Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling bad about leaving work on time

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭subpar

Staying back late is a culture thing , it needs to be controlled from both the top and the bottom. Senior managers when asked about it may often say there is no need for it or it does or should not happen whilst at the same time knowing full well that is is happening and doing nothing to stop it and even taking advantage of it to get work done on the cheap.

Lower ranking staff in a position to stay late will often do so in order to impress their managers as opposed to other staff members who have to leave on time in order to connect with buses or trains or get the creches before closure time.

The best way to end the culture is that a different staff member has the task at normal end of work time every evening of going round the building and turning off all the lights
    simple but effective ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I often get my best ideas or side of work hours and often work in bursts where I'm in the zone. Very common where creativity is involved.

People aren't all the same.

However working outside your hours constantly or under duress is entirely different.

Also people working long hours to great an impression is a bad habit. Something managers need to manage. The work often suffers when people do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

If you work for free you'll always be busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Office politics are often more about perception than productivity. The only way to counter that other then playing the same game, is via hard numbers. Some people are too stupid to understand the numbers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Myself and a colleague finished a biggish project last Tuesday at 5.15, a day ahead of schedule.
    I suggested we grab a meal and drink to celebrate.
    He said he wanted to hold on in the office until at least 7 to forward the documents to the boss men 'to look good'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

This topic is always a massive hot potato when its brought up. The simple fact is you are only a number at the end of the day, be it a new start or an old established company. If you couldn't come to work because you were sick or in an accident you would be replaced in a day or two.

Staying late either for show or to get extra work done is a mugs game because the more you do, the more you are EXPECTED to do creating a cycle where you have set the bar for what you can do. Ignore the people commenting and go home on time, I always felt sorry for people who work long hours routinely, its time they can never ever get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

_Brian wrote: »
    Sometimes shiit happens.
    I worked a job for 13 years and it was 12.5 hour shifts, I was responsible for personnel safety among other things.
    If an accident happened near end of shift I could be there for
    Maybe an extra 2-3 hours completing paperwork and mandatory investigation reporting.

Sometimes jobs legitimately run over, sometimes it’s a bad culture in the company that expects it. There’s a huge difference.

How on earth did you do so many years of 12.5 hours shifts you must have been exhausted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Are the new staff properly trained? I think they are staying late as they have the same workload as everyone but take longer to do it. It's normal and they will speed up in a few weeks

I'm new in my job and I stay late as there are pretty much zero written procedures and the other staff are not particularly helpful. I wrote over a 100 page procedure document with loads of screenshots. It wasn't to impress anyone, it was more to help me! It should have existed before I got it here but alas that's the way it is
    Recently I've joined a team with lots of new starts who never leave on time,

I feel that the team lacks the efficiency that I'm used to.

Give it a month or six weeks and see where it is. I think it'll change. You can't expect new starters to be as instantly brilliant as someone there several years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

What a narrow minded opinion. Very condescending also. Only two reasons? Is that all you could think of or is that all there is? Anything to back this up?

I think some people on this thread have some severely limited work experience.

Strange.....it's your attitude that I find condescending on this thread. I don't think anyone is claiming their personal view of the OPs issue is the standard view across all sectors.

OP I'd also take the view that it's up to you to assess the situation. Personally I get in and do the required work to a good standard and leave on time. I've found staying beyond that doesn't improve much as there's always going to be something new that pops up that has to be done. If that sounds familiar to you then go home when you want and enjoy your personal time.

Advertisement