Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2018 - Round 8 – France

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Alonso hasn't caught up with sleep from last weekend.

Not the worst GP this year but no classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭duckofdeath

Didn't turn out as bad as feared! Not happy with the winner (as as Ferrari fan), but the race wasn't bad! Nice to see Kmag beating one of the six unbeatables, too. (With a bit of help from Vettel's late braking)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Did it rain?

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Did it rain?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,035 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Good to see a Kimi and Verstappen get a good result
    Bottas is a bit unlucky this year

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Thought it was an awful grand prix. After watching F1 for 20 years, I'm finding myself losing interest in this sport at a very quick rate.

Just heard Alonso's radio message. Can't see him sticking McLaren for another season. Not even for Freddo bars

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭duckofdeath

Yeah, he sounded like he's had enough of F1 development driving. :)
    It's not a big surprise maybe, he's been eyeing that "big 3" for a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Burkie1203 wrote:
    Just heard Alonso's radio message. Can't see him sticking McLaren for another season. Not even for Freddo bars

He's dropping heavy hints that he would like to drive for Ferrari next year. This is not an unlikely a scenario as it may appear. Briatore, who is his manager, is a shrewd operator. The question is would it be possible to accomodate two "big beasts" in the one team as well as the enormous wage costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

chicorytip wrote: »
    He's dropping heavy hints that he would like to drive for Ferrari next year. This is not an unlikely a scenario as it may appear. Briatore, who is his manager, is a shrewd operator. The question is would it be possible to accomodate two "big beasts" in the one team as well as the enormous wage costs.

Fair points but couldn't see it happen. Charles Lerlerc is being geared for that role(probably in 2 years)in the meantime, Vettel will want Kimi as his number 2.

To be honest, I find it ridiculous that Hamilton and Vettel get such influence over the number 2 in their respective teams. Surely to drive your very best, you need to be challenged by an equally fast team-mate. Anyway, it will be interesting to see Ferrari and/or Mercedes take matters into their own hands should either team throw away a constructor title because of the number 2.

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Fair points but couldn't see it happen. Charles Lerlerc is being geared for that role(probably in 2 years)in the meantime, Vettel will want Kimi as his number 2.

To be honest, I find it ridiculous that Hamilton and Vettel get such influence over the number 2 in their respective teams. Surely to drive your very best, you need to be challenged by an equally fast team-mate. Anyway, it will be interesting to see Ferrari and/or Mercedes take matters into their own hands should either team throw away a constructor title because of the number 2.

Any word on the new engine regs being approved.

Found 2 channel on my sat dish when re-tuning it today. Freesports and Motorsport tv. German DTM and Nascar. Not really my thing but so much more enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Better than the last few races, but then that wouldn't be too hard in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Prediction Analysis
    Hamilton will strike back <- Pass
    Haas will be strong <- Pass
    The French drivers will do well <- Mixed, Leclerc did well, Gasly good in Qualy but race incident. Grosjean dropped out of points
    First points for Grosjean <- FAIL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭weisses

Vettel driver of the day :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭weisses

Harika wrote: »

And Teams using Ferrari engines

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I enjoyed the early part of the race. It must have been boring for Hamilton up the front all day in fairness.
    I agree he is a great driver, but my god he just lacks a bit of class the way he always has to get sly digs in at the opposition in his post race comments even when he wins.
    Vettel admitted he made a mistake , and did well to recover something out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

HA .harsh , he was as quick going by the Renaults as the Customer Ferrari .

The over take stats will be skew'd but at least it made it interseting . felt sorry for Ocon and Gasly figured they would be well in the battle for points , not guartneed them as the last 4 spots for points is getting very crowded as the Races go on.
    Kimi Did ok to get his podium finish but Should have been there much earlier in the race .
    Good Race from Kevin Magnussen again kinda shown up Roman ...cannot believe he still has not scored points this season given that the Haas Can be competive at some races.

Charles Leclerc is rookie of the year even . He looks hard to overtake with the faster cars behind him he just seems to be able make him self wide . Fantastic over the whole weekend . Hope he keeps it up.

Willams , thats a GP2 car (thanks Alonso) No Idea what they can do to solve that . Even if you think their drivers are poor the car is just way behind .

Mclaren , The Greatest Driver on the Grid should probably just leave the sport . Didnt like his comments on Saturday where he chose to point out how he was 8-0 against Stoffel Vandoorne on qualifiying . Bit petty and I suppose since the truth is now out that the car is ****e he just turned his attention to Vandoorne. At least Vandoorne Tried to get the car into the points and Ran in them for a Spell, Alsono didnt bother his hole , just complained . He spent way too much of the race sitting behind the 2 Williams cars and given how close the cars ahead actually were when the pitstops came he could have been further up....not finish aside .

Force India , just in hard luck for the weekend not much can be said about that.

Renault , Sainz was unlucky with his power issue towards the end , Renault have pulled clear of Mclaren now on Points so thats a plus for them Both cars in the points .

On Honda : Dont mind Brandon hartley seems decent enough but He is too far behind Gasly on qualifing pace and Race pace .
    Outta the points again and a mile away from actually been in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Only got to see the Channel 4 highlight this evening. Have to say the piece Channel 4 done at beginning was really good.

The race itself was ok.

Charles Leclerc had to be driver of the day. He drove superb.

Hamilton was untouchable. Had an easy race out front.

Vettel not at 100 percent. Silly mistake by him. Should not be making mistakes like that.

Max Verstappen drove a very good race too.

Silly mistake by Pierre Gasly.

Mclaren just terrible. I agree with joeface. I think Alonso should retire and do the WEC and Indy 500 next year. He is wasted driving that Mclaren. How much longer does he want to drive around the back grid of F1 and in midfield the odd time. It backwards Mclaren ae going.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement