qualify?

The max they can get is 10 points now. So very unlikely they go through.

They need Argentina to lose to France, and they basically need New Zealand to lose to Scotland and South Africa.

There's other ways to go through but their points difference makes those even more unlikely.

Suppose Ireland could absolutely destroy Italy, and England beat Australia , also If South Africa beat new zealand and New Zealand dont get a bonus point against Scotland

Lol NZ already have 2 tries so unlikely

• Advertisement

If England can not win by too much here against Italy that would be ideal, England have rested a chunk of their 1stxv so they will be fully loaded agains Australia and Australia will have to play two tough games in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

England in big trouble here

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Only watched it now. Australia are a good side. Have some quality coming through. It's worth noting that they were 10-0 up when the numbers were even.

I thought the way the game was refereed was beneficial to Australia. Their back row was good and the referee was happy to whistle very quickly once anyone got hands on the ball. I thought something really should have been made of the Watters incident. If he's strictly officiating head contact, here's a guy that appeared to be out cold but had a knock on given against him. He was clearly concussed and wobbling as he was helped off. There's a TMO and it's clear head contact has occurred.

Baird's tackle was a red under new guidelines. No complaints. He should be a bit cuter though. Admitted fault with his reaction instantly.

I thought a lot of guys went well though for long spells. The entire starting front row (Clarkson looks like a great player), Ryan, Moore and Hodnett continue to impress. I thought our halfbacks were mediocre. Both hugely talented but their decision making was iffy. Never a try at all for Casey although I thought he was better than his fellow Irish man who was 9 for Australia. His passing was comfortably better.

Worth keeping in mind that this was a very highly rated Australian side. Any sort of win would have been a great result but it didn't happen on the day. Onwards and this side looks like it will deliver at least a half dozen provincial regulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Buer wrote: »
    Never a try at all for Casey although I thought he was better than his fellow Irish man who was 9 for Australia. His passing was comfortably better.

I've never seen an Irish underage scrum half with as good a pass as Casey. In fact I haven't seen many senior Irish scrum halves with a better pass than Casey. It's scary to think that it's only going to get better.

Shame he isn't a couple of inches taller...although if he is good enough (which he seems to be), that won't matter too much

Pretty much agree. I can't see how his size doesn't hold him back though. A bigger scrum half gets that ball down. I know they gave the try but it wouldn't be given at pro level with pro referees. The lad isn't even 12 stone. He's significantly smaller than Dave Shanahan for example.

His passing has more zip than any other 9 in Ireland including Murray. The only other are where I can fault Casey is his kicking which really needs to improve. I havent seen him have a match without significant kicking issues.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    England in big trouble here

But they scraped through - by a couple of points.

Italy could give us a bit of trouble on Wednesday, if they've anything left in the tank.

But they scraped through - by a couple of points.

Italy could give us a bit of trouble on Wednesday, if they've anything left in the tank.

think a fully loaded England could beat Australia, Ireland have It all to do against Italy, Italy dont have much to play for

Hopefully no ban for Baird and the lads can put a serious score on them

I'd be shocked if he didn't get a ban of some sort. Murray is a great replacement. Not much between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Ireland are out.

There's no scenario Ireland get to the semis without somehow beating Italy by 60 points.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,359 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Buer wrote: »
    Pretty much agree. I can't see how his size doesn't hold him back though. A bigger scrum half gets that ball down. I know they gave the try but it wouldn't be given at pro level with pro referees. The lad isn't even 12 stone. He's significantly smaller than Dave Shanahan for example.

His passing has more zip than any other 9 in Ireland including Murray. The only other are where I can fault Casey is his kicking which really needs to improve. I havent seen him have a match without significant kicking issues.

Aaron Smith is only 2 inches taller.

Casey will have to form his game to suit his size, but It shouldn't hold him back from playing top level rugby.

Advertisement