Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Clubcard 7th July best day ever.

Options
  • 21-06-2018 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is a bargain alert or deal.
    My local Tesco had signs up saying 7th July will be the most rewarding day ever. It might be worth keeping a look out for it.
    Or somebody might find out exactly what the offer is!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Before anyone reports this thread, going to allow it to stay here for a bit to see if anyone else can post some info on it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Seems to be packing bags for the Irish Wheelchair Association.

https://www.iwa.ie/tesco/

It's kinda like an "internal good feeling for the soul" reward

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

van_beano wrote: »
    Seems to be packing bags for the Irish Wheelchair Association.

https://www.iwa.ie/tesco/

It's kinda like an "internal good feeling for the soul" reward

The reward involved your clubcard!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

The brand also plans to add to the list of 400 Clubcard Reward partners which currently features top lifestyle, travel and home retailers including Pizza Express, Thorpe Park and Uber.

A lot of UK info there.
    Hopefully the Irish arm will have some decent offers going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭vickers209

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭123654789

Be great if they did the Double the value in wine promo again :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭bromley52

I was told in Douglas that there will be triple point on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

bromley52 wrote: »
    I was told in Douglas that there will be triple point on the day.

Hardly worth getting excited about so. An extra 2% back is nothing to write home about unless you are spending big.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hardly worth getting excited about so. An extra 2% back is nothing to write home about unless you are spending big.

yeah, triple points would be pretty poor. I remember years ago they were far more "rewarding" days, getting 25% points back on certain things.

I remember once they were giving 50% back in points on cds, dvds & games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Noticed the signs in my local Tesco. No ideal what it entails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Tesco points aren't worth the value they were a couple of years ago. They changed the structure & devalued, making it much harder to accumulate points. I have the Tesco credit card & they're even closing that down, sending their customers to 'Avant card' :

"Your Avant Credit card will provide you with the same earn rate as you have today, which is 1 point for every €2 Tesco Spend and 1 point for every €8 spend elsewhere. At transfer, we will issue you with a new ClubCard so you can still collect points and enjoy the benefits of ClubCard."

My quarterly vouchers are consistently less than half they were 2 years ago. There doesn't appear to be any other credit card on offer in the Irish market which offers any kind of loyalty benefits.

Back to the OP, not sure about 7 July, but I wouldn't get my hopes up, based on recent Tesco points experience !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think the offer is triple points.
    No issue here with accumulating points it's always being 1 point for every €1 spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,705 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hopefully they retain accepting competitor coupons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

banchang wrote: »
    There doesn't appear to be any other credit card on offer in the Irish market which offers any kind of loyalty benefits.

KBC give you back 1% on grocery and online shopping. Up to a max of €10 a month.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

rubadub wrote: »
    yeah, triple points would be pretty poor. I remember years ago they were far more "rewarding" days, getting 25% points back on certain things.

I remember once they were giving 50% back in points on cds, dvds & games.

I got my Wii for 50% off, I remember going back in later that day and getting a pair of DS's too, now that a bargain offer...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Tesco points aren't worth the value they were a couple of years ago. They changed the structure & devalued, making it much harder to accumulate points. I have the Tesco credit card & they're even closing that down, sending their customers to 'Avant card' :

"Your Avant Credit card will provide you with the same earn rate as you have today, which is 1 point for every €2 Tesco Spend and 1 point for every €8 spend elsewhere. At transfer, we will issue you with a new ClubCard so you can still collect points and enjoy the benefits of ClubCard."

My quarterly vouchers are consistently less than half they were 2 years ago. There doesn't appear to be any other credit card on offer in the Irish market which offers any kind of loyalty benefits.

Back to the OP, not sure about 7 July, but I wouldn't get my hopes up, based on recent Tesco points experience !!!

I get €225 back yearly with AIB. Not great but better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Me too.. I didn't realise though that the AvantCard was going to be linked to the Clubcard that's decent news I spose, esp if they have it online too.

Does our Tesco card not give us 1 point per 1 Euro spent in Tesco no? I know about the 1 point for €8 elsewhere, which is a joke compared to the good ol days.

Edit: found it - 3 Clubcard Points for every €2 you spend in Tesco and 1 Clubcard Point for every €8 spend outside of Tesco is the way it is today, so they are cutting back on Tesco spend too and earn rate is not the same per the AvantCard blurb.

I think the offer is triple points.
    No issue here with accumulating points it's always being 1 point for every €1 spent!

Not on the Tesco credit card - this was slashed in 2016 to 1 point for every €8, from one point for every €2 spent - a massive deterioration in the offering.

Some background

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/tesco-bank-cuts-credit-card-rewards.200257/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Not on the Tesco credit card - this was slashed in 2016 to 1 point for every €8, from one point for every €2 spent - a massive deterioration in the offering.

Some background

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/tesco-bank-cuts-credit-card-rewards.200257/

Wow their FAQ still says 3 points for every €2 spent via card in Tesco...

Edit: sorry I see you are talking about the non Tesco spend with their card.

Would you agree then that the AvantCard blurb is misleading if not downright sneaky?

I used to buy all the drink for my company for office parties/staff functions etc in Tesco.
    Would offer to buy and deliver it for free when Tesco had wine/beer specials on, offer was always accepted.
    Clubcard got a massive boost every 3 months :)

• Advertisement

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Wow their FAQ still says 3 points for every €2 spent via card in Tesco...

Edit: sorry I see you are talking about the non Tesco spend with their card.

Would you agree then that the AvantCard blurb is misleading if not downright sneaky?

Yes a bit so. I must say I wont be sorry to leave Tesco Card/Bank :

1. They block the card at slightest hint of an unusual transaction eg booking long haul flight with Emirates, or buying a phone online. At least once a month (not joking) my card has been blocked, for them wanted to 'run through' last 10 transactions for security purposes before they unblock it. I've been at Tesco checkout (the irony) with a trolley full of groceries only for card to be declined.

2. My wife has a card on the same account - if together we have more than 10 transactions in a day (rare, but when shopping on holiday this can happen!) the card is automatically blocked. You must call them long distance from wherever you are to get them to reset the transaction counter to zero, which unblocks the card. Absolutely infuriating.

3. No online account facility.

Avantcard can only be better - cannot be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/family-kids-news/offers-prizes-tesco-clubcard-day-12818314.amp
    On July 7th, Tesco stores across the country will be celebrating the very first Clubcard Day with party games, prizes and crazy offers.

There’ll be thousands of spot prizes up for grabs on the day, including tickets to Dublin Zoo, Milano pizza vouchers, Odeon cinema tickets and a whole lot more.

There will also be a chance to win thousands of extra Clubcard points, with customers getting the chance to ‘Scan it Lucky’ simply by shopping and scanning their Clubcards as usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mollymac57

Re Avantcard, has anyone looked at other alternatives? I know I can opt not to sign up with them but wondering is there any better CC provider. I’m with UB so might just go with them. Pity Revolut don’t do a CC

• Registered Users Posts: 85,593 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Scan it lucky for free shopping?

Pay for each item once! :rolleyes:
    Better odds than throwing a full shop in all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Me too.. I didn't realise though that the AvantCard was going to be linked to the Clubcard that's decent news I spose, esp if they have it online too.

Does our Tesco card not give us 1 point per 1 Euro spent in Tesco no? I know about the 1 point for €8 elsewhere, which is a joke compared to the good ol days.

Edit: found it - 3 Clubcard Points for every €2 you spend in Tesco and 1 Clubcard Point for every €8 spend outside of Tesco is the way it is today, so they are cutting back on Tesco spend too and earn rate is not the same per the AvantCard blurb.
    I'm pretty sure that the Tesco spend is unchanged. It was always 1 pt per euro spent in Tesco (usual Clubcard rate), plus 1 pt per €2 spent if paying with Tesco credit card. Therefore 3 pts per 2 euro spent in Tesco, paid for with Clubcard. That remains the case.
    What has changed is that whereas the 1 pt per €2 spent used to extend to all purchases, that has gone to 1 pt per €8 spent on non Tesco purchases.
    I imagine the change was brought in to make it more attractive to another provider to take off their hands.
    Good news that avant will be offering the same deal though, my points over the past number of years have meant free phone plans for my wife and me both worth about €900 p.a. plus a few trips out with the kids. As long as the triple points against their phone plans remain, I'll be happy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭sector_000

Yes a bit so. I must say I wont be sorry to leave Tesco Card/Bank :

1. They block the card at slightest hint of an unusual transaction eg booking long haul flight with Emirates, or buying a phone online. At least once a month (not joking) my card has been blocked, for them wanted to 'run through' last 10 transactions for security purposes before they unblock it. I've been at Tesco checkout (the irony) with a trolley full of groceries only for card to be declined.

2. My wife has a card on the same account - if together we have more than 10 transactions in a day (rare, but when shopping on holiday this can happen!) the card is automatically blocked. You must call them long distance from wherever you are to get them to reset the transaction counter to zero, which unblocks the card. Absolutely infuriating.

3. No online account facility.

Avantcard can only be better - cannot be worse.

Totally agree with your points.
    Anytime I travel I feel I must bring a backup card.
    Plus infuriatingly the mailed statements often arrive late! If it wasn't for the club card points I would have left them long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

Have to agree with some of the comments here re the stopping/blocking/late,late statements.Have had many battles with them and then spoke to a very decent Scottish man at their Customer Services one day who sorted everything as best he could and then informed me that I will be able to do all this on line myself with the new Avant Card.He did say it was annoying at present re the Tesco Card but the new Avant Card would give control to the customer.(Herself swore by the Tesco card,the points,the points she d say,I 'd reply that it was very easy to give someone points if they were overcharged in the first place!)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

sector_000 wrote: »
    Totally agree with your points.
    Anytime I travel I feel I must bring a backup card.
    Plus infuriatingly the mailed statements often arrive late! If it wasn't for the club card points I would have left them long ago.

I thought it was just me this happened to.

I used my Tesco Credit Card to pay for everything.
    I used to get €70 to €80 back each mailing.

Then I kept getting phone calls saying my card had been "compromised". They blamed this on online shopping. One year I think I had my card cancelled four times resulting in a new one being issued with all the hassle that causes.

Gave up eventually. To this day I am convinced this was deliberate on Tesco`s behalf.

• Advertisement

I too always receive a late bill, sometimes 20 days after it was dated! Ridiculous. Hope avantcard is better, but I can see them phasing out the Tesco points.

Advertisement